http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 07:38:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft: Xbox Live Arcade door is to open indies and big studios alike  (Read 290 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:07:33 PM »

from Gamasutra:

There have been legitimate questions raised in the past about whether Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade was past its prime, and if indie developers were moving away from Microsoft's digital platform, onto supposedly greener pastures like Valve's Steam and mobile app stores.

But Microsoft still wants "a really nice, eclectic mix" of games from both indies and big companies on XBLA, according to Michael Wolf, who works in marketing for XBLA at Microsoft Studios.

"It's more of a coincidence" that recent titles like Ubisoft's I Am Alive and Remedy's Alan Wake: American Nightmare blur the line between downloadable and console games. They don't presage a change in direction for the service.

"From the Microsoft Studios perspective, we've always just looked for compelling digital experiences," Wolf tells Gamasutra.

When evaluating a game, "We just want it to be fun, approachable, easy to jump into, and deliver good times," he says. "We always look for different content wherever we find it."

And when it comes to building relationships with developers, whether they're indies or big companies, "we don't really distinguish much," he says.

of course it'd be interesting to see the small indie studio side of things, and see if they feel the same way.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:39:03 PM »

I won't be surprised if MS opens it up more - they've always been Developer friendly and they even usually put their money where their mouth is in that regard. I won't be surprised if they encourage Indie's pushing products up to the next exchelon, but I also won't be surprised if they put a price point cap on them like 800 pts.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:42:01 PM »

This isn't actually news, nothing has changed.  If you read the article it isn't stating that they are opening it up to actual indies, they still require a publisher like always. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 10:47:28 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 23, 2012, 09:42:01 PM

If you read the article it isn't stating that they are opening it up to actual indies, they still require a publisher like always. 

...which can be, and often is, Microsoft working out a deal with 'actual' indies smile 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »

Quote from: kathode on March 23, 2012, 10:47:28 PM

If you read the article it isn't stating that they are opening it up to actual indies, they still require a publisher like always. 

...which can be, and often is, Microsoft working out a deal with 'actual' indies smile 

As they take 20% of the profits...

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:55:36 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 23, 2012, 11:25:52 PM

Well that's part of the trade off for having a marketplace to sell their wares on isn't it?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 01:07:34 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 24, 2012, 12:55:36 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 23, 2012, 11:25:52 PM

Well that's part of the trade off for having a marketplace to sell their wares on isn't it?

No, I was saying the 20% that is the publisher cut on top of that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: