http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:54:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mistwalker's The Last Story and Xenoblade  (Read 4851 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »

Both Gamespot and IGN have reviews on Youtube if you want to watch them.  Judging by the accents I would say they were European reviews which makes sense because the game has been out there awhile.

The best thing I heard in the reviews was that the game is about 20 hours!  A game I might stand a chance of finishing!

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »

The Last Story finally arrived from Amazon. Will play a few hours before I crash.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2012, 09:32:24 PM »

Just played through the first hour and don't have a bloody clue what the hell is going on, either in combat or the story.   A bit of a hot mess to start...hoping it clears up quickly.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »

A lotta people say, "Who's that?" 

It's Gratch!

For hit point and stats,
For maces and staffs,
And prerendered plot cutscenes

It's time for an RPG!  Here comes Gratch!

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »

funny, I always pictured him with bigger boobs...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 18, 2012, 04:24:57 PM

funny, I always pictured him with bigger boobs...

Hey, you leave my moobs out of this!

Put in a couple more hours last night, and it's starting to come together.  The biggest thing is to make sure the first thing you do is switch the combat from Auto to Manual.  Makes a huge difference in how enjoyable the game is.  And don't worry if you're left utterly baffled by the opening dungeon.  The game throws a lot at you right off the bat, much of which is very counterintuitive (Chest-high walls?  In my JRPG?)  The story starts to come together a bit once you hit the town, and you actually get a few more tutorials in the first "real" dungeon, which explain a lot more about what's going on.  Especially around the magic system, which is saywhat until they get around to explaining it 3 hours in.  The combat is actually pretty fun, now that I a) have control over my character, and b) somewhat know what I'm doing.  

Jury's still out, but I'm starting to warm up to it.  The voice acting is fantastic, and the characters all have a real charm and personality (unlike the recent Tales of Graces F, which was so completely cliche that it bored me to tears).

Pro tip:  Don't neglect to grind on the red summon circles.  It doesn't take terribly long before the XP becomes negligible, but you can crank out a bunch of levels (and a ton of cash) before hitting that point.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2012, 02:57:07 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 17, 2012, 09:32:24 PM

Just played through the first hour and don't have a bloody clue what the hell is going on, either in combat or the story.   A bit of a hot mess to start...hoping it clears up quickly.

this, dear sweet Saint Guile this.  played a bit this weekend and it felt like I had picked up a book and started reading on page 150.  I was also thrown by the 'you got your FPS in my JRPG' with the crossbow.  I'll stick it out since you say it becomes clearer after a bit but I have to wonder how many people got turned off by the opening bit.

the game was also giving the Wii's drive a workout for some reason, especially during the tutorials.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:19:48 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2012, 04:18:27 AM »

Last Story took a backseat to GW2 and TL2.  Need to get back to it at some point, but will probably have to play the first 3-4 hours over again...can't really remember what was going on when I quit.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »

I'm really enjoying The Last Story, but much like Xenoblade Chronicles, I keep wishing the game had been released on the 360 or PS3. The art direction is good, but the graphics are simply godawful on 60" plasma TV. I actually dropped down and started playing it on my 24" LCD, where the smaller screen makes things bearable. The Wii U can't get here soon enough. smile

Anyway, there isn't much depth to the battle system or RPG elements, but the story and cast of characters keep things entertaining.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: