http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:19:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/XB1/360/Ps3/Ps4] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 696 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:38:09 PM »

just announced, it is set as a prequel to Lord of the Rings. 

While many previous games set in Middle-earth have revolved around the major events or characters depicted in Tolkien's books, Shadow of Mordor offers a new chapter that fits comfortably between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Players control a lone ranger by the name of Talion as he journeys deep into the heart of Mordor in the days before it transforms into a blasted hellscape. Along the way, developer Monolith is exploring a fascinating next-gen approach to enemies, encounters, and storytelling, one in which every player shapes their own story through the choices they make. The Nemesis System assures that every enemy you fight is a named foe, and if they survive their battle with you, they continue to grow, improve, and act in the world, even as you attempt to do the same with Talion. Our cover story recounts our extensive look at the game in action, from combat and leveling to story and setting.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:40:15 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »

You play a resurrected ranger wight with magical superpowers... right. How is this Lord of the Rings again?

Note: I'm very sensitive to games that completely break LOTR lore. The only one that has managed to treat the setting respectfully so far is Lord of the Rings Online, at least in my opinion. This sounds like it's going to be the worst of the bunch. Well okay, it won't be able to beat that Battlefield-thingy where you started out by doing 30-hit combos on Sauron with a flaming sword. That one takes the cake.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »

maybe he was found as a child and raised by the Barrow wights, who taught him fireball, lightning bolt and haste.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »

It's Monolith, so I am hoping they do a good job of it.  Plus, I want to see what they can do with the next gen versions

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:27 PM »

hmmm.. I wonder if there will be some lawyering over this.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 07:58:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 12, 2013, 05:41:11 PM

You play a resurrected ranger wight with magical superpowers... right. How is this Lord of the Rings again?

Note: I'm very sensitive to games that completely break LOTR lore. The only one that has managed to treat the setting respectfully so far is Lord of the Rings Online, at least in my opinion. This sounds like it's going to be the worst of the bunch. Well okay, it won't be able to beat that Battlefield-thingy where you started out by doing 30-hit combos on Sauron with a flaming sword. That one takes the cake.

I can't vouch for LOTRO as i have never played it(but that's good that it is like that)

I have to put forward 'The Fellowship of the Ring' game that was released in about 2002,but then they couldn't do the sequel(even though it was planned and they had started with art work) as EA came along with the official movie games,whereas The FOTR was officially from the 'Tolkien Estate' side of things rather than Warner/movies side of things

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:58:30 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 12, 2013, 05:58:00 PM

It's Monolith, so I am hoping they do a good job of it. 

that's what I'm hoping.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »

There are some details from Game Informer here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 01:52:11 AM »

Is this being developed for next gen systems or just ported to them?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 03:28:00 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 13, 2013, 01:52:11 AM

Is this being developed for next gen systems or just ported to them?

good point.  if the former, then I am hopeful.  if the latter, than less so.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 03:49:04 AM »

Given how early in development this seems to be, I can't imagine it's not built for next-gen.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 01:39:34 AM »

Instead of wraith powers they should have given him the mercantile powers of a hobbit trader.  The game would be an equal mix of 3rd person action rpg mixed with managing an expanding business.  In addition to overcoming the dark forces of mordor, he also has to weather a recession in the increasingly litigious world of Middle Earth.    
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 02:42:51 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 12, 2013, 07:58:17 PM

I can't vouch for LOTRO as i have never played it(but that's good that it is like that)

It is free to play now.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »

new gameplay video

I like the approach they are taking with the enemy henchmen and the system of followers.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 05:35:20 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 23, 2014, 04:50:44 PM

new gameplay video

I like the approach they are taking with the enemy henchmen and the system of followers.

Yeah, that video makes the game look cool.  Not sure why they felt they needed the LOTRO license (other than it maybe guarantees some purchases on it alone and they have the license), but this also would have been cool in its own universe.  I am definitely interested in it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 03:02:24 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 23, 2014, 05:35:20 PM

Quote from: Caine on January 23, 2014, 04:50:44 PM

new gameplay video

Yeah, that video makes the game look cool.  Not sure why they felt they needed the LOTRO license (other than it maybe guarantees some purchases on it alone and they have the license), but this also would have been cool in its own universe.  I am definitely interested in it.

Video looks great!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »

The release date has been announced - October 7.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »

New trailer

the VO work sounds decent so far. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 02:27:11 PM »

This game looks awesome, I'm looking forward to it!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »

Here's a preview impression from about an hour's worth of play. 

http://kotaku.com/the-new-lotr-game-made-me-fight-dirty-1579398746

Turning henchmen into allies against the bosses sounds fun as hell.  I love the idea of slowly taking out an army from the inside.  The nemesis system and weapon enhancements sound like a great addition to the genre and make it a lot more immersive than simply working through a list of enemies.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 01:07:13 AM »

I'm in for any game that gives me an ability or power to screw with the AI.  I could easily lose an hour in Oblivion using the rage spell on npcs and watching madness break out.  If this game lets me turn orcs against each other, or mind-meld a troll and watch it rampage on it's former allies, I'm all in.     

I can't imagine the main character being welcomed by the good races of Middle Earth with that kind of power.  He's part wraith, right?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 04:30:24 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 23, 2014, 01:07:13 AM

I can't imagine the main character being welcomed by the good races of Middle Earth with that kind of power.  He's part wraith, right?

Don't worry too much about the lore. This game has about as much to do with Tolkien's Middle-earth as Game of Thrones has with Xena. It's a hugely expensive fanfic that should have been written for a D&D setting instead, because this is about as far as you can get from The Lord of the Rings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: