http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 05:07:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minecraft Succession - GT Style  (Read 14948 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: September 25, 2010, 06:52:15 PM »

Nice temple. What made you decide to do something like that, CeeKay?

And I really can't wait for multiplayer. Yeah, it mostly works now short of mobs, but oh man some of the things that people have created are just crazy.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 25, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 25, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Nice temple. What made you decide to do something like that, CeeKay?

orignally I was thinking of doing something akin to a flying saucer, but after laying the first few layers I did some rough calculations and it ended up loking to be more work than I wanted to put into it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 26, 2010, 12:31:59 AM »

here's pretty much the finalized water temple.  I may do a 'fire' version on the opposite side eventually:

oh, and I don't think I'm going to have any trouble finding my base beacon anymore:

Spoiler for Hiden:

yes, that's lava.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: September 26, 2010, 12:39:21 AM »

Heh, I did something very similar with the beacon tower in my personal game as well.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 26, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »

I'm going to try and finish a small project tonight (sorry Arkon, didn't have time to work on a connecting bridge) and then upload the file this evening.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: September 26, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 26, 2010, 09:45:08 PM

I'm going to try and finish a small project tonight (sorry Arkon, didn't have time to work on a connecting bridge) and then upload the file this evening.

If you want to finish it up before passing it my way, that's fine. I won't have much time to play until Tuesday as it is thanks to work.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 26, 2010, 11:37:14 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 26, 2010, 10:45:38 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 26, 2010, 09:45:08 PM

If you want to finish it up before passing it my way, that's fine. I won't have much time to play until Tuesday as it is thanks to work.

cool.  I'll upload tomorrow night then.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 27, 2010, 01:05:19 AM »

wow, apparently there was a empty space underneath my courtyard that I managed not to hit while digging the pit.  how do I know?  I was walking around the topside, suddenly I heard the hissing sound of a creeper and spinning around I saw nothing.  BOOM!  I'm back at the home base.  thinking I may have a lava emergency since I was near the beacon I quickly get some wood, put together a crafting station near the spawn point (might as well leave it there) then throw a boat together to speed back to my base.  luckily the blast missed the beacon and only left a gaping hole.  I tossed a bunch of torches up down there before sealing it off, so hopefully no more nasty surprises.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 27, 2010, 09:09:45 AM »

Quote from: Slabety on September 06, 2010, 08:13:39 PM

Hey all. I spent a few minutes and threw together a way for everyone to upload to Minecraft Resource if you want.
http://minecraftresource.com/gaming_trend_save.php
All you have to do is put in your Username as it appears here on GamingTrend and the group password is FeedTheNeed. It will upload the file and prefix your username to it and give you the link to the file which you can just put right into the post here. Let me know if anyone has trouble with it. The next time you upload it will delete the old one.

-Slabety

any chance we could put this into the first post so someone doesn't have to dig through the entire thread when they forget the info? icon_biggrin

anyways, here's the file: http://minecraftresource.com/gamingtrend/CeeKay_CeekayWorld5.zip

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 27, 2010, 01:07:10 PM »

First post has been updated to include the save game upload link.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 27, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »

cool.  I started my Fire Temple Project but didn't get it done as the idea evolved.  let's just say I'm going to need to find a good source of lava  icon_twisted

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 27, 2010, 03:05:24 PM »

oh, and hopefully Treabeard isn't around either, cause he's going to be ticked if he is.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 27, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 27, 2010, 03:00:22 PM

cool.  I started my Fire Temple Project but didn't get it done as the idea evolved.  let's just say I'm going to need to find a good source of lava  icon_twisted

If you go to my "Home away from Home", there are steps inside the main floor.  Follow those, you will eventually get to a lava lake that is pretty dang large.  Just don't use it all up.
Slabety
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: September 27, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 24, 2010, 11:35:03 PM

damn slabety, that's a speedy server you got there  thumbsup  gonna go grab some dinner, a 12 pack of beer, and then start some crafting.

Thanks. It's generally pretty fast as it is my dedicated server that sits on its own provisioned T3   icon_biggrin...

It's also interesting to note, that since I put up that form, we have used somewhere around 15Gigs of bandwidth for it.....Adds up quick.

The save is looking fantastic. Can't wait to get my hands on it again. Should have more time this time around. Hopefully.....

-Slabety
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 27, 2010, 03:39:36 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 27, 2010, 03:26:53 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 27, 2010, 03:00:22 PM

If you go to my "Home away from Home", there are steps inside the main floor.  Follow those, you will eventually get to a lava lake that is pretty dang large.  Just don't use it all up.

I uncovered one in a cave near my base too, I just need to remember where it was.  BTW, I did get to cook up a bunch of glass blocks for the skyway if you want them.  they are in one of the chests on the first floor of my tower, and then the cookers have some in them too.  IIRC I should have one whole horizontal row in a double chest filled up, maybe more, in the chest along the wall with the single furnace that is near the stairs.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 27, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »

I really wish Notch would adopt a twist on Dwarf Fortress where you could use Lava to power furnaces indefinitely.

Perhaps if you place the furnace over top of a square of lava it powers itself..
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: September 27, 2010, 04:13:40 PM »

Remember, if all else fails, you can use wood to power the furnace. And there's infinite wood (assuming you replant it).

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 27, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 27, 2010, 04:13:40 PM

Remember, if all else fails, you can use wood to power the furnace. And there's infinite wood (assuming you replant it).

Very true, but tends to require reloading the wood frequently...but I suppose it is better than using up my entire coal reserve.
Slabety
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: September 27, 2010, 05:40:57 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 27, 2010, 04:32:29 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 27, 2010, 04:13:40 PM

Very true, but tends to require reloading the wood frequently...but I suppose it is better than using up my entire coal reserve.

I have no major projects planned for my next run. Just some tidying up and finishing my slide (hopefully). I will go tunneling for some more resources for the cause!
-Slabety
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: September 28, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »

Okay guys, it's official - I just don't have the time to work on this right now. Each time I think I'll be able to hit for a while, something happens. Mainly work.

Whoever is up next, take the helm. I didn't do anything with the world short of returning to the starting position and grabbing some wood, so it's not worth uploading over.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 29, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »

MSDuncan, you still playing?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 30, 2010, 11:43:17 AM »

Since no one is responding, and I am home today, I am gonna grab the save and re-upload today.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 30, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »

Ok, my mouse is begging for a break after having laid down about 1600 glass blocks and at least half as many stone blocks.  I started some strip mining, netted about 250 redstone, 9 diamonds, 30 iron and a bunch of coal that I have used up mostly.  Zipping up the save now.  Did not get screenshots.

My skywalk is out to the slide and almost fully around it.  From the sky bridge you can see CeeKay's water temple.  Ran out of glass before I could make it there.  There are also still 3 or 4 branches of the skywalk that go nowhere currently, just heading in the direction of some cool mountain formations that could be used for additional base areas.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 30, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »

Slabety, I had trouble uploading to minecraftresource, it died on me sometime in the middle of uploading.  I don't have a great connection, so maybe it was on my end.  Anyways, put it up on my dropbox account...hopefully this will work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12355176/World5.zip
Slabety
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: September 30, 2010, 10:19:42 PM »

Maybe the account hit the bandwidth max.....I'll check when I get home and up it if need.be. No one else is responding so should I grab it next then?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 30, 2010, 10:26:58 PM »

Quote from: Slabety on September 30, 2010, 10:19:42 PM

Maybe the account hit the bandwidth max.....I'll check when I get home and up it if need.be. No one else is responding so should I grab it next then?

Go for it.
Slabety
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: September 30, 2010, 11:21:33 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 30, 2010, 04:54:41 PM

Slabety, I had trouble uploading to minecraftresource, it died on me sometime in the middle of uploading.  I don't have a great connection, so maybe it was on my end.  Anyways, put it up on my dropbox account...hopefully this will work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12355176/World5.zip

I modified the timeouts again. The bandwidth limit is nowhere close to being reached and neither is the HDD space allotted for that domain. The only thing I can figure is that your internet was slow enough to still hit the elevated time limits that I placed. If you want, go ahead and try it at your next opportunity and see if it works. Let me know.

-Slabety
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 30, 2010, 11:50:36 PM »

you have to remember where Arkon lives they use field mice to move the packets, so he needs extra time  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 30, 2010, 11:58:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 30, 2010, 11:50:36 PM

you have to remember where Arkon lives they use field mice to move the packets, so he needs extra time  icon_twisted

Something close to that...I think I was getting about 50k/sec on the upload.  I max out at about 200k/sec down from your server.  My internet sucks.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: October 01, 2010, 12:19:12 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 30, 2010, 04:20:40 PM

Ok, my mouse is begging for a break after having laid down about 1600 glass blocks and at least half as many stone blocks.  I started some strip mining, netted about 250 redstone, 9 diamonds, 30 iron and a bunch of coal that I have used up mostly.  Zipping up the save now.  Did not get screenshots.

My skywalk is out to the slide and almost fully around it.  From the sky bridge you can see CeeKay's water temple.  Ran out of glass before I could make it there.  There are also still 3 or 4 branches of the skywalk that go nowhere currently, just heading in the direction of some cool mountain formations that could be used for additional base areas.

1600 glass blocks? Wow. That had to have taken forever. And you dug up one heck of a beach. biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:18 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 01, 2010, 12:19:12 AM

1600 glass blocks? Wow. That had to have taken forever. And you dug up one heck of a beach. biggrin

Well CeeKay had somewhere around 500 glass blocks at his base that I pilfered, and yeah I have decimated a beach near my base pretty badly.  I will try and get a screen shot.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:55 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 01, 2010, 12:19:12 AM

getting all that sand must have been a real beach.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »

I just fired up the save.  all totaled between ones in the chest and ones being cooked up there were about 23 stacks of 64 glass there.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 01, 2010, 12:24:55 AM »

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you guys are playing round robin instead of putting the map on a server so you can work on it simultaneously?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 01, 2010, 12:26:43 AM »

In this shot, the stone area used to be covered in sand about 10 blocks high.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 01, 2010, 12:28:47 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 01, 2010, 12:24:55 AM

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you guys are playing round robin instead of putting the map on a server so you can work on it simultaneously?

SMP is still pretty buggy and is missing a few key features that single player has.
Slabety
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: October 01, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »

I spent some time trying to get this Google Maps powered view of our map (full with zooming and moving around). After some tinkering I did finally get it to work correctly. Check it out below:

http://minecraftresource.com/gamingtrend/overview/index.html

Looks pretty cool. We have a ton of unused space in the mountains. May have to look into taking care of that problem and build something over there. As far as the save goes. I got the slide done, still needs some tweaking though. Boats still break every now and then and the corners aren't perfect. I have also been making a lot of stone and glass to work on the skywalk a bit. Post up some pics tonight and I'll upload tomorrow night.

-Slabety
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 01, 2010, 03:08:21 PM »

I can't find my place on there.

icon_wink

Because I can,
Slabety
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: October 02, 2010, 04:57:31 AM »

Ok. Here are a few minor update images of the slide. All I got right now, spent a lot of time smelting more stuff for the skywalk and exploring some of the caves in the mountains.

A view of the complete projected from the side.

Front.

Parts added to complete and throw you near the entrance.

I did successfully make it down the slide with a new boat. After a time or two the boat will break as of right now. I will eventually fix some of the corners to be a little smoother and easier on the boat (for now just kind of steer with the boat as you go). I'll upload the save tomorrow evening. Goals for tomorrow are simply to build more of the skywalk and get more resources collected. I have a few very minor projects in mind but we'll see how much time I get.
Slabety
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: October 03, 2010, 12:58:24 AM »

OK,

I was able to cleanup the slide a bit more. Just need to modify the turns to make them a little more "speed friendly". Will work on this my next time through. I was able to collect a good bit of resources to continue the sky-bridge as well (although didn't really work on building it too much).

Picture of the resources waiting. Pretty much took out two more beaches and working on a 3rd (the 3rd one is rather huge). Should take a while to deplete that one. I pretty much tossed more stuff in the ovens every time I needed to run back to the base for anything. Unfortunately, we are running low on coal. I found a decent amount but it is used in smelting and there are over 150 torches on standby for the sky-bridge too.

I planted some trees at the home away from home so there would be access to some wood if need be. I had to run to the other side of the hill the two times I needed to get some wood. Felt this was quicker :-).

Initial official release of the slide. This is a view of it from the sky-bridge. I went ahead and connected the top of the slide with the bridge as well for easy access. Added some mood lighting and removed any stone (that were obvious) that didn't need to be there. I tidied up the water a little as well and re-formed some of the flow issues it had (there are still some to deal with). It IS fully functional but as I said earlier, chance of boat breaking are fairly high due to the turns not being wide enough. I made it through couple of times by steering the boat with it. I want it to be fully automatic though so you don't have to control it.

I also added a secret room in the home away from home. 100,000 internets to the first person to find it. icon_biggrin

Here is the save link at my site:

http://minecraftresource.com/gamingtrend/Slabety_World5.zip

The issues you saw Arkon must be related to your internet connection. I havent really change anything (except increased the timeouts slightly) but it seems to be working. Hopefully it will work for you next time. I did, however, notice a rather stupid issue with the uploader. I'm checking username and password after the POST occurs. That means it uploads the entire file to the server and THEN checks username and password. Will throw you to the page to upload again and throw the entire download away if either of them are wrong. Of course, I know this from actually doing so when uploading this time.....Will be fixed by the next time someone has to upload.

I will update the map in the overview link that I posted earlier shortly with the new version of the map. Will post again once it's done. Arkon, If I may suggest updating your post with the things we all know about in case outsiders to this thread want to see. Like with a link to the overview that I posted so everyone can see the current state of the save without going through the whole thread looking for posts as I intend to update those maps every time someone posts a new upload. I intend on making the server do it on submit eventually, but for some reason my server hates running python scripts that use multi-threading. Just a thought though.

-Slabety
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: