http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:18:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More 360's at Best Buy this week!  (Read 2922 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2005, 02:09:38 PM »

Good luck everyone! Today could be the day that more show up!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 03:30:13 PM »

And EBGames/Gamestop still haven't gotten a single (or at best, just one for like 10 units or so) restock of their consoles for all of those still on their waiting lists.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 03:57:13 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
And EBGames/Gamestop still haven't gotten a single (or at best, just one for like 10 units or so) restock of their consoles for all of those still on their waiting lists.

Yeah... I'm still spitting mad at Ebgames for this.   They oversold for MONTHS and would take anyone's money that came up there and even told them they'd cover it on Launch Day -- and here it is Christmas and they've never seen another system and won't until January (my local one tells me late january).
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 04:51:03 PM »

Sure they have.  They're just selling them online (w/ PHAT BUNDLEZ) instead of shipping them to stores.

gellar
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 04:58:02 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"

Sure they have.  They're just selling them online (w/ PHAT BUNDLEZ) instead of shipping them to stores.

gellar

ebgames says "may not ship until march 2006", gamestop says "may not ship until january 31, 2006". I don't know that they are getting any more stock online than at stores.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 05:03:40 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Good luck everyone! Today could be the day that more show up!

Awesome!  I'm going to try to get one so I can sell it on eBay for some quick Christmas cash.

:twisted:
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 05:04:37 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Quote from: "gellar"

gellar

ebgames says "may not ship until march 2006", gamestop says "may not ship until january 31, 2006". I don't know that they are getting any more stock online than at stores.

Well I meant previously this month.  They go on sale at there just as regularly as they have at the major retailers sites, from what I've seen.

gellar
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 05:11:55 PM »

the gamestop I frequent got a big second shipment last week... 2 units! At least they were both premiums Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 07:44:44 PM »

There's a possibility that GameStop's will get a large shipment late this week.  It won't be anywhere near enough to cover all remaining pre-orders, but it will be a step in the right direction.  If it doesn't make it by Christmas, it will be right after.

Here's hoping.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 12:52:25 AM »

the gamestop I frequent got a big second shipment last week... 2 units! At least they were both premiums Tongue

Yeah, that's the second shipment I know of too.

So...why again has BB gotten so many more 360 consoles than the only chains to take presales? And don't spout the 'EB preordered too many units' bulllarky, as my Gamestop's initial 16 units were sold out back in May.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 01:26:52 AM »

Yeah, that's the second shipment I know of too.

So...why again has BB gotten so many more 360 consoles than the only chains to take presales? And don't spout the 'EB preordered too many units' bulllarky, as my Gamestop's initial 16 units were sold out back in May.

Is it possible that CC and BB negotiated contracts or agreements with MS increasing and prioritizing their 360 allotments?  Maybe EB/Gamestop weren't able to negotiate a similar agreement with MS.  Pure speculation, but it's the only thing I could think of that makes sense.  Plus, I'm guessing that CC and BB push more MS products and PCs with MS OEM than EB/Gamestop could ever dream of in a given year.  The steady shipment of 360s to BB and CC may be sort of a "we know who's making us $" thing.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 02:49:53 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
There's a possibility that GameStop's will get a large shipment late this week.  It won't be anywhere near enough to cover all remaining pre-orders, but it will be a step in the right direction.  If it doesn't make it by Christmas, it will be right after.

Here's hoping.

I called my Gamestop tonight - granted, it's only one of the largest gamestops in the 6th largest city in the US, but they've still only received their initial shipment of 6 units.  The manager mentioned they are hoping to receive a second shipment of ~10 units, but it wouldn't be until next week at the earliest.

You would think with the EB/Gamestop merger that they would have a little more sway with MS, but I'm starting to buy into your OEM PC theory smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 03:03:16 AM »

Maybe MS just really hates stores that sell used games?

Or they are going for the casual market?

Or they signed a big deal with Best Buy?

I have no idea.  I do find it odd that the big video game chain is all but shutout.  They could always retaliate by giving the 360 the same love the now show PC games.

Not 360 related, but I am tired of going into EB and not getting a new game because I didn't pre-order it.  Sure I could have pre-ordered, but I'm sick of hearing the pitch and then overhearing the manager scold an employee for not reaching their daily quota...  It's about convenience, which is why I went to a specialty store to begin with.  Just venting...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 03:15:34 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Maybe MS just really hates stores that sell used games?

Or they are going for the casual market?

Or they signed a big deal with Best Buy?

I have no idea.  I do find it odd that the big video game chain is all but shutout.  They could always retaliate by giving the 360 the same love the now show PC games.

Not 360 related, but I am tired of going into EB and not getting a new game because I didn't pre-order it.  Sure I could have pre-ordered, but I'm sick of hearing the pitch and then overhearing the manager scold an employee for not reaching their daily quota...  It's about convenience, which is why I went to a specialty store to begin with.  Just venting...

/signed

Gone are the days when I could walk into a game store and find freakin games on the shelf that I didn't preorder or that don't happen to be top 10.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 04:56:49 AM »

San Jose Mercury News journalist Dean Takahashi recently took a visit to Microsoft. After speaking to various Xbox-related employees such as designer Greg Gibson, Rare studio manager Ken Lobb, marketer David Reid, and spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell, Takahashi learned that the company is "disappointed that it can't get more units of the Xbox 360 into the market." This month, additional units have reached stores, but they have sold briskly and demand remains far from satisfied. Takahashi reports that the supply problem is less a matter of chip yields and more to do with actual systems problems. This is consistent with certain information I have received indicating that Microsoft had been working on eliminating software issues right up until launch.

That said, Gibson claims that Microsoft is happy to have beaten Sony to market in three major territories, and predicts that in the long term these supply problems won't matter. Takahashi expects supply to start meeting demand some time in January.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 07:59:20 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

Here's hoping.

Scratch that hope.  It turns out to be a much smaller shipment then suggested last week.

As for why EB/GS are not getting systems, I don't know the full answer but from talking to a MS employee who regularly visits my store I've gathered the following:  MS needs to achieve mass market success this time and they don't think GS/EB are stores that attract mass market consumers despite representing 25% of the market.  By favoring the mass market retailers like Best Buy (who they signed a special relationship with) they are getting 360's in front of the more casual market.  MS's theory is that while hardcore gamers who reserved at EB/GS may be pissed in the short term, they will still buy the 360 either way.

I suspect the used game angle isn't helping EB/GS and would not be surprised at all if Best Buy drops that experiment as a favor to MS.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 08:22:34 AM »

That San Jose Mercury News article shows exactly what is lacking in games journalism.  How is it that every time Gamespot, 1Up, or their ilk interview MS reps they can never get confirmation of manufacturing issues, etc but only regurgitate marketing spin? Yet a real news organization interviews MS and gets the first confirmation I've seen that there are actual difficulties in the manufacturing end and the extreme shortages aren't all part of some master plan.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 02:32:37 PM »

the Insider flyer is completely true.  i walked into BB today (on alpine ave in grand rapids, MI) and found exactly the situation that's described.  they had no advertising that they have the units in stock and nothing new on the shelves...just a guy roaming the gaming section with a handful of 360 vouchers.  i got there right at 8am and asked for a premium unit, was handed a voucher (#4 for the morning), got the replacement plan pitch, picked out the rest of my stuff, and headed for the checkout.  they had all the 360s locked in a room right by the front entrance and it was handed to you as you walked out the door.  they were obviously trying to be very discreet in the way they handled sales today, but they seemed to have plenty of units available...the guy had at least 20 more vouchers in his hand for the day Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 03:59:45 PM »

After reading disarm's post, I hopped in the car to check out my local Best Buy.  They had three X-Box 360 units for sale this morning and sold out all of them in the first few minutes of business.

-Autistic Angel
philosophist_
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 04:16:06 PM »

Dad gum it. Unfortunately, I went to target again at opening (3rd time this week). And yet again, they had no Xbox 360s.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 05:02:14 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
You would think with the EB/Gamestop merger that they would have a little more sway with MS, but I'm starting to buy into your OEM PC theory smile

I don't know, but it sure feels like somebody dropped a ball somewhere in all this.

At any rate, from my experience, there are a substantial number of customers on our reserve list that are kids (or parents thereof) and this was supposed to be their big Christmas present. Disappointing people at the holidays is not fun.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 07:02:09 PM »

I drove out to a more rural BB this morning at 7:45.  There were a few people waiting in their cars.  At 7:58 I walked to the door and got into a small line with 4 people.  At 8am they asked us to file into the store, and from that point it was exactly as the flyer described.  I was #6 to get a premium unit ticket.  I think they had about 15-20 units.  I picked up a few games, the wireless adapter, another controller, and grabbed my 360 from the manager.  

Thank you for the inside tip!  Most of the folks waiting in line with me had struck out earlier this month at other "360 events", so I think we were all kind of in shock standing in the store with our tickets in hand.

I felt a bit like Capt Ahab after everything was said and done.  I even burst into my bedroom at 9am, proudly showing my wife my trophy kill, like any successful (or lucky in my case) hunter does after spending a month stalking an elusive prey.  She just squinted at the box with one eye open, said something to the effect of "I knew that's where you must've gone this morning...you're crazy", and went back to sleep.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 07:05:37 PM »

Congrats Roguetad.  Unfortunately I read about this at 8:30 this morning as I sat down at work.  My time will come! smile
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 09:17:11 PM »

A couple of Circuit Cities in town supposedly got a bunch in as well.  Good luck to those still searching!

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 09:57:43 PM »

Just got all my stuff in except for the dang games and extra controller.

Great news is that the surround sound system arrived separately with a separate invoice so I'm going to return that tonight.
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 11:00:33 PM »

Got my stuff as well today from CC.com.  If Anyone wants to hook up with something my tag is Soulbringer360
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 02:36:09 AM »

Operation Return The Crappy Surround Sound System Bundle Portion To Walmart has been a complete success.    My credit card has been credited.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 02:40:45 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
Operation Return The Crappy Surround Sound System Bundle Portion To Walmart has been a complete success.    My credit card has been credited.

Awesome! Glad to hear everything is working out for you buddy. smile

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 02:44:59 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"

Awesome! Glad to hear everything is working out for you buddy. smile

Thanks!

Oh, and Hetz --   Kobra needs a ban.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 03:00:07 AM »

Yeah, he should have been banned long ago. I don't know why the admins there let him get away with all the crap that he gets away with.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2005, 12:39:31 PM »

But, But, But..... Kobra made a public apology for being an ass and is now a NEW and BETTER, NICER version of Kobra.

biggrin
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2005, 12:45:50 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
But, But, But..... Kobra made a public apology for being an ass and is now a NEW and BETTER, NICER version of Kobra.

biggrin

:lol:

Yeah, but you see the "new and improved" version of Kobra now puts a  :wink: at the end of all his insulting posts....somehow making it all ok in his and the admins mind.

Unfortunatily, he leaves the  :wink: out of the constant insulting and harrassing PM's that he sends me and others. It seems though that the admins there still refuse to do anything about this obvious troll. I don't know why the hell they coddle certain troublemakers overthere. It's getting really annoying.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2005, 02:21:24 PM »

Well, all I can say is it is getting easier and easier for me to make GT my one and only stop when it comes to forums.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2005, 02:24:04 PM »

Well, all I can say is it is getting easier and easier for me to make GT my one and only stop when it comes to forums.

Same here. I have come to really not like OO much anymore because of Kobra and a couple other people over there that they, as usual, do nothing about.

Hey here is a more on-topic question....if I change my gamertag from Hetz OO to lets say Hetz GT, would that completely screwup my friends list? Anyone know?

philosophist_
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2005, 02:30:41 PM »

Managed to get a core plus hard drive and HD cable (I know; $50 more than premium) this morning at best buy. What's surprising is that there's been a line everyday this week, but not today. When I arrived at 7:30, there was only 1 person in line! Good thing, too, since they only received 4 cores in today's shipment.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2005, 02:38:55 PM »

I believe it will mess up your friends list Hetz.  Didn't KD have his changed?  Maybe he can answer.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2005, 02:46:21 PM »

Same here. I have come to really not like OO much anymore because of Kobra and a couple other people over there that they, as usual, do nothing about.

Hey here is a more on-topic question....if I change my gamertag from Hetz OO to lets say Hetz GT, would that completely screwup my friends list? Anyone know?

I don't think it will mness up your friends list, but contact Live support just to confirm

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2005, 04:00:40 PM »

Not to talk other forum stuff, but I feel the same about OO and a certain user over there...

Thought about posting a pre-apology and then going on a rampage acting like a dick there.  I mean if I apologized, it's okay right?  Just not in my character.

Glad to see that we'll be seeing more and more folks on the 360 online!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: