http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 10:33:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monday's VC titles revealed  (Read 1870 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2006, 10:27:24 PM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=7721

A nice little release. I can get with 4 or 5 a week. That'd be 250 games next year alone. Now as you can see in my comments, I am miffed by the whole Price Floor system. I think some of these games should be cheaper than the $8 that Sega is charging. Some of them, like Altered Beast, should only be $4 or $5 bucks at most. On top of that, since it's a floor there is nothing keeping these companies from charging more. I think "A link to the past" is going to be like $9 because Nintendo knows it can hose us. Finally I know you can't play PS2 games on the Wii, but it hurts to see a $20 collection with a lot of great Genesis games on it.

Hopefully Nintendo will tweak everything. For the last two weeks their forums have been bombarded with pleas for information and BAM we get this PR.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 11:05:17 PM »

While I can see your point, at the same time, the prices are roughly in line with the pricing model for XBox Live Arcade. MS set the bar, Nintendo and Sony will, I expect, stay roughly in line with that as long as people are willing to pay it.

My chief complaint on the Wii's VC system is that it doesn't allow for multiplayer online somehow. :icon_sad:

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 11:58:31 PM »

My complaint is that the Japanese have 35 VC games already at launch....most of which are FAR better than the ones that we are stuck with until the end of the year.

Super Mario World, Contra 3, Super Castlevania 4, Super Mario 1, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Gunstar Heroes.....those are all out over there NOW.....but we get Mario Bros and Soccer?? WTF.

Thanks Reggie!

finger

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 12:04:08 AM »

As much as we bitch about retail gaming stores, at least they compete against one another sometimes offering good prices on games.  With the online model each company has a little monopoly and can charge whatever the market will pay since nobody can offer a lower price.

16-bit and loving it!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 12:12:55 AM »

Nothing there I want. I continue to wait for Super Metroid. HURRY UP NINTENDO YOU LOSERS~!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 12:23:40 AM »

It would be better if they charged $3-$5 instead of $8...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 12:25:05 AM »

My chief complaint on the Wii's VC system is that it doesn't allow for multiplayer online somehow. :icon_sad:

The price, and this right here, is why I'm not buying anything for the VC.  Thanks anyway Nintendo.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 12:27:21 AM »

Quote from: biggercup on December 03, 2006, 12:23:40 AM

I think they'd sell a LOT more games if they priced it at that price range. I know I'd definitely buy more if they did.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 12:46:29 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 03, 2006, 12:27:21 AM

Quote from: biggercup on December 03, 2006, 12:23:40 AM

I think they'd sell a LOT more games if they priced it at that price range. I know I'd definitely buy more if they did.

Same here. As it is, $8 for stuff like Altered Beast and $5 for NES Soccer, Pinball and the 100th version of Mario Bros. is highway robbery.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 02:18:25 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 03, 2006, 12:25:05 AM

The price, and this right here, is why I'm not buying anything for the VC.  Thanks anyway Nintendo.
....but Link to the Past rocked  nod

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 01:01:15 AM »

I've heard the Bomberman game is really good. Anything else stand out so far?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 04:02:00 AM »

In high school, I used to play Bomberman with depward, gatorfavre, and our friend Morgan in computer class.  It was really fun.  I'm thinking about downloading it just for the multiplayer (which I hear is notoriously addicting).
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 05:15:50 AM »

Quote from: hornysax on December 04, 2006, 04:02:00 AM

In high school, I used to play Bomberman with depward, gatorfavre, and our friend Morgan in computer class.  It was really fun.  I'm thinking about downloading it just for the multiplayer (which I hear is notoriously addicting).
I wish it had online multiplayer...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 05:59:10 AM »

I remember Columns being fun, so I may get that. I have really fond memories of Dr Mario though, hope that makes it to VC.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 06:22:55 AM »

Quote from: Lee on December 04, 2006, 05:59:10 AM

I remember Columns being fun, so I may get that. I have really fond memories of Dr Mario though, hope that makes it to VC.
I THINK that was announced...

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 03:59:12 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 03, 2006, 12:46:29 AM

Same here. As it is, $8 for stuff like Altered Beast and $5 for NES Soccer, Pinball and the 100th version of Mario Bros. is highway robbery.

Hyperbole much?

Doesn't seem crazy overpriced. If anything, I like that they're charging the same for all titles on a given system, otherwise we'd see something like Super Metroid released for $15 (*cough*XBLA SF2*cough*) instead of $8. They're charging based on the rough memory footprint of the game rather than on its popularity rating.

For me, being able to not deal with tons of cartridges and consoles is worth the few extra bucks more than I might have to pay at a used game store.

And for the greats, you'd probably have to pay more for the cartridge at a used shop anyway. Have you guys priced titles like Super Metroid used recently? At the used shops around town here used SNES games, for example, run anywhere from $4 to $30+ depending on rarity and demand.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 04:09:55 PM »

Hyperbole much?

Dude!  I loved that football game!  HYPER BOWL!

What were we talking about?...
Oh yea...how do these look on a big TV?  are they boxed in like Dig Dug on Live, or do they stretch?  What about widescreen? 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 04:12:48 PM »

I'm curious how they look on an HD set too, as that's what I run. I just am waiting until the launch season fever dies down (and my fall gaming backlog gets mostly worked through) before I grab a Wii myself.

I really, really hope they eventually get Tecmo Bowl III on the SNES on the Virtual Console. That'd be well worth $8 to me! icon_biggrin

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 05:59:11 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 04, 2006, 03:59:12 PM

Hyperbole much?

Doesn't seem crazy overpriced. If anything, I like that they're charging the same for all titles on a given system, otherwise we'd see something like Super Metroid released for $15 (*cough*XBLA SF2*cough*) instead of $8. They're charging based on the rough memory footprint of the game rather than on its popularity rating.

For me, being able to not deal with tons of cartridges and consoles is worth the few extra bucks more than I might have to pay at a used game store.

And for the greats, you'd probably have to pay more for the cartridge at a used shop anyway. Have you guys priced titles like Super Metroid used recently? At the used shops around town here used SNES games, for example, run anywhere from $4 to $30+ depending on rarity and demand.

Ok, how is $8 for Altered Beast not outright BS? It's $19.99 for it + 27 other games on the PS2 (along with other extra arcade games and bonuses). You think that is fair to pay $8 for just Altered Beast?? Alright then.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 06:34:32 PM »

Anyone play Ristar?  Looks like a fun platformer.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 06:54:07 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 04, 2006, 05:59:11 PM

Quote from: Farscry on December 04, 2006, 03:59:12 PM

Hyperbole much?

Ok, how is $8 for Altered Beast not outright BS? It's $19.99 for it + 27 other games on the PS2 (along with other extra arcade games and bonuses). You think that is fair to pay $8 for just Altered Beast?? Alright then.

You need to rip on XBLA as well, then. How is $15 for the original Street Fighter 2 ok? You can buy the SF2 + 3 collection for the PS2 for $20. Or how about Pac-Man XBLA? Or Dig-Dug? Or Joust? Or Frogger? Or on and on?

I'm simply pointing out that based on the precedent that XBLA has set, these offerings are reasonably priced. If there are games you can get with other deals for less, then hey, you're welcome to do that. I don't bitch about the price of SF2 on XBLA precisely because I can get it in other formats for less if I wish.

So, you don't want to pay $8 for Altered Beast? Don't. It's not such a big deal.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 07:03:58 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 04, 2006, 06:54:07 PM

You need to rip on XBLA as well, then. How is $15 for the original Street Fighter 2 ok?
Street Fighter 2 is good (and had the added Xbox Live stuff).  Altered Beast is pretty awful.  Sorry, it's a fact.  I remember loving it as a kid but when I played it a year or two ago, I couldn't believe how poorly it holds up.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 07:07:12 PM »

Quote from: kathode on December 04, 2006, 07:03:58 PM

Quote from: Farscry on December 04, 2006, 06:54:07 PM

You need to rip on XBLA as well, then. How is $15 for the original Street Fighter 2 ok?
Street Fighter 2 is good (and had the added Xbox Live stuff).  Altered Beast is pretty awful.  Sorry, it's a fact.  I remember loving it as a kid but when I played it a year or two ago, I couldn't believe how poorly it holds up.
biggrin While I agree with that, the quality of the game itself is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned, since what people love and hate are so very different.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 07:14:50 PM »

games are stretched on an HD tv, which stinks, and hopefully will be addressed. Also, without the Component cables you may see some issues like for me in Solomon's Key where the bottom inch or so was cut off without the cables.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 07:17:37 PM »

:icon_sad: They definitely will need to address that.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 07:33:47 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 04, 2006, 07:14:50 PM

games are stretched on an HD tv, which stinks, and hopefully will be addressed. Also, without the Component cables you may see some issues like for me in Solomon's Key where the bottom inch or so was cut off without the cables.

Ugh....so Samus will look like Roseanne?  Yea...thats gotta get fixed

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 07:45:38 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 04, 2006, 07:33:47 PM

Ugh....so Samus will look like Roseanne?  Yea...thats gotta get fixed

I wouldn't go that far. In fact in Solomon's Key it's not even noticeable. I hear in Zelda it is. In both Bonk and Super Star soldier there is no issue. So It may be on a game by game situation.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2006, 08:10:13 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 02, 2006, 11:58:31 PM

My complaint is that the Japanese have 35 VC games already at launch....most of which are FAR better than the ones that we are stuck with until the end of the year.

Super Mario World, Contra 3, Super Castlevania 4, Super Mario 1, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Gunstar Heroes.....those are all out over there NOW.....but we get Mario Bros and Soccer?? WTF.

Thanks Reggie!

finger

america,japan and europe(sorry dont know about australia)..have all different line ups........we(UK) get donkey kong country on friday(launch day).....i remember when that came out on the SNES it caused a big fuss because of this new developer called RARE and their amazing(at the time) graphics

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2006, 08:44:54 PM »

I hear that Austraila is only getting 2 games....Mario Bros. and one other....plus they won't be getting ANY Turbo-16 games, because the system was never released in Austraila.  saywhat

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2006, 08:53:29 PM »

games are stretched on an HD tv, which stinks, and hopefully will be addressed.

For me, I just tell the TV to display 4:3, and it looks just fine. The Wii apparently is sending a 4:3 signal for VC games, but my TV can't tell for whatever reason. I have the same issue sometimes with some PS2 titles.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: