http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:44:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2 Impressions [And official GT Review]  (Read 80297 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 14, 2009, 10:57:05 PM »

W@W had a color blind option, but like most of the good improvements W@W had over COD4, IW chose not to put them in. frown

the 'jam' effect isn't for killing someone up close btw, it's for when you take damage.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 14, 2009, 10:59:05 PM »

the uniform colors are generally white vs dark though, so colorblindness shouldn't affect you too much if you go by uniforms rather than names.

the whole point of the 'jam' effect (which does look kinda stupid) is to impede your vision.  that's why it's there.  kinda funny that you wouldn't play with it because it does what it's supposed to do.  that's one of the penalties for taking damage and it reflects a lack of concentration due to pain.  it fades pretty fast though.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1242 on: December 15, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 14, 2009, 10:59:05 PM

the uniform colors are generally white vs dark though, so colorblindness shouldn't affect you too much if you go by uniforms rather than names.

the whole point of the 'jam' effect (which does look kinda stupid) is to impede your vision.  that's why it's there.  kinda funny that you wouldn't play with it because it does what it's supposed to do.  that's one of the penalties for taking damage and it reflects a lack of concentration due to pain.  it fades pretty fast though.

I agree, he really should give it a shot, I don't find it to be that much of a problem, I die just as easily when that is on the screen as when it isn't.  icon_biggrin

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: December 15, 2009, 01:05:35 AM »

Dear IW,

Please fix the matchmaking. Last night it took me 15 minutes to get into my first game due to connection and lag issues. Finally, when I did get into a game it dropped me into a Ground War Domination match, when I clearly chose Team Deathmatch. I HATE Ground War. I would never select it. Ever. As in, if someone were to hold a gun to my cat and say "Play Ground War or I put a bullet in her brain", I would have to think long and hard about it. I hate it that much. And yet, that was not the first time you tried to throw me into a GW match even though I did not choose it. You repeatedly tried to do this to me all weekend. Stop it.

Thanks,
JayDee
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 15, 2009, 01:45:02 AM »

Quote from: Butterknife on December 14, 2009, 10:45:13 PM

The blood smear on the screen is objectionable to me because 1) I think it looks dumb and 2)  It looks like it would effect your ability to see, and thus play.

As for #2, as Harkonis said it's part of the game *DESIGN*... it's meant to impede your vision when you get hit.  Just like when you get shelled near you, the audio whistles and goes in and out.  I don't see an issue with the game design.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: December 15, 2009, 02:11:43 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on December 15, 2009, 01:05:35 AM

Dear IW,

Please fix the matchmaking. Last night it took me 15 minutes to get into my first game due to connection and lag issues. Finally, when I did get into a game it dropped me into a Ground War Domination match, when I clearly chose Team Deathmatch. I HATE Ground War. I would never select it. Ever. As in, if someone were to hold a gun to my cat and say "Play Ground War or I put a bullet in her brain", I would have to think long and hard about it. I hate it that much. And yet, that was not the first time you tried to throw me into a GW match even though I did not choose it. You repeatedly tried to do this to me all weekend. Stop it.

Thanks,
JayDee

+1

Since the patch, the matchmaking has been horrific. More than once we've been dropped into PRIVATE Matches and FFA matches when we've clearly selected TDM.

What's the rumpus IW?
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: December 15, 2009, 02:30:51 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 15, 2009, 02:11:43 AM

Quote from: JayDee on December 15, 2009, 01:05:35 AM

Dear IW,

Thanks,
JayDee

+1

Since the patch, the matchmaking has been horrific. More than once we've been dropped into PRIVATE Matches and FFA matches when we've clearly selected TDM.

What's the rumpus IW?

Ditto, saw it several times today.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: December 15, 2009, 04:52:51 AM »

Looks like all of Modern Warfare 2 took a dump tonight.

Between the shottie range, the invulnerability of knives with commando, the hacked servers (we all had unlimited ammo in one match), the messed up match making and the running glitch, and now hard lock ups on consoles across users, this is without a doubt the most buggy MP experience I've ever had.

It's absurd and it might be time to take a break.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: December 15, 2009, 04:55:40 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 15, 2009, 04:52:51 AM

Looks like all of Modern Warfare 2 took a dump tonight.

Between the shottie range, the invulnerability of knives with commando, the hacked servers (we all had unlimited ammo in one match), the messed up match making and the running glitch, and now hard lock ups on consoles across users, this is without a doubt the most buggy MP experience I've ever had.

It's absurd and it might be time to take a break.
Yeah I've decided to take a break from it for a bit. Haven't felt the need to fire it up much lately due to my many frustrations with the game. Time to get back to Fable 2 and working on more of the backlog.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: December 15, 2009, 06:21:02 AM »

I looks like IW missed another glitch or introduced it with the patch and this one is much worse IMO.   You can rapid fire grenades, noob tubes, at4, and javelins and you never run out of ammo for them.

I was in a match just a bit ago and both sides were using it and it was funny as hell and it only took me about 7 deaths to figure it out on my own how to do it.

Edit:  Oh yeah it also works on the AC130 for the big cannon and the thumper.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:25:27 AM by Owain » Logged
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: December 15, 2009, 06:42:40 AM »

Well upon further research it seems that it is a PC mod that people have found out a way to make it work on xbox live through save files and such and is done through private matches.  It seems the game threw me into one without me noticing. 

I guess it won't be so bad then but it was funny.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1251 on: December 15, 2009, 01:21:02 PM »

Quote from: Owain on December 15, 2009, 06:21:02 AM

I looks like IW missed another glitch or introduced it with the patch and this one is much worse IMO.   You can rapid fire grenades, noob tubes, at4, and javelins and you never run out of ammo for them.

I was in a match just a bit ago and both sides were using it and it was funny as hell and it only took me about 7 deaths to figure it out on my own how to do it.

I think Harkonis posted some You Tube videos of it a few pages ago.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: December 15, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »

Quote from: Owain on December 15, 2009, 06:42:40 AM

Well upon further research it seems that it is a PC mod that people have found out a way to make it work on xbox live through save files and such and is done through private matches.  It seems the game threw me into one without me noticing. 

I guess it won't be so bad then but it was funny.
According to kotaku (maybe? dunno) it can stick with you until you reboot.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: December 15, 2009, 02:04:01 PM »

Quote from: Owain on December 15, 2009, 06:21:02 AM

As it stands currently, IMO the game is not worth playing. They fixed the javelin glitch and introduced multiple times as many. I'll either pick up Borderlands and start my second class playthrough, or else find a copy of Batman and get going with that. I was having a LOT of fun with MW2, but these glitches just about make the game miserable for anyone who expects a reasonable gameplay experience.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: December 15, 2009, 02:13:16 PM »

Last night was a mess. I was playing a Domination game and our team was about 15 points away from winning. I had just got the Harrier and was going to launch it when suddenly the host drops and the game goes into one of those "finding new hosts" routine. Of course, it fails and we are dropped back to the lobby, so I don't get my bonus XP points for the win we were about to have. Suddenly I'm kicked from the lobby into a new lobby with two "Matched Players" and that's it.

So I back out of this lobby and search for a new Domination game. I end up in FFA on Rust. I back out and search again. Finally I get into a lobby for what looks like a regular Domination game on Favela (there were only 12 slots of players available) and off we go. Halfway through the game I am noticing that there seems to be a LOT of people in the map. I hit Back to look at the standings and there are now 18 people in the game. Somehow the game morphed into a Ground War game.

I finish up that game and back out. I then tried for 10 minutes to get into a new Domination game. Every single attempt was met with two results. Either I would get into a game already in progress but I would get the "No connection" symbol where it would freeze and then throw me into the lobby, then immediately try to reconnect again to the game, only to freeze on the loading screen. If this didn't happen I would get put into a Ground War game (usually in progress so I had to wait for it to load and then back out).

This, along with the new glitches have made the game an absolute mess. Don't they test these things before they go live?
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1255 on: December 15, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on December 15, 2009, 02:13:16 PM

Last night was a mess. I was playing a Domination game and our team was about 15 points away from winning. I had just got the Harrier and was going to launch it when suddenly the host drops and the game goes into one of those "finding new hosts" routine. Of course, it fails and we are dropped back to the lobby, so I don't get my bonus XP points for the win we were about to have. Suddenly I'm kicked from the lobby into a new lobby with two "Matched Players" and that's it.

So I back out of this lobby and search for a new Domination game. I end up in FFA on Rust. I back out and search again. Finally I get into a lobby for what looks like a regular Domination game on Favela (there were only 12 slots of players available) and off we go. Halfway through the game I am noticing that there seems to be a LOT of people in the map. I hit Back to look at the standings and there are now 18 people in the game. Somehow the game morphed into a Ground War game.

I finish up that game and back out. I then tried for 10 minutes to get into a new Domination game. Every single attempt was met with two results. Either I would get into a game already in progress but I would get the "No connection" symbol where it would freeze and then throw me into the lobby, then immediately try to reconnect again to the game, only to freeze on the loading screen. If this didn't happen I would get put into a Ground War game (usually in progress so I had to wait for it to load and then back out).

This, along with the new glitches have made the game an absolute mess. Don't they test these things before they go live?

This is just opinion, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.......I think Infinity Ward got a bit lazy with this game, which can happen when a company/team/person, has a tremendous amount of success. Like you, I think the game is glitchy, I think the matchmaking is a joke, the netcode is maybe not as good as it should be, and a lot of the "kits" and perks are extremely unbalanced and susceptible to exploiting and cheesing (Akimbo 1887's anyone?). I think they knew the game was going to be a massive success, and as such, they maybe didn't fine tune the game like they did on CoD 4.

I hate to say all of that because the game still is outstanding.....when everything and everyone cooperates and plays fairly, but it's not as good as CoD 4, in most way, and even falls behind CoD: W@W in many respects. Multiplayer is just an unpolished mess, full of exploiters and people taking advantage of things that IW should have seen coming. They just made some head scratchingly poor decisions and now, we seem to be stuck with it.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: December 15, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »

In the same vein jblank, there's absolutely no excuse for them to nerf the stat tracking the way they did.  W@W wasn't superb but it was super far ahead of what we have now.  No website? Not even the better basic stats that W@W offered IN GAME?

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1257 on: December 15, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 15, 2009, 03:17:35 PM

In the same vein jblank, there's absolutely no excuse for them to nerf the stat tracking the way they did.  W@W wasn't superb but it was super far ahead of what we have now.  No website? Not even the better basic stats that W@W offered IN GAME?

You'll get no argument on this end Lettuce. The game isn't "shit" by any means, but if you know millions of people will drop 60 bones for a shit sandwich, what is the incentive to work hard on improving the game or adding things to it?

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: December 15, 2009, 03:35:37 PM »

I agree. The game is flat-out awesome when everything works as intended. The problem is that things are working as intended less and less often as time goes on.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: December 15, 2009, 03:38:16 PM »

I find it funny that they included a login code with every copy and that the web site has a box for that login "coming soon". I wonder if it is literally just a place holder in case they decide to do something or if they have actually done some work on it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1260 on: December 15, 2009, 04:13:11 PM »

Apologies if you guys have read this already:

http://kotaku.com/5426605/modern-warfare-2-on-360-busted-ammo-in-plentiful-supply-%5Bupdate%5D

Now, I'm no scientist. Or console engineer. I don't know how this is happening. All I know is, there are increasing numbers of people playing Modern Warfare 2 on 360 saying the game's ammo counters are all busted up.

Essentially, we're hearing that people are joining MP matches, then finding that there are no ammo counters. It's unlimited ammo. On all weapons. Here's one forum post highlighting the issue, but hit the internet, you'll find dozens more. And some videos. Like these ones.

Like I said, I don't know how this is happening, but word on the street is that it's an exploit - created by modders - that can be "passed" around anyone and everyone who plays against them, as it sticks in their 360's cache. Only, instead of corrupting data, it blows up MW2 maps.

To get rid of the glitch, you'll have to disconnect from Live and reboot your 360.

I'd post more videos, but it seems every single one has awful cheese-metal/pop-rap playing over the top, so I'll spare you the torment. These ones should suffice for now.

Soon as we hear from Activision, Infinity Ward or Microsoft - or find out how extensive this glitch is, or how it's happening - we'll update you. In the meantime, any of you guys run into this? If so, fire off in the comments section, let us know how it went down.

UPDATE - Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling says "It's being addressed" and that "it'll be eliminated soon enough". Far from a concrete timeline for an update, but at least it shows IW are aware of the problem and are looking into it.

Eliminated soon enough? Not good enough, in my opinion.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »

Quote from: jblank on December 15, 2009, 04:13:11 PM

http://kotaku.com/5426605/modern-warfare-2-on-360-busted-ammo-in-plentiful-supply-%5Bupdate%5D

Now, I'm no scientist. Or console engineer. I don't know how this is happening. All I know is, there are increasing numbers of people playing Modern Warfare 2 on 360 saying the game's ammo counters are all busted up.

Essentially, we're hearing that people are joining MP matches, then finding that there are no ammo counters. It's unlimited ammo. On all weapons. Here's one forum post highlighting the issue, but hit the internet, you'll find dozens more. And some videos. Like these ones.

Like I said, I don't know how this is happening, but word on the street is that it's an exploit - created by modders - that can be "passed" around anyone and everyone who plays against them, as it sticks in their 360's cache. Only, instead of corrupting data, it blows up MW2 maps.

To get rid of the glitch, you'll have to disconnect from Live and reboot your 360.

I'd post more videos, but it seems every single one has awful cheese-metal/pop-rap playing over the top, so I'll spare you the torment. These ones should suffice for now.

Soon as we hear from Activision, Infinity Ward or Microsoft - or find out how extensive this glitch is, or how it's happening - we'll update you. In the meantime, any of you guys run into this? If so, fire off in the comments section, let us know how it went down.

UPDATE - Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling says "It's being addressed" and that "it'll be eliminated soon enough". Far from a concrete timeline for an update, but at least it shows IW are aware of the problem and are looking into it.

No doubt. What an arrogant ass  thumbsdown
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: December 15, 2009, 04:55:51 PM »

Grrrreat - if this is to be believed / vetted in any way does this mean that a future exploitation including viri and their ilk can move to our home networks etc etc if we are using the media extender option? Not trying to be a fear monger by any means - but even to read/suggest that this is a 'possibility' is very dis-heartening.  crybaby

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: December 15, 2009, 04:59:29 PM »

Simply, no.  Media extender is just an RDP session (like remote desktop, terminal services, etc) to your media center machine.  There's no transmission path for a virus.  Not that this IW thing is a virus anyway. slywink
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: December 15, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »

I've had a couple of issues with the MP connection issues, but I've only been dropped into a glitched match once, and I had zero issues playing last night.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: December 15, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 15, 2009, 04:16:33 PM

Quote from: jblank on December 15, 2009, 04:13:11 PM

No doubt. What an arrogant ass  thumbsdown

I couldn't agree more. The bigger issue is that as this information continues to spread, it's only going to become more prevalent in matchmaking games until it's fixed. What's IW going to do - ban 2 million xbox live accounts? I really wish IW would get knocked for this somehow, but they've got our money in their hands now and that's what is important to them!

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: December 15, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure going through all of the relevant code to find EXACTLY what's triggering all of the issues takes more effort than waving a magic wand and saying "repair my code"!

Have some bloody patience.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: December 15, 2009, 06:18:45 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on December 15, 2009, 06:09:52 PM

I'm pretty sure going through all of the relevant code to find EXACTLY what's triggering all of the issues takes more effort than waving a magic wand and saying "repair my code"!

Or say "oops, this is worse than the javelin glitch so we are resetting the game back to it's original version while we fix our patch". That can be done in a matter of days. I'd rather live with the javelin glitch a bit longer since I don't think was as prevalent as what's going on now.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: December 15, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »

What's going on now may not having anything to do with the fix for the javelin glitch.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: December 15, 2009, 06:41:37 PM »

I've got patience, merely stating my frustration. I realize that fixing a line of code isn't going to fix all the issues. I'd be happy with a statement from IW saying they were actively investigating and working on a fix. As it stands now, I haven't heard anything about it from them... there isn't anything posted on the MW2 page.

And yes, it's quite possible the javelin glitch fix has absolutely nothing to do with the current state of the game.

X360 - Nonnahob

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: December 15, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on December 15, 2009, 06:18:45 PM

Or say "oops, this is worse than the javelin glitch so we are resetting the game back to it's original version while we fix our patch". That can be done in a matter of days. I'd rather live with the javelin glitch a bit longer since I don't think was as prevalent as what's going on now.

this isn't something that was introduced with the javelin fix, this is a game issue that just wasn't being used until recently.  the modding community was working on this hack long before the jav glitch was even found.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: December 15, 2009, 08:10:29 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on December 15, 2009, 06:41:37 PM

I've got patience, merely stating my frustration. I realize that fixing a line of code isn't going to fix all the issues. I'd be happy with a statement from IW saying they were actively investigating and working on a fix. As it stands now, I haven't heard anything about it from them... there isn't anything posted on the MW2 page.

And yes, it's quite possible the javelin glitch fix has absolutely nothing to do with the current state of the game.

there has been a statement from IW, you're just looking in the wrong place.  for some strange reason they have decided that they are using 402's twitter for all official communication instead of the webpage. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: December 16, 2009, 03:46:16 AM »

: Preparing an in depth #MW2 Status Report for players to stay aware of what we're addressing & how it's progressing. Lots of updates in works

I wonder if it'll hit before christmas crash time.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: December 16, 2009, 01:33:32 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 16, 2009, 03:46:16 AM

: Preparing an in depth #MW2 Status Report for players to stay aware of what we're addressing & how it's progressing. Lots of updates in works

I wonder if it'll hit before christmas crash time.

Ran into one match in which they dumped us into a private room out of the whole night of playing. That was most excellent. Also, noticed no unlimited ammo abusers. I don't know if that was coincidence or if they fixed it... I heard a few people talking about an update, but I never got prompted for one when I booted up.

X360 - Nonnahob

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: December 16, 2009, 02:19:24 PM »

I ran into a lot of bugs last night.

Unlimited ammo. private rooms. Match type switching. Inability to connect to friend's parties. Rooms not filling properly. Server crashes. Etc.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: December 16, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »

I've found that I have a lot more success lately just joining TDM by myself.  It seems a lot of the issues are more prevalent when in groups/parties.

I played TDM for about 3 hours yesterday and it was completely glitch free. 

Stock

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 16, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »

I believe the answer is yes, but do the prestige challenges carry over from one prestige to the next?

For example there's get 2500 kills with the Scar. I'm at about 1600, but am tired of the gun. Will my 1600 stay when I prestige or does it reset like every other challenge?  I'd rather put the scar away for a while, but not if I'm only 900 from the goal...
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 16, 2009, 03:34:53 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 16, 2009, 02:19:24 PM

I ran into a lot of bugs last night.

Unlimited ammo. private rooms. Match type switching. Inability to connect to friend's parties. Rooms not filling properly. Server crashes. Etc.

It took 15 minutes for me and my buddy to get into a game together. It sat in the "Trying to merge lobbies" page for a good 5 minutes, and then it would boot us out and we'd have to start over again. We finally got into a game full of double 1887 shotgun jerkweeds, but we dared not back out for fear of not getting into another game.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 16, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on December 16, 2009, 03:17:11 PM

I've found that I have a lot more success lately just joining TDM by myself.  It seems a lot of the issues are more prevalent when in groups/parties.

I played TDM for about 3 hours yesterday and it was completely glitch free. 

Stock

the matchmaking issues in both cod4 and W@W didn't affect you if you always play by yourself so non-team players tend to not run into the glitches slywink

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 16, 2009, 04:08:39 PM »

Just trying to get into games by myself last night and the night before I had the game-type switching bug, was dropped into private matches several times and one where there was no indication that the match was private but it was a Domination game where there was no score.  So the game just went on and on.  People kept commenting on the fact there was no score and quitting but more people would get dropped in and complain about the same thing.  It was bizarre. 

One game didn't seem lagged but something strange was going on with the noob tube.  I was defending a flag and lobbed a grenade on a guy at the flag and the shell just seemed to disappear.  I lobbed my second and the same thing happened.  He turned and shot me.  On the kill cam, you could see the trail of the shell arcing in but no impact.

I would guess that as more college kids get home for break, the network issues will get worse.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: