http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 06:00:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mirror's Edge  (Read 12434 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 21, 2009, 04:00:37 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 21, 2009, 03:11:45 PM

Some of the color coding is confusing to me- red is obvious. Blue seems to point the way, but orange and yellow confuse me.

Tongue

Nice.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »

I just got the game and am enjoying it quite a bit but… damn do I ever die a lot.  In two hours I bet I fell to my death at least 60 times.  Comparatively I was shot to death maybe 7…

My biggest problem is if I’m trying to jump and grab something and come up a little short she will usually grab the object.  But if I jump out too far she will not; resulting in some weirdness where the camera seems to go through an object.  Makes me wonder if Grace is really Rayman and has hands but no arms. 
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2009, 03:44:06 AM »

I just played through this demo on my shiny new 360 and was completely impressed.  I had a blast.  I hate to hear it is so short.  I definitely am on the lookout for a cheap used copy or I may just rent it next weekend.

This was the first demo I downloaded on XBL, and I couldn't be happier!

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2009, 04:46:25 AM »

The Time Trials add quite a bit to it.  No story, but there are a lot of missions to try in a free-floating landscape.  I've been finding them pretty entertaining.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2009, 09:57:07 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 08, 2009, 03:44:06 AM

I just played through this demo on my shiny new 360 and was completely impressed.  I had a blast.  I hate to hear it is so short.  I definitely am on the lookout for a cheap used copy or I may just rent it next weekend.

Amazon has it brand new for $37.99... that's pretty good I think, lot better than 60 bucks.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2009, 10:10:02 AM »

GF just finished the game last night , probably spent 30-40 hours on the game so far, including the time trials. It's a great game, and a novel approach that I heartily approve of and can only recommend it!

The new timetrials though...try the free one first, because for some reason, the removed the "city" part of the graphics, and it looks like merely the building blocks of the game design have been used, due to time/money contraint.

A new one
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »

I don't think it was a monetary or time issue.

There were actually quite a few complaints about the original time trials and how you'd often get stuck or slowed down on items throughout the level for no good reason (a good example would be running across AC fans - sometimes you'd lose momentum and othertimes you wouldn't).

The new time trials were an attempt to appease the complainers.

I've done about 3 out of the 9 new maps and rather like what I've seen so far. Each has a unique feel and the actual courses have had some great paths.

Despite the short 'campaign', I've probably spent close to 30 hours so far with ME, and I've got at least another 10 to 15 left. Even with the sometimes clucky combat, I really love this game. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2009, 04:55:42 PM »

I'm really happy to still hear some positive buzz around this game.  I've been forcing myself to play through the rest of Bioshock before starting another new game, and while I'm terribly anxious to play Mirror's Edge, I still haven't taken the plastic wrap off my copy yet for fear of getting sucked in and once again forgetting about Bioshock for a while. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2009, 06:00:24 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 09, 2009, 04:55:42 PM

I'm really happy to still hear some positive buzz around this game.  I've been forcing myself to play through the rest of Bioshock before starting another new game, and while I'm terribly anxious to play Mirror's Edge, I still haven't taken the plastic wrap off my copy yet for fear of getting sucked in and once again forgetting about Bioshock for a while. 

Well, the good news is if you do stray, the game isn't terribly long.  That being said, I absolutely loved it.  I also absolutely loved Bioshock, so you can't go wrong either way.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2009, 06:05:14 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 09, 2009, 06:00:24 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on March 09, 2009, 04:55:42 PM

Well, the good news is if you do stray, the game isn't terribly long.  That being said, I absolutely loved it.  I also absolutely loved Bioshock, so you can't go wrong either way.

I hear people saying how short Mirror's Edge is, but some have said they've put in 20 hours or more into the game.  For me, that's not very short.  Some have even said that Bioshock is rather short.  I've had it since release day and still haven't finished it.  Yeah, I stepped away from it for a while, but even playing pretty regularly lately I'm still only to Fort Frolic and I believe that's only a hair beyond halfway.  Which is why I keep myself from starting Mirror's Edge because I doubt it's going to be as short for me as it may have been for others.  The Bourne Conspiracy was pretty short as well, but it still took me a few weeks to finish it.   

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2009, 06:06:51 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 09, 2009, 06:05:14 PM

I hear people saying how short Mirror's Edge is, but some have said they've put in 20 hours or more into the game.  For me, that's not very short.  Some have even said that Bioshock is rather short.  I've had it since release day and still haven't finished it.  Yeah, I stepped away from it for a while, but even playing pretty regularly lately I'm still only to Fort Frolic and I believe that's only a hair beyond halfway.  Which is why I keep myself from starting Mirror's Edge because I doubt it's going to be as short for me as it may have been for others.  The Bourne Conspiracy was pretty short as well, but it still took me a few weeks to finish it.   

Let me qualify that.  The story mode is short.  However, you can get much more gameplay out of it (I have done some of the trials and such and plan on doing more) if you want.  Depends on how much you might be into trying to do speed run ties and trying to get them shorter and shorter.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2009, 03:23:08 AM »

Thanks for the price tip.  I'm all over this for $38! 

I also want Bioshock so I'll get one for my birthday smile

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 11, 2009, 03:23:08 AM

I'm close to finishing it and have been selling off some old games, so if you're interested in an inexpensive, used copy kept in top condition then let me know.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2009, 10:25:06 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 11, 2009, 03:00:32 PM

I'm close to finishing it and have been selling off some old games, so if you're interested in an inexpensive, used copy kept in top condition then let me know.

Sounds great.  Definitely let me know when you're ready to sell some older games. 

Chris

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2009, 10:54:49 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 11, 2009, 10:25:06 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on March 11, 2009, 03:00:32 PM

Sounds great.  Definitely let me know when you're ready to sell some older games. 

Chris

There's several on the block already.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »

Having always been intrigued in the game, I finally had a free weekend and decided to power through it...

And I completed it when focusing on it on a Thursday after work, Friday after work, and Saturday morning.

It was pretty good. But it could have been great (which I guess is the standard line for most reviews for it).

I beat it without firing a shot, so it was frustrating at parts. The combat was clunky, but once I got the timing of the disarm move, it got a little less annoying. Still, probably it's weakest part. That and it's "puzzle" solving aspect. The game was breathtaking when it FORCED you to run. To quickly think on your toes. I'd say it was worthy of a rental, but be prepared for some annoyance...

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »

I started playing this last night and some parts can be kinda frustrating as sometimes the ledge or pipe you need to grab is right in your face as she refuses to grab it and you fall to your death. Another thing I'm noticing is the jump button doesn't always respond, and it's definitely not my controller as I tried other games after noticing it and the trigger is working fine in those games.

Still, I'm having fun. The blues seem to show up a bit too quickly at times, but I'm trying to complete the game without firing a shot.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2009, 08:44:35 AM »

OK, how the hell is it easier to grab a pistol than it is to grab a shotgun or MP5 for disarms?  the latter two give you a much bigger target to grab yet I cannot seem to pull off a disarm against a blue with either one.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »

This is pretty cool:

http://www.videosift.com/video/Real-Life-Mirror-s-Edge

...especially when you see the shadows and realize the camera's not strapped to his head, so he only has one frickin' hand free!

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »

Thanks for the price tip.  I'm all over this for $38! 

You should check Cheapassgamer. AMazon had it for 20.00 not too long ago...
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2009, 07:51:30 PM »

I picked Mirror's Edge up last week and started playing it yesterday, I'm loving it so far after 2-3 hours of play time. The gameplay feels so fresh and running away from the cops is exciting given the spontaneity of the gameplay. It also proves to be exhilarating in some areas where you're taking huge leaps at incredible heights. The combat is definitely the game's weak point but it's not hampering the overall gameplay for me, and I'm relishing in the game's futuristic settings.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »

Man, I keep forgetting I have this sitting on my shelf still in its shrinkwrap.  I've been so caught up on Fable 2 that I haven't even looked at my game shelf in over a month.  I think this is next on my play list. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2009, 04:17:46 PM »

Its a great game, and actually for once an innovative one from a large developer...Cant wait to see Mirrors Edge 2, and what else will spring from this kind of game

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »

I got bored and traded it back in while I could still get decent credit for it.  I figure I'll keep the save game files and eventually Gamefly it.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2009, 07:00:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2009, 04:37:09 PM

I got bored and traded it back in while I could still get decent credit for it.  I figure I'll keep the save game files and eventually Gamefly it.

play the timetrials...thats where the real fun is, Ceekay

A new one
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2009, 04:37:09 PM

Me too.  I had extremely high hopes for it but the trial-and-errorness of it, which is off the charts, knocked it down several notches.  I too may rent it some day or wait for a $10 inevitable sale to pick it up, beat it, and then sell it. 

This game most definitely falls under the category, for me, of loving the IDEA of the game much more than the actual gameplay.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2009, 05:25:09 AM »

Just finished this tonight and generally loved it.  There were some significant negatives: the combat was crap as was the story, especially when you're forced to fight, the cutscenes reminded me of Esurance and I think I died more times in this game than in any other.

But when the game is firing on all cylinders it's fantastic.  There were some spots late in the game where I was pulling off moves fluidly and thinking "That used to be so difficult.  I can't believe I just did that!"

And the art style was just wonderful.  When I could, I'd enjoy just looking around outside at all the bright colors.  It's the anti-Blade Runner as far as the environment goes.

Length was fine.  Any longer and it would have worn out its welcome.

Great game and a solid B+ for me.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2009, 08:01:08 AM »

Wow what a coincidence... I just picked this up from Amazon myself for 20 bucks and so far it seems like a really well done game.  I love the graphical style.

I don't know why this game got a bad rap and reviews?  For $20 it seems really good.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 18, 2009, 08:01:08 AM

I don't know why this game got a bad rap and reviews?  For $20 it seems really good.

I played it for the first time recently as well. My issue with it i the puzzle aspect of having to figure out how the designer's want you to get somewhere. Instead of having a true open world, in many places there is pretty much only one path despite what you think you can do.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2009, 11:05:47 AM »

The problems are mostly related to the forced combat at certain points, and the fact that many parts of the game require you to have perfect knowledge of the level in order to survive, and you don't have enough time to do that without dying repeatedly while trying to figure things out. A game like this needs to allow you to improvise, not force you to win by trial and failure.

I also dislike the pixel perfect jump mechanics, though they work well enough in the story mode. Try the speed challenges and you'll find yourself cursing loudly at the screen.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2009, 11:26:28 AM »

Ok I can see what both of you are saying there, it's certainly true.

I guess from my viewpoint, even though I've only played about 4-5 hours so far it's very clear to me that this is not an "open world" game whatsover... it's very much a linear trial and error gameplay design on purpose.  Kind of like a platform puzzler.  With that in mind, I feel it works very well (so far).

It's definitely meant to be a game where you will screw up several times and re-load.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2009, 01:13:28 PM »

Yeah not an open world and shouldn't even be compared to one.  It's a platformer.  More first-person Mario with a cool environment and some really frustrating fighting.

I did like the fact that the guns you take only have about 5 bullets in them so you can't just blow away all the enemies you see.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »

My problems have  nothing to do with it not being an open world.  My problems were:

1) Combat itself was poor and not fun

2) Too many arenas where you you are being bombareded with shots but  have no idea the route to take to get out, making for frustrating trial and error gameplay until you discover the route the game wanted you to go.

3)  Level design got quite stale after a while

4) Utterly banal story.  Really felt like a missed opportunity.

I did enjoy the game and I think they did a fantastic job of making a first person platformer but it had major issues.  I hope they get to make Mirror's Edge 2 and maybe fix a lot of that stuff. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2009, 03:31:27 PM »

I really loved the game, too, and couldn't quite understand the negative comments/reviews.  I can see that the problems Kevin just mentioned are in there for example (except for the level design one - I thought the levels were interesting and beautiful), , and I did think the combat was the weakest part of the game, by far, but none of it was a problem for me, as far as the overall game goes. 

The story was another part of the gameplay, to me.  In the sense that everything was paced and any more story would have bogged it down.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2009, 03:34:35 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 18, 2009, 03:31:27 PM

The story was another part of the gameplay, to me.  In the sense that everything was paced and any more story would have bogged it down.

I should clarify- I didn't really want more cutscenes or anything but I think Mirror's Edge is an example of they type of game that would have really benefited from the Half-Life style of telling a story through the environment itself. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2009, 03:34:35 PM

I should clarify- I didn't really want more cutscenes or anything but I think Mirror's Edge is an example of they type of game that would have really benefited from the Half-Life style of telling a story through the environment itself. 

Ah, I can see that.  I probably would have preferred that to the E*surance style.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 18, 2009, 03:55:21 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2009, 03:34:35 PM

Ah, I can see that.  I probably would have preferred that to the E*surance style.

Yeah I do agree with that.  I'm not a big fan of those flat comic style cutscenes in any game.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2009, 07:39:06 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 18, 2009, 11:26:28 AM

it's very much a linear trial and error gameplay design on purpose.  Kind of like a platform puzzler.  With that in mind, I feel it works very well (so far).

It's definitely meant to be a game where you will screw up several times and re-load.

Give me a rewind mechanic and I probably would have loved the game. If I lots of gaming time I would probably be more forgiving, but with my limited time I don't to spend it all reloading and redoing the part leading up to the trouble spot a dozen times until I figure out what the game wants me to do. I probably should give it more time, but there are too many other options for me to frustrate myself on this one.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2009, 07:47:09 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 18, 2009, 07:39:06 PM

Quote from: KePoW on October 18, 2009, 11:26:28 AM

it's very much a linear trial and error gameplay design on purpose.  Kind of like a platform puzzler.  With that in mind, I feel it works very well (so far).

Give me a rewind mechanic and I probably would have loved the game. If I lots of gaming time I would probably be more forgiving, but with my limited time I don't to spend it all reloading and redoing the part leading up to the trouble spot a dozen times until I figure out what the game wants me to do. I probably should give it more time, but there are too many other options for me to frustrate myself on this one.

If the reload times were long, I can totally agree with you.  That would suck ass.

With the game installed on the HD though, the reloads are no more than a second long... that's why it hasn't bothered me so far.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »

Gamefly rental on PS3

Quit most of the way through Chapter 8.  The only good thing about the stairs combat was I got the It's-a me trophy for turtle stomping a guy ... during the 30+ times I played the level. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
8 guys in two man squads that you have to defeat or start all over, the last two with HMGs.
  Not fun, even moreso than the boat level previous.

So I put it back in its envelope, and will be sending it back on its merry way to GameFly tomorrow.  Off to YouTube to watch the rest of the game. 

I'd give a sequel a look if they do something about the combat.  I honestly was hoping to be able to do the entire thing without resorting to gunfire.  After all, you're a messenger, not Rambo. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: