http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 08:50:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: more xbox live fall details....EDIT.NOW INCLUDES REAL LIST  (Read 6042 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2007, 06:05:04 PM »

these huge updates always fill me with dread after last Fall's RRoD'd my system.  Good thing I don't have any MP games that would require me to log on to XBL so I can wait a bit.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2007, 06:09:02 PM »

Very happy with the Xvid and Divx support.  I might be able to retire my XBMC.  Looking forward to playing with this feature. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2007, 06:09:25 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on November 30, 2007, 06:04:58 PM

Here's what many peeps will care about:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164648

Let's get the biggest news out of the way for the videophiles: Xbox 360 now supports MPEG-4, which means the box plays both DivX and XviD files without a hitch. 1UP tested almost every variation of the format possible, including high-definition content as high as 1080P. All the files ran flawlessly, though Microsoft told us there's no guarantee all formats will be compatible -- but we imagine most will.
Awesome... looks like I can kick TVersity to the curb
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »

It's not xvid/divx support.  It's mpeg-4. slywink
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2007, 06:11:02 PM »

i heard it plays some but not all DivX

EDIT:er,yeah what Brendan said

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2007, 06:15:21 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on November 30, 2007, 06:09:54 PM

Please explain the difference to me- I'm just going by what the 1Up article said.  I don't know that much about codecs except that 360 and PS3 can't play a lot of my video content. 
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2007, 06:26:02 PM »

Oh, I'm just mocking the company line on the feature.  Lots of things are encoded with mpeg4, but the most popular, uh, content on the internet is divx/xvid.

divx/xvid are all just mpeg4 encoded streams stored (typically) in an avi container.  divx has actually introduced their own container at this point, dmf, which should also work on the xbox, as it's just another extension to avi.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2007, 06:27:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 30, 2007, 06:15:21 PM

Quote from: Brendan on November 30, 2007, 06:09:54 PM

Please explain the difference to me- I'm just going by what the 1Up article said.  I don't know that much about codecs except that 360 and PS3 can't play a lot of my video content. 

here you go Kevin,check this page out..especially question 16

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx

none older than DivX5.0 work

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2007, 07:16:16 PM »

Thanks guys!  Is the update actually out now? 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2007, 07:17:28 PM »

Yeah when in the hell do we get this update?

EDIT: Dec 4th!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 07:19:30 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2007, 07:47:28 PM »

Improved enforcement of Windows Live ID and Gamertag Regions

does this mean all of our japanese and european "friends" will no longer be able to log in?  and if we have them, will they lay the smack down on us? 

that would really suck the life out of my addiction if they start banning anyone with a non-us region tag on their systems.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 21, 2007, 04:03:28 PM

I'm really surprised they would put in xvid support since thats by far the most common codec used for DL TV shows and movies.

Quote from: Mookee on November 23, 2007, 09:59:21 PM

Yeah, a big hell no on the xvid (god I wish though) and the iptv stuff.

I'm guessing Jumangi is surprised and Mookee is enjoying a tasty plate of crow while looking forward to DivX support on Dec4. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2007, 08:09:23 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 30, 2007, 07:47:28 PM

Improved enforcement of Windows Live ID and Gamertag Regions

does this mean all of our Japanese and European "friends" will no longer be able to log in?  and if we have them, will they lay the smack down on us? 

that would really suck the life out of my addiction if they start banning anyone with a non-US region tag on their systems.

That one made my sphincter twitch a bit too.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2007, 08:46:43 PM »

Added support to not write trial-version Arcade games to user's played games history (this is only for newly downloaded games after the Dec'07 update is released)

I can't believe it took two freaking years to get that done.  Of course I will still have about 70 Arcade trials listed on my games played list, but at least they won't go there in the future. 

Improve transition speed of blades

Improved enumeration speed of lists in games blade

Improved performance of Guide Transitions

Improved responsiveness of Dashboard overall

Improved Xbox guide performance ~2x

This sort of thing was badly needed.  After the last update or so, my dashboard response has been way too slow.  A small, dedicated interface like that should never have hesitations and pauses as far as I'm concerned. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2007, 09:00:24 PM »

I want an update that makes the guide move smoother while your playing a game similar to when you are playing a DVD. My friend always makes fun of it  icon_cry

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 30, 2007, 08:46:43 PM

Added support to not write trial-version Arcade games to user's played games history (this is only for newly downloaded games after the Dec'07 update is released)

I can't believe it took two freaking years to get that done.  Of course I will still have about 70 Arcade trials listed on my games played list, but at least they won't go there in the future. 

Improve transition speed of blades

Improved enumeration speed of lists in games blade

Improved performance of Guide Transitions

Improved responsiveness of Dashboard overall

Improved Xbox guide performance ~2x

This sort of thing was badly needed.  After the last update or so, my dashboard response has been way too slow.  A small, dedicated interface like that should never have hesitations and pauses as far as I'm concerned. 

to tell you the truth it has been a little slow for me ever since halo 3 came out and fooked xbox live up that day

here is a video 9 minutes long of the dahsboard features...pretty good vid,and looking at the dashboard now,where it has xbox inside where your messages used to be,and friends and messages are on the same line,and the game store where the xbox originals will be as well as arcade games....watch the vid to see what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKy9OrCtpyk

P.S...i just found out that Eval Knieval has just died....it is a sad day,i loved that guy

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2007, 11:37:32 PM »

Improved auto sign-in to Xbox LIVE with Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter

anyone else happy to see this fix?  i switched to the 360 wireless adapter a couple months ago and have been incredibly annoyed that i never sign in to Live automatically anymore...local profile signs in on its own, but i have to manually log in to Live every time i turn on my 360.  it's a little issue but one i'm really glad to see they've fixed icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »

I really like the idea of the Live Arcade "Hits" at reduced prices.  There have been several demos I've tried and wished the game were $5 instead of $10.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2007, 01:34:52 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 30, 2007, 11:37:32 PM

Improved auto sign-in to Xbox LIVE with Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter

anyone else happy to see this fix?  i switched to the 360 wireless adapter a couple months ago and have been incredibly annoyed that i never sign in to Live automatically anymore...local profile signs in on its own, but i have to manually log in to Live every time i turn on my 360.  it's a little issue but one i'm really glad to see they've fixed icon_cool

Yep, me too.  Although there was a brief period a few weeks ago when mine was auto logging in, but that has since stopped and I am back to manually logging in everytime.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2007, 03:54:30 PM »

Resync the Ring of Light pattern to the boot audio/animation

maybe they should make it so the RRoD actually looks like a smile, like the 360 is gloating at you?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2007, 05:10:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 01, 2007, 03:54:30 PM

Resync the Ring of Light pattern to the boot audio/animation

maybe they should make it so the RRoD actually looks like a smile, like the 360 is gloating at you?

or done it as a sad face,because it feels your pain

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2007, 05:37:27 PM »

Well, I skimmed it all but didnt see anything in there about how they are going to get my games available in an offline mode.  I still cannot play any of the live arcade games Ive bought unlesss im signed in to xbox live..Wouldnt be too much of a problem but my wife plays a lot and she cannot even access them at all any more on her account  since I got my new box in Sept.  Still waiting on Microsoft to resolve this for me.  frown
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2007, 10:40:50 PM »

Really seems like there should be a way for them to include an option to re-key titles you've bought to a new xbox.  I keep meaning to test if having the tag that downloaded the games logged into live will allow other tags on the console to access the full versions.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2007, 01:19:45 AM »

Quote from: soulbringer on December 01, 2007, 05:37:27 PM

Well, I skimmed it all but didnt see anything in there about how they are going to get my games available in an offline mode.  I still cannot play any of the live arcade games Ive bought unlesss im signed in to xbox live..Wouldnt be too much of a problem but my wife plays a lot and she cannot even access them at all any more on her account  since I got my new box in Sept.  Still waiting on Microsoft to resolve this for me.  frown

I've heard of people putting up enough of a fit to MS to finally get them to take off the games and recredit their account so that can purchase them again. Worth a shot if you're good at not taking a no for an answer.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2007, 02:48:13 AM »

Quote from: Mookee on November 23, 2007, 09:59:21 PM

Yeah, a big hell no on the xvid (god I wish though) and the iptv stuff.

Quote from: Purge on November 30, 2007, 08:08:10 PM

I'm guessing Jumangi is surprised and Mookee is enjoying a tasty plate of crow while looking forward to DivX support on Dec4. slywink

Hell yeah I am. That's awesome and I really didn't think it would happen. Hooray.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 02:49:55 AM by Mookee » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2007, 04:36:32 AM »

I want to be able to put a different wallpaper for each blade, is there a way to do that or just one pic for all blades?

Sean Lama
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2007, 06:42:17 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 02, 2007, 04:36:32 AM

I want to be able to put a different wallpaper for each blade, is there a way to do that or just one pic for all blades?

only one pic for all blades right now...maybe in the future...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »

Can you do custom wallpapers now?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »

Quote from: disarm on December 02, 2007, 06:42:17 AM

only one pic for all blades right now...maybe in the future...

you mean more than one theme for all the blades?..so it shows say,call of duty 4 theme on one blade and scarface on another?..because the themes have more than one picture(scarface theme is my favourite)

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2007, 03:23:09 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 02, 2007, 08:18:16 AM

Can you do custom wallpapers now?

You've always been able to set an image from a networked PC/usb drive/whatever as the background for the entire dashboard, but only downloaded themes can set different images on each blade.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2007, 01:39:49 AM »

they need to lower the price on those games if they want it to work.  $15 is too much when a million copies of crimson skies are out there for under $5 used, and you can sell that copy when you get done with it.  they also need to let you sell the downloads.  i would buy a lot more arcade games if i could recoup some $ when i've finished it.

let us do custome themes using any graphic from any theme we have and choose our own wallpapers per blade.  i would love to get a game theme per blade with a screenshot from some of my games as the bg. 

tuesday is going to suck for live access i think.  this sounds like a big'un and everyone will be grabbing it quickly

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2007, 04:50:19 AM »

Hell, I would be happy if they even had a decent way to preview the themes and gamerpics.  More than two years into it and they still haven't gotten that shit worked out. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2007, 02:45:39 PM »

Downloaded and installed the newest dashboard update -

I love how the blades now "pop" a lot quicker than they used to be.  Like, when hitting to download something, the blade will really pop out there quickly.  I really, really like this, because I hated the slowness of the blade before.

Friends of friends or whatever and MS tauting it as "social media" is retarded, so I won't get into that.

Friends list browsing is a little different because the person you're on pops a little due to their gamertag expanding a bit.  Kinda neat.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2007, 02:49:09 PM »

I'm going to set up a Silver Gaming Trend Official List or somesuch gold account tonight.

Anyone on the list here will get an invite. Perhaps this week I may even... *gasp* update the lists!!

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2007, 03:32:53 PM »

Tried out the divx/xvid video this morning and it worked perfectly even with my running gimped wireless (WDS). Watched the Doctor Who Children in Need special and it played flawlessly. +1000 cool points to my X-Box for a feature I never thought it would have.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2007, 05:02:01 PM »

Updated fine here. I'll have to get used to it, seems like stuff is buried a little deeper when you go to find it. The video feature deal is very cool.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2007, 05:02:56 PM »

Quote from: JCC on December 04, 2007, 03:32:53 PM

Watched the Doctor Who Children in Need special and it played flawlessly.

damn,i used to respect you icon_lol

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2007, 06:07:49 PM »

No trouble updating for me either, seems like the guide runs smoother too which is the main thing I cared for in this update  thumbsup

Sean Lama
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »

I downloaded the update early this morning and it applied without a hitch. This was my first Live update since I've gotten my X360, so I had a minuscule amount of fear that my system would restart with the RRoD's.  paranoid
However, I did notice that after the update there was a slight delay whenever I attempted to cursor down a dashboard page after I had just moved to it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2007, 07:53:21 PM »

i updated...everything was fine....except i still have that singing out problem

the signing out problem happens when i am on the dashboard not doing anything,and it signs me out,and i have to turn off the 360 and reset my modem...it only started doing it since the problems for COD4 got fixed....i know someone on xbox.com who had the same problem,and i use the same modem for my PS3 and thats fine(if i ever turn that on)...thankfully though it doesnt sign me out when i am actually playing games online or off(meaning single player off line..i will still be signed in while playing the single player)

anyway,i bit and i am currently downloading all 3.2 gig of Farenheit....FABLE will prolly be next,but the speed its downloading it will prolly have to wait until tomorrow night...i think Fable is 3.something gig as well....while HALO(which i wont be downloading)is 2.3 gig i think

i also updated my profile typed a bit of shit for people to read(no change there then icon_lol saywhat)

and it took me about 5 minutes to find out where my Demos now were...bastards

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: