http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:48:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster Madness demo on Live  (Read 1315 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2007, 03:37:54 AM »

So I see a demo for Monster Madnesswas put up on Live this last week.  Has anybody given it a try?  My Gold subscription ran out and it won't be available for us of the unwashed masses until Thursday this week.

For the uninformed, Monster Madness is a top-down shooter for up to 4 players (16 online) with a bunch of weapons and some vehicles and such.  It uses the Unreal engine for nifty this and that. 

When I first read about this game, I thought it would have been an excellent showcase title for what Live Arcade could (and should) be, but I guess they are going the retail route.  And sadly full-price, at that.  I'd like to see an old-school style game like this succeed, but I don't think it can really find an audience at $60. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:54:22 AM »

Up to just a couple weeks ago, I actually did think this was a Live Arcade title.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:05:46 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 16, 2007, 03:54:22 AM

Up to just a couple weeks ago, I actually did think this was a Live Arcade title.

It isn't?  icon_eek

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 04:30:10 AM »

Um, you know not all 360 games released at the $60 price point right?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 04:33:48 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 16, 2007, 04:30:10 AM

Um, you know not all 360 games released at the $60 price point right?

Well if you check EB's site or IGN or whatever they all report a price of $59.99 for the 360/PS3 versions and $49.99 for the PC.  It could be that they are wrong, but considering the game is supposed to ship next month I think chances are that they might be right. 

So back to the topic at hand: did anybody try out the demo, and is it any fun?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 05:45:24 AM »

I tried it last week.  It was fun, but not amazingly so.  Honestly, it was hard to tell what was going on or what I was supposed to be doing, apart from hitting zombies. 

I really wanted to try multiplayer, 'cause I have a feeling it'll be more enjoyable that way (not sure what the co-op options are in the game), but there was never anyone online.  Ever.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 01:04:40 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 16, 2007, 05:45:24 AM

I tried it last week.  It was fun, but not amazingly so.  Honestly, it was hard to tell what was going on or what I was supposed to be doing, apart from hitting zombies. 

That was my feeling as well.  It might be a fun diversion for $10 or $15, but certainly isn't worth $60.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 01:12:37 PM »

I really wanted to try multiplayer, 'cause I have a feeling it'll be more enjoyable that way (not sure what the co-op options are in the game), but there was never anyone online.  Ever.

It looks like it might be fun co-op, much like assault heroes.  The real problems I had were the controls. Either I was just not 'getting' them, or what, but I had to spam buttons to pick things up, and after reloading a weapon I couldn't just keep holding down the trigger...I had to release and let go.  It sure looks nifty, though some of the setup in the multiplayer match looks too awkward.  I didn't like the jumping or climbing in the gym level.  Though it was kinda cool to shoot up the Brady Bunch house. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:54:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 16, 2007, 01:04:40 PM

That was my feeling as well.  It might be a fun diversion for $10 or $15, but certainly isn't worth $60.

Ditto. While I don't agree with the increasing amount of mediocre feedback for the demo, I can't see paying $60 for it at this time. Maybe the game will change enough between now and release to make a diff but it seems to be too close to the release date for that.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 03:00:36 PM »

I'll probably grab the demo, but with the $60 price point and me not being impressed with what I've seen so far I'll probably be passing on this one, even with the co-op.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 04:26:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 16, 2007, 03:00:36 PM

I'll probably grab the demo, but with the $60 price point and me not being impressed with what I've seen so far I'll probably be passing on this one, even with the co-op.

But your avatar is all about the co-op. How can you pass on the co-op?!

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 04:37:27 PM »

I thought the demo was a clunky mess.  I didnt enjoy it at all.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »

yeah i played the demo,i wasnt that impressed,it was okay...i liked the shrek the third demo better,LOL...but as said,it looks as though co-op would be good fun,but its not for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 16, 2007, 03:00:36 PM

Ceekay you gotta get rid that avatar it creeps me out everytime I see it. ninja

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 09:12:31 PM »

One of the developers, Scry, posts over at QT3 and has said that the demo is a much earlier build.  So, unfortunately and fortunately, this demo doesn't appear to be a good representation of the final game.  Really silly that a demo in bad shape would be released, but there is hope for the final release:

Quote from: Scry
Party system as in 4-player offline coop? If so, yes. If you mean "party system" as in the Halo-esque game lobby for multiplayer, no. That's in the final game. Unfortunately (and to my dismay) they only included the very first level of the game in the demo, which is just a small house (Zack's House) being invaded by zombies. It's fun, but you don't get the full enjoyment out of the 4 player gaming in such a small play area. Also, I don't remember if we included difficulty levels in the demo, but if we did, just try and beat Zack's House on Madness. Just try it. Mwahaha. Also, the controls should be very reminiscent of Smash TV, in case you're wondering.

As far as online multiplayer goes, you get one Arena and one Battlefield map, and they're both pretty good. Arena games are restricted to 4 player versus deathmatch with a fixed overhead camera, and it essentially controls like single-player. Battlefield, however, is a completely different story. It plays a lot like an FPS. Large maps, vehicles, crazy powerups, the ability to transform into superpowered monsters (we have 6 different transformations in the final, but the demo only has the Werewolf). I personally prefer Battlefield, I dunno why. I guess it's because I'm "too close" to the Arena mode and have played nearly 500 hours of it while developing its gameplay. Battlefield was more of a group effort and it rocks when you get a bunch of people in at once.

I would like to mention, however, that things have changed drastically since the demo was made -- for the better, of course. While many review sites didn't enjoy the demo (primarily for lack of a good SP demonstration map) they're really digging the final. We have some ingame cutscenes that are absolutely brilliant, and some of them will make you laugh your ass off. We got a new writer a few months ago that I swear must have come right off of Robot Chicken. He's really funny.

Yeah, rotation speed has increased when turning. The demo uses an older camera-relative turning system, but that system has been rewritten from scratch. It's now much more accurate and responsive. Melee weapons are just a tiny part of the game, really, and you'll use them most in only the first two or three levels. After that you can use your monster tokens to buy and upgrade weapons (there's like 30 weapons and they all have 3 upgrade levels) at Larry's shop. The profile system is pretty complex -- It's the crazy ranged weapons that are the most fun. My favorite is the level 2 and 3 Tazers, because when it hits an enemy the electricity will jump from that enemy to any other nearby enemies, creating a kickass chain effect. The level 3 Tazer is actually just two level 2 Tazers dual-wielded, and can lightning-chain up to twice as many enemies.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 09:25:03 PM »

My main concern with the game is the CONSTANT stream of baddies coming at you. It's like it never stops and with the poor control system it made things worse when trying to keep track and kill all those enemies.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on April 17, 2007, 09:12:31 PM

One of the developers, Scry, posts over at QT3 and has said that the demo is a much earlier build.  So, unfortunately and fortunately, this demo doesn't appear to be a good representation of the final game.  Really silly that a demo in bad shape would be released, but there is hope for the final release:

Party system as in 4-player offline coop? If so, yes. If you mean "party system" as in the Halo-esque game lobby for multiplayer, no. That's in the final game. Unfortunately (and to my dismay) they only included the very first level of the game in the demo, which is just a small house (Zack's House) being invaded by zombies. It's fun, but you don't get the full enjoyment out of the 4 player gaming in such a small play area. Also, I don't remember if we included difficulty levels in the demo, but if we did, just try and beat Zack's House on Madness. Just try it. Mwahaha. Also, the controls should be very reminiscent of Smash TV, in case you're wondering.

As far as online multiplayer goes, you get one Arena and one Battlefield map, and they're both pretty good. Arena games are restricted to 4 player versus deathmatch with a fixed overhead camera, and it essentially controls like single-player. Battlefield, however, is a completely different story. It plays a lot like an FPS. Large maps, vehicles, crazy powerups, the ability to transform into superpowered monsters (we have 6 different transformations in the final, but the demo only has the Werewolf). I personally prefer Battlefield, I dunno why. I guess it's because I'm "too close" to the Arena mode and have played nearly 500 hours of it while developing its gameplay. Battlefield was more of a group effort and it rocks when you get a bunch of people in at once.

I would like to mention, however, that things have changed drastically since the demo was made -- for the better, of course. While many review sites didn't enjoy the demo (primarily for lack of a good SP demonstration map) they're really digging the final. We have some ingame cutscenes that are absolutely brilliant, and some of them will make you laugh your ass off. We got a new writer a few months ago that I swear must have come right off of Robot Chicken. He's really funny.

Yeah, rotation speed has increased when turning. The demo uses an older camera-relative turning system, but that system has been rewritten from scratch. It's now much more accurate and responsive. Melee weapons are just a tiny part of the game, really, and you'll use them most in only the first two or three levels. After that you can use your monster tokens to buy and upgrade weapons (there's like 30 weapons and they all have 3 upgrade levels) at Larry's shop. The profile system is pretty complex -- It's the crazy ranged weapons that are the most fun. My favorite is the level 2 and 3 Tazers, because when it hits an enemy the electricity will jump from that enemy to any other nearby enemies, creating a kickass chain effect. The level 3 Tazer is actually just two level 2 Tazers dual-wielded, and can lightning-chain up to twice as many enemies.

This is all good to hear and is what I was hoping.  I want to like this title.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 10:22:03 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 16, 2007, 03:54:22 AM

Ditto

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 01:56:40 AM »

the guy in the interview mentioned rotation speed - this is very good in my book because i couldnt stand it.  didnt feel fluid at all - felt more like an auto target and not a turn - VERY jerky.

there was a game i played to death and loved as a kid.  i think it was on snes and was called zombies ate my neighbors - this could be the successor - but theres still no way in hell id touch it at 60
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 03:02:50 AM »

I finally got a chance to try this demo out and I have to agree with you guys.  I might be willing to give it a try if it was from the Arcade or a very cheap budget release, but no way would I buy this. 

Part of the problem is that the game just starts out a little hectic and you have no clue what's going on.  For me on my monitor (only 21") I couldn't tell where the weapons were, when I picked one up, how much ammo I had or where to get more and all sorts of other vital information that should be second nature in a game like this.  Bleah. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: