http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 02:59:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2 Impressions [And official GT Review]  (Read 79255 times)
msteelers
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 18, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 18, 2009, 03:32:39 PM

BTW, I forgot to post this  ninja

So you're saying Hark should be the one changing his name to Teggy Jr?  icon_twisted

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 18, 2009, 03:36:39 PM »

Cool, so what does it mean when the vision changes?  I believe it is LB that I pressed and the vision changed and made it look like I was looking through the slit. 
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 18, 2009, 03:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on November 18, 2009, 03:36:39 PM

Cool, so what does it mean when the vision changes?  I believe it is LB that I pressed and the vision changed and made it look like I was looking through the slit. 

I think you are talking about the Blast shield not the Riot shield.  The Riot shield is a primary weapon.  The Blast shield takes an equipment slot, like grenades do.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 18, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »

Blast shield takes the grenade slot, is toggled with the bumper, and reduces damage from explosions, and only explosions.

Riot shield takes your primary weapon slot and is what everyone else is talking about. smile
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 18, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »

I managed to get lucky and snag a copy at Blockbuster, possibly because they had around 20+.  I loved the single-player campaign in the first one, and so far the sequel is every bit as good. There's no way it's worth the full purchase price for me, I just don't get into the multiplayer.  It's pretty typical as I never really got the multi in the first one, WaW, Halo3, etc.  I've tried them all, and none have held my interest.  I tried Halo multi for a week or two, after that it stopped being fun and was back to the same boring ass shit over and over again. I think what keeps people coming back are the customization options, ranking up to show off that e-peen, and the numerous unlocks you can get. But it's all still wrapped around game play that I guess I just do not get: Face off against other team, kill them or get objective first, they kill you or get objective first, spend your e-peen points, change map, level your chosen class to max, choose another, rinse and repeat.

The only time I've really had fun playing multi is with people I either know personally or from a gaming forum.  I played several Halo 3 matches with the GT crew and it was an absolute blast.  I had a couple great pug games of Left 4 Dead that were fun as well, but it was the people playing with me that made it that way.  Most of the other matches just consisted of running through the entire level as fast as possible with no one saying a word, or a bunch of asshats saying or doing stupid shit to be funny.  I think my problem is I just don't like dealing with moronic, childish, and idiotic people that pollute the Live community.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:43:52 PM by Glycerine » Logged

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 18, 2009, 03:45:30 PM »

Oops. I forgot that there even was a blast shield.  retard

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 18, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »

Hold on, I thought you were all uber 40+ level players. Or are you all past the prestige point already?

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 18, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »

Ahh, I knew I was missing something!  No wonder I did so poorly with that setup.  Thanks!

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 18, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »

That picture is like an hour after release smile
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 18, 2009, 03:51:19 PM »

BTW, I forgot to post this  ninja

Nice.

It's amazing that those 5 kills had you almost 20k ranks ahead of me slywink.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 18, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on November 18, 2009, 03:42:07 PM

I managed to get lucky and snag a copy at Blockbuster, possibly because they had around 20+.  I loved the single-player campaign in the first one, and so far the sequel is every bit as good. There's no way it's worth the full purchase price for me, I just don't get into the multiplayer.  It's pretty typical as I never really got the multi in the first one, WaW, Halo3, etc.  I've tried them all, and none have held my interest.  I tried Halo multi for a week or two, after that it stopped being fun and was back to the same boring ass shit over and over again. I think what keeps people coming back are the customization options, ranking up to show off that e-peen, and the numerous unlocks you can get. But it's all still wrapped around game play that I guess I just do not get: Face off against other team, kill them or get objective first, they kill you or get objective first, spend your e-peen points, change map, level your chosen class to max, choose another, rinse and repeat.

The only time I've really had fun playing multi is with people I either know personally or from a gaming forum.  I played several Halo 3 matches with the GT crew and it was an absolute blast.  I had a couple great pug games of Left 4 Dead that were fun as well, but it was the people playing with me that made it that way.  Most of the other matches just consisted of running through the entire level as fast as possible with no one saying a word, or a bunch of asshats saying or doing stupid shit to be funny.  I think my problem is I just don't like dealing with moronic, childish, and idiotic people that pollute the Live community.

I'm the same way. It definitely helps to play with a mature group of regulars. Anything other than that, 'mute' is your best friend. I wasn't really into MP of the first game, but I'm getting my feet wet with this and getting punished repeatedly, but it has it's fun moments.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 18, 2009, 03:56:49 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on November 18, 2009, 03:50:52 PM

That picture is like an hour after release smile

Yeah, it's just a joke. I was saying prior to release how my greatest accomplishment would be to be ranked higher than Hark for just one moment in time, and here it is smile  I even have a better k/d biggrin
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:58:21 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 18, 2009, 03:59:33 PM »

Has anyone tested the blast shield's effectiveness vs a predator missile?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 18, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 18, 2009, 03:59:33 PM

Has anyone tested the blast shield's effectiveness vs a predator missile?

yes, and it cant be recommended. Although I've yet to try it ingame though...

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 18, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 18, 2009, 01:49:25 PM

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2009, 01:28:51 PM

I usually do mercenary.  Last night, I was doing TDM express because I hate the long wait between matches.

From a gameplay perspective, there's no reason if you're solo to go into regular TDM or express (other than like you said you don't want to wait as long). It's unpossible for a bunch of randoms to do well against a team- or even a pair- that works together.

I know when I'm alone, I use Mercenary Team Death Match TM by Infinity Ward!  thumbsup thumbsup

Also, I know it has only been a week, but it's time for a map pack  icon_cool

sadly this design means that if you have 5 people and want to play TDM, you are unlikely to ever get the 6th player since any singles are probably in Merc.

edit:  I've survived a Pred strike with blast shield, but I've also died to it so it probably depends on how close to the blast you are.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 18, 2009, 05:15:21 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 18, 2009, 02:52:29 PM

I'm curious why people play team DM over free for all.  It seems like you can level faster when you can shoot anything that moves.  Am I wrong on that? 

if it was just about levelling speed, I'd be playing one of the objective maps like HQ or Domination or possibly SnD.  FFA has the slowest levelling overall.

I get a lot more kills and have a much more enjoyable experience when I have others watching my back. 

In addition some of us play with friends Tongue
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 18, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »

heh, check my k/d in that pic O_o
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 18, 2009, 05:27:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 18, 2009, 05:17:48 PM

heh, check my k/d in that pic O_o

Check out mine...I should have quit while I was ahead.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 18, 2009, 05:59:06 PM »

I would guess that 80% of my friends list is under 1.0 K/D (including me.  paranoid)

It seems like it should be roughly a 50/50 split.

Who is getting all these kills?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 18, 2009, 06:32:36 PM »

I'm still sitting around a .5.  Though lately I'm having more games around or better than 1.0.  Like I just had a TDM game where I went 20/8.  Of course, that was 200 points shy of the #1 spot...again.  The really frustrating part was that I dropped a care package that was a manned heli (which I've never gotten to do), and I got ganked as I was opening it, my teammate managed to get it, ended the match using it, and got enough kills to nudge him ahead of me.   icon_mad

Now that I'm actually managing to compete in TDM, that challenge is going to haunt me until I get it.  At least I've got bling opened up now, so I can actually do the silencer/launcher combo.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 18, 2009, 06:54:27 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 18, 2009, 05:59:06 PM

I would guess that 80% of my friends list is under 1.0 K/D (including me.  paranoid)

It seems like it should be roughly a 50/50 split.

Who is getting all these kills?

Well it's not me slywink
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 18, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2009, 06:32:36 PM

At least I've got bling opened up now, so I can actually do the silencer/launcher combo.

??

You mean grenade launcher?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 18, 2009, 07:02:03 PM »

Yeah, silencer and grenade launcher for the gun (or maybe the holo sight), and then a heat seeker for my secondary.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 18, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2009, 06:32:36 PM

The really frustrating part was that I dropped a care package that was a manned heli (which I've never gotten to do), and I got ganked as I was opening it, my teammate managed to get it, ended the match using it, and got enough kills to nudge him ahead of me.   icon_mad

That's brutal.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 18, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »

I've gone the other way on the kill streak call ins. If anything, helicopters/harriers are underpowered now. For balancing, they should require 2 missles to bring them down.

I arrived at this opinion because of a match with the GT crew where I shot down no less than 5 aircraft....most before they could get a single kill for the person who called them in.

It makes them pretty pointless.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 18, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 18, 2009, 07:22:18 PM

I've gone the other way on the kill streak call ins. If anything, helicopters/harriers are underpowered now. For balancing, they should require 2 missles to bring them down.

I arrived at this opinion because of a match with the GT crew where I shot down no less than 5 aircraft....most before they could get a single kill for the person who called them in.

It makes them pretty pointless.

They work well in free for all though.  If someone tries to shoot one down they are cut down in seconds.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 18, 2009, 08:09:20 PM »

Do the missile launchers after the starting one kill planes in one shot? With the starting launcher, I can never one-shot anything other than UAVs.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 18, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2009, 08:09:20 PM

Do the missile launchers after the starting one kill planes in one shot? With the starting launcher, I can never one-shot anything other than UAVs.

When you get the stinger, it's pretty much one shot one killl except AC130.

I jsut played about 5 rounds. Best I did was +2.

My eyes are SO tired from looking at the tv screen....

Might be an early bed time tonight.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 18, 2009, 08:37:42 PM »

Yeah the stinger can one shot most of the stuff.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 18, 2009, 08:43:47 PM »

I went and read some of the IW forums. It's mostly crybabies who are complaining about camping and saying that they were going back to MW1 and I could feel my IQ dropping from some of the grammar. However, the one bit I will agree with is that the submachine gun class is not very useful in this game due to the map layouts. In MW1 you had maps like Wetworks, Showdown and Vacant, where I would take a sub every time because it put me at an advantage. In MW2, there are some maps like Highrise and Terminal where a sub is useful, but you can probably get along just as well, if not better, with an AR.

You can do the whole akimbo-run-around-like-mad thing, but I'm not really down with that. I hope that the map packs include some maps that are geared toward the SMGs.

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 18, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 18, 2009, 08:43:47 PM

I went and read some of the IW forums. It's mostly crybabies who are complaining about camping and saying that they were going back to MW1 and I could feel my IQ dropping from some of the grammar. However, the one bit I will agree with is that the submachine gun class is not very useful in this game due to the map layouts. In MW1 you had maps like Wetworks, Showdown and Vacant, where I would take a sub every time because it put me at an advantage. In MW2, there are some maps like Highrise and Terminal where a sub is useful, but you can probably get along just as well, if not better, with an AR.

You can do the whole akimbo-run-around-like-mad thing, but I'm not really down with that. I hope that the map packs include some maps that are geared toward the SMGs.

The only problem with SMG focused maps is the new killstreak rewards.  Imagine an AC130 on a Shipment type map.

Just a little hiccup.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 18, 2009, 08:56:16 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on November 18, 2009, 08:54:02 PM

The only problem with SMG focused maps is the new killstreak rewards.  Imagine an AC130 on a Shipment type map.

They just need to be indoor maps like Vacant. Not really an issue then.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 18, 2009, 09:12:41 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 18, 2009, 08:37:42 PM

The Pave Low, Chopper Gunner, and AC-130 deploy flares to deflect missiles. Not sure if they're just on a cooldown or if they just have a set amount they can deploy.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 18, 2009, 09:47:38 PM »

Several maps are very good for SMG's and Shotguns and I think the balance is pretty good.

Rundown, Invasion, Terminal, Highrise, Estate, Favela, Scrapyard, Sub Base, Underpass...  that's over half the maps. O_o

In addition if you fire in short bursts the SMG's are still pretty accurate at range.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 18, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 18, 2009, 09:47:38 PM

The only problem with SMG focused maps is the new killstreak rewards.  Imagine an AC130 on a Shipment type map.

Several maps are very good for SMG's and Shotguns and I think the balance is pretty good.

Rundown, Invasion, Terminal, Highrise, Estate, Favela, Scrapyard, Sub Base, Underpass...  that's over half the maps. O_o

I don't know, I've found that most of the action on a lot of those maps takes place across long distances.
Sub base - a good deal of the killing happens around the perimeter
Underpass - lots of shots across the maps from windows
Estate - lots of shots from the house out the front, side and back or vice-versa
Rundown - lot of shots from the windows
etc.

There just doesn't seem to be a map where the real majority of the action takes place at short range like in a Vacant, Showdown, Wetworks or Asylum, Courtyard and Dome in CoD5. I think there should at least be a few maps where you wouldn't even think of bringing a sniper rifle and there is a distinct advantage to bringing an SMG or shotgun instead of an assault rifle.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 18, 2009, 10:01:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 18, 2009, 09:12:41 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 18, 2009, 08:37:42 PM

The Pave Low, Chopper Gunner, and AC-130 deploy flares to deflect missiles. Not sure if they're just on a cooldown or if they just have a set amount they can deploy.

they are on cooldown
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 18, 2009, 10:02:12 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 18, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 18, 2009, 09:47:38 PM

The only problem with SMG focused maps is the new killstreak rewards.  Imagine an AC130 on a Shipment type map.

Rundown, Invasion, Terminal, Highrise, Estate, Favela, Scrapyard, Sub Base, Underpass...  that's over half the maps. O_o

I don't know, I've found that most of the action on a lot of those maps takes place across long distances.
Sub base - a good deal of the killing happens around the perimeter
Underpass - lots of shots across the maps from windows
Estate - lots of shots from the house out the front, side and back or vice-versa
Rundown - lot of shots from the windows
etc.

There just doesn't seem to be a map where the real majority of the action takes place at short range like in a Vacant, Showdown, Wetworks or Asylum, Courtyard and Dome in CoD5. I think there should at least be a few maps where you wouldn't even think of bringing a sniper rifle and there is a distinct advantage to bringing an SMG or shotgun instead of an assault rifle.

People used Sniper rifles on Vacant so I'm not sure there is such a thing.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 18, 2009, 10:04:43 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 18, 2009, 10:02:12 PM

People used Sniper rifles on Vacant so I'm not sure there is such a thing.

Yeah, well...they were just dumb.  Truthiness!

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:12 PM »

Just letting folks know that I've changed my privacy settings to Friends Only, so if you aren't on my Friends list, I can't hear you. Just too many annoying people on XBL and MW2 right now.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 18, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 18, 2009, 10:57:12 PM

Just letting folks know that I've changed my privacy settings to Friends Only, so if you aren't on my Friends list, I can't hear you. Just too many annoying people on XBL and MW2 right now.

no shit, first game i join is 4 people yelling into their mics. back the fuck out of that one quick. think i'll stick to playing at 2am when the 12 year olds aren't online
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: