http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:28:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Server shutdowns for EA  (Read 1525 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:01:12 PM »

Kotaku

August 11, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

* Army of Two for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
    * Army of Two Demo for Xbox 360
    * Battlefield 2142 Demo for PC
    * Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for Xbox 360
    * Battlefield 2: Modern Combat Demo for Xbox 360
    * Medal of Honor Airborne for PlayStation Portable
    * Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
    * NASCAR 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (North America)
    * NCAA Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
    * NCAA Football 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
    * Need for Speed Most Wanted for PC and Xbox 360
    * Need for Speed Undercover for PlayStation Portable
    * Skate for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
    * Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
    * Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

October 1, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

* Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
    * NHL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:07:30 PM »

Nothing that will affect me, so someone else can form the lynch mob. I'll be on the beach drinking mojitos.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:30:08 PM »

doesnt affect me either...

because things like this are why i stopped buying EA*!  (damn you bastards for nabbing bioware KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!! smile - though on the bright side forcing them to fart out games has taken their last few offerings down a few notches and im not as sad about missing them)

*did make an exception for original dragon age as it was picked up before being "ea-ificied"
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »

I look at it more as nature's way of letting these people know it is time to move on from these games.  This stuff usually doesn't affect a ton of people.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:17:09 PM »

I'll lose out on NHL 10.  Oh, wait, I never play online anyway.

Oh, by the way, Doopri, you'll love this:  EA just bought Popcap.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:02:17 PM »

I do think it's worrying that we're seeing some '11s in there, but none of this should affect me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 12, 2011, 11:02:17 PM

I do think it's worrying that we're seeing some '11s in there, but none of this should affect me.

You find it worrying that they are taking down the TW11 DEMO servers?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:24:50 PM »

I find the expectation that EA (or anyone) would keep these servers up into perpetuity to be sort of interesting.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:35:46 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 12, 2011, 11:24:50 PM

I find the expectation that EA (or anyone) would keep these servers up into perpetuity to be sort of interesting.

I think the problem stems from the fact that they even require their games to use their servers for matchmaking to begin with.  Non-EA games use Live's matchmaking and therefor do keep working for the lifetime of Live (or when they phase out 360 support).
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 12:27:46 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 12, 2011, 11:35:46 PM

I think the problem stems from the fact that they even require their games to use their servers for matchmaking to begin with.  Non-EA games use Live's matchmaking and therefor do keep working for the lifetime of Live (or when they phase out 360 support).

Really?  http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/05/chromehounds-servers-shut-down-jan-6/

Not sure if there are other examples - that was just the one I could think of off the top of my head.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 02:33:55 AM »

Yes, but at least Capcom provided more than just basic matchmaking.  Their server handled the tallying of combats for the overworld map.  EA's 'servers' only handle basic matchmaking as far as I know, on those games, something basic Xbox Live already does.  They're 'ending' support is simply a move to get people to purchase their more recent titles and has no added value.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 03:04:04 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on July 13, 2011, 02:33:55 AM

Yes, but at least Capcom provided more than just basic matchmaking.  Their server handled the tallying of combats for the overworld map.  EA's 'servers' only handle basic matchmaking as far as I know, on those games, something basic Xbox Live already does.  They're 'ending' support is simply a move to get people to purchase their more recent titles and has no added value.

What would EA's incentive to keep those servers online be?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 03:08:29 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 12, 2011, 11:05:24 PM

I admit to having scanned that.  '10 is still a little worrying, to be honest.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 05:05:07 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 13, 2011, 03:04:04 AM

Yes, but at least Capcom provided more than just basic matchmaking.  Their server handled the tallying of combats for the overworld map.  EA's 'servers' only handle basic matchmaking as far as I know, on those games, something basic Xbox Live already does.  They're 'ending' support is simply a move to get people to purchase their more recent titles and has no added value.

For me to actually continue buying their games.  If they're going to shut down the servers of their yearly sports franchises then that's one thing, fine I don't want to play NHL 05 anyways.  But games like Battlefield Bad Company 2?  Is 3 even out yet? That kind of stuff makes me thing 'fuck that shit'.

Edit: Oops made a mistake-it's not bad company 2 which is being shut down.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:06:51 AM by Canuck » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 05:28:13 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 13, 2011, 12:27:46 AM

Really?  http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/05/chromehounds-servers-shut-down-jan-6/

Not sure if there are other examples - that was just the one I could think of off the top of my head.

yes, really.  no need for snark.  Chromehounds had a persistant world requiring their own servers.  It wasn't just matchmaking which most of these are.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 05:29:53 AM »

what is EA's incentive to handle matchmaking theirselves instead of just using MS's?  (the answer is control of course, but the want the control, they should pay the price)

I find it frustrating that EA charges for online access for their games now, AND has shorter lifespan on game's online funcionality.  Compared to some other publishers you are definitely getting screwed.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 13, 2011, 12:27:46 AM

I think the problem stems from the fact that they even require their games to use their servers for matchmaking to begin with.  Non-EA games use Live's matchmaking and therefor do keep working for the lifetime of Live (or when they phase out 360 support).

Really?  http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/05/chromehounds-servers-shut-down-jan-6/

I think the disconnect is the assumption that other than EA, no other games have serverside components.

Chromehounds would be a Sega title where the battlegrounds were clearly server-side (given that they even track faction progress in dominating the galaxy). Sega tends to have online server components (look at the licensing for Phantasy Star Online), although not as prominent as EA. I know THQ's Homefront does - I got to see part of their farm, and it was a selling point for their online gameplay experience. If the game isn't garnering attention or traffic, it is costing money to keep the lights on in hopes that someone will come play in their sandbox- it is highly unlikely to justify the cost.

But back to Hark's point: even games that have peer-to-peer matchmaking services require EA authentication before you can engage in them - if those games can no longer work peer-to-peer because the authentication has been removed, that's a sad state given that the games themselves are likely not taking up enough cycles to warrant shutting them down. Consolidation? Yes.

Steam Powered games has maintained that if their service goes down permanently they will release a patch to unlock the games from the service. I think, given EA's size and impact, they should consider the same thing for their decommissioned games (esp. the ones that don't have sequels replacing them).

But, since revolving doors is how EA works, to expect more than what is being put on the table is a little silly. It would instead be nice to have a patch released that disables or puts out a warning about the services being shut down, and then when shut down, the options are disabled in-game with a clear statement as not to frustrate users.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:24:39 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 03:05:50 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 13, 2011, 03:08:29 AM

I admit to having scanned that.  '10 is still a little worrying, to be honest.

The Tiger Woods series is one year ahead. '10 is two years old now. '12 came out in March.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 03:21:17 PM »

That's just it, they're not keeping any servers online aside from their little 'Connect to EA' login.   They're disabling games that would continue to run just fine on XBL if their little login control wasn't there.  They are devaluing older titles, removing options for people to play the games down the road. It's simply a control thing in this situation.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 13, 2011, 05:29:53 AM

I find it frustrating that EA charges for online access for their games now

What do you mean by this... are you only talking about if someone buys used games?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 03:53:20 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on July 13, 2011, 03:05:50 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 13, 2011, 03:08:29 AM

I admit to having scanned that.  '10 is still a little worrying, to be honest.

The Tiger Woods series is one year ahead. '10 is two years old now. '12 came out in March.

I know that, but many people skip a generation (and may wait for the current one to drop in price). 

It seems to me that we'd been seeing annual games from four or five years ago, and suddenly we're seeing just two years ago.  How long before they decide if you're not on this year's model you're getting left behind.

I haven't paid fastidious attention, though, so it could be I just didn't notice this before.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on July 13, 2011, 03:21:17 PM

That's just it, they're not keeping any servers online aside from their little 'Connect to EA' login.   They're disabling games that would continue to run just fine on XBL if their little login control wasn't there.  They are devaluing older titles, removing options for people to play the games down the road. It's simply a control thing in this situation.

OK... couple of points here.

1)  Servers cost money, no matter how you slice it.  Rackspace, power, maintenance of those servers, datacenter footprint, etc... it's not free.
2)  EA has clearly done the cost/benefit.  The loss of goodwill (which let's face it, those people who wouldn't buy EA games because a 3 year old server was shut down are people who are looking for excuses to complain) is outweighed by the cost of running those servers.  And I'm sure your point has some validity too... EA wants you off the old stuff (that coincidentally isn't making them money any more) and on to their new stuff (which would shockingly bring them some money).

In an industry where damn near everyone is losing money, game companies have either gotta cut costs, raise prices, or just make less games.  Maybe all of the above.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 12, 2011, 10:17:09 PM

I'll lose out on NHL 10.  Oh, wait, I never play online anyway.

Oh, by the way, Doopri, you'll love this:  EA just bought Popcap.

This makes me sad.   icon_neutral

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 06:04:35 PM »

I look forward to Plants vs. Zombies '13, '14, '15, ...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 12:15:42 AM »

Cant play Army of Two co-op anymore frown

Gonna eat your face
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »

Quote from: Mikagami on July 14, 2011, 12:15:42 AM

Cant play Army of Two co-op anymore frown

Funny, I thought that was the entire point.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »

more server shut downs,some games with an online pass are affected

CVG

From April 13 the online components of Burnout Revenge, The Godfather II, FIFA 10, MMA, The Saboteur and Need for Speed ProStreet will no longer be accessible.

EA Sports Active, EA Create and recently released XBLA title Spare Parts will also lose online support.

The Online Pass for The Saboteur was that 'The Midnight Show' DLC wasn't it?,there wasn't any actual online play right?,so does that just mean you wont be able to download that anymore?...as i have been thinking of picking this up again,so better redownload it just incase

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »

I've actually been plowing through The Saboteur just recently.  Midnight Show is barely worth it, but I don't get why they need to shut down a server for that.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 03:00:36 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 19, 2012, 12:09:27 PM

more server shut downs,some games with an online pass are affected

CVG

From April 13 the online components of Burnout Revenge, The Godfather II, FIFA 10, MMA, The Saboteur and Need for Speed ProStreet will no longer be accessible.

EA Sports Active, EA Create and recently released XBLA title Spare Parts will also lose online support.

The Online Pass for The Saboteur was that 'The Midnight Show' DLC wasn't it?,there wasn't any actual online play right?,so does that just mean you wont be able to download that anymore?...as i have been thinking of picking this up again,so better redownload it just incase

The first batch of servers to go offline went down March 31, which were:

-BATTLEFIELD™ 3: Aftershock for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch

-Fantasi Safari for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch

-Ghost Harvest for iPhone

And the second, more hefty batch of servers went offline on April 13, which were:

-BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii

-Burnout™ Revenge for Xbox 360

-EA Create for PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360

-EA Sports Active 2.0 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360

-EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp for Wii

-FIFA 10 for PlayStation Portable and Wii

-The Godfather™ II for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

-MMA for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

-Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

-The Saboteur™ (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

-Spare Parts for PlayStation 3 Xbox 360

Why can't EA offer player-hosted servers for games they continue to pull the plug on? If a game like SOCOM on the original PSP can keep its Sony-hosted servers online 8 years later, surely EA can come up with something better than their 'online pass' and still screw over it's online players.

I bought Lord of the Rings Conquest not long after it came out - but about two weeks after EA pulled the plug on it. For a game that's multiplayer-focused they sure had no problem taking away the whole point of the game.

I can't wait until EA takes down Team Fortress 2 on consoles too.. it's about that time!

/end rant

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 03:10:33 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 19, 2012, 01:22:54 PM

I've actually been plowing through The Saboteur just recently.  Midnight Show is barely worth it, but I don't get why they need to shut down a server for that.

yeah, it was pretty dumb.  it was like they were saying 'OMG we're edgy because we show bewbs!'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 09:06:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2012, 03:10:33 AM

yeah, it was pretty dumb.  it was like they were saying 'OMG we're edgy because we show bewbs!'.

OH YEAH BEWBS!!...i forgot about them,downloading now!!  icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2012, 03:10:33 AM

I've actually been plowing through The Saboteur just recently.  Midnight Show is barely worth it, but I don't get why they need to shut down a server for that.

yeah, it was pretty dumb.  it was like they were saying 'OMG we're edgy because we show bewbs!'.

Which is just silly on account of bewbs being the antithesis of edgy. They're round and curvy with no naturally occurring sharp edges, no matter how much Madonna wanted us to believe it.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »

The only game I can see on those as being a concern to some is NFS Most Wanted. There really hasn't been a NFS game with that style and quality of gameplay since. I could see them shutting down the 360 server, as there wasn't many players on that even 2 years ago, but I'm betting the PC servers were still getting some love.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »

Well here we go again

January 19, 2013 -- Online Services Shutdown
Trenches II for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch

January 14, 2013 -- Online Services Shutdown
The Sims 2 for PC/MAC and TheSims2.com

January 11, 2013 -- Online Services Shutdown
FIFA Soccer 11 for PC, PS3, Wii & Xbox 360
FIFA Soccer 11 Ultimate Team for PS3 & Xbox 360
Madden NFL 11 for PS3, Wii & Xbox 360
Madden NFL 11 Ultimate Team for PS3 & Xbox 360
NBA JAM for PS3 & Xbox 360
NBA LIVE 10 for PS3 & Xbox 360
NCAA Football 11 for PS3 & Xbox 360
NHL 11 for PS3 & Xbox 360
NHL 11 Ultimate Team for PS3 & Xbox 360

January 3, 2013 -- Online Services Shutdown
FIFA Manager 11 for PC

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:05:21 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: