http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:45:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2 Impressions [And official GT Review]  (Read 79267 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 17, 2009, 09:19:22 PM

You know, I've been thinking about deathstreaks (because I get them so often).  I like the theory, but I'm not crazy about the execution.  The ones you get early on (arguably when you need them the most) are:

Painkiller- triple health for the first ten seconds of your next life.  I don't remember the last time I encountered an enemy within the first ten seconds of being alive.  So it's nice to know it's there, but frequently goes completely to waste.

As useless as you'd think painkiller would be, I have run into people protected by it a hell of a lot of times.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 17, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »

I've lost kills of people on this forum because of Painkiller.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 17, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »

Painkiller - it screws me in Rock Band and MW2!

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 17, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »

Copycat is good when you are first starting out, and feel like people are killing you because they have better weapons and perks.

Painkiller doesn't affect me much, as I rarely take damage immediately after spawning. At least in a regular team deathmatch. I'll probably start using it whenever I'm in Ground War or Domination, since those tend to be a little frantic, and I can see it coming in handy more often than Martyrdom.

Martyrdom is exactly the same as in COD4. I use it in Team Deathmatch simply because there's a better chance of getting an extra kill if I use it instead of Copycat and Painkiller.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 17, 2009, 09:44:05 PM »

I feel like I've never gotten a kill after seeing the juggernaut icon pop up on them. Usually run out of ammo or have them run out of view before the kill. It's like a temporary full body riot shield, I swear. Only consolation is knowing that they have to suffer through 10 seconds of urine-vision while I ineffectually plink away at them.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: November 17, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 17, 2009, 09:44:05 PM

urine-vision

? You get lemon jello instead of cherry if you have painkiller on?

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 17, 2009, 10:26:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 17, 2009, 09:44:05 PM

I feel like I've never gotten a kill after seeing the juggernaut icon pop up on them.

I've had a lot of problems killing others with it but never have problems dying when I do.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 17, 2009, 10:29:13 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 17, 2009, 08:09:35 PM

Quote from: Teggy on November 17, 2009, 07:58:56 PM

Hey Hark, did you get an extra custom class at prestige? I heard rumors that you did, and also you get something extra special at level 10.

They said that you got something special at the end in MW1 and iirc, there was nothing.

the only 'they' that said you get something other than an icon in MW1 were players who started rumors slywink  You get a title, an emblem, another custom slot, another set of challenges and every weapon has two more sets of challenges.

I often run under friendly air drops on purpose screaming I got it!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 17, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 17, 2009, 10:29:13 PM

icon_lol

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 17, 2009, 11:07:15 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 17, 2009, 10:35:42 PM

icon_lol

I have a new goal in life.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 17, 2009, 11:12:29 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 17, 2009, 08:09:35 PM

Quote from: Teggy on November 17, 2009, 07:58:56 PM

Hey Hark, did you get an extra custom class at prestige? I heard rumors that you did, and also you get something extra special at level 10.

They said that you got something special at the end in MW1 and iirc, there was nothing.

the only 'they' that said you get something other than an icon in MW1 were players who started rumors slywink  You get a title, an emblem, another custom slot, another set of challenges and every weapon has two more sets of challenges.

Is that why you did it?! biggrin
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 18, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »

I hit the wall today in MW2. I was playing with a few of the group in regular TDM mode and it seemed that I was getting hammered constantly. Finally I decided to switch to Hardcore TDM and that was better, until I dropped into a group of twit adolescents. We were on the jungle town map (the one with two bridges) and they were whining that people were hiding in buildings. It's hardcore, twits.

I know that Hardcore isn't a favorite of a lot of folks, but it really slows down the game. It makes silencers and heartbeat sensors more important, and the Cold Blooded and Ninja perks become a real option. Also popping a UAV at the right time can be a game changer. But I will try to get back into regular mode.

It's so quiet in Mercenary TDM, I wish they had Hardcore Mercenary TDM.

After putting up with the asshole chatter I finally gave up and went into Assassin's Creed 2 just to download and install my Gamestop Exclusive Content, then fired up Forza 3. I'll probably get back into MW2 tomorrow.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 18, 2009, 01:12:25 AM »

not sure what you mean by cold blooded and ninja become real options since they are what I run in normal mode and are huge advantages.  Silencers are arguably more important in normal mode as well since any shot fired shows position which isn't true in hardcore.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 18, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 18, 2009, 01:12:25 AM

not sure what you mean by cold blooded and ninja become real options since they are what I run in normal mode and are huge advantages.  Silencers are arguably more important in normal mode as well since any shot fired shows position which isn't true in hardcore.

I'm thinking that in HC there is more camping and sniping. It seems to me that in regular mode there's more shooting so that non-silencer shooters aren't as concerned about giving away their position. You are right though about the silencers in regular mode, I didn't think about the radar bit.

My observation of HC and non-HC, in the latter there's a lot more moving around. In my hardcore matches there were more ambushes. And a lot more claymores being used. So people tended to stay in place.

For me, the best part of hardcore is that you can get a kill with fewer rounds. Yes, it's possible in regular with a headshot (I think), but it's frustrating in regular to empty half a clip into a guy and he keeps running. On a big map like Derailed I can use my FAL fairly effectively in hardcore, but in regular the FAL is pretty useless for me. Mind you, my horrible reaction time and poor aim don't help  icon_eek

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 18, 2009, 03:00:30 AM »

Finally got the silencer for the FAMAS.  No idea if that was the reason, but I immediately went 16/6 in the next TDM match that I played.  Combined with hard line, I actually wound up with a mess of kill streaks.  We were of Afghan, and the entire opposing team was in the bunker.  Starting from the cliffs, I pretty much just worked my way down their line and shot/knifed every single one of them.  I don't think they even realized I was there.  Silencer is pretty damn awesome.

I even got a care package and a sentry gun! Of course, the care package was just another stupid UAV.  frown  Finished second on my team though.  If I really am become death with this silencer, I may have to look at my kill streak rewards.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 18, 2009, 03:32:13 AM »

oh man, the heart beat monitor has helped me a lot. also whoever gave the tip of pulling up your sights and shoot at once. hats off, sir. that single handedly helped me a lot
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 18, 2009, 05:16:08 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2009, 03:00:30 AM

Finally got the silencer for the FAMAS.  No idea if that was the reason, but I immediately went 16/6 in the next TDM match that I played.  Combined with hard line, I actually wound up with a mess of kill streaks.  We were of Afghan, and the entire opposing team was in the bunker.  Starting from the cliffs, I pretty much just worked my way down their line and shot/knifed every single one of them.  I don't think they even realized I was there.  Silencer is pretty damn awesome.

The silenced FAMAS is usually what I play with.  The burst helps counteract the reduced damage from the silencer, and the iron sights are very usable. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 18, 2009, 05:50:22 AM »

You know, I really hate the matchmaking system that this game uses.  First, it split the TDM teams such that the top two players were on one team.  Unsurprisingly the other team lost badly.  Then I hop out to find a new game, get put into a game that is literally one kill from ending.  That's asinine.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 06:08:35 AM by Chaz » Logged

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 18, 2009, 06:13:08 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2009, 03:00:30 AM

I've been a fan of using the SCAR with the Bling perk and using both the ACOG sight and the silencer.  Absolutely lethal

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 18, 2009, 07:04:07 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2009, 05:50:22 AM

You know, I really hate the matchmaking system that this game uses.  First, it split the TDM teams such that the top two players were on one team.  Unsurprisingly the other team lost badly.  Then I hop out to find a new game, get put into a game that is literally one kill from ending.  That's asinine.

the game doesn't care about rank at all.  there is no in-game indicator of skill level for it to use while matchmaking.  On top of that, if they are in a lobby together, of course they will be on the same team. 

The other issue is a definite problem though.  We've joined games that were done as soon as we finished loading for a great loss.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: November 18, 2009, 07:07:33 AM »

I don't know why people think I camp...

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 18, 2009, 12:36:03 PM »

I've thought about what Hark and others have said about being stealthy and I think I need to give it a try. Pete's suggestion of the ACOG and silencer also sound good. I guess that putting a silencer on an LMG just didn't sound like it would work, but if it keeps me off their radar it's worth a try.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 18, 2009, 01:08:09 PM »

I need a perk that initiates Godmode... then I *might* get some kills

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 18, 2009, 01:19:56 PM »

Have you tried Mercenary Team Deathmatch? In regular Team DM you can get top players who're always together since they're from the same lobby--I mean, that's what we do.

In Mercenary Team DM anyone can go on either team, and it tries to keep things balanced based on scores from the previous round.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 18, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 18, 2009, 01:19:56 PM

Have you tried Mercenary Team Deathmatch? In regular Team DM you can get top players who're always together since they're from the same lobby--I mean, that's what we do.

In Mercenary Team DM anyone can go on either team, and it tries to keep things balanced based on scores from the previous round.

I usually do mercenary.  Last night, I was doing TDM express because I hate the long wait between matches.  I think I was just having one of those nights last night.  Obviously it was karma making up for the awesome game I had before.  In one match, my team was sucking, and I could tell because I was #1 on our leaderboard.  I thought I might actually get the challenge for doing that.  Then, at the tail end of the match, I got killed and then spawn killed to drop to #2.   icon_evil

I'm not convinced I'm ever going to learn those Rio maps, particularly Favela.  Too many strange places to get to, and all the damn buildings look the same to me.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: November 18, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 17, 2009, 09:40:35 PM

Painkiller - it screws me in Rock Band and MW2!

icon_lol  nod

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 18, 2009, 01:49:25 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 18, 2009, 01:28:51 PM

I usually do mercenary.  Last night, I was doing TDM express because I hate the long wait between matches.

From a gameplay perspective, there's no reason if you're solo to go into regular TDM or express (other than like you said you don't want to wait as long). It's unpossible for a bunch of randoms to do well against a team- or even a pair- that works together.

I know when I'm alone, I use Mercenary Team Death Match TM by Infinity Ward!  thumbsup thumbsup

Also, I know it has only been a week, but it's time for a map pack  icon_cool
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 18, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »

I used the ACOG sight  + Heartbeat sensor on the SCAR, with Cold Blodded and Ninja Pro.

Fantastic combination.  I love the setup. 

Hark was my rival last night.  Good times! 

Eco
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 18, 2009, 02:20:11 PM »

I unlocked the duel P90's, and have been using those with Marathon, Lightweight, and Ninja Pro.

Good. God.  icon_twisted

My K/D ratio isn't drastically different, and there are some maps where the kit just doesn't work, but I have had some great moments in the few hours I've used it. The ability to be silent has made a noticeable difference, as I've been able to sneak around entire teams and wipe them out in one run. Earlier today I was playing on Quarry, and came up to the top corner of the map, which has the exploding barrels. Four people from the other team were all crouched and staring out the whole in the chainlink fence.  eek

I could have mowed them all down easily with my guns, but I got greedy and wanted to stab them all. I ran up and stabbed the first, got the second before he turned around, swung at the third, but I realized too late he had a riot shield. The knife bounced off harmlessly, and before I could start firing I was dead.

I was kicking myself after for not getting the easy kills, but that was definitely fun.  icon_biggrin

I also wanted to add that I used a sniper rifle for the first time really yesterday on wasteland. I couldn't use sniper rifles in anything but hardcore in previous versions, but yesterday I was getting a lot of kills with it (a lot of kills for me anyway). It only took two shots to the body to take someone down, and the gun I was using had very little recoil, so it was easy to hit them twice before they dropped into cover. I'm going to have to spend some time unlocking attachments for that gun, and seeing if I can use that on bigger maps instead of the P90's or Assault Rifles that I have been using.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:22:40 PM by msteelers » Logged

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 18, 2009, 02:25:34 PM »

re Riot shield - how the heck do I attack with it?? I cant seem to do anything but run around looking good with this kit!

A new one
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 18, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 18, 2009, 02:25:34 PM

re Riot shield - how the heck do I attack with it?? I cant seem to do anything but run around looking good with this kit!

You can press the right stick (melee) to bash opponents. It will take two hits though to take them down. Or, try and wait until the guy has to reload, and then hit him with a throwing knife.

The point of those kits though is to mostly absorb damage and let teammates take out the enemies, so you'll have a ton of assists but not many kills.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 18, 2009, 02:30:12 PM »

D'oh! Of course! Thanks a lot, I have been killed a few times by people with  a riot shield, but I never did figure out how the heck they were doing it...

A new one
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 18, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »

Btw- the Spec Ops missions are ridiculous!  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 18, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »

I'm curious why people play team DM over free for all.  It seems like you can level faster when you can shoot anything that moves.  Am I wrong on that? 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 18, 2009, 03:01:32 PM »

Well, different game modes offer different xp per kill. For example, I believe a kill in Team Deathmatch is 100 points, while a kill in domination is 50 points. I haven't played Free for All, so I'm not sure what the points in that would be.

The reason why I don't play though, is because I have more fun in team based games. I've never liked Free For All in any FPS that I can think of.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 18, 2009, 03:02:13 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 18, 2009, 07:07:33 AM

I don't know why people think I camp...

I get Statuesque almost every game now. I never get the prone one though. That's just shameful Tongue

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 18, 2009, 03:07:08 PM »

For my money, TDM is less stressful than free for all.  Yes, you have more targets in FFA, but you also have more people targeting you.  For those of us without mad skillz, FFA tends to result in just getting killed constantly.  In TDM, you've got people supporting you, spotting targets, helping to hold areas and distract enemies, etc.  It's still stressful, but not nearly as stressful as in FFA where sticking your head out a window will likely get it shot off.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 18, 2009, 03:18:10 PM »

I play 50% FFA and 50% TDM.  Free for all is really a lot of fun, and it absolutely lets you level more quickly.

I tried the shield yesterday for the first time and didn't really do too well with it.  I assume, when I right click and the vision changes, that means I'm holding the shied up?  I still got shot though, it didn't seem to work right for me. 

I am going to try sniping today.  I'm sure my KDR will plummet, but it will be fun.

Also, I tried my main kit (Scar, Heartbeat sensor) with the grenade launcher last night instead of the ACOG scope.  The grenade launcher is a lot of fun to use, but I still found myself missing the scope.  I wish there was another level for Bling that allows 3 attachments!

Eco
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 18, 2009, 03:30:59 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on November 18, 2009, 03:18:10 PM

I tried the shield yesterday for the first time and didn't really do too well with it.  I assume, when I right click and the vision changes, that means I'm holding the shied up?  I still got shot though, it didn't seem to work right for me. 

The riot shield is always "up". Even if you switch to your secondary weapon, the shield moves to your back, and will protect you from getting shot in the back. However, that doesn't mean that you are invulnerable when you have the shield equipped. If you are standing, then your feet and the top of your head are still exposed, and a few shots at a players feet will still kill them. When you crouch, the shield is placed on the floor, so your feet are now covered, but the top of your head is still exposed. This is the most cover you can get with the shield, but you are still slightly exposed. If you go prone, you will automatically bring out your secondary weapon and the shield will protect your back, so you can't get shot from above.

I'm not sure though if the shield has a limited amount of damage it can protect from, or if certain guns or attachments (FMJ for instance) can penetrate it. Whenever I use it, I can see the shield start to crack and shatter from all the gunfire, but whenever I get killed it's usually either someone flanking me and shooting me from behind, or taking out my feet.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 18, 2009, 03:32:39 PM »

BTW, I forgot to post this  ninja

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: