http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 09:13:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MOO v. MOO2 - Fight!  (Read 1915 times)
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2005, 11:18:41 PM »

Which is the better game, Master of Orion or Master of Orion II? Why?

When MOO2 first came out, it seemed to me like it was a vastly superior game - it had a better presentation, custom races, multiple planets per system, much more detailed ship and colony construction, more detailed combat, it removed the limit on the number of ship designs, and multiplayer (which never seemed to work for me though).

However, going back to MOO, I have changed my mind somewhat. The ship design limit forces you to make hard choices. The "simple" colony construction removes a lot of seemingly pointless micro-management. It isn't possible to construct a "super" race like it is in MOO2 (and there is no "creative" trait). It seems like a much more elegant design for a strategy game - it doesn't dazzle the player with a lot of what are ultimately meaningless options (e.g. many of the ship-building options, multiple colonies per system, heroes etc).

I'm sure some here will disagree, and I am not saying I dislike MOO2. I just feel that MOO had a unique and elegant design that was somehow lost in MOO2. MOO2 feels more like "Master of Magic in space" than a real sequal to MOO.

Discuss. smile

See my list of games I have and want.
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 12:40:35 AM »

MoO gets my vote here.

And, ah, MoM. How I remember playing that game to death a long, long time ago. Why oh WHY hasn't anybody made a sequel to that game?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 01:03:55 AM »

I bought MOO but could never get it to work as I couldn't figure out how to free up enough memory to get it to work.
MOO 2 was great tho and I played it almost constantly until like last year.
I downloaded MOO from a well know site here awhile back and got it to work but the graphics were so primative I couldn't really get into it.

Ye Olde Farte
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 01:29:48 AM »

MOO 1 ya tools  Tongue

Easy reason..it was simple. MOO1 had a few sliders to adjust for production or missile bases or research and bonus. It was laid out in a logical manner and ship building was deep enough to let you really customize your little ships. Games could last a few hours to weeks. It was just pretty much perfect.

The starting with MOO2 the series seemed to start moving into a confusing micromanagment hell that others thought we wanted and continued with into a mess of MOO3. MOO2 was fun but just not quite what MOO1 was. It was no longer just simple. Colonies really brought down the fun factor in it after you had a few. Combat took FOREVER later in the game if you did'nt use the autoresolve..without the graphics being shown.

I still fire up MOO1 these days and enjoy it almost as much as I did that first day i played it in 94. I also try to get in some SE2 sometimes too  :wink:

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 02:33:39 AM »

MoO 3 FTW!!!!

/me ducks and hides.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 02:46:54 AM »

I really liked MOO, but didn't like MOO2 at all.  There's something to be said for a simple, streamlined designed, and MOO is a great example of this.  I found MOO2 bloated, with a bunch of stuff thrown in just because the designers could; not because it was a good idea.  Admittedly, I didn't play it for very long, but I just kept running into things I didn't like and it just seemed like everything they added made the game worse.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 04:43:10 AM »

I never played MOO1, but I absolutely loved MOO2, so it gets my vote.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 08:07:51 AM »

MOO and MOO2 are really, really different games.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 08:32:58 AM »

MOO is an example of a game that only needs an audio/visual makeover every few generations and absolutely nothing else.

If someone made a WinXP native version of MOO that was EXACTLY the same except for the upgraded looks and sound, I'd buy it.

MOO2 was the wrong direction, a makeover that included gameplay.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 05:01:45 PM »

I preferred MOO2.  I liked the extra stuff they put in the game, I liked the evil menacing aliens that would periodicaly show up to destroy one of my colonies.  I liked the battles better.  I liked being able to design my own race.

I just liked all the extra stuff.  I like extra stuff in my space conquest games.  

MOO1 was a fine game for its time, but once I got MOO2, I never ever even wanted to go back.

MOO3 on the other hand...  Let's just pretend it never happened.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 03:29:05 PM »

MOO for me. Not even close. MOO solidly makes it into my top of classics short list (w/ the sainted Xcom, both Fallouts, Planescape, Icewind Dale, both Max Paynes, etc etc); MOO2 on the other hand,  while a good, solid game does not (for the principal reason already given - the beginning of the micromanagement feature creep culminating in the MOO3 trainwreck).

What set MOO apart was exactly the elegance - you felt like you _were_ a true all powerful galactic dictator, holding sway over  billions of lives & whole star systems and _not_ a management accountant fiddling w/ the plumbing as it were. Issue your "sweeping orders" (set the sliders) & then move on to the other big decisions. No other galaxy/empire game has come close to that certain feeling for me.

As already menoned, a WinXP era graphics shell version of the original MOO would have me in line cash-in-hand day of release; I expect to see that about the same time as I see the X-com version of same update. Grumble.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 07:46:25 PM »

I dont know... but considering I love moo2...  because even though they have levels of difficulty... Giving yourself a race that isnt as powerful adds another degree of difficulty.

Being able to customise your ships is huge.

I Dunno, I'd have to expect to fire up MOO for like 3 years before it would even comepare to moo2

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 11:19:55 PM »

I loved both, but I found in MOO all you really had to do was crank out thousands of cheap fighter craft, and zerg anyone into oblivion.  It was great seeing another race with 40 spacecraft attack you, while you had 5000 fighter craft in response.  No chance in hell.

Both were really good games.  Prefer MoM over either, but that's because I'm a fantasy-phile.
solarisgax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 12:02:54 AM »

I liked both.

I played MoO a lot the first year of grad school - some guy installed it on a lab computer.

I bought MoO2 when it came out.  I played it a lot more than MoO (simply because it is available to me whenever).

To me MoO2 captured the feeling of MoO but offered a little more.  I never really criticized MoO2 because games were just a distraction.

MoO3, on the other hand, was just crap.  I was glad that GC came out to wash off the terrible aftertaste of MoO3.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 03:28:26 AM »

For my fellow MOO lovers dont miss this when it comes out soon......

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/sots.shtml

By the Homeworld guys.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 09:09:56 AM »

I don't understand all the hate for MOO3. I got 2 copies of it, one is still sealed and the other had been regularly played. Don't really have my own PC now (working on getting a new one) so I haven't been able to play many pc games at all recently.

First impressions of MOO3 weren't very good, but once you get into it for a couple of hours and start messing around with the diplomacy system, trading, starting alliances, etc. wow, what an incredible game!

From the first master of orion, to the second, and even the third, I've enjoyed them all immensly.
It's hard to pick out a winner as I like them all equally.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 08:19:47 PM »

There is no MOO 3.  There was MoO, then the sequel, MoO 2.  We're still hoping someone will eventually create MoO 3.  Anyone who says different is dead to me.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 03:24:31 AM »

he's dead to me anyways, everyone is dead to me, esp when it comes to MOO(2)

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 04:49:17 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
MoO 3 FTW!!!!

/me ducks and hides.

:shock: Whoa!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 06:56:31 AM »

Moo2 for me. BTW, what would you all consider the most MOO(2) like game out today? I dont consider GalCiv moo like because of the combat-but is anything else reall comparable thats been released in the last few years.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2005, 02:21:43 PM »

Just another older game..Space Empires 4 Gold.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: