http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 07:35:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More PS3 Questions  (Read 927 times)
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:22:51 PM »

So I think I will be taking the plunge soon and getting a PS3.  Problem is I still have a few unanswered questions.

1. Will the PS3 do 1080i?  This is a big one for me.  My tv does 1080i and not 1080p, so I wanted to make sure I would still get a very high quality on my blueray movies as it's one of the main reasons I'm buying one.  if I knew movies would look just as good as say the Discovery HD channel, then that would wrap up most doubts on a purchase.

2. Does it play normal DVD's?  I have a huge dvd collection and I would be moving out my dvd player in my entertainment system to make room for the PS3 so it MUST play normal dvd's.

3. Do the new systems come with the rumbling controller.  This is not a big one, but I still do love the rumble effect in my 360 controller and it would be kinda weird not to have it on the PS3.

4.  Who has the best deal right now?  The only thing I see so far is the PS3 with the Spderman 3 blueray.  Is there anything else out there or will there be any other deals on the horizon? (Say in the next 3 weeks?)
WalkingFumble
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:35:19 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on February 16, 2008, 09:22:51 PM

So I think I will be taking the plunge soon and getting a PS3.  Problem is I still have a few unanswered questions.

1. Will the PS3 do 1080i?  This is a big one for me.  My tv does 1080i and not 1080p, so I wanted to make sure I would still get a very high quality on my blueray movies as it's one of the main reasons I'm buying one.  if I knew movies would look just as good as say the Discovery HD channel, then that would wrap up most doubts on a purchase.

yes.  ive hooked mine to 1080p and 1080i tvs through hdmi with no problems (for the purpose of watching blu-ray movies)

2. Does it play normal DVD's?  I have a huge dvd collection and I would be moving out my dvd player in my entertainment system to make room for the PS3 so it MUST play normal dvd's.

yep.  upscales through hdmi too.  and old ps2 games.

3. Do the new systems come with the rumbling controller.  This is not a big one, but I still do love the rumble effect in my 360 controller and it would be kinda weird not to have it on the PS3.

i would check the box to make sure it says the controller included has rumble

4.  Who has the best deal right now?  The only thing I see so far is the PS3 with the Spderman 3 blueray.  Is there anything else out there or will there be any other deals on the horizon? (Say in the next 3 weeks?)

the system by itself is 399.  there are probably bundles with motorstorm out there for $50 more or so.  it doesnt come with an hdmi cable, so your gonna want to snag one if your tv is capable.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:54:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure the PS3 does not yet come with the rumble controller.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »

Quote from: Laner on February 16, 2008, 09:54:34 PM

It definitely does not come with it in the US (as you can't even buy it separately yet), and I don't think it's available in Japan either.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 10:01:42 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 16, 2008, 09:56:24 PM

It definitely does not come with it in the US (as you can't even buy it separately yet), and I don't think it's available in Japan either.

It's been out in Japan since late last year.  In fact you can go to this thread and see if Canuck can still buy you one.  But otherwise you're out of luck in North America until Spring at the earliest.

16-bit and loving it!
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:08:39 PM »

Well I'm currently using my cable box for hdmi connection, so I will probably use component for the PS3.  Now, one more questions for you guys.

First PS3 game?  Rachet and Clank, Uncharted, Folklore?  I also never played Ninga gaiden on the original xbox, so i'll get that on the PS3 too at some point.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 10:12:37 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on February 16, 2008, 10:08:39 PM

Well I'm currently using my cable box for hdmi connection, so I will probably use component for the PS3.  Now, one more questions for you guys.

First PS3 game?  Rachet and Clank, Uncharted, Folklore?  I also never played Ninga gaiden on the original xbox, so i'll get that on the PS3 too at some point.

you cant upscale dvd movies through component.  it has to be hdmi.  is it a pain to switch them out when you want to use the ps3?

monoprice!

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on February 16, 2008, 10:01:42 PM

Quote from: Destructor on February 16, 2008, 09:56:24 PM

It's been out in Japan since late last year.  In fact you can go to this thread and see if Canuck can still buy you one.  But otherwise you're out of luck in North America until Spring at the earliest.

Well, I meant a console with the DS3, not buying the PS3 and then the DS3 separately. I know the DS3 is available, as I have one thanks to Canuck. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 07:21:49 AM »

Also, just so you know, you need to get an 80 GB PS3 to get any kind of PS2 backwards compatibility, and those are becoming scarce.  The 40 GB version doesn't have any kind of PS2 backwards compatibility at all.

Also, if you intend on using the PS3 as your DVD player, do yourself a favor and get the remote control for it.  It is well worth the money if you plan on playing moves on it.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 08:18:46 AM »

Quote from: Graham on February 17, 2008, 07:21:49 AM

Also, if you intend on using the PS3 as your DVD player, do yourself a favor and get the remote control for it.  It is well worth the money if you plan on playing moves on it.

+ a million.  Plus you don't have to worry about charging your controller so often if all you end up doing is watching movies on it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 09:23:47 PM »

Well  got my PS3 this morning.   haven't purchased any games yet, but I am currently downloading the MLB08 demo along with Uncharted, Rachet and Clank, resistance and and a few others.

Things I have noticed so far:
1. The Controller is VERY light, probably because of no rumble capability.
2.  The system is VERY quiet, especially in comparison to the 360.
3.  The interface is functional, but not as good as the 360 and xbox live.
4. Setup is a breeze and having my account attached to the PSN Network for any purchases is a LOT easier then going out and buying MS points and trying to determinehow much something is costing me.

That's it for now.  i haven't watched the movie that came with it yet. (Spiderman3) but I am anxious to do so and see how much better it looks than a normal dvd.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 09:29:51 PM »

Also remember that you don't have to put money in your psn wallet in those $5 increments, just go into your account settings and turn on something like, "automatically add funds to wallet when needed" or some similar option if it isn't on already.

What this'll do is upon checkout, it'll add just the amount you need.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on February 17, 2008, 09:23:47 PM

i haven't watched the movie that came with it yet. (Spiderman3) but I am anxious to do so and see how much better it looks than a normal dvd.

It's Spiderman 3, so don't get too excited  icon_wink

Because I can,
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 10:25:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 17, 2008, 10:01:10 PM

i haven't watched the movie that came with it yet. (Spiderman3) but I am anxious to do so and see how much better it looks than a normal dvd.

Very true.  I have now become a blueray bargain hunter.  Anyone know any good sites for finding deals on blueray movies?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 10:39:41 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on February 17, 2008, 10:25:38 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 17, 2008, 10:01:10 PM

Very true.  I have now become a blueray bargain hunter.  Anyone know any good sites for finding deals on blueray movies?

Keep an eye on the Steals and Deals forums for Buy one get one free deals (or occasionally Buy 2 get One free).  Of course, all of the ones I've bought so far have been used from a local store for 15 bucks or less.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: