http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 07:59:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MOH EA first impressions  (Read 975 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2005, 11:58:04 PM »

I rented it today (the Blockbuster manager actually just called me out of the blue and said she would hold it for me if I wanted, and I barely know her-wierd).  At any rate I have played through the first 4 missions, and in some ways it is typical WW2 MOH gameplay only I like it much better than any of the previous Xbox installments.  The sound is freaking phenomenal.  Wow.  Really immersive.  The aiming and controls are really tight-no problems there.  Just a smidgen of forgiveness in the aiming, but I imagine you can toggle that assist off or just set the game up a notch or two in difficulty.  It has like 5 levels of difficulty.  The enemy does a pretty good job of ducking and  running from cover to cover.  The graphics are typical for this generation-I would say about as good as Brothers in Arms.  I like how you can duck behind stuff, pull the left trigger to go into iron sites, and then with the left analog look over or to the side of your cover while in the iron site mode.  Works nicely when you have multiple machine gun nests firing all over your area and germans running to and fro trying to get around you.  

The missions so far (spoilers a comin) have been storming a dock after ramming your ship into them to blowing up and sinking a sub, to blowing up a power plant, to taking out a high ranking german commander in a raid.  All pretty fun actually.  

I would give it an 8 for sure.  And just for the record, I hated the other MOH games on the xbox.  

You also have the ability to use your health packs to heal your comrades instead of using them on yourself.  Tough decision at times, but since they are doing a pretty good job of helping me, I tend to try and keep em alive.  

I haven't played enough nor analyzed it to death to see every nuance.  I was spending too much time just killing nazi's and completing missions.  No doubt I missed quite a bit of annoying stuff I could complain about.  I promise I will try and find lots of stuff to hate about the game the next time I play it.  

My only advice is to not take the normal difficulty level, but choose the next higher one.

Oh, and if you are looking something revolutionarily different in the WW2 genre, this ain't it.  More of the same.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 01:40:59 PM »

Well, I am almost done and I must say my impression of the game has increased.  Wickedly fun.  Best WW2 game, if not best war type game, on the Xbox in my opinion.  So much like Call of Duty when it first hit the street.  The missions get more and more complex and difficult.  Here are some more points of interest:

-enemies never respawn, that I have noticed.  They come onto the field in a logical way-like from off field in a new offensive, or I have shot a machine gun nest gunner only to see another enemy soldier run all the way across the screen through bunkers and enemy fire only to man that machine gun nest again.  
-many different ways to accomplish the goals of each mission.  You can take out the tank with grenades(if you have enough), with a bazooka, or fight your way to the missile launcher and lay into the tank with a dozen rockets.  There are usually 5-6 goals per mission and you can do those in any order you want, and in many of them, in different ways.  Or you can choose to not do half of them and still complete the mission.  You just won't get as good a medal at the end.  
-Depending on how many objectives you get done on a mission determines how many health packs or revives you earn to start the next mission.  Really makes you want to do a good job.  
-Depending on how many of your fellow troops survive, and you have control over that as well, determines how many health packs and revives you earn as well.
-Controls are as good as they get.  You can pop a guy off hundreds of yards away by just nipping the top of his head if you take your time and aim.  The graphics are that clear and the control that spot on.  I have absolutely no qualms there.  As good as Halo for sure. And if you hit them right, it does not take 40 rounds to take someone down.  
-No AI is perfect, but I find this games as good as any I have played.  They move from cover to cover, ducking down as best they can behind something.  Occasionally, they will pick something dumb to hide behind, but hey, who said they were all that bright to start with.  Forgiveable.  Also, if you pop a guy and he is badly hurt but not dead, he will sit there in a kneeled position trying to get his strength up to continue fighting. If you give him enough time, he will be able to get back into the fray, but if you are smart you take that chance to charge and overwhelm him.
-I like how the missions start with showing real footage from that time for the battle you are about to partake in and you hear a WW2 survivor telling what it was like and then the game subtley changes to game time and a younger voice picks up mid-sentence from the old guy and off you go.  Nice touch.

I am not a fanboy of the game, but I don't mind saying it has turned out to be much better than I thought it would and has easily kept my interest.  Which I didn't think a WW2 game could do again.  

I like it.  A 8.8 easily.  

At least rent it and get to Russian section before bailing.  That's when things really take off.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 06:17:55 PM »

Oh, one or two negatives.  Some may not like the fact that you cannot save anywhere and there are no saves throughout each mission.  So, if you die, you must start over.  BUT, keep in mind that throughout the missions after you accomplish one of the 6 major objectives, you often are given a new revive.  This is essentially like a save in that if you die, you instantly revive on the spot to continue on.  And like Enclave did awhile back, it forces you to not just run and gun, but actually creep, use your brain to flank and wisely pick the most dangerous targets first, and carefully manage ammo.  I like that myself.  If I could save anywhere, then half of the challenge and sense of accomplishment would be lost.  I love this earning of revives thing.  Hope more do it.

One other thing some might now like, and I was turned off at first but now it doesn't bug me, is the rather large icons over ammo, health, etc.  

Oh, and why couldn't they make this look like Chaos Theory's or Doom 3 graphics?  Probably because there is 10 times as many things happening on screen would be the response.  Oh well, Call of Duty2 on 360 will have that.  

Nuff on this game.  I'm done posting about it.   Now, on to Shadow of Rome for the PS2.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 07:36:38 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Oh, one or two negatives.  Some may not like the fact that you cannot save anywhere and there are no saves throughout each mission.  So, if you die, you must start over.  BUT, keep in mind that throughout the missions after you accomplish one of the 6 major objectives, you often are given a new revive.  This is essentially like a save in that if you die, you instantly revive on the spot to continue on.

That right there ensures I will never play that game. I hate stuff like that where the devs "force" a play style on you. There are plenty of times in Call of Duty where I would slowly creep forward and think about what I was doing, especially on the harder difficulties, but at no point did I get the feeling I was "supposed" to play slow and easy. The lack of save-anywhere only exemplifies that. In this day and age of memory cards and hard drives, devs that do things like this only force another level of difficulty on the players, to which I say "Bah!"

Thanks for the impressions though, and I'm happy you're enjoying it. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 11:52:28 PM »

So, how many hours is the single player campaign?  I'm hoping it's not as short as Call of Duty (of which I inherited a copy of after a friend of mine beat it in one sitting).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 04:45:14 AM »

I can't believe they didn't include multiplayer with this one.
Bought it for the PS2, played the first mission (just like you described) - interesting enough but it just didn't hold me.
I was really looking forward to getting online and playing some multiplayer team games. What the hell was EA thinking leaving something so important out especially when their old Rising Sun game had online play? (For the ps2 at least anyway)

Just traded the game into EB towards Guild Wars for the PC. Dont regret it one bit. (Well I do regret wasting $40 on it, but live and learn.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 12:00:39 PM »

Yeah, no multi.  Go figure.  As for length.  I would say it is about the exact same length as CoD.  I would agree, too short for a buy, but I rented and don't regret one penny of that rent.  Well worth it.  Like I said, nothing revolutionary, but solid enough fun inside.  If you are a WW2 buff, you really should check it out.  At least rent or buy when the price drops to $29 or less.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: