http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 11:10:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Might & Magic X : Legacy  (Read 7267 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »

Anyone tried it out yet?  I updated Steam on my old machine and was this close to clicking buy but I figure I can wait for some impressions.  Although $40 is pretty reasonable.  

I did find one actual non-ubisoft promo video on Youtube.  Too bad I don't understand German.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfHocjwH1J0

I do find it funny what doesn't have a translation.  Apparently there is no German equivalent to "Tile Based" 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:23:30 PM by farley2k » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »

I can tell you the game seems strong, what concerns me is how much do you get for the $30 you spend right now.  It's only a % of the final game and I worry about it being too little.  It's only 4 of 12 classes for example.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 09:04:02 PM »

Haven't played too much as I'm working but its rough around the edges. Here's my initial thoughts/experiences:

- Character creation menus need a little TLC. Is a bit confusing on what points do when you assign them to skills - and unclear how many skill points your skills have in them
- Skill points in this build don't matter much since most skills are greyed out and you're really only given a few choices per character class
- Can't change your character names in this build. Argh!
- The intro is waaay too wordy with a bunch of crap that isn't interesting. All I needed to know was the very end "A group of adventurers arrive on shore in a new town"
- Game looks terrible! Graphics are muddy. But oooooh the swaying grass and rolling water looks nice.
- Ah ha! Game was at some odd low resolution. But what's this they don't even list 1680x1050 as drop-down menu choice!
- 10 minutes of fiddling around found the config files to manually enter in 1680x1050 resolution
- Ah ha! Game looks a lot better now! No more muddy graphics. But there are jaggies. Don't think AA or AF is implemented
- This is classic old school M&M with the grid-based movement but updated in the graphics department. I like.
- Apparently the voice dialogue isn't in the game (yet?) so have to read text
- Neat. There are day and night cycles. However it just went from dusk to night in like 10 steps.
- People leave lots of chests around the town
- Armor and weapons are expensive. There's also an option to repair them so I guess they can break.
- First quest is to kill spiders or rats, not sure. Text said one thing but quest says another.
- Where the hell is this well?
- Another unlocked chest
- Found the well and headed down in to the dungeon

Back to work.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on August 19, 2013, 09:04:02 PM

Haven't played too much as I'm working but its rough around the edges. Here's my initial thoughts/experiences:

- Character creation menus need a little TLC. Is a bit confusing on what points do when you assign them to skills - and unclear how many skill points your skills have in them
- Skill points in this build don't matter much since most skills are greyed out and you're really only given a few choices per character class
- The intro is waaay too wordy with a bunch of crap that isn't interesting. All I needed to know was the very end "A group of adventurers arrive on shore in a new town"
- Game looks terrible! Graphics are muddy. But oooooh the swaying grass and rolling water looks nice.
- Ah ha! Game was at some odd low resolution. But what's this they don't even list 1680x1050 as drop-down menu choice!
- 10 minutes of fiddling around found the config files to manually enter in 1680x1050 resolution
- Ah ha! Game looks a lot better now! No more muddy graphics. But there are jaggies. Don't think AA or AF is implemented
- This is classic old school M&M with the grid-based movement but updated in the graphics department. I like.
- Neat. There are day and night cycles. However it just went from dusk to night in like 10 steps.
- Armor and weapons are expensive. There's also an option to repair them so I guess they can break.
- First quest is to kill spiders or rats, not sure. Text said one thing but quest says another.
- Another unlocked chest

Back to work.

Can you tell me where the config file is saved?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 06:15:23 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 20, 2013, 01:25:17 PM

Quote from: Crawley on August 19, 2013, 09:04:02 PM

- Another unlocked chest

Back to work.

Can you tell me where the config file is saved?

There's two of them and I'm not sure which one did it. I made changes on both. Doing this from memory as I'm not near my home computer at the moment:

There's one in Steam\steamapps\common\mightandmagicx\<some other folder>

I can't recall the name of the folder you go to in your M&MX install directory but it has all the langauge folders in it. The config file is named configoptions.cfg or something along those lines.

The other one is in your Libraries\Documents\mightandmagicx folder. Same config file name but I think its sitting right there in the main folder.

The first lines of the config file are width/height which you enter in your resolution. When you go in the game and look at the video options it'll still have that crazy resolution shown but when you enter the actual game it will be whatever resolution you set in the config.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 01:28:54 PM »

I fired it up for the first time last night and I'm not sure if they already patched it or not but the game let me set the resolution to 1920X1080 without editing anything.

I played it for about 15 minutes and it's definitely not finished (as we knew) but the game has potential. My first wish is that they would make it easier to tell what each building's function is without actually having to walk into it. Mark it on the map or put a sign out front. Because I couldn't find the Inn or my first destination for the opening quest.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »

Also, screw you Uplay. Why do I have to update you and launch the game through Uplay if I bought the game on Steam? Ugh!  crybaby

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »

It's not a Steamworks game, they are just using Steam as a secondary delivery system.

Graph paper maps for buildings, it's old school yo!  ninja
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »

There's a new Might and Magic game and it's old school? There are not enough expletives to express how properly my mind has been blown.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 21, 2013, 01:56:55 PM

It's not a Steamworks game, they are just using Steam as a secondary delivery system.

I love old school. But I'm not 14 playing the game in my Mom's basement anymore. I don't have time for graphing.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 06:19:54 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 21, 2013, 03:39:39 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on August 21, 2013, 01:56:55 PM

I love old school. But I'm not 14 playing the game in my Mom's basement anymore. I don't have time for graphing.

The M key brings up the map.

But I don't think it identified which buildings are what. Just which ones you can enter. So that part they need to fix by putting some text on the map indicating which each door is. Given the quickness of the day/night cycles you kinda want to go to the right building without having to wander around. But I'm hoping the day/night cycle speed is just for this early build as it kinda sucks.

Also I don't think there is a way to run from combat. Which is pretty crummy if things go wrong.

And I'm finding weapons breaking way too quickly. I basically got outside the city and had my first battle where my ranger broke her bow. I finish the battle and head back to town to repair - for 75 gold!. Then in the next battle another characters armor breaks. Another 75 gold! And a few battles later another characters weapon breaks. No way those weapons should be breaking that quickly. Spent most of my time back-tracking to repair and going broke. Each battle I was getting like 5 gold. They either need to take out the need to repair or tone it way down where weapons/armor may break after doing the equivalent usage of 3-4 dungeons.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 12:20:38 AM »

Ok. Looks like you can edit the config to take away one of my complaints and maybe a second one. You can edit the config to change the day/night cycles:

minutesPerTurnOutdoor = 3
minutesPerTurnCity = 1
minutesPerTurnDungeon = 1

Before it was set to 15/5/5.

And there's a config option titled brokenItemMalusNormal/brokenItemMalusHard that I'm suspecting controls how often items break. The "Hard" value was much lower and I'm playing on Hard so suspect I'm getting those item breaks more frequently. So I changed it to the Normal value and will see how it goes. There's actually a lot of stuff you could change in that fine including prices, critical hit changes, how many points you get on leveling.

I won't be changing those things but glad there is a way to fix  this day/night and breakage thing. Honestly if this doesn't fix the breakage issue I'll set that thing to 0. Stupid inclusion.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »

I like the option to change things around at least. Yeah, this might be just because 'it's in beta and it allows the users to fiddle with things and report on it', but it might carry over to the final game as well.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »

Here are the details on the game's first patch.  It looks like it will deal with many of the reported issues, such as the speed of the day/night cycle, item breakage, accidentally removing icons from the hotbar, and more.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »

Do I want to help beta test this out or not...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 04, 2013, 02:45:49 PM

It's certainly playable. But rough in areas.

Two issues I have with the game are fixed via editing the config files: day/night cycles are way too fast, items break too easily in Warrior mode.

I noticed these two issues will be fixed in the upcoming patch - the item break one in particular looks like it will have a better fix than what you can currently do in the config file.

I've only run in to two things I would consider major bugs, both of which I was able to fix on my own:

1) There was no resolution setting choice for 1680 x 1050 (fixed by editing config files)
2) One time when I saved it created a save file that prevented me from saving again. The fix was as easy as locating the save folder and deleting that odd save file. It wasn't a huge deal as the auto-save still worked and I made sure that kicked off before I deleted the corrupt save so didn't lose any progress.

Anything else I've encountered is basically lack of polish at this stage: monsters that get stuck in scenery where you can't see them but they can attack you (you can attack back), item names that still have code in them, when items break its sometimes not even an item you are using (e.g. swing a sword and your crossbow breaks).

One of the big complaints, outside of the game still using UPLAY which is valid but get over it people, is that this is grid based movement with turn-based actions rather than free-flow movement with real-time action. MMX is heavily based on the Might & Magic 1-5 games - not 6+. So the retro gameplay has turned those off expecting something else.

Other than that the game is playable. I put 7hrs in to it so far, probably about 5 of those playing in Warrior mode before switching over to the easier Adventure mode, and at this point have not run out of content. I have at least one more dungeon to go through and not sure if there's another after that. For me its pretty fun but trying not to get too far in to as I know I'll be starting over once the full release comes out.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on September 04, 2013, 07:39:50 PM

One of the big complaints, outside of the game still using UPLAY which is valid but get over it people, is that this is grid based movement with turn-based actions rather than free-flow movement with real-time action. MMX is heavily based on the Might & Magic 1-5 games - not 6+. So the retro gameplay has turned those off expecting something else.

I've been noticing that and frankly am shocked - they said from the beginning that this was going to be by design like the old M&M games. Tile and turn based. And because of it, I was so totally excited. This is what I grew up with. Why I loved Legend of Grimrock so much too (as it was the old Eye of Beholder and Dungeon Master feel).

I swear all these old school games are so the way to go with things. biggrin

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2013, 01:17:20 AM »

I've only run in to two things I would consider major bugs, both of which I was able to fix on my own:

1) There was no resolution setting choice for 1680 x 1050 (fixed by editing config files)

I changed the reolution in the config file found in the game directory found in the "My Documents" folder, but it doesn't work; the screen displays the game wrong. Is there somewhere else I need to change the resolution, too?

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2013, 01:45:26 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on September 05, 2013, 01:17:20 AM

I changed the reolution in the config file found in the game directory found in the "My Documents" folder, but it doesn't work; the screen displays the game wrong. Is there somewhere else I need to change the resolution, too?

In My Documents there's one config file and then there's another config file where you can change the resolution in the Steam install directory for the game: \Steam\steamapps\common\Might & Magic X - Legacy\Might and Magic X Legacy_Data\StreamingAssets
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2013, 01:58:42 AM »

Yeah, that one has the res set at 0, even after I set it in-game. When I set the the res in the "My Documents" folder, it screwed up the res, and it wouldn't work even after I changed the res back in the file. It was weird.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »

The first official patch is out now.  It adds an item compare system, slows down the progression of time, fixes item breakage, and includes four more classes - Scout, Druid, Mercenary, and Shaman.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »

Ubisoft has announced the release date for the full version of the game - January 23  icon_biggrin

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2013, 12:31:04 AM »

It's a long time coming. With the Early Access I hadn't expected it to take 5 months before the full game was released. So I guess it really was early on.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »

where's this stand?  Is it the full game yet?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 24, 2014, 04:08:14 PM

where's this stand?  Is it the full game yet?

The full game was released yesterday. It came a long way during the beta, but it is still very old school in design. One thing that bothers me is that there is no windowed mode and if you minimize the screen to look at another window the game crashes.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »

mine alt-tabs just fine fwiw
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 24, 2014, 05:03:02 PM

mine alt-tabs just fine fwiw

Maybe it doesn't like me then.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2014, 07:17:21 PM »

Reviews

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/24/might-and-magic-10-legacy-review-one-square-at-a-time/

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/might-and-magic-x-legacy-review/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-22-might-and-magic-10-legacy-review

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »

they say mostly positive things and it ends up with a 73?  reviews are weird

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2014, 08:22:23 PM »

This is one of the best games I've played in a long time. Yes, I love the old Might & Magic games, and yes, this is clearly oldschool and a dear, dear tribute to those old games, but man - its a great game!

A new one
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2014, 08:27:23 PM »

Gah, I just got some codes to do a giveaway, and so many of you already bought it!   I'm going to try to spin up the giveaway asap.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 24, 2014, 08:27:23 PM

Gah, I just got some codes to do a giveaway, and so many of you already bought it!   I'm going to try to spin up the giveaway asap.  smile

Um, I didn't buy it yet (hint, hint).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »

Well if staff are eligible I would toss my hat in the ring.

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »

I'm thinking about getting this weekend.  I'm in the mood for more Might and Magic. 

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »

thumbsup
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2014, 11:02:24 PM »

I bought it, but my fiancee would still like it. slywink
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2014, 05:48:46 AM »

Yeah, this is much improved from the initial early access release. I played as much as a could during the first phase of that but stayed away after the patches came out. Still in the same areas I covered in early access but its so much better. It looks a lot better to me overall but the big thing is removing all the annoyances. I've done two dungeons now and haven't had a single item break! Before you were getting items breaking every few battles. The vendors now restock with new items. There the largest improvement is there are not enemies attacking you every 10 steps.

I'm really looking forward to moving out of the early access area. Have at least one more dungeon to do then I'm good to go.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 24, 2014, 08:51:27 PM

Um, I didn't buy it yet (hint, hint).
Ditto..
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2014, 01:27:11 AM »

Add one more who's interested in an MMX giveaway and doesn't have the game.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2014, 06:08:33 AM »

So I finally start doing some new dungeons and advancing the main quest when I find out I can't progress any further. There's an option to go to an "Elemental Forge" but the text is greyed out so you can't go there.

Turns out its copy protection. The problem is I purchased the game during early access so I should not be running in to this. The support solution is to delete the game and all your saves and start over. Nice. So I found the other, hacker solution, which is to comment out a few lines in one of the files. It worked and am able to continue on the game. But totally peeved I had to resort to that for a legit purchase.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: