http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 04:40:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mod Nation Racers  (Read 4169 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2010, 12:29:13 AM »

I've been spending almost all of my time with online races and it's been a BLAST. Daily hot laps are fun little diversions, too.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2010, 07:37:09 PM »

Anyone still playing this?  I just picked it up with some store credit.  Add r00b_BC to your list and I will be up for some playing.  It seems like this game should have more legs than it appears here at GT.

omgz
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »

I'm still playing it, but the damn career mode is so over the top hard (thanks to the cheap AI) that I tend to only play it in short bursts.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:11 PM »

Quote from: jblank on June 29, 2010, 09:25:15 PM

I'm still playing it, but the damn career mode is so over the top hard (thanks to the cheap AI) that I tend to only play it in short bursts.

+1.

What kills it for me is that you can get third place to pass, but you need to get first and collect googahs or follow orders to pass the other two challenges.  That is not only ridiculous, it's stupid.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 29, 2010, 10:10:11 PM

Quote from: jblank on June 29, 2010, 09:25:15 PM

+1.

What kills it for me is that you can get third place to pass, but you need to get first and collect googahs or follow orders to pass the other two challenges.  That is not only ridiculous, it's stupid.

Yup. The game was one of the biggest games of the year for me, as far as anticipation factor, but it isn't even close to being a great game.

There are just so many problems:

1. Load times are atrocious, maybe the worst of any game I have played this generation.
2. Constant disconnects online affecting so many people that members of the dev team have actually had to post on the Sony forums saying they were working on a fix.
3. Goals that are not only unfair, but make it so that it's near impossible to both win AND still complete the challenges.
4. Cheaters rampant on hot laps posting bogus times.
5. Near complete lack of support so far. The game has been out over 2 months and there are 2 official downloadable cars and mods so far.
6. Dirty ass cheap AI that completely drains the fun out of the game.

To me, the game is at best a 6 out of 10. It's like Little Big Planet Redux, where the tools to create far outshine the actual gameplay, and for me, I don't want to pay $60 for a kart and track design simulation, there needs to be a good solid core game underneath that and MNR isn't that.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2010, 02:09:00 AM »

100% agree jblank.   

I think I'm done with this one and it's going on eBay.   Sad too because I really looked forward to this game almost as much as Red Dead.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »

The worst part is, there's a good game in there.  The racing is fun, the controls are good, the graphics are nice.

Why did they feel the need to make it such a pain in the ass?

Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2010, 03:21:14 PM »

That's bummer news.  I really haven't played the SP campaign.  I am not one to continually replay the same level over and over again because of lame AI, ESPECIALLY if I have to re-wait for the loading screen.  I traded swag in for this but it's sounding like I should have done more research.  OTOH, I truly enjoy LBP.  It's gotten the most play out of me over any console game besides Links for the original Xbox.  I was hoping MNR would have been the same. frown

omgz
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2010, 04:07:13 PM »

Quote from: Rubyeye on June 30, 2010, 03:21:14 PM

That's bummer news.  I really haven't played the SP campaign.  I am not one to continually replay the same level over and over again because of lame AI, ESPECIALLY if I have to re-wait for the loading screen.  I traded swag in for this but it's sounding like I should have done more research.  OTOH, I truly enjoy LBP.  It's gotten the most play out of me over any console game besides Links for the original Xbox.  I was hoping MNR would have been the same. frown

Once you've loaded the race, it doesn't take long to restart it.  At least there's that.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2010, 03:11:56 AM »

Here is some good news for those that wanted easier races:

I know everybody wants to know more about the patch that’s in development. We appreciate your patience as UFG places the final touches on it. There’s been a lot of community feedback and I think UFG has done a good job trying to include a lot of the improvements you’ve asked for. One of the improvements is the addition of a “casual” career difficulty that has less “aggressive” computer-controlled racers. I was able to spend some time last week playing the new build. Let me just say that I had a blast playing through the casual career difficulty and I think those that have been asking for this will be very pleased when you can get your hands on it!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 13, 2010, 03:11:56 AM

Here is some good news for those that wanted easier races:

I know everybody wants to know more about the patch that’s in development. We appreciate your patience as UFG places the final touches on it. There’s been a lot of community feedback and I think UFG has done a good job trying to include a lot of the improvements you’ve asked for. One of the improvements is the addition of a “casual” career difficulty that has less “aggressive” computer-controlled racers. I was able to spend some time last week playing the new build. Let me just say that I had a blast playing through the casual career difficulty and I think those that have been asking for this will be very pleased when you can get your hands on it!

I don't mind difficult racing games, that's fine, but when the AI relentlessly rips you off, like it does in MNR, it goes way beyond difficulty. I want tough racing, I don't want to win every race, but the way the game is now, you either get the objectives and finish 8th, or you skip them, focus on the racing, get close to the lead, and then get bombarded by all sorts of weapons that completely ruin the race and the game.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »

According to IGN, the patch is out next week, and it may halve the load times!

This and the casual difficulty have me inerested again, but I still think the reward conditions are stupid.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2010, 12:54:11 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 30, 2010, 09:15:15 PM

According to IGN, the patch is out next week, and it may halve the load times!

This and the casual difficulty have me inerested again, but I still think the reward conditions are stupid.

Agreed.  I really want to get this if they fix those issues.  My wife still plays Crash Team Racing on occasion so this might be the first PS3 game  I can get her to play but not until they address the 'difficultly'.

morlac00 on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2010, 03:04:31 AM »

I'd be back IN! if they fix the load times!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2010, 06:31:48 PM »

Well, I tried it again.  Too little too late for me, I think.  My interest has waned too much.

The load times are shorter, but it's still 30 seconds every time you want to play a track.

I didn't notice enough of a difference in the Casual setting to make me feel like the Challenges are anything but an annoying pain in the ass.

Specifically, I was doing a race where you had to knock 3 opponents off a bridge and/or knock a rival off same bridge.  And come in first, ridiculously.  To get the rival (and, often, the other racers), you had to time it just right (the bridge is pretty short).  That means you most likely have to get there and hang back a bit.  And that makes getting first place stupidly frustrating.

Honestly, I don't see how they didn't catch how asinine the current set up is.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2011, 08:47:35 AM »

for those of you too lazy to do it on your own, PSN is going to have the 'unlock everything' cheat available to buy for $2.99 this week.

The Career Unlock All key will also work on future content, so that if you purchase any Track Themes such as Far East or the Track Themes still to come, the content in those add-ons will be unlocked for you as well. You can pick up the Career Unlock All key from the PlayStation Store this week for $2.99. Now there’s nothing between you and super creator status.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »

Eh, they handled unlocks like how LBP1 handled them, which was to say, a poor decision.

Much of the game was all about getting cool stuff to build cool levels, just like the singleplayer levels. Unfortunately, all the cool costumes and level parts were locked behind some ridiculous requirements that people gave up on both getting them, and making levels.

So it was the same with ModNation.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: