http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 09:52:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2 Impressions [And official GT Review]  (Read 80688 times)
jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 15, 2009, 11:09:30 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 15, 2009, 10:40:35 AM

Gods I suck at this game....I think my KD ratio is 1:1000 right now - how the heck do you people do this? have inhuman reflexes? play this all the time? I get shot up every damn time I turn a corner...

while I kinda like the game, I am as always reminded how quickly I also get annoyed because some people just play this so much, that the moment they see me, I'm dead...

me too, don't worry. last time I checked it was like .39 lol. Just find a game mode you're good at and play it. I tend to stick to objective based because I like how it focuses the action. I can't aim for shit with a controller and not knowing any maps DM sucks. I also can't sit and camp. That's boring and lame imo. Also I'm sure most of these people play a crap ton of shooters on consoles. I really don't, so it's no big deal to me. If IW didn't fuck the pc version up the ass I'd just as soon get that instead.

But boy howdy, if there was ever a RPG competition god damn right I'd beat everyone at it.  icon_lol

Demolition is the shit. 2 objectives and non stop action. No one cares if you die because kills don't win, teamwork does.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 15, 2009, 12:01:38 PM »

hehe thanks Jersoc - good to hear I'm not the only one who sucks ;-) Oh, and I love the domination maps as well - as you say, having a goal is really a lot more fun to me that just running around and killing everything I see..or rather, be killed by everyone I see ;-)

A new one
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: November 15, 2009, 01:21:41 PM »

Right now I'm holding off a bit for MP. Going to try and get most of the SP achievements (save for the difficulty-related ones, those I can do later down the road), plus playing Spec Ops with a friend smile

Man, this game's a blast!

biggrin

Also...any one of our boys gotten a nuke yet in MP? slywink

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: November 15, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »

Gods I suck at this game....I think my KD ratio is 1:1000 right now - how the heck do you people do this? have inhuman reflexes? play this all the time? I get shot up every damn time I turn a corner...

while I kinda like the game, I am as always reminded how quickly I also get annoyed because some people just play this so much, that the moment they see me, I'm dead...

Yeah me too. I have only played TDM so far and come bottom just about every game. I think i'm rank 6 or 7 now but it's hard going. Nothing wrong with my skills as such it's more a matter of learning the maps and the best places to just wait for people.

Is there any online sites with maps of all the multiplayer maps?

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 15, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on November 15, 2009, 01:57:35 PM

Yeah me too. I have only played TDM so far and come bottom just about every game. I think i'm rank 6 or 7 now but it's hard going. Nothing wrong with my skills as such it's more a matter of learning the maps and the best places to just wait for people.

Is there any online sites with maps of all the multiplayer maps?

For those who are struggling, I'd recommend giving Free For All a shot. It's basically you against 5 other guys and if you see someone you shoot them. It's far less frenetic and gives you a better chance of exploring the maps without getting mauled.

Here's the map layout for 4 maps. It's all I could find in 3 seconds of googling.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: November 15, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »

Cheers, same as me, doesn't seem more than those 4 out there atm.

that's what i always liked about bots, allows you to learn the maps quickly and then go online with some knowledge.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 15, 2009, 03:22:14 PM »

Quote from: nymanium on November 15, 2009, 08:25:53 AM

Need to stop playing Team Death Match, too many people are camping. There would be minutes where there was no noise at all, no bullets, no grenades, nothing, just peace. And with every map having so many nooks and crannys for people to hide in, it gets really old, really fast to turn a corner and be shot by someone hiding. I know it's a valid strategy, but when everyone does it, it takes from the fun.

they give you plenty of tools to deal with camping.  from the heartbeat sensor to the riot shield.  There are counters to pretty much every tactic.  Only tactic that pisses me off to no end is bunny hopping which I feel has no place in any game but Halo. slywink
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 15, 2009, 03:35:51 PM »

I can't stand demolition with randoms.  If one team has even the slightest bit of teamwork and the other doesn't, it's just impossible to win.  Once one bomb goes off, they now know where you're spawning and where you're going, and can set up a gauntlet of death without much difficulty.  Domination I still love. 

Sorry to bug out so fast last night.  After we lost connection on that one laggy game, I checked to see if my other friend whose invites I'd been ignoring all night was around, then went to play some more Dragon Age.  Drunken CoD is way more fun.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 15, 2009, 03:42:54 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 15, 2009, 03:22:14 PM

Quote from: nymanium on November 15, 2009, 08:25:53 AM

Need to stop playing Team Death Match, too many people are camping. There would be minutes where there was no noise at all, no bullets, no grenades, nothing, just peace. And with every map having so many nooks and crannys for people to hide in, it gets really old, really fast to turn a corner and be shot by someone hiding. I know it's a valid strategy, but when everyone does it, it takes from the fun.

they give you plenty of tools to deal with camping.  from the heartbeat sensor to the riot shield.  There are counters to pretty much every tactic.  Only tactic that pisses me off to no end is bunny hopping which I feel has no place in any game but Halo. slywink

I've been playing mostly non-Hardcore TDM and I'd LOVE it if there was more camping. The enemies seem to constantly moving and shooting. I pick a spot, making sure no one is behind me, and five seconds later someone runs up behind me and whack me. It's one reason I like Hardcore, people don't run as much.

Hark, am I right that only Ninja defeats the heartbeat sensor? I've been using Cold Blooded and Steady Aim, but I'm thinking I should go Ninja instead for Perk 3.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 15, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »

That is right temple.

I use cold-blooded + Ninja, and am undetectable unless I fire my gun (could use a silencer, but I'm hooked on the holagraphic scope and heartbeat sensor)

Wake up.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 15, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »

Alright people, start adding me to your lists. I was playing last night a little bit for the first time and need some coordination. Just unlocked the SCAR I believe so lvl8?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 15, 2009, 05:08:47 PM »

I play Domination exclusively now because I love how it focuses the action. I've also seen people with a negative k/d get the most points in a round.

I got all the challenges for the UMP45 except for the FMJ one. I decided to try another gun (it's a SMG that starts with a P) and it is amazing. I haven't had a game with a k:d under 1.00 with it yet.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 15, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on November 15, 2009, 03:42:54 PM

Hark, am I right that only Ninja defeats the heartbeat sensor? I've been using Cold Blooded and Steady Aim, but I'm thinking I should go Ninja instead for Perk 3.

Aside from making you invisible on heartbeat monitors, which is lifesaving since there always seems to be at least a couple people using them, Ninja Pro also brings you silent footsteps, which is awesome awesome to have.

I don't have the reflexes and quick aiming skills of a lot of the online players, but with their loud footsteps I can often track their location through walls even better than with a heartbeat monitor. On the flipside, Ninja Pro lets me move uncrouched, or even at a sprint, without worrying about people locating me in the same manner.

I just wish it was possible to have Commando Pro and Ninja Pro (and Cold Blooded) all at the same time.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 15, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »

I found out that bringing in the nuke gives the people you kill a title, but you yourself don't get one. frown
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 15, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 15, 2009, 08:22:58 PM

I found out that bringing in the nuke gives the people you kill a title, but you yourself don't get one. frown

You've used one!?  bowdown bowdown

I'm finding killstreaks much harder to get in this game than the other. And I like it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 15, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 15, 2009, 08:29:44 PM

I'm finding killstreaks much harder to get in this game than the other. And I like it.

On that note, it's just brilliant how they've tweaked the game to make it more fun and accessible for all skill levels, in particular the supply drop.  In W@W we had lots of folks in our groups who rarely, or never, got to call in the dogs. In MW2 between supply drop and the hard line perk, every kill streak reward but the nuke is obtainable by every player (except Chaz).
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 15, 2009, 08:42:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 15, 2009, 08:36:49 PM

On that note, it's just brilliant how they've tweaked the game to make it more fun and accessible for all skill levels, in particular the supply drop.  In W@W we had lots of folks in our groups who rarely, or never, got to call in the dogs. In MW2 between supply drop and the hard line perk, every kill streak reward but the nuke is obtainable by every player (except Chaz).

It's so deflating when the drop is ammo, but so awesome when it's an AC-130!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 15, 2009, 08:54:33 PM »

I think I would probably be a better asset to the team if I had UAV, Counter UAV and Emergency Air Drop.  However, I find that getting a 25 kill streak and not having the nuke equipped just pisses me off. smile
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 15, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »

I've been some playing Free For All against randoms this weekend.

My K/D was up  around 1.2 until I decided to try and learn to use the sniper loadout.

Now I am back under 1.0.  icon_frown

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 15, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »

I will almost never touch a sniper kit in any game, I just don't have the required aiming skills.

I like my current kill streak setup, when I can make it work: Predator, Harrier, Pavelow.  Works beautifully when I can get both the harrier and the pavelow up at the same time.  Of course having an opposing team that is clueless about air defense is also helpful.  icon_razz

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 15, 2009, 09:30:45 PM »

Hey, I've somehow managed to get a four-kill streak at least twice.  Of course, both times when I called for it, I was shot about .5 seconds later, so never got to actually use them.  I didn't even use hardline!

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 15, 2009, 09:32:07 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 15, 2009, 09:30:45 PM

Hey, I've somehow managed to get a four-kill streak at least twice.  Of course, both times when I called for it, I was shot about .5 seconds later, so never got to actually use them.  I didn't even use hardline!

Chaz you keep kill streaks after you die now.  And they stack also if you don't use them, so you can die and still use up to 3 after you respawn.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 15, 2009, 09:44:36 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 15, 2009, 09:09:02 PM

I will almost never touch a sniper kit in any game, I just don't have the required aiming skills.

+1

With the exception of the Battlefield games, I cannot snipe at all.

And I agree wonderpug. They did a great job with the care package. It's so awesome to see what you end up with.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 15, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »

One thing I have learned is to use headphones.  It makes a huge diffference in situational awareness.  I know it may seem obvious.  But I never realized it until now.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 15, 2009, 10:09:03 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 15, 2009, 09:32:07 PM

Quote from: Chaz on November 15, 2009, 09:30:45 PM

Chaz you keep kill streaks after you die now.  And they stack also if you don't use them, so you can die and still use up to 3 after you respawn.

I know that.  I'd get to what I thought was a safe place, pop the smoke for the care package, and then get shot.  By the time I got back there, the package was, of course, taken.  So I guess technically I got to use them, but not really.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 15, 2009, 11:00:55 PM »

Just beat it.

5hrs 48m

Frustrating campaign overall. Fun little payoffs with the scripted segments. I liked CoD4 better. I would honestly give single-player (because of issues with level structure and dumbass AI) a solid B.

Onto strictly MP + Spec Ops...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 16, 2009, 01:20:18 AM »

After last night's multiplayer experiences with you guys and then with the Gamers With Jobs crew, I'm pretty well decided that the only kind of match I'm going to tolerate playing in a non-private match is Mercenary Team Deatchmatch. Getting stuck in a match versus hardcore clan after hardcore clan is not my idea of fun. I just don't (and never will) play this kind of game on either that level of dedication or skill.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 16, 2009, 01:40:55 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 16, 2009, 01:20:18 AM

After last night's multiplayer experiences with you guys and then with the Gamers With Jobs crew, I'm pretty well decided that the only kind of match I'm going to tolerate playing in a non-private match is Mercenary Team Deatchmatch. Getting stuck in a match versus hardcore clan after hardcore clan is not my idea of fun. I just don't (and never will) play this kind of game on either that level of dedication or skill.

I can relate, after being totally brutalized in some public team deathmatches the other night. It was like lambs to the slaughter. Everyone is so far ahead that coming in as a newbie is demoralizing and embarrassing.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 16, 2009, 01:42:27 AM »

Seriously, run Mercenary Team Deathmatch. It's just like team deathmatch, except you can't join as a party or invite people, so everyone is randomly matched up. The learning curve is still steep, but nothing at all like facing organized clan teams.

I started off dying most of the time, but have slowly been improving. smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 16, 2009, 03:14:31 AM »

Has anyone read anything about the map rotation? Aren't there something like 14 maps? I seem to keep playing the same six over and over again.

I'd say in about 2 hrs of play, I landed on invasion 6 times.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 16, 2009, 06:05:02 AM »

Out of curiosity, I started replaying the campaign on veteran. It's my opinion so far that IW was not lying and that there are not, at least for the most part, endless spawning enemies. The first place I was worried about was the Favelas, and as recommended by someone in the thread, I hung back in the beginning under cover and shot at available targets. Sure enough, several checkpoints passed while I was still in the starting area, and then my NPC squadmates started moving up. I followed and the place got cleared out fairly swiftly, with a few deaths, of course.

There are definitely still invisible lines, but this time they don't serve to stop the flow of bad guys, they will either trigger an event or allow your squad to move up. Sometimes you'll be in an area and it will get quiet and your squad will stay in cover - I assume this is just the game preventing you from using your squad to get all the kills. Sometimes you have to go into danger.

Anyway, after the first area of the Favelas, when you move up into the streets and alleys up the hill - HO LEE CRAP. That is some cheap stuff on veteran. I was actually more worried about the first area, but was totally wrong. Guys show up on 3rd and 4th story rooftops and headshot you in a fraction of a second. Worst of all, you can completely clean out an area and then move forward and BAM! A guy throws open some shutters in front of you and guns you down.

The mission after that was significantly easier. I'm going to keep going, but I'm not really planning on finishing. There are two areas I know that will be beastly
Spoiler for Hiden:
The locker room in the gulag with balconies and all the riot shield guys.
The defense of the estate.
Some of the very end will be tough too, when you get attacked in the caves by guys with thermal gear.
and I'm not looking to punish myself. But getting a few extra achievement is cool as long as i know when to give up.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 16, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »

i finished the campaign on 'normal' tonight in about 6.5 hours and thought it was pretty damn fun overall.  IW has proven that they're the master of large-scale setpiece battles and manages a level of intensity through the story that i think surpasses even the original Modern Warfare.  the only other game that comes to mind with a similar intensity and sense of scale from beginning to end is Killzone 2.  while the story could have been presented more clearly and relies a little too much on multiple surprise twists, i thought it was interesting and functioned well to give some context to the action.  they took the story down a pretty extreme path to justify some settings and scenes, but it was all so fun that i really don't care in the end.  i can see why they put a warning at the beginning of the game about graphics scenes though.  i'm not one to get upset about something in a game, but i can see quite a few events as being a little much for some people.  besides the much-discussed airport scene, there were quite a few others moments that were a bit surprising in their brutality...things that i thought were pretty cool, but they definitely aren't for everyone.  i kind of wonder if choosing the tamer option at the beginning changes anything other than the airport scene.

technically, MW2 has as few weaknesses, but it's pretty impressive overall.  there are times where the game's low resolution becomes noticeable, but the action is usually so intense that you barely have time to notice.  other than the resolution, everything else is very well done...great lighting, smoke effects, explosions, and a ton of detail in the world around you.  there are a few moments and sequences that are unlike anything i've played before and look absolutely awesome (like the zodiac level).  despite the amount of action happening onscreen at any given time, the game ran smooth as silk from beginning to end.  add fantastic sounds effects, great music, and quality voice acting to the mix and you have a top-notch gaming experience.  Modern Warfare 2's campaign may not be the best shooter i've played, but it's pretty damn good...enough so that i don't really mind the short length.  don't take that as meaning that i don't wish it were a little longer though.

now i just need to try Spec Ops and multiplayer...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 16, 2009, 01:59:55 PM »

As to the length, I'm never one to complain about number of hours, as long as the game is "as long as it needs to be."  Filler is annoying and pointless to me.  You want your game to be six hours, make it the best damned six hour game you can and I won't complain (I still hold "Portal" up as one of the all-time best examples, and it's around four hours). 

But the pacing is off in MW2.  It needed more levels.  As mentioned, at least a few more in the "No Russian" story branch, but also a few more to keep the story a little more cohesive.  Things keep popping into my head that just seem like big holes
Spoiler for Hiden:
They went into prison to release "someone" the enemy wanted, what happened to that plan after they found out it was one of their men?  Also, how did that guy (can't remember his name - the one with Soap) know that Sheperd was a bad guy?  He radios the info, but how did he find that out?  He seemed to be aware all along, as he cut off radio communications before heading to the sub.  He was in prison, so how did he get that info?  I'm not saying he couldn't have.  Obviously, there are sources while still in prison (though it seems odd, given  that no one on his team knew he was in there), but it would have made Shepherd seem less plot-devicey if they'd had a level where, say, Soap and that guy discovered some intel that surprised them, and they said something about radioing the other team, THEN you get the burn-ouchie level with Shepherd and the too-late warning (or even NOT too late, as we'd had enough forced player deaths already by that point).

This is one of the few games, certainly among AAA titles, where I feel like they needed to add to the SP.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 16, 2009, 02:26:29 PM »

I think the gameplay length was fine- I kind of like these really short CoD experiences because it makes them very replayable for me.  I've played through CoD4 at least 4 times and I'm already on my third playthrough of MW2.  However I do think the game needed more cutscenes or story interludes to put in the connective tissue that you mentioned. 
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 16, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »

Here's what I learned about MP.  I still suck.  I have fun with I'm playing with friends, but against my enjoyment level drop tremendously.  Anyway, I'm still in for MP

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 16, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2009, 02:26:29 PM

I think the gameplay length was fine- I kind of like these really short CoD experiences because it makes them very replayable for me.  I've played through CoD4 at least 4 times and I'm already on my third playthrough of MW2.  However I do think the game needed more cutscenes or story interludes to put in the connective tissue that you mentioned. 

Yeah, I guess cutscenes would have taken care of most of that stuff, but the build-up to
Spoiler for Hiden:
the airport
could have used at least two more levels.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 16, 2009, 04:36:29 PM »

Is anyone playing this evening? let's say around 8pm EST?
How can I join?

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: November 16, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »

I still think this is the GOTY, but has anyone noticed there is more camping going on in MW2, than in either CoD4 or CoD: WaW? Is it the map size being larger? New players short on skill? All in my head? I typically shoot and scoot, although I will cover choke points a lot, especially if I notice I'm the only person on the left, while my whole team is on the right, but I absolutely refuse to sit in some buildings corner, or in the bathroom in estate, for the whole match, picking people off, to me, that isn't playing the game, it's just cheesy.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: November 16, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 14, 2009, 05:48:35 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 14, 2009, 04:13:56 PM

Favorites after about 19 hrs of MP:

Secondary: With the scavenger perk enabled, I don't use these much, so it would have to be the pp2000 as it's really the only one I've used. Although for my Aug kit I have a stinger

Any kit that doesn't require a secondary to function should have an AA weapon.  you are doing the team a disservice carrying a sidearm instead of a rocket launcher when it comes to enemy UAV, Counter-UAV and heli killing.

That's good advice. I really think it's cool that you offer up nuggets of wisdom like that to us. Sometimes when people are really good at a game they keep stuff to themselves, but you're the exact opposite, and I think that is very nice of you.

+1 to Hark!  icon_smile

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 16, 2009, 04:49:02 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 16, 2009, 04:40:40 PM

I still think this is the GOTY, but has anyone noticed there is more camping going on in MW2, than in either CoD4 or CoD: WaW? Is it the map size being larger? New players short on skill? All in my head? I typically shoot and scoot, although I will cover choke points a lot, especially if I notice I'm the only person on the left, while my whole team is on the right, but I absolutely refuse to sit in some buildings corner, or in the bathroom in estate, for the whole match, picking people off, to me, that isn't playing the game, it's just cheesy.

Tons of camping.  It's like you are penalized for actively seeking out combat.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: