http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 03:24:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most anticipated titles of Q1 2014  (Read 759 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:10:15 AM »

Can you believe there are 34 (not counting all the indies) titles coming in just Q1 alone?   Prepare your wallet...it's gonna hurt worse than the Steam Sale.

http://www.gamingtrend.com/2014/01/01/a-month-with-xbox-one-whats-working-and-whats-not/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 12:16:04 AM »

Think you meant this.
http://gamingtrend.com/2014/01/01/anticipated-video-games-q1-2014/
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:30:34 AM »

While there are a few I will probably buy none of them really jump out to me as DAY ONE MUST OWN.

My Shortlist
Broken Age (Technically already own)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Watchdogs (Maybe)
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 01:46:26 AM »

Thief

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 01:51:24 AM »

Are you telling me that 'Watch Dogs' and 'Infamous: Second Son' are coming out on the same week in March?!  eek

That week Imma gonna take off work. Gaming holiday!!  nod
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 02:46:09 AM »

Yeah, I think my wallet is pretty safe.  Other than the FF and Thief titles, there really isn't anything there that is terribly interesting.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 03:10:05 AM »

Buying for sure (barring very negative reviews):
Bravely Default (3DS, 2/7) - someone forgot to mention this in the top list. Tongue Also an RPG that plays like a Square game back in the SNES era (when they could do no wrong).
Watch Dogs (PS4 or PC, not sure yet) - wanted to jump into the next gen gaming world with this title alone.

Maybe:
Thief (PC) - still not sure how well this is going to turn out. It has been giving off a LOT of warning signs.
Infamous: Second Son (PS4) - still not sure about this. Never played the second title, either.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 03:13:37 AM »

Titanfall and Watch Dogs are pre-ordered already.   Thief I'll wait for a Steam Sale before I grab

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 04:58:14 AM »

Way too much stuff in March that I want, don't know what it will do outside of Titanfall.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 05:23:47 AM »

Being a gamer nowadays can be overwhelming. I almost wish there were fewer consoles and handhelds. Between the Xbox, XB1, PS3, PS4, Vita, 3DS, WiiU, iPad and PC I have waaaaay too many platforms to keep up with. And each has a strong stable of upcoming titles.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 06:32:53 AM »

Thief, Titanfall, and Watch Dogs are my only real interests. I have no interest in all the last-gen crap. Just die already. smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 02, 2014, 05:23:47 AM

Being a gamer nowadays can be overwhelming. I almost wish there were fewer consoles and handhelds. Between the Xbox, XB1, PS3, PS4, Vita, 3DS, WiiU, iPad and PC I have waaaaay too many platforms to keep up with. And each has a strong stable of upcoming titles.

Try writing a review on all of em.  slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 02, 2014, 06:32:53 AM

I have no interest in all the last-gen crap. Just die already. smile

I want a few last-gen items (i.e. South Park) but for the most part, yea.  Every dollar spent on last gen is a dollar not spent on current gen. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 03:25:55 PM »

My vote is most certainly for <insert name of overhyped, half baked sequel with a Roman numeral at the end, that probably shouldn't have any more sequels but the publisher demands running what was once a fresh idea 6 feet into the ground>!  disgust icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 02, 2014, 03:25:55 PM

My vote is most certainly for <insert name of overhyped, half baked sequel with a Roman numeral at the end, that probably shouldn't have any more sequels but the publisher demands running what was once a fresh idea 6 feet into the ground>!  disgust icon_razz

Nice try, but these days instead of a roman numeral it'd be a series reboot and reuse the name of the original game.  icon_wink
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »

Wasn't Dyling Light supposed to be in Q1?
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »

Dark Souls 2, TitanFall and InFamous are on my radar, for no particular reason I can put my finger on Watchdogs is slipping off my to do list.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 02, 2014, 01:41:50 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 02, 2014, 05:23:47 AM

Try writing a review on all of em.  slywink

I'd try writing a few of those, if you're interested.  I could offer a unique perspective of one person with a severe case of gaming ADD and a huge backlog and answer the question:  is this worth adding to that backlog to play slightly now and shelve or forget until later when the sale comes up and I realize I already own it?  biggrin

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »

Watchdogs
Titanfall
Diablo III
MLB the show14

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »

as for that list, here's my quick take on them, with my Backlog Potential Rating.
Spoiler for for those who care to read:
AC Liberation HD:  now that I have a Vita, I'm more likely to find a cheap/used copy of it there.  BPR:  80

Tomb Raider:  not ready to double dip, but could be an easy pickup later.  BPR:  60

DBZ:  last gen, fighting game.  pass.  BPR:  10

Broken Age:  Point and click adventure? backlog is full of these;  not sure why I buy them when I haven't played anything in the genre other than TWD.  may buy on impulse or at bundle pricing.  BPR:  70

Broken Sword:  I'm sure I have at least 2 copies of a game in this series somewhere.  same logic as above.  BPR:  70

Fable Anniversay:  Loved this back in the day and tied for favorite in series with #2.  Waiting to see whether a fresh coat of paint is worth revisiting as I rarely do that on games not named Elder Scrolls: [Province]  BPR:  40

Lightning Returns:  My last few attempts with the JRPG genre died within a week's worth of playtime.  BPR:  10

PvZ GW:  looks great, tower defense games are fun.  would backlog on PC.  BPR:  90

EDF 2025:  played the last one, which apparently wasn't by the same team.  plus, 360 only.  BPR:  10

DKC TF:  on a console I don't own and am not planning on getting:  BPR:  20

Castlevania LOS 2:  sequel to a game I have backlogged and briefly considered backlogging on PC.  BPR:  30

Thief:  Actually high enough on the list of B-games to warrant a Brief playthrough before backlogging.  BPR:  70 (after a week's worth of play)

Tales of Symphonia:  subject to JRPG rule.  plus, this is two games in one.  that's like twice the backlog for the same price!  BPR:  40

Professor Layton:  worth dusting off the 3DS for, but I've pretty much stopped playing the system due to backlog overload syndrome.  BPR:  10 frown

NGZ:  ninjas vs zombies.  BPR:  90

South Park:  had this come out in the mid 00's, I would have been in it like Cartman's mom at a German [redacted] festival.  now, not as up for this.  BPR:  60

Dark Souls 2:  played the first for small chunk of one week.  I'd try this one for a night and call it good.  BPR:  30

Titanfall:  hoping for more than just MP mechs v soldiers as cool as that sounds.  BPR:  60

FFX remake:  double the jrpg fun.  oddly enough, would consider a pickup for the vita, but I'm not sure why.  BPR:  40

MGS V GZ:  isn't this supposed to be on both gens in March?  waiting for PS4 version and 2nd (or 3rd?) chance on MGS3/PW replay.  BPR: 80 (after 1 week) as is without replay or 90 if waiting for replay.

Watchdogs:  1/3 of games directly tied to me getting a PS4.  I keep dropping this down to a wait-for-reviews state, then I watch the montage of gameplay clips and it shoots right back up.  BPR:  50 (split with Infamous)

Infamous Second Son:  2/3 of games which led me to get a PS4.  running around with super powers in my birth city.  BPR:  50 (split with Watchdogs)

D3 Reaper of Souls:  waiting for PS4 version as it looks like a lot of fun.  BPR:  70

Daylight:  sounds like a lot of creepy potential.  BPR:  80

Super Time Force:  looks like the kind of game I play once after steam sales put it at 66% off.  BPR:  66

Wolfenstein:  itch for good WW2 FPS vs not-quite-ww2 setting.  BPR:  70

UFC:  fighting game.  BPR:  10

Carmageddon: good after work commute game.  BPR:  80

D4:  interesting sounding game on platform I don't own.  BPR:  20

Nascar:  realistic racing game.  hasn't been my thing since Burnout was a thing.  plus, last gen.  BPR:  10

Wolf Among Us:  adventure game anti-impulse vs TWD-inspired adventure game impulse.  BPR:  80

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »

There are only a handful of those games I'll be picking up (as my last-gen machine just became a fulltime Skylanders / Minecraft machine for my son).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »

Caine - what was the other title you chose as a reason to pick up a next-gen system?  I saw 1/3 and 2/3 but no 3/3. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 08:47:34 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 02, 2014, 08:18:40 PM

Caine - what was the other title you chose as a reason to pick up a next-gen system?  I saw 1/3 and 2/3 but no 3/3. 

The Division.  sadly, not a Q1 game.  I've got those 3 plus Witcher 3 and Dying Light as first day buys.  to be honest, I had considered skipping out, but seeing those games in action and knowing what Sony's 1st party devs can be capable of convinced me to buy in.  Watchdogs was going to be the bundled in game when I got the system as well. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »

Thanks for reading btw.  I added the spoiler tags just so I wouldn't blow up the thread.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 03:32:02 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 02, 2014, 08:47:34 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 02, 2014, 08:18:40 PM

The Division.  sadly, not a Q1 game.  I've got those 3 plus Witcher 3 and Dying Light as first day buys.  to be honest, I had considered skipping out, but seeing those games in action and knowing what Sony's 1st party devs can be capable of convinced me to buy in.  Watchdogs was going to be the bundled in game when I got the system as well. 

The Division looks incredible.  I love the post-apocalypse gameplay without a zombie in sight.  People are FAR more scary in their desperation than any monster we could create....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 05:05:12 AM »

... and it's an RPG.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 06:58:18 AM »

Quote from: Purge on January 04, 2014, 05:05:12 AM

... and it's an RPG.

And I can FINALLY close that damned cop car door! 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »

That was sexy.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »

I was just happy to see Earth Defense Force 2025 on the official list.   icon_biggrin thumbsup  I followed the Amazon link and see that I preordered it on January 14, 2013.  Sheesh.

I'm also definitely interested in:
Watch Dogs
Infamous: Second Son
Titanfall
Broken Age (KS backer)
Carmageddon Reincarnation (KS backer)
The LEGO Movie Videogame...I'm a sucker for these

And these ones are a "Maybe" if they turn out good:
Dying Light
Thief
Wolfenstein
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (may just get the PS4 version and skip more PC disappointment)
South Park: Stick of Truth
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
Fable Anniversary
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:43:10 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »

Already will get from kickstarter:
Broken Age