http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 03:47:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: monster hunter: freedom impressions  (Read 4050 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:31:02 AM »

i'm in love...

to call mh:f's learning curve steep is an understatement - a few hours in & i haven't even nicked the surface...

the bad: yeah, there's loading between sections of the areas, but they're all under 10 seconds. & yeah, the game's a battery hog, owing to those loading screens - i'll probably be playing it plugged in. & yeah, the camera's kinda nasty (tho the tap left / align becomes second-nature pretty quickly)...

the good: the game looks, sounds, & feels fantastic. it really does come off like a violent version of animal crossing, to the extent that it's completely what you make of it, & there's a hella lot to be made (farming, fishing. & mining included). probably not for everyone, but, if you've got the time, & you're looking to get lost in a challenging, open-ended, beautifully realized sandbox world full of monsters & strange (yeah, i already've gotten mugged by a roving band of felyne gang-bangers - little bastards!), mhf is the place to be...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 06:15:14 AM »

Yeah, I've been really enjoying it after picking it up today.

I'm almost surprised how eccentric it is, with the whole "spitfire pit" whatever when you're cooking the meat and the cat people or whatnot.  But that's actually really cool in this game - it's better than having a strict, no fun, and no "gag" sort of element in it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how fishing/other extra curricular activities I'll be doing in the future are going to be.  If it has that same sort of Animal Crossing addictiveness, that would be awesome.

It's also very pretty to look at.  The loading times are hardly a hassle - I don't get how some reviewers have really panned the game due to them.  Sure there are a couple of maximum 10-second loading times in a level, but really, does it break up the action that much?  I don't think so.

Fairly nice music and sounds great with headphones.

I can't wait to try some other weapons as I play tomorrow.  Interested in trying a bowgun - anyone have any experience in that yet?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 08:53:57 AM »

Thanks for the impressions guys!  Keep 'em coming please.  <debates picking up monster hunter... wallet whaps him on the back of the head>

Pikachu, I Blame you!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 12:03:40 PM »

I picked it up up yesterday, but haven't played.  I was trying to get the Kai thing to work and then realized you either have to have a specific brand and model of router to work or a PC with one aof a bunch of certain brands and models of wireless cards in them.  I have neither, so I couldn't make it work.

I will probably play it tonight, though, and take a little break from Metal Gear Acid 2, which just plain rocks.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 01:44:45 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
It's also very pretty to look at.  The loading times are hardly a hassle - I don't get how some reviewers have really panned the game due to them.  Sure there are a couple of maximum 10-second loading times in a level, but really, does it break up the action that much?  I don't think so.

When reviewers are used to next to zero loading times on other portable systems (DS/GBA), and even on standard consoles (PS2/Xbox/Cube on some games only), a 10 second loading time is huge.

Anybody remember that Wrestlemania game for the PSP? Now that's some loading time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 04:02:38 AM »

to call mh:f's learning curve steep is an understatement - a few hours in & i haven't even nicked the surface...

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Are you saying you don't get the game yet, or you're still in the handholding/tutorial part of the game?  I haven't made the plunge yet, and I'm worried the steep learning curve is going to keep me from getting into it.  Can you give examples?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 04:33:51 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Are you saying you don't get the game yet, or you're still in the handholding/tutorial part of the game?  I haven't made the plunge yet, and I'm worried the steep learning curve is going to keep me from getting into it.  Can you give examples?

maybe 'learning curve' was a poor way of putting it. what i should've said is the game opens up to you very slowly & deliberately - you really do feel like you're new to the village. while there's lots of information available, it's not always clear - i've gathered more than a few items i'm not sure exactly how to use yet. combat can be (quite realistically) overwhelming at times, &, tho upgrading your equipment helps, money (at least initially, & also realistically) is hard to accumulate...

i guess, basically, i'd describe it as almost an anti-instant-gratification kinda experience - from the get-go, you're really earning your way into the whole thing, in a very fundamental, believable way, that's unlike most other games i've played. here's a post from someone at gamefaqs that says it better than i ever could:

What Monster Hunter Freedom is:

A HUNTING SIMULATION. Period.

If Capcom would have marketed the game as such, ALOT of professional reviewers, hardcore gamers, and fans of hunting and the like would have immediately known how to classify this game. This game's only "problem" was it's confusion in the way it was marketed.

The game is about HUNTING dragons. And, they tried to make it as "real" as possible. This is why the game feels "hard".

Also, it would explain why there is no castle, no princess, no instant level-ups, no saving anywhere, and no inventory chest of 1000 items. Because, in real life, you wouldnt have any of that stuff anyway. It is you and a weapon. And, whatever you are either smart enough or dumb enough to carry with you on a realistic hunting trip with dragons and other creatures that are ready to stomp you to death.

If this game could be 'compared' to any other game that is on the market right now, it would be, Animal Crossing.

Only in MHF instead of befriending the animals, you kill them, eat them, and skin their carcasses for new clothing and/or weapons. And, there is no dog singing in a lounge on saturday nights at 9pm. The cats in this game wouldn't stand for that. There are no cheery outfit changes and interior decorating contests.

The MH series in general tries to steer clear of such imagery. That may be why there is so much blood. This game is aimed at a more serious and mature audience.

An audience that understands that nothing comes without hard work. I could take this deeper and tell you that's probably why this game has received astounding success in Japan. But, im going to digress because it will turn this topic into something else. But, I do understand why Capcom was reluctant to release this and MH2 to the west. And, after reading a lot of the posts so far, you now can understand too.

Lastly, there is nothing wrong with the single-player aspect of this game, once you understand the core of what this game truly is. Again, a HUNTING SIMULATION with dragons.

Ever been on a hunting trip? Well, that's what this is.
A hunting trip with really really really BIG game.

The End.

if that sounds interesting, you'll love the game...

ps: this was my second day in, & i already managed to carve up a few velociprey (very creepy - they travel in packs & call each other!) - so you do progress... just kinda slowly...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 12:03:31 PM »

I played through the first 6 introduction quests given by the chief guy last night.  Basically, these serve as a kind of tutorial to teach you how to hunt and gather in the game.  I can tell already that this game is right up my alley as it has these wacky cats that help take care of your farm.

Semiconcious is very correct in saying this is a hunting sim, though don't think of Deer Hunter in that regards.  It is like a hunting sim RPG type of thing.  If you're not hunting, you can gather materials to upgrade your armor.  You basically do quests to get out there and either hunt or gather specific items to earn cash.  I hunted three different prey in those quests I did.  One was an herbivore which I had to hunt to get some raw meat and then cook that meat.  Oh, that reminds me of one cool thing, which is that over time you get hungry and it affects your stamina.  So, while you are out int he field hunting, your stamina bar will get shorter and shorter and you can increase it by eating meat that you have cooked.

A second monster I fought was a large boar who would charge me.  He was pretty fun to take down and let me see how different the strategies for monsters can be (the herbivores were basically stand and spear).  Finally, the last were a pack of velociprey, which had this fun jumping attack, which again made me have to change the way I approached hunting them.

I am not very far in, I know, but I assume I will be introduced to a variety of monsters which will vary in how I have to track them down and hunt them.  So far, I like and I assume I will continue to like.  I will update again when I have some more time in.  I can tell, though, that this is the type of game that not everyone would enjoy.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 02:53:34 PM »

How hard is the tracking and how long does it take?  Are we talking Deer Hunter style there or is it a little more friendly.  I realize it won't be hack n' slash, but does it take 45 minutes to find the prey?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 03:10:42 PM »

So you receive quests as to which monsters to hunt? Such as, "X monster is terrorizing Y village, can you kill?" OR "I need the talons from a WhoseEwatchit to create this potion, can you retrieve one for me?"

I watched the video on gametrailers.com and thought the gameplay looked pretty enjoyable.

What are the RPG elements like?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 03:22:07 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
How hard is the tracking and how long does it take?  Are we talking Deer Hunter style there or is it a little more friendly.  I realize it won't be hack n' slash, but does it take 45 minutes to find the prey?

so far, the prey's been pretty much right there; i've read hunting/killing the bigger guys later on can take longer...

Quote from: "Poomba"
So you receive quests as to which monsters to hunt? Such as, "X monster is terrorizing Y village, can you kill?" OR "I need the talons from a WhoseEwatchit to create this potion, can you retrieve one for me?"

I watched the video on gametrailers.com and thought the gameplay looked pretty enjoyable.

What are the RPG elements like?

on the quests, yes...

on the rpg elements, it's about upgrading weapons/equipment & gaining skills...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 07:20:33 PM »

I've been playing whenever I've been having the chance and I'm still very much enjoying it . . . even if I'm still in the "tutorial" sort of phase.

The farm is a cool place to "hang" with those cat . . . people.  I'm still wondering what the benefits are of:

a) fishing
b) crop management
c) the honeycomb thing
d) mining

But I like the idea of it all.

I've been getting a lot of (seemingly) random items here and there, like all sorts of herbs, some dung (YES WYVERN droppings!!), random ores, and some scales.  What I would like to know is the use of all of these - I've tried combining plants and such, which is swell, but some of the items (also, like mushrooms too) I just put in my chest at home due to not having any idea what to do with them.  I guess I just might have to revert to looking at some sort of listing...

Tried using the bowgun, but honestly I just like my sword.  I could see how using the bowgun would be beneficial in multi-player play.

I'm interested in toying around with traps and other sort of mechanisms to trap/kill some monsters.  That should really open up the gameplay later on.

So far I'm still enjoing it!  Still getting the "MMO" sort of vibe from it, which is cool for a portable handheld.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 07:55:43 PM »

Is there a point to this game, like the ultimate boss monster to kill?  What's the goal?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »

So far I'm still enjoing it!  Still getting the "MMO" sort of vibe from it, which is cool for a portable handheld.

it's the handheld aspect of the game that really makes it a lock for me - much like ac:ww, this game just 'works' better as a handheld, pick-it-up-put-it-down experience. that it's maybe even prettier this way is gravy...

i'd been tempted to play the n.a. ps2 version, but the extreme difficulty / impossibility of bagging the larger creatures solo, combined with the right analog attack setup kept me away. but, between this being a port of the up-graded japanese version & the retooling of attack to buttons, there were no more reasons not to dive in...

Quote from: "Scott"
Is there a point to this game, like the ultimate boss monster to kill? What's the goal?

briefly, other than dealing with multiple challenges, & having a great time, there is no point/goal (very lifelike that way)...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 05:57:32 AM »

Whoa, talk about insane difficulty ramping:

The quest after the first one you encounter and kill three blue rapter things (I believe it's "gather 7 special mushrooms") the difficulty went sky-high!  Now there are actual predators in practically EVERY zone!  Including like, six blue rapter things in one area and three of those charging ones in another.  Seriously!  Wtf!

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 12:46:18 PM »

The quest after the first one you encounter and kill three blue rapter things (I believe it's "gather 7 special mushrooms") the difficulty went sky-high!  Now there are actual predators in practically EVERY zone!  Including like, six blue rapter things in one area and three of those charging ones in another.  Seriously!  Wtf!

Yeah, wait until you have to kill the Velocidrome.  I died so many times because it was him and then like 6 other velociprey all gangbanging me.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 02:16:39 PM »

i'm on the last level 1 chief quest (wyvern egg) & have been keeping up pretty well, mostly because i've done a few extra 'gathering' runs (the first quest in the guild) for items/cash to upgrade my stuff (all chain armor / now working on bonepick+ sword). as far as raptors, if i don't have to / wanna fight'm for goodies, i pretty much run past'm..

depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 07:35:19 PM »

Yeah, I suppose just running past is a good idea   biggrin   I just thought how the transition from "go to ___ area and fight something" to "now there are predators in lots of areas" was a big step.  But I guess it goes along with the steepish' learning curve, for sure.

So I just decided to do some older quests to get some items to sell off, go over to my farm and fertile seeds with dung (oooh tricky tricky!), fish and mine, and have been slowly accumulating some z to purchase a new sword/shield combo as well as battle armor.

I'LL BE A MONSTER HUNTER IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 08:17:11 PM »

Yeah, I suppose just running past is a good idea   biggrin   I just thought how the transition from "go to ___ area and fight something" to "now there are predators in lots of areas" was a big step.  But I guess it goes along with the steepish' learning curve, for sure.

So I just decided to do some older quests to get some items to sell off, go over to my farm and fertile seeds with dung (oooh tricky tricky!), fish and mine, and have been slowly accumulating some z to purchase a new sword/shield combo as well as battle armor.

I'LL BE A MONSTER HUNTER IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO

working my way up to battle armor, too (having just done in the velocidrome dj was talking about - was a little intense, but i got'm first try)...

otherwise, i'm doing what you're doing (especially mining). mh:f's a grind for sure (make a shopping list, supply yourself, go on an outing, repeat), but were i asked to dream up an open-ended, grind-type game, it'd looked & feel an awful lot like this one - felynes'n'all (very, very strange, btw, going back'n'forth between this & ac smile ...)

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 09:44:02 PM »

Does this look like it has some life single-player?  I'm tempted, especially since Field Commander's multiplayer has been getting bashed in that thread, but I'm worried by the fact that some of the big hunts seem to need mutliple hunters (at least by the reviews).  I don't have anyone around to play with, and my network equipment is not going to work with a tunnel program.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 12:26:25 AM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
Does this look like it has some life single-player?  I'm tempted, especially since Field Commander's multiplayer has been getting bashed in that thread, but I'm worried by the fact that some of the big hunts seem to need mutliple hunters (at least by the reviews).  I don't have anyone around to play with, and my network equipment is not going to work with a tunnel program.

like i said, it's a port of the japanese upgraded version, which revised the single-player aspect & made it do-able, tho pretty challenging (what the big hunts require now are time & patience, basically - 2 things many reviewers appear to lack)...

&, on a side note - i got my piggie!...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 02:01:50 AM »

Just an update:

My chickie "Monster Hunta" (please pronounce that like the Domino Harvey, "I'm a bounty hunta" phrase) Offred is doing well for herself.  I'm letting her slowly advance through the game . . . so I've played a little more than nine hours and have only done the first eight questions for the first star difficulty.  So I'm taking my time, obtaining lots of item drops, and adapting to how MHF plays.

As for equipment, I have a full set of Velociprey armor which sports a nice tourquoise coloring touch.  I'm sure Velociprey cringe at the site of me when I'm wearing it.  I've tried almost all of the weapons aside from the hammer and find the sword & shield combo the most fitting for how I like to play.  I liked the lance, but I thought the great sword was way too sluggish.  The gun seems like something I would really only want to use when hunting with others.  So yep, my primary sword is the Bone Kris.

A couple of questions: has anyone found out a way to perhaps expand how many items you can carry?  I wish I had more space so I didn't have to make a decision as to what to discard when I'm out in the field.  Also, I'm collecting and storing a good deal of items, including lots of herbs, berry sort of items, and so forth.  Should I just be selling these items?  And lastly (for right now anyway) - any opinions as to the most worthwhile Kokoto Farm upgrades there are?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 05:05:19 AM »

A couple of questions: has anyone found out a way to perhaps expand how many items you can carry?  I wish I had more space so I didn't have to make a decision as to what to discard when I'm out in the field.  Also, I'm collecting and storing a good deal of items, including lots of herbs, berry sort of items, and so forth.  Should I just be selling these items?  And lastly (for right now anyway) - any opinions as to the most worthwhile Kokoto Farm upgrades there are?

I'll try to tackle some of these questions based on my playing experiences.  I  only have one quest left in the 2nd tier Chieftain quests, so I think I have some more time in than you.

I haven't seen any way to increase your inventory, but since they were nice enough to let you do upgrades with items in your item box, there really is no need to carry anything around more than what you need for your next quest.

You use herbs and blue mushrooms to make potions and the berries seem to be used to make ammunition for the gun, so if you never use the gun, then I assume you can sell them unless the kitchen cats use them (I haven't unlocked it yet).

With regards to upgrades to the farm, I don't have even enough points yet to do the 1000 point one yet, much less the other ones, but I think I am probably going to go with the mushroom one first, just to get mushrooms for crafting.

As more my updated impressions on the game, I have played it a good deal today and I both love it and hate it at the same time.  The controls can definitely get frustrating and the game could certainly do with some kind of target lock system, though I think there is locational damage so there would have to be a way to switch between areas if they had done it.

The game tutorial made it seem like you could sneak around, but monsters seem to spot me from way off, even when I am crouched and moving very slowly.  Just kind of frustrating that they put tools in there for stealth-based play and don't seem to be using them.

Sometimes the areas can be too small.  I had a quest to kill 10 of these charging boars and it was incredibly difficult to pull off because I was being attacked by 8 of these things at once and they don't give you any time to drink a potion while you are in there.  I would have to leave the zone and I am thinking that the health ont hese guys resets if you do that.  I know the health doesn't reset on the wyverns, but I think everything else might.  At any rate, constantly dodging 8 chargin boars was very annoying and I think it was mostly made difficuly by the cramped quarters of that area.

Killing a wyvern is a bitch.  This game is definitely not about rushing in and attacking these things and you really need to exercise some patience.  The controls make the battles a little more diificult than they should be.

Overall, though, I am enjoying the game, though it really is not for everyone.  The game is a lot of work where you have to do some grinding to get materials to upgrade your armor and weapons.  When I opened up the tier 2 quests, the first quest was to kill a wyvern and I kept trying and dying on it, thinking that since it was the first quest, I should be able to do it.  I was very wrong on that, so I went ahead and did all the other quests except one and then came back to it after I had done some upgrading and managed to kill the wyvern with my last continue.

One fear I have is that I have basically exhausted all the areas, though.  I think I have visited about 5 (counting the cat arena) and I am not sure if there are more or not.  Actually, I guess there are, because I had heard someone talk about a volcano.

At any rate, though sometimes I tell myself I am going to bring it back to the store and trade it in, overall I have basically been playing it non-stop today, so that should tell me that there is something about the game the has me hooked.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 03:06:46 PM »

i agree with most of dj's comments (i've done a few of the level 2 missions), especially regarding the boars (tho i was able to lure some over & never had to deal with more than 3 at once) & the kut ku (very chaotic without a lock-on - & don't even think about not paintballing it). i also put hours into it yesterday, and feel like maybe i've got much more of a handle on the game, or at least how i'm gonna approach it (for example, for the next upgrade on the bonespike i'd like the dual blades one, which are (at least initially) weaker, so i've begun upgrading the hunter's knife to something substantial (green sharpness) i can use on the field while i upgrade the other)...

i've sold lots of stuff, &'ve done several uprades in the farm (as i could afford them), & i also pay lots more attention to what the vendors sell now. (as far as carrying more stuff, i've read it's a skill that can be gotten with certain armor). basically, i'm playing more slowly, now...

mh:f is very deliberate & can be very repetitive - probably, like animal crossing, a better place to visit / hang out than to live. i think if you can enjoy it on that level, it's a very deep, solid, & rewarding game. & most definitely not for everyone...

ps: there's a spot in the jungle (lower sw) with some raptors, where, if you climb up on a section, there's the remains of a nest. also up there is a spot that (so far) has always had a few pieces of kut ku scale, which are always good for a little cash...

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »

I finished off my last Tier 2 qquest and got the option to do the Felyne kitchen no.  When I was in there, the cat I hired asked for 3 knife mackerel, which I did not have.  So, I went out and did a quest and fished the mackerel I needed.  When I went back, he was takling about how you could catch insects with nets and I couldn't give him the fish, so I guess it is one of those things where you need to have it and what the cat talks about changes each time you come back from a quest.  I had the cat make me a meal which increased my stamina.  I assume it will only be for the next quest I do and I assume other food combinations will lead to other bonuses.

I complained a lot in that last post, but I actually do like the game, though it can be frustrating at times.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 11:27:12 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
I finished off my last Tier 2 qquest

still have the second kut-ku & crystal hunting mission (damn, i hate those! - as weirdly amusing as they are...) to go on tier 2. did the second urgent quest & killed the land shark last night, which i now see has opened up tier 3...

looking forward to the felyne kitchen smile . extended the fishing pier on the farm, which means more fishing per turn & more/different fish. gonna go for some genprey fangs next  outing & level up to viper bite...

I actually do like the game, though it can be frustrating at times.

my feelings as well. i'm starting to really understand what the guy i quoted earlier said about being surprised they even brought the game out here. in it's own way, it's about as nasty as any game i've ever played at times - but the overall beauty & depth of it's construction continues to amaze me. for other people, there're sports/racing sims; for me, anyway, there's monster hunter...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 03:51:18 AM »

I'm having a hardish time with the larger monsters (even velocidrome).  Don't know why really . . . guess I need more experience fighting those creatures.

Still having a blast with the game - I have a Viper Blade and, with the Velocipry armor I look 100% badass.

I guess my problem is the never ending swarm of regular velocipry when I'm battling against a velocidrome.  Then the thing that REALLY irks me is when I can't carve them due to leaping velocipry - makes me want to carry a flash just so I can toss it when carving.  That's kind of a waste though, yeah?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 05:01:38 AM »

Wow I can't kill those Piscine or whatever Wyverns in the desert.  Goddamn I suck!   :?

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »

after pulling off the 'kill 2 gendrome' quest twice last night, some things i've found work for me (i'm still using the bonestrike, even though i've upgraded the other sword up to viper bite+ - not sure if having a bit of green blade makes it that much better, but it's good for my morale smile ):

keep moving, keep your eye on the drome, & never stop attacking it (i'm using the circle button horizontal slash lots more - when it connects solidly, it'll frequently knock the drome on it's ass - as well as the  combined circle/triangle attack (very good damage) when i've got a nice clear shot). all easier said than done, i guess, but, for me, deadly effective. &, last but not least, when your health's down, pull back (aka 'run away!') & regroup. once i stopped trying to do it all in one shot, everything got much easier for me (ie, i was panicking less & just focusing on kicking their asses). i haven't used paintballs or shock bombs, only because i haven't needed
to...

as far as the sand shark, it took me over a half-hour, & involved lots of running around like a maniac smile . it's fin is a bit bigger/darker than the others. i did manage to paintball it at one point, but, since there's only 3 areas it can be,  that didn't seem so important. the thing with the sand shark is, it's pretty damn easy to damage & dodge - once you get the friggin' thing to surface! that's really the 'hard' part. other than just popping up on it's own a few times, i shock bombed it once,  & whacked on it's fin the rest. (i've since read that if you kill the smaller ones, they don't come back, & that if, when they do that above-the-surface rush attack, you block it, they will stay on the surface for a bit)...

discretion really is the better part of valor in this game. it's been more about cat'n'mouse, & patience, than brute force when i've been successful...

edit: finally finished the level 2 quests & upgraded to the deathprize - but
still no felyne kitchen (i guess the lady that opens it shows up randomly?)...

update: have my 2 felynes (natalie & conan) in my kitchen, have cleared half the level 3 quests (can now dispatch velociprey with one stroke), & finally, a week later, i feel like i've cracked through the surface of the game...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 08:05:01 PM »

Just wanted to ask since I haven't played MHF in a couple of days (been extremely busy) - what weapon do all of you use?  I've tried almost all of them, minus the hammer, but I prefer the SnS.  Though, I kinda enjoyed the Lance.  What does everyone else use?

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 10:33:17 PM »

still using deathprize, which i like, tho i'm thinking it's time to start working on upgrading the great sword rather than upgrading the bonespike to duals next. haven't tried hammer or spear, & only used the bowgun one outing to down some vespoids for some monster fluid (which i had to do running around in my original skimpy bikini outfit, as i didn't have any gunner armor) - it was fine, but i'm thinking it's much more suited for multi-play than single (never mind building up an ammo collection for it)...

doing the urgent yian garuga quest right now - i've failed twice, but i've read that the way the 'damage & repel' quests work is that, if you save even after failing, the damage you've done carries over to your next attempt (which is fortunate - he's one well-armored bastard)...

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 11:29:14 PM »

Reviews on this game are so bad, yet most of the impressions I've seen on message boards are very positive.  So what's the final verdict on this game?  Should I return Field Commander and pick it up?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2006, 12:21:06 AM »

I'm thinking the same thing - The loss of online seems like a plus to me and the reason why I stayed away from the PS2 version.

All the non-review impressions seem pretty damn good!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2006, 02:10:09 AM »

don't know about field commander, but, as i've mentioned elsewhere, if you're looking for cheap thrills, keep looking - getting anywhere in this game requires a certain amount of dedication & patience. that said, this game is as strangely satisfying as just about any i've ever played, very solid & amazingly well realized - sometimes frustrating, always challenging, but, hey, - no one ever said hunting dinosaurs & dragons would be easy, right? (i'd recommend at least a rental - & several days of gameplay)...

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2006, 03:21:20 AM »

I'm still liking it a great deal, though I echo that it is most definitely not for everyone.  It very much feels like an MMO in that you will be doing some of the quests over and over again to get money and loot to improve your gear.  Since I like MMOs, that is kind of a plus in my book, but YMMV.

As far as weapons go, I am using the lance currently.  It is somewhat difficult to wield.  I have it up to Bonce Lance+ right now, which I suppose isn't very high.  Everyone else who posts seems to have improved their weapons much more before going through the quests, because I am on the Tier 3 quests and don't have the stuff to upgrade.  I need Machalite Ore and am not sure how to get it.  I guess I need to try mining in other areas besides the Forest and Hills.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2006, 03:51:13 AM »

I'm still liking it a great deal, though I echo that it is most definitely not for everyone.  It very much feels like an MMO in that you will be doing some of the quests over and over again to get money and loot to improve your gear.  Since I like MMOs, that is kind of a plus in my book, but YMMV.

As far as weapons go, I am using the lance currently.  It is somewhat difficult to wield.  I have it up to Bonce Lance+ right now, which I suppose isn't very high.  Everyone else who posts seems to have improved their weapons much more before going through the quests, because I am on the Tier 3 quests and don't have the stuff to upgrade.  I need Machalite Ore and am not sure how to get it.  I guess I need to try mining in other areas besides the Forest and Hills.

I got two Machalite ores from mining in my Kokoto Farm!  So yeah, try there I guess.

Devil - it does have online through XLink.  But, of course, you need a specific set-up to get online.  Haven't tried it yet, but plan to this weekend.

MHF is strangely addicting.  It's like an MMO that you can play on the go.  Which, for me, is awesome.  And I'm really enjoying it.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2006, 05:22:08 AM »

I haven't been able to play much thanks to a combination of training and playing Battlefield 2.  I think I just upgraded to the bone kris+ last time.  

There is so much to do in the game it can seem overwhelming (to me) at times, but it is fun to play.

Fortunately I have a number of midnite to 8am shifts coming this summer so I will have plenty of time to get playtime in!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2006, 11:32:19 AM »

I got two Machalite ores from mining in my Kokoto Farm!  So yeah, try there I guess.

I have been mining there forever and still not gotten any of that ore.  I also tried a level 4 guild gather quest in the first world and, while I did come away with something called Dragonite, I did not come away with what I wanted.  I guess I am just unlucky.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2006, 03:56:49 PM »

Devil - it does have online through XLink. But, of course, you need a specific set-up to get online. Haven't tried it yet, but plan to this weekend.

Thanks, dep - Let me know how it goes!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
depward

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2006, 06:03:26 PM »

I have been mining there forever and still not gotten any of that ore.  I also tried a level 4 guild gather quest in the first world and, while I did come away with something called Dragonite, I did not come away with what I wanted.  I guess I am just unlucky.

That's weird . . . I had a power-gaming session last night with MHF and came away with about six Machalite ores.  No kidding!  If only we could somehow trade man - they would be all yours!

The only places I recall where I mined are in Kokoto Farm, area 6 of the desert, and the various places at the first Hills place.

My question for you (and everyone else) is: what pickaxe are you using?  I dislike the seemingly quick breaking point of the iron pickaxe.  So I upgraded to a "Mega Pickaxe" by combining (here it is again...) Malachite ore with a bone.  But then THAT broke after about 10 times!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: