http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 02:51:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morrowind GOTY for XBOX  (Read 1598 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2005, 01:51:58 PM »

I'm really in a state of mind that I want to RPG.

Some of the things I remember hearing about Morrowind that I didn't like was the skill system...the more you use a skill the better you are at it.

Does that mean in order to jump over a crack in the sidewalk I need to practice my jump skill for hours on end or is it a points based system (sans floating experience orbs) like Fable?

What's the good and bad about Morrowind on the console.

PS. Hetz need not apply slywink
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 04:41:40 PM »

I very much remember when playing Morrowind on XBox,  the times I was running from one town to another I'd be hitting the jump button a lot to try to increase that skill.  I can't recall if there was a way to increase that when levelling or via potions or whatnot.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 06:43:51 PM »

There are ways to 'cheat'  and drain your own abilities and then train for the skill for a couple gold but thats playing pretty cheap. No pun intended.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 10:32:23 PM »

PS. Hetz need not apply

Well, apparently I haven't made my feelings clear enough, re: Morrowind!

HERE:  OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'll skip the jpg's of fireworks, shooting stars, and quoting from Starshifter's Emergency! post (especially the singing and dancing). Let's just say that I played it over and over, with different characters,  guilds, and  quests, until I'd drained it dry - just  4 or 5 (maybe, 6) months of obsessive play... I played lots of 12 and 18 hour sessions, and a few 24 to 30 hour events (sleep? I spit on the need for sleep!)  :twisted: And several months ago, I played it again!

The "bad," first:  if you have an XBox with a Thompson drive, or one that has difficulty with "complex" games - then you're going to (eventually) have long saves, loads, and occasional freezes.  I loved the game so much that I played the first version of it, which was very, very buggy - on a Thompson drive - and was still totally addicted.

Another bad thing - the sword swinging is jerky looking, more like swatting and sticking, not very realistic, but the game was so awesome I didn't care at all.  The spell throwing is spectacular, IMO.

The "experience building" can be a pain in a few places, but it didn't bother me once I figured it out. For example, I jumped into a Fighter's Guild quest in which I had to kill the inevitable "rats in a storage room."  I went in there with a long knife and got my hat handed to me.  I did a little more stealing, sold a little more stuff, got a better weapon, and killed the rats.  I have lots of other tips that might be rated as mild spoilers, so I won't include them unless you ask.

It's the same with stealing anything with a person near it - then you have to build your stealth level before you can do it without getting caught.  Just about everything you do can be built up, but you choose what you need, and just use it.

The main complaint I've heard is  that the world is so large that there are places you have to do some tedious travel - although there are ways to quick travel with various guilds and travel "services" - plus using speed potions and magic - so I never had a big problem with it.

The great thing about the game is the absolute freedom to do whatever you want when you want.  It's not that you have no direction - you always know what you CAN do, for both the Main Quest, and for any side quests and guild requirements - it's just that you can do anything, anytime (that you are capable of at the time).  You can, eventually, build your own stronghold, use it as your base of operations - and even decorate it to your taste.  If you need a storage room before that, you can take an unoccupied house, plant torches, skulls, and swords around, and store things in the jars and crates.  

It also is beautiful - sometimes you just stand there and look at the sunsets, or the magic effects.  It's also as challenging as you want it to be - some of the quests you can just stumble on can be very tough - but you can save where you want, reload and go back when you're stronger, if necessary.  And some of the moments in the game are nothing short of epiphany quality - can't say more without spoiling it, but certain effects, achievements, etc., come with an incredible impact.

If you like open-ended, complicated, "action" rpg's - with choices of swords and armor, stealth, magic, etc. - then this will be your giant bucket of tea!  :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 01:21:12 AM »

Its easier to play on PC.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 01:56:58 PM »

Rage, what do you mean by easier?

I know very little about PC games - the last one I played to any extent was Myst I.  Do you mean that you can build your experience faster, or make your character stronger and faster through mods (lol, whatever those are)?  I'm wondering because that's one of the things I liked about M-wind... like a good book that's also long, I could just keep playing and playing it - and wanted to.  IF that's what you meant, then it seems it would have shortened the game - and the hours and hours of enjoyment I got out of it.

I don't happen to have a PC that will play anything other than IceWind Dale anyway  :roll:  so it's a moot point, I'm just curious!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 02:20:55 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
...and quoting from Starshifter's Emergency! post (especially the singing and dancing).

Uh.  I feel hurt.  :cry:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 02:34:25 PM »

Uh. I feel hurt.

No, Starshifter!  You shouldn't!  I didn't want to steal your best work, or make my too-long post any longer, lol... It was also a way to put a reference in that would help express my love of Morrowind - and that everyone was familiar with! And maybe there was a tiny, tiny bit of teasing, but just for fun...  :twisted:

You should know that I still revisit that post of yours, when I need a bright spot in my day - and a few guffaws...  :lol:  And, I'll bet I'm not the only one! :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 05:29:21 PM »

Uh. I feel hurt.

No, Starshifter!  You shouldn't!  I didn't want to steal your best work, or make my too-long post any longer, lol... It was also a way to put a reference in that would help express my love of Morrowind - and that everyone was familiar with! And maybe there was a tiny, tiny bit of teasing, but just for fun...  :twisted:

You should know that I still revisit that post of yours, when I need a bright spot in my day - and a few guffaws...  :lol:  And, I'll bet I'm not the only one! :wink:

You didn't like my rendition of Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline?  :lol:

I was just kidding.  I expect to see something along the same lines of my Emergency! excitement come the time of Oblivion's release! :wink:  You got me pumped for the game.  I'm already thinking about the character I'm going to create and when I slow down I'm expecting you to pump me up and keep me excited.  Uh, that didn't come out exactly right. :wink:   You know what I mean. biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 06:23:37 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
...and when I slow down I'm expecting you to pump me up and keep me excited.  Uh, that didn't come out exactly right. :wink:   You know what I mean. biggrin

I don't think we know what you mean.  Please, go ahead and explain it to us.

LD   :oops:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 07:08:43 PM »

I think the controls are easier, the graphics are much better provided you have the PC to run it, and the ability to use mods takes the game to an entirely new level.  I haven't played vanilla "Morrowind" for so long I don't even remember the last time.

glyc

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 10:59:51 PM »

I had so much fun just collecting mods for the game (a few gigs worth) that I didn't even bother loading the game.  I felt I got $20 of enjoyment on my Morrowind mod scavenger hunt!  Best thing: I was never let down by the game in the slightest. biggrin

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 02:10:03 AM »

Quote from: "Glycerine"

I think the controls are easier, the graphics are much better provided you have the PC to run it, and the ability to use mods takes the game to an entirely new level.  I haven't played vanilla "Morrowind" for so long I don't even remember the last time.

glyc

Easier to control, can modify it with tons of cool stuff, can tweak the graphics, etc. Probably no good for you if your comp isn't of reasonable power, but still go for it over the XBox version if you think your PC can handle it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »

Well this looks like a good enough thread to bring back from the dead

So last week i finished The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim,and so i re-downloaded all my DLC for Oblivion and the transfer license as i was to play this on my other gamertag,i put in about 10 hrs

However,i lost my Internet connection on Tuesday morning and would be out for 3 days,i wasn't too worried,i had Oblivion....consider me pissed right off when the DLC wouldn't show up for my other account(i thought the license transfer would of sorted that..offline or on)

So,i chose to start The Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind Game of the Year Edition on the Xbox,playing on the 360(which thankfully the Xbox 1 game patch is not saved to cache but acts as a proper save for the game you are playing,so i still had it on my HDD)

first off,the obvious stuff:
It looks quite terrible,its aged quite badly(and no,i can't get that PC mod obviously)
Loading is good sometimes,but pretty long other times
Map is atrocious..no really it's just awful
Journal is a waste of time,and you can't really keep tabs on your missions,so i have just been doing more or less one at a time

Morrowind is infamous for me,its a game i have never got into after trying to play it half a dozen times in the past(after buying the regular Morrowind for Xbox and then the GOTY version for xbox) and i have always wanted to get into it with being such a big fan of both Oblivion and Skyrim...so,you'll have to forgive me,but i have the game on easy,i would rather get this game played than abandon it yet again

Anyway,i have been playing quite a lot,and started to do the Mages Guild and have been quite enjoying it..whether that is down to the easy option i don't know

I will say the sense of direction in this game is pretty much lost,if i didn't have the guide i just would not be able to tell where to go(signs are useful but there are a lot of places i need to go that are not in the main towns),and as said the map really doesn't help much,i have it on world map most of the time just so i know i am at least facing the right direction on where i want to go

Myto sent me the GOTY guide a few years back,its funny because looking through it now i can see her notes on Solstheim which in Morrowind is the Bloodmoon expansion,and looking at her notes i can see that she has been to the places where i have just been in Solstheim in the Skyrim expansion Dragonborn...only of course close to 10 years later

I am aiming to get at least the main story,Mages,Thieves and Fighters guilds done,and i believe you can only join one house out of the three available so i will have to look into that and see which would be best to join

Oh,i definitely want to go to Solstheim again to see how much has changed over the years(10 years for the developers and 200 years ingame)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »

I don't think I could go back to Morrowind for the reasons you mentioned.  There were mods on the PC version that made the journal and map close to functional (by today's standards), but that doesn't help you on the Xbox.  I'd recommend sticking to the main story in MW if you just want to get the story.  Oh...and those Cliff Racers need to die. 
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 03:52:19 PM »

I loaded this back up not too long ago as well on the PC with the intention of actually getting through the main quest at least. A couple texture mods certainly help.

My uncle has the goty on Xbox(1) but not yet a 360. I can't begin to count the number of hours he has put into this, bad graphics and all.  icon_lol

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »

This really has started to be a real effort to play,as it needs to load every minute now and whoever designed the city of Vivec needs to be kicked in the balls!!

Been working on Fighters and Mages Guild quests,which can be quite annoying if your fighters guild dude is in Vivec,i am finding it easier to use the mage guilds for travel as they are usually situated quite near the Fighters Guilds

I found two bracelets,I don't know exactly what they do,but i think one sends you to the nearest fort or guard tower while the other one sends you to the nearest temple....which is handy if you are in one of the smaller villages and want to get to the nearest city quickly

I am still enjoying doing the actual quests,so i suppose i can see how this has gained so much love...just technically...eugh

still not started the main quest however..well apart from getting to Balmora and contacting The Blades guy

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »

I'm sure you already know this, but your biggest problem is that you're running it on Xbox. I've played the GOTY on both system and IMO it runs terribly on the Xbox. The PC version also has some terrific fan-made mods that significantly improve it like tweaking the UI, upping textures and providing widescreen support. It doesn't take a PC with many resource by today's standards to run it and the game relatively inexpensive on Steam - do you not have a PC that could run it? Heck, I think many laptops released in the last 5 years or so could run it nicely.

Morrowind is my favorite Elder Scrolls setting (not that I'm a huge fan of the series) and although the game had its problems, the story was good and well worth playing through at least once.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:06:33 PM by kronovan » Logged
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 03:50:17 AM »

Vivec is/was garbage. Hate that city. Always makes me dread getting to that point and having to navigate the dumb place.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 02:12:54 PM »

I just played through Morrowind recently on the PC. By the end I was an expert getting around Vivec using the canal boats. Still a major pain, though.

One of the fighter's guild quests (IIRC) gives you an amulet that lets you transport to any of the Imperial Cult temples which was very helpful. However, the amount of backtracking and crisscrossing was definitely my least favorite part of the game (next to cliff racers).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: