http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 09:38:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mod chips for PSP? Supposedly....  (Read 944 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2006, 04:51:13 AM »

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/26/is-this-new-undiluted-platinum-the-first-psp-modchip/

According to this, the console has been hacked.  It was only a matter of time really.  Begs the question though - how many of you are still using 1.5 firmware?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 12:12:15 PM »

Not me... 2.7 so I can play the Loco Roco demo.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »

*raises hand*

I still have a 1.5 PSP. Been debating on selling the thing, as I just don't play games on it ever (emulated or not).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 05:43:47 AM »

Not being a jerk at all, but the psp has been hacked/cracked for over 6 months.

Wake up.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 07:18:26 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
*raises hand*

I still have a 1.5 PSP. Been debating on selling the thing, as I just don't play games on it ever (emulated or not).

I might be interested in your PSP smile

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 10:54:06 AM »

Using 2.00 at the moment, and I'm not buying any games that won't run on it. I have a decent liberary of games, and Sony's recent insanity and the PSP lack of upcoming titles means that while I'm very happy with my PSP, I really don't feel like been ripped off by SOny any more,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 03:02:53 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Begs the question

Grrrrrrr.... I think you mean "Prompts the question" or "Brings up the question"....

Thanks.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 10:07:05 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Not being a jerk at all, but the psp has been hacked/cracked for over 6 months.

Cracked as having an additional boot version (like the fabled version 1.5 PSP, and what looks to be the link above), or cracked as in being able to run unlicenced code (which started about 1 month after the US launch, if even that)?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 04:38:26 AM »

I uped to 2.0 from 1.52 and then to 1.5

i still love my 1.5 firmware
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 07:54:14 PM »

A talented team have been hard at work on a custom flash replacement for the PSP, which will not only you to use homebrew files and rung unsigned code on the PSP but will also allow you to enjoy the quality features built into all Sony PSP firmware revisions, right up there to the current v2.71 firmware! The team behind the Epsilon BIOS have completed cracked the encryption methods and developed the OS hacks to run unsigned code and even in kernel mode. The team have been unable to release this previously due to the lack of a modchip for the PSP, but with the much talked about Undiluted Platinum PSP mod just around the corner, a dream can now become a viable reality! The Epsilon BIOS will be released soon

Epsilon BIOS Team Statement

Epsilon BIOS is a custom flash "replacement" for the Sony PSP which unleashes the full potential of your handheld, allowing you to both use homebrew software and run UMD ISO games from your memory stick on the latest firmware releases while also enjoying the impressive features built into the operating system such as RSS feeds, WMA support etc. Currently the 2.71 firmware release is supported - thats right, this means we have cracked the new encryption methods and developed the operating system hacks necessary to allow unsigned code to run, even in kernel mode.

We have been developing Epsilon BIOS for quite some time, but due to the fact that it requires a dual-flash system (one flash is used to bootstrap our code, the other stores the normal PSP firmware) we have been unable to release it - until now, with the appearance of the Undiluted Platinum modchip. Previously we had been using our own custom hardware for development, however about a week ago we received Undiuluted Platinum prototypes and have since modified our code to work with their hardware - its working great, despite a few bugs which we need to iron out before the release. For those who are wondering, yes, you will need an Undiluted Platinum installed in your PSP to take advantage of this.

As mentioned above, using Epsilon BIOS its possible to launch homebrew software from the memory stick, kernel mode access is also available for software which requires this. Both 1.0 and 1.5 style EBOOTs are supported. UMD ISO loading is almost transparent, simply copy your ISO files into a directory on your memory stick and they will appear under "Game -> Memory Stick" in the operating system menu alongside your homebrew applications. Simply launch them from here, no need to use a seperate ISO loader application. Furthermore, since the games are actually running on 2.x firmware you dont need to worry about strange loading methods or patching the ISO files - they will simply work, in their original state. We have also developed our own compressed ISO format and will be distributing a packing tool.

We will be releasing a video over the next few days showing Epsilon BIOS in action - keep an eye out for this! As for the actual release, this depends on how soon we can resolve the remaining issues but we hope to have it out within 1-2 weeks.

source: www.maxconsole.net

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 01:32:10 PM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Epsilon BIOS is a custom flash "replacement" for the Sony PSP which unleashes the full potential of your handheld, allowing you to both use homebrew software and run UMD ISO games from your memory stick on the latest firmware releases while also enjoying the impressive features built into the operating system such as RSS feeds, WMA support etc.

Whoa. Having followed the scene on the PSP (and having 'moved' my two games I own (Lumines and Wipeout) to my memory stick), the ability to absolutely kill my biggest issue with the PSP (loading times) while still loading the latest firmware is BIG. Very, very big.

It might actually get me to play my PSP again. Just gotta mod it first.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 04:52:39 PM »

This isn't new.  I can't believe they're making it out like it is.

People have been playing ISO PSP games for months now...

Wake up.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 08:26:29 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
This isn't new.  I can't believe they're making it out like it is.

People have been playing ISO PSP games for months now...

Well, yeah, the whole playing ISOs on your PSP is really old now. The only issue is that you haven't been able to upgrade your PSP too far past version 1.5 in order to keep that functionality. That, and you haven't been able to do all the PSP games this way, because you needed a version greater than 1.5 in order to run the game in the first place.

What's so interesting about the post above is that with two BIOSes in the PSP, you'll be able to write a program (as described) that'll allow you to boot the unsigned code (the ISO launcher) under the 1.5 BIOS, then have the PSP switch to the newer BIOS when the game itself checks what version your PSP's BIOS is.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: