http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 11:52:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2 Impressions [And official GT Review]  (Read 78246 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 27, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on November 26, 2009, 02:23:12 PM

Loving the M4 as usual, really like the new kill streaks although the turret seems to be fairly meh.

Give it more time.  I may be in the minority here (not really sure), but I've used the Sentry Gun with great success.  It is especially useful on smaller maps, and I have used it numerous times to get me to my 11 Kill Killstreak (4-6 kills with it), either the Chopper Gunner or the AC-130. 

It is by no means my favorite, and I probably use the Harrier Strike in its place more often then not.  It can shred the other team though.

Go Gunners...
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 27, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »

I've never had a night like last night.

As I was going to Target to get a few items for BF, I made plans not to go to bed as I was going to play to 4 anyway and Target opened at 5.

Anyway, the first few hours I was on, my teammates and I were absolutely unstoppable. We did not lose a match and I had my longest winstreak ever (25- not sure of how many may have happened before last night) and we did not lose for HOURS. I pushed my K/D to its highest level yet (1.56) and all was well.

Then, collectively, we lost it. And when I say lost it, I mean LOST IT. We lost and lost and lost and lost and lost and lost.  We almost all were dying 2x more than killing. It was unbelievable.  My K/D settled back into where it was when the night began (1.54).

The turning point seemed to come after we lost 2 matches in a row and before leaving the room we decided we HAD to beat this team.  At one point we were up 11 (15 depending upon who you ask) and I said 'Don't look now, but we're up by 11!'  Of course everyone goes 'Noooo! We're doomed'. Well, we lost that match and then like the next 6.

It was so weird.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #802 on: November 27, 2009, 05:07:06 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 27, 2009, 03:55:19 PM

I've never had a night like last night.

As I was going to Target to get a few items for BF, I made plans not to go to bed as I was going to play to 4 anyway and Target opened at 5.

Anyway, the first few hours I was on, my teammates and I were absolutely unstoppable. We did not lose a match and I had my longest winstreak ever (25- not sure of how many may have happened before last night) and we did not lose for HOURS. I pushed my K/D to its highest level yet (1.56) and all was well.

Then, collectively, we lost it. And when I say lost it, I mean LOST IT. We lost and lost and lost and lost and lost and lost.  We almost all were dying 2x more than killing. It was unbelievable.  My K/D settled back into where it was when the night began (1.54).

The turning point seemed to come after we lost 2 matches in a row and before leaving the room we decided we HAD to beat this team.  At one point we were up 11 (15 depending upon who you ask) and I said 'Don't look now, but we're up by 11!'  Of course everyone goes 'Noooo! We're doomed'. Well, we lost that match and then like the next 6.

It was so weird.

I believe I was on that other team, just as your evening started to turn around.  (Granted, I was just padding your score totals for the most part.  I was trying out a sprinting knife build.)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 29, 2009, 01:54:36 AM »

Finished the SP tonight.

I had no idea what was going on with certain points until I read KG's write up that he summarized from another forum.

I thought the ending was very cool. 

It seemed like there was too much jumping around in this one...not sure if there was more than 4, but it seemed like it.

Also as others have stated...there should have been a few more levels to suss out the story.

Overall, B for the campaign.  A+ for MP A+ Spec Ops. Game gets an overall A.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 29, 2009, 06:12:35 AM »

Am I alone in intensely disliking Favela? It's a well-designed map, with lots of perches and routes, yet I absolutely hate playing on it.  I spend more time dying there than any three other maps combined.  I just bailed on a sabotage round there because I just never saw it ending.  We passed the bomb back and forth forever, with the carrying side getting slaughtered after moving it halfway across the maps.  I've never enjoyed a single round of anything that I've played there.  Is that one of the better-liked maps, or does everyone else feel the same? I'm seriously considering just bailing on any round where that map comes up.  Too bad it seems to come up so often.

In better news, I had an awesome round of domination on Terminal.  We spawned in the downstairs area and charged for C, except they met us there and took us down.  I respawned and helped take B, then noticed that C was still uncontrolled.  I died and respawned with my shield/knife kit and headed for C.  By then they'd taken it, and I kept going for it, waiting for my teammates to figure out that charging ahead of the riot shield guy was dumb.  Finally, we took it, and I proceeded to make it my house.  I just hung out there holding them off.  Whenever I'd get killed, I'd head back, retake it if needed, and sometimes surprise them with a throwing knife.  Once, I had no less than four of them unloading at me. 

Unfortunately, I wound up second to last on points, because I wasn't actually killing them or taking points, but my team had C for most of the match entirely because of me.  Too bad that wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.  frown

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 29, 2009, 02:55:27 PM »

I struggled with Favela until I learned the map, specifically the rooftops. It's one of my favorite maps now. I don't always succeed on the map, but I understand now where people are when I die and how they are able to kill me, which takes a lot of the frustration out.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 29, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »

My three favourite maps are Karachi, Estate, and Favela. I get my best scores on these maps.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 29, 2009, 03:36:48 PM »

I hate highrise and Underpass more.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 29, 2009, 03:41:15 PM »

I despise Underpass. I really struggle with rainy maps to see bad guys at a distance. I'm learning to stick to one side of the map, where the B flag is on Domination, and the back side heading to the A flag. I can normally get a couple different kill streaks on this map now that I'm staying there, but overall I just struggle. It also doesn't help that I am terrible with the thermal scope.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 29, 2009, 04:29:14 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 29, 2009, 03:36:48 PM

I hate highrise and Underpass more.

Yea I hate Underpass too have a hell of a time seeing.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: November 29, 2009, 05:04:50 PM »

If you're like me and don't have the skill to run and gun I find that the best way to do well in Domination is to pick a primary flag to defend and a secondary flag to go to if your primary isn't seeing any action.

For example, I used to struggle with Quarry. So what I did as take tactical insertion as part of my kit and drop it behind the buildings near flag C. There are two main ways to access this flag so I run back and forth to each one, picking people off as they come up. People very seldomly check the area behind the buildings when they try to capture the flag so I can usually jump out and shoot him in the back. If they manage to kill me I have the advantage of knowing where they are and respawning at my tactical insertion so I usually get them back before they know what hit them.

If I find that there is no action at C, I gave a path I take that brings me to a location that overlooks B and I'll defend that for a while. If I hear that C is u der attack I'll get myself back there and defend.

I use a similar strategy on each map. There are a couple, like Skidrow, that are a log more difficult to do this. Estate is awesome if you can get to the house and drop a tactical in the bathroom. Nothing more fun than getting killed by an invading group trying to take A and then respawning in the bathroom and picking them off from behind enemy lines.

The rooftop by C on Favela lets you defend C and still have a great view of the rest of the map. On Karachi the rooftop by C lets you defend it as well as letting you jump to another rooftop that overlooks B.

My worst rounds are the ones where the other teams do a good job if defending these spots. If I'm forced to run and gun I'm out if my comfort zone and usually do very poorly.

EDIT: I wrote this on my iTouch so please excuse the typos.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:09:48 PM by JayDee » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 29, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »

I don't mind any of the maps. I feel that I should be able to adjust my tactics to match the map, not select a map to support my tactics.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 29, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »

I have maxed out the SCAR. Any recommendations for a fully auto assault rifle that isn't a significant downgrade to the SCAR that I can start upgrading?

I would use the M16 but I don't really like the burst fire guns.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 29, 2009, 05:20:30 PM »

I'm having a really hard time switching from burst fire to full auto.  From almost the get-go, I've been using the FAMAS as my regular gun, and just finally got the ACOG for it.  Last night, I wanted to try something new, so I switched to (I think) the TAR.  Had a bitch of a time training myself to just hold the trigger to get more rounds into the target.  I can see going through a lot more ammo with that gun.

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 29, 2009, 05:53:09 PM »

Wednesday any most of Thursday (when I played) I was doing "ok".  Most of my deaths came from me not being able to see anything due to the Xbox having issues.  The graphics kept tearing, like when a video card on a pc is overheating.  I knew it wasn't long before the red showed up.  Sure enough, Thursday night we try to watch a movie and there it is. E74.  So I go to the UPS store Friday to send it off, and they are closed on the day after Thanksgiving :/  Needless to say, I'm submitting my console for the MW2 purple heart.

Just a little hiccup.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 29, 2009, 06:40:52 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 29, 2009, 05:16:22 PM

I have maxed out the SCAR. Any recommendations for a fully auto assault rifle that isn't a significant downgrade to the SCAR that I can start upgrading?

Do you have the ACR unlocked?  It does a bit less damage but it has a higher fire rate and an insanely tight spray pattern.  You can pretty much fire it continuously full auto and have every bullet stay near your crosshairs.

In my brief time with the AK-47 it seemed even more similar to the SCAR, so give that a try too if you have it unlocked.

Quote from: Chaz on November 29, 2009, 05:20:30 PM

I'm having a really hard time switching from burst fire to full auto.  From almost the get-go, I've been using the FAMAS as my regular gun, and just finally got the ACOG for it.  Last night, I wanted to try something new, so I switched to (I think) the TAR.  Had a bitch of a time training myself to just hold the trigger to get more rounds into the target.  I can see going through a lot more ammo with that gun.
If you're used to the FAMAS the TAR-21 might be a tough change.  It seemed to be one of the least accurate assault rifles, though I guess it has higher damage.  I hear it's really popular in hardcore mode since it's a one hit kill and the huge spray'n'pray spread helps ensure that no matter how far off your aim is you'll probably nick your target with at least one bullet.

I'd recommend either the M16, which is almost identical to the FAMAS, or the ACR, which is full auto but with low kick like the burst-fire rifles.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 29, 2009, 06:56:26 PM »

I'm only lvl 23, so I definitely don't have the M16 yet, but I may have the ACR.  I didn't to terribly with the TAR.  I managed to unlock the noob toob within my first match with it, and almost had the red dot after the second, which is insanely fast leveling for me.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 29, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »

I recommend the ACR highly.

I too hated Favela at the start, now it's one of my favorites.  Just SO much going on there.

And when you get to 70, the AK-47 is hellah awesome. It's a shame you only get to use it one level before you prestige.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 29, 2009, 08:35:41 PM »

Can someone explain to my how scoring works as I still don't get it.

A few nights ago I was a in a room with wonderpug and he had several thousand points fewer than me, but he was like 15 levels ahead of me.  What the dilio?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 29, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 29, 2009, 08:35:41 PM

A few nights ago I was a in a room with wonderpug and he had several thousand points fewer than me, but he was like 15 levels ahead of me.  What the dilio?

I think score is just score that contributes to winning a game. Everything else is just xp. Since you level up with xp, you can be a higher level while accumulating less score by doing lots of challenges while someone else just sticks with the same gun.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 29, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »

I would say try the ACR the accuracy is insane I sometimes manage to kill people half way across the map the damage is a little less than the SCAR though.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 29, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 29, 2009, 08:51:56 PM

A few nights ago I was a in a room with wonderpug and he had several thousand points fewer than me, but he was like 15 levels ahead of me.  What the dilio?

I think score is just score that contributes to winning a game. Everything else is just xp. Since you level up with xp, you can be a higher level while accumulating less score by doing lots of challenges while someone else just sticks with the same gun.

How do you know how much XP you're getting?  Aren't XP and score the same?  If no, which is which?
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10:58 PM »

Tar-21 or ACR.

As for maps, I really like the smaller ones especially on Domination... Scrapyard, Highrise, Terminal, Sub Base.  It's too bad they don't have Rust in the rotation for Ground War.

I love Domination in Ground War, cause there are more targets to noob tube around the flags.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 29, 2009, 11:29:59 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 29, 2009, 11:10:58 PM

Tar-21 or ACR.

The TAR is very inaccurate over distance.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 29, 2009, 11:52:34 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 29, 2009, 11:29:59 PM

Tar-21 or ACR.

Yeah, but if he's maxed out the SCAR, the TAR-21 is the next fully auto assault rifle I would use to get experience from challenges.  He probably doesn't have the ACR unlocked yet.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: November 29, 2009, 11:54:36 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 29, 2009, 10:09:49 PM

How do you know how much XP you're getting?  Aren't XP and score the same?  If no, which is which?

No score and xp are definitely different.  For example, you get 100 score for a kill in tdm and 300 xp for shooting down the harrier.  Shooting down the harrier helps you level up, but it makes no contribution to your team winning the match.  There are some things that I think do actually count as score even though they don't count toward winning the game, such as assists. When you finish a game, you can page through all the info. One page shows the score for everyone in the match. Another page shows your xp gained from the match, separated out into match xp, bonus xp (the extra you get at the end of the match) and challenge xp. You can see your xp for your current prestige in the barracks. I'm not sure if it tracks lifetime xp if you prestige.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 29, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 29, 2009, 11:29:59 PM

Tar-21 or ACR.

any distance over 2 ft
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 30, 2009, 01:07:44 AM »

I love the ACR.  It's definitely my weapon of choice.

Go Gunners...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 30, 2009, 01:29:23 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 29, 2009, 11:54:36 PM

How do you know how much XP you're getting?  Aren't XP and score the same?  If no, which is which?

No score and xp are definitely different.  For example, you get 100 score for a kill in tdm and 300 xp for shooting down the harrier.  Shooting down the harrier helps you level up, but it makes no contribution to your team winning the match.  There are some things that I think do actually count as score even though they don't count toward winning the game, such as assists. When you finish a game, you can page through all the info. One page shows the score for everyone in the match. Another page shows your xp gained from the match, separated out into match xp, bonus xp (the extra you get at the end of the match) and challenge xp. You can see your xp for your current prestige in the barracks. I'm not sure if it tracks lifetime xp if you prestige.

So which one shows up as score on the leaderboards?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 30, 2009, 02:09:33 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 30, 2009, 01:29:23 AM

Quote from: Teggy on November 29, 2009, 11:54:36 PM

So which one shows up as score on the leaderboards?

Score. You get 20+ kills per round so you have a high score. Pug has been leveling his weapons so he has a higher rank (he probably may have more playtime too).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:13:47 AM by Teggy » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 30, 2009, 02:59:52 AM »

not shooting down killstreaks is why you have lower rank than pug

be a team player!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 30, 2009, 03:39:27 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 30, 2009, 02:59:52 AM

not shooting down killstreaks is why you have lower rank than pug

be a team player!

Hey!  I UAV!!!!!  slywink
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 30, 2009, 02:26:28 PM »

I take back every bad thing I've ever said about burst fire assault rifles. The M16 is f*cking amazing. Had my best night ever last night using it for the first time. It just rips people to shreds (usually 2 bursts and they're dead).
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: November 30, 2009, 02:38:16 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 30, 2009, 02:26:28 PM

I take back every bad thing I've ever said about burst fire assault rifles. The M16 is f*cking amazing. Had my best night ever last night using it for the first time. It just rips people to shreds (usually 2 bursts and they're dead).

If you put on stopping power it's usually one burst.  If you are using stopping power and it takes two....try aiming for center mass. 99/100 it'll kill them unless they have painkiller.

Careful on maps without medium to long sight lines though....the m16 is NO good in a close up battle (but for whatever reason the FAMAS seems to do pretty well).
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: November 30, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 30, 2009, 02:38:16 PM

Quote from: JayDee on November 30, 2009, 02:26:28 PM

If you put on stopping power it's usually one burst.  If you are using stopping power and it takes two....try aiming for center mass. 99/100 it'll kill them unless they have painkiller.

Careful on maps without medium to long sight lines though....the m16 is NO good in a close up battle (but for whatever reason the FAMAS seems to do pretty well).

That would explain why I had a 3:1 k/d on Wasteland but then went 5-17 on Skidrow (my least favourite map). Thanks for the tip!
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: November 30, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »

Bah, why are all the good perks lumped in with cold-blooded? Cold-blooded is invaluable to me, but I really like Stopping Power and Hardline. Perk 3 has a bunch of stuff I don't really care about besides Ninja. Commando is kind of neat and I'll probably swap out Ninja for that as I don't see a lot of people using heartbeat sensors anymore.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 30, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »

Commando makes me want to cry sometimes, I feel like anyone close enough to use commando is invincible. You can shoot them as they're sprinting into you and it makes no difference. Lightweight + Marathon = ridiculous on small maps. Throw in some dual 1887's and a tactical knife and you will destroy people.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: November 30, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on November 30, 2009, 04:07:52 PM

Commando makes me want to cry sometimes, I feel like anyone close enough to use commando is invincible. You can shoot them as they're sprinting into you and it makes no difference. Lightweight + Marathon = ridiculous on small maps. Throw in some dual 1887's and a tactical knife and you will destroy people.

That's what is great about this game.  So many choices on how to play and class setups.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 30, 2009, 07:38:08 PM »

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: November 30, 2009, 08:05:39 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 30, 2009, 05:46:43 PM

That's what is great about this game.  So many choices on how to play and class setups.

Pretty soon everyone will use this set up:

Primary: Anything (glitchers will use Airdrop Grenade)
Secondary: Any pistol with tactical knife
Perk1: Marathon
Perk2: Lightweight
Perk3: Commando

Punctuated by the occasional akimbo shotguns.  Then everyone will move to Battlefield Bad Company 2.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: