http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 02:57:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2 Impressions [And official GT Review]  (Read 78254 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2009, 09:32:49 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 11, 2009, 09:30:45 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 11, 2009, 09:08:23 PM

Quote from: Teggy on November 11, 2009, 08:55:22 PM

When you mute someone, does it make it so they can't hear you either?

Yes.

1.19. I am in the depths of incompetance.

For those of us aspiring to break the 1 barrier (or barely remain above said barrier), such a statement could strike a negative chord.  

Well, I meant I am in the depths of incompetence for me...

I'm working to adjust my mindset that maybe 1.2 will be how good I am at this game.  That's fine. It's just a bit of a jolt at this point.  Or, hopefully, I'm just in the midst of my usual new FPS panic/adjustment period.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2009, 09:33:51 PM »

In other news:

Is anyone else having trouble dealing with the white text on white background?  What setting should I adjust to compensate?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »

I'm getting off to a decent start at .8, especially since I never got my stats above .65 in W@W.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »

Regarding 360 and connectivity, I definitely suggest putting your 360 in the DMZ if possible.  Eliminates pretty much all problems.

If we've got a game up, I send out invites whenever there is a spot open.  First come first serve and you sometimes have to accept very quickly.  If you miss the invite, you can use join in progress to get in as soon as a spot opens.  We've had up to 11 of the 12 spots available in a room.

Eventually once people get a bit further in we will probably do some private matches with funky rules.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2009, 09:42:29 PM »

I'm happy with my K/D ratio overing near 0.8 for now. In W@W I was terrible at first, and my K/D ratio was probably under 0.6, but I eventually got it up well over 1.0.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 11, 2009, 09:33:51 PM

In other news:

Is anyone else having trouble dealing with the white text on white background?  What setting should I adjust to compensate?

yes omg! i can't hear the voices and I can't read the text. doesn't really matter though, if you do what they tell you, you'll just die.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 11, 2009, 09:44:59 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 11, 2009, 09:33:51 PM

In other news:

yes omg! i can't hear the voices and I can't read the text. doesn't really matter though, if you do what they tell you, you'll just die.

Sorry. I meant on the MP screen where it lists what the challenges are and such.  THere's this smoke cloud behind it that makes it all but illegible.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »

Can I find out my KD ratio on a website somewhere.  Sorry, I missed the memo.

Eco (StockBr0ker)

Go Gunners...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2009, 10:31:24 PM »

Nope, have to do it in-game from the Barracks.

My most recent impression is that i'm going to eat like crap this week because there's no way I'm wasting precious shooting time on cooking.  Pete, can I get a gourmet airdrop?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2009, 11:44:43 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 11, 2009, 10:31:24 PM

Nope, have to do it in-game from the Barracks.

My most recent impression is that i'm going to eat like crap this week because there's no way I'm wasting precious shooting time on cooking.  Pete, can I get a gourmet airdrop?

Tonights dinner is a ham sandwich (purchased from the grocery store) and a bowl of tomato soup. Easily consumed while I watch the killcam!

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2009, 11:49:45 PM »

FYI, early sales figures are in:

VGChartz is reporting the initial number of units sold at around 7 million copies. Of that, 12% are PC or an estimated 840,000 PC copies sold. I would say based on 402's past comments that is right around their estimates.

VGChartz preliminary day one figures puts the sales to date (including the midnight launches) at over 7 million copies worldwide across Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Around 55% of sales are on Xbox 360, 33% on PS3 and the remaining 12% on PC. In terms of regional breakdowns, over 4.2 million units were sold in the Americas (3.7 million USA), 1.2 million in the UK and 350,000 each in France and Germany.
    Based on the day one figures and the Tuesday release, week one figures should come in at close to ten million units which smashes the 5.92 million week one record set by Grand Theft Auto 4 last year and positions Modern Warfare 2 as the most successful game launch of all time.

- Source VGChartz

Go Gunners...
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:42 PM »

And my xbox just froze up twice as soon as I entered a MP match. Hopefully I can get it to work soon.  mad

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2009, 11:57:01 PM »

Uh-oh. I was deleting stuff off the hard drive, hoping to install it to the HD, and it froze then too. I restarted again and it locked up as the console was booting up. The damn sphere didn't even has the X cut into it yet.

No RROD yet, but it's coming I think.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »

Damn that sucks Steelers!

Wish I could play right now, but, I almost fell asleep at my night job this morning.  So time for me to grab a couple hours of sleep, might be on for an hour, hour and a half before heading to work tonight.

Tomorrow... tomorrow I will have some time to play, and then plenty this weekend!

My k/d was somewhere around 1.35/1.40 last time I looked, but I really sucked the last couple of matches last night so that may have dropped.  <shrug> Either way just glad to be playing with the crew and having friends who are willing to do something about the enemies air assets!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:06 AM »

I update my friends list on the PS3  so please reply\accept.
My kid took over JuniorDan on PSN.

PSN: Spinks 

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•ฟ•)›  ‹(•ฟ•)›  ‹(•ฟ•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•ฟ•)›  ‹(•ฟ•)›  ‹(•ฟ•)›
PS3 Spinks
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 12, 2009, 12:19:30 AM »

And there it is. At first it started with the E79 error, which is apparanetly a hard drive issue. But I disconnected the hard drive and I was getting the same issue. I tried a couple of different things that I read on the web, but nothing was working. Support from xbox.com said to disconnect all cables before restarting, which I did. The thing didn't even turn on! The light came on, but nothing. I tried again and now it's blinking the 3 red lights at me.

I'm going to call customer support and see what they say. I could barely afford the game, let alone paying for them to fix it or buying a new console.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 12, 2009, 12:22:06 AM »

1.23 million sales in first day in the UK,breaking previous record of 613,000 for GTA4

the game also had a premier in London's Leicester Square,which is usually host to Hollywood Blockbuster movie premiers

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=227102

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 12, 2009, 12:34:05 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 12, 2009, 12:19:30 AM

And there it is. At first it started with the E79 error, which is apparanetly a hard drive issue. But I disconnected the hard drive and I was getting the same issue. I tried a couple of different things that I read on the web, but nothing was working. Support from xbox.com said to disconnect all cables before restarting, which I did. The thing didn't even turn on! The light came on, but nothing. I tried again and now it's blinking the 3 red lights at me.

I'm going to call customer support and see what they say. I could barely afford the game, let alone paying for them to fix it or buying a new console.

Have you tried clearing the cache?

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 12, 2009, 12:34:58 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 11, 2009, 11:57:01 PM

Uh-oh. I was deleting stuff off the hard drive, hoping to install it to the HD, and it froze then too. I restarted again and it locked up as the console was booting up. The damn sphere didn't even has the X cut into it yet.

No RROD yet, but it's coming I think.

You need to clear your cache. That may fix it.

Google 'Clearing xbox 360' cache.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: November 12, 2009, 01:07:03 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 12, 2009, 12:19:30 AM

I tried again and now it's blinking the 3 red lights at me.

That blows.

Remember - always tell Microsoft that your console RRoDed on you. Period.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2009, 01:46:49 AM »

Last night when I went to bed, my Kill and Score ranks were somewhere in the 600,000 range.  This afternoon when I got home and jumped online, my ranks were up in the 900,000s.  WTF don't you people ever sleep or have jobs?!   disgust

XBox Live:  JNacht
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »

I cleared the cache, but nothing was working. So, I called Customer Support, and heard a nice voice message saying that if I was calling because the console was banned there was nothing they could do, so don't bother. The recording then said that they had a lot of calls and it would be better to use their website. So I logged on, and found out that my xbox was out of warranty, and there was going to be a fee of at least $100 to get it fixed.

I really didn't want to pay $100 to not be able to use my xbox for a couple of weeks, so I jumped in the car and went to the Play-N-Trade down the street. There they had new arcades to sell for the $199 price, or a used console for $169. The guy was helpful, but that was more than I wanted to pay, so I went across the street to the Gamestop.

The Gamestop had a Microsoft refurbished Pro unit for $199, or just a system with cables and a wireless controller for $139. I opted for the $139 console, because I can't afford the $199 price, or else I would just buy a new arcade unit. The first box they brought out was the Halo edition console, which was uglier than sin (sorry if you have one). I asked if they had any newer units and the next one they brought out was built in 2009! I asked if I could bring in my old bricked console, and they said they would take it for around $30. So, for about $100, I could get a "new" console (out of warranty though) and be able to play MW2 tonight.

I rush home, plug the new unit in, format the hard drive just in case, and try to recover my gamertag. One problem though, the damn thing wouldn't connect to Xbox Live. I check all the wires and try again, and this time the test finished, and came up with an interesting message. It seems that whoever had the console before me did something bad, and the console was banned from Xbox Live...well fuck. That wouldn't do at all.

So I rush back to the Gamestop and they are able to trade it out with another unit (this one also 2009). I brought it back and it seems to be working fine! I was able to recover my gamertag with no issues, and now I'm installing the game to my HD. I'm also getting a million invites to play the game, but the game is still in the middle of installing.

So what was supposed to be a glorious night of shooting people in the face, turned into a horrible experience that ends with me losing several hours of quality gaming time, and a significant case of buyers remorse. And if this damn game would install any faster, I would be able to take out my frustrations on some digital terrorists!

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2009, 02:10:02 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 12, 2009, 02:01:18 AM

I cleared the cache, but nothing was working. So, I called Customer Support, and heard a nice voice message saying that if I was calling because the console was banned there was nothing they could do, so don't bother. The recording then said that they had a lot of calls and it would be better to use their website. So I logged on, and found out that my xbox was out of warranty, and there was going to be a fee of at least $100 to get it fixed.

How old was the box?  Obviously this won't help now, but the RROD has a 3 year warranty, while the standard warranty (for everything else) is just 1 year.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2009, 02:13:29 AM »

Sorry if I made your Xbox go out msteelers frown

Go Gunners...
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2009, 02:14:26 AM »

My KD ratio is 0.82, and I'm actually happy about that.  I thought I was going to completely blow since this is the first time I've played COD on a console controller. 

Go Gunners...
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2009, 02:20:13 AM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on November 12, 2009, 01:46:49 AM

WTF don't you people...have jobs?!   disgust

No.  So kicking your ass is the only joy some of us will ever know.   icon_wink

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2009, 02:20:47 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 11, 2009, 09:08:23 PM

Quote from: Teggy on November 11, 2009, 08:55:22 PM

When you mute someone, does it make it so they can't hear you either?

Yes.

1.19. I am in the depths of incompetance.

Do you ever stop with the drama queening about your K/D ratio?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2009, 02:23:28 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 11, 2009, 10:31:24 PM

Pete, can I get a gourmet airdrop?

icon_lol

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2009, 02:25:07 AM »

I wish I knew what in the game code makes the game decide to always have the host be someone who's connection can't handle the upload bandwidth required. frown
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2009, 02:26:59 AM »

I need to get my wife to stop playing fucking Bejeweled so I can kill people.   disgust  I can just feel my rank dropping every moment I'm offline.  The $3 ginormous Sopporos at the sushi place have helped a tad, but come on woman!

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2009, 02:28:07 AM »

My k/d has dropped to 0.37. I don't know what's going on as I've never been below 0.8 in other CoDs. It seems like I can unload an entire clip into the guy and he doesn't go down but then he calmly turns around ane one shots me.

Also Live is acting up now and I can't get a consistent game going without timing out.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2009, 02:29:02 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on November 12, 2009, 02:10:02 AM

Quote from: msteelers on November 12, 2009, 02:01:18 AM

How old was the box?  Obviously this won't help now, but the RROD has a 3 year warranty, while the standard warranty (for everything else) is just 1 year.

I bought the console when it launched, so it was outside of the warranty by a couple of months.

Quote from: Eco-Logic on November 12, 2009, 02:13:29 AM

Sorry if I made your Xbox go out msteelers frown

I think you owe me $100.  icon_lol

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2009, 02:38:25 AM »

spec ops is great. played about 2 hours with my brother. must've gotten about half a dozen achievements too all were easy.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2009, 02:51:46 AM »

I got in about six hours of MP today, all TDM, and had a blast. I was writing down the map names and identified fourteen of them. And all of them pretty good.

I was concentrating on all the challenges for the M4A1. I got all of the attachments for the M4A1 except the extended mag, which I don't get till I get 40 penetration kills using FMJ. I got eight in a couple of maps, then a couple more in the next map, and then it seemed impossible. It's so frustrating since I got past the other  challenges easy enough. I guess I'll keep trying.

I have to keep in mind that in COD4 and CoDWaw I never got the challenges for a bunch of weapons. No need to force myself to spend time on weapons or options I  just don't like.

Since it's rare that I'm going to get kill streaks over five, and usually less, I'm using the perk that gives me the kill streak reward one kill earlier and my first one is the UAV. This way I help out my team by getting more UAVs up. Also this way other members of the team can focus on other kill streak options.

I'll be on again tomorrow afternoon and am planning on joining the Geezers Friday night.

I'd list my current K/D, but I'm having trouble converting the Roman notation to a ratio. Old timers, you know  slywink

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2009, 02:54:24 AM »

Finished the campaign.  I'll be interested to say how I feel on a replay but for now I don't think it's nearly as good as the first one.  It feels like "Quantum of Solace" to MW1's "Casino Royale".  Still, it was really good. 
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2009, 02:57:04 AM »

Well since my complaint I've done better but Live is seriously f'ed up tonight. Matches dropping left and right.
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2009, 03:17:48 AM »

One thing I recommend is to take a rocket launcher as a secondary, really useful for shooting down helicopters and the such.

Also was very glad to find out that kills by the killstreak rewards, don't count towards your killstreak. Found out after a helpful supply drop gave me a pavelow chopter which killed about 10 people.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2009, 03:58:45 AM »

Had a full group+ going on all night and had a ton of fun.  Thanks for all the good games guys!!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2009, 04:56:11 AM »

Here's the top 5 single days for games on 360 Voice. MW2 came up just short of Halo 3, although I wonder if Tuesday's number will be surpassed this Saturday.

Texas Hold'em
58,709 gamers - 8/23/2006
Halo 3
38,085 gamers - 9/26/2007
Modern Warfareฎ 2
37,202 gamers - 11/10/2009
GTA IV
33,083 gamers - 4/30/2008
Gears of War 2
28,477 gamers - 11/8/2008

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2009, 06:13:31 AM »

I should be able to get some time in tonight AND get some sleep as well!  I am so happy!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: