http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:26:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft trying to kill PC gaming?  (Read 1199 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2007, 07:41:42 AM »

Title from a news blurb on VoodooExtreme, about an article written by Daily Game:
http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/006350.php

The article could drop the snarky and slightly whining tone, but it does bring up some good points.  If MS wanted to do something to underhandedly hurt PC gaming, this could be it.  Likewise, if they really wanted to keep PC gaming around, they could stand to actually put more effort into it.  Because admittedly, other OSes have started gaining a lot of ground, and gaming has traditionally been window's strong point.  Linux made a decent move on business PCs last year, Apple is poised to make a big push on the Windows market by switching to Intel chips, meaning software that was once only windows because it was too much a hassle to port to the powerPC chip could go to macs.

For example, one of the big reasons why we don't see direct Mac version is a lot of high profile games is that the middleware they use, such as physics and sound engines are written for PC chips.  Once macs start using the same chips as PCs, it opens up the gaming market a lot.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »

Because frankly, if it wasn't for gaming, a whole lot of us would already have Macs, or be running Ubuntu Linux and never looking back.

i'm nearly there - running Ubuntu on my desktop and i recently purchased a secondhand G3 iBook. if the "Games for Windows" initiative goes just how Microsoft wants it (eg. micro-payments/pay-for-content/monthly subscriptions), i don't see commercial Windows gaming having a place in my future.  as it stands, the only "triple-A" title released over the past two years that i've had any desire to play is Civilization IV.  i also have little interest in MMORPGs.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 02:21:52 PM »

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:26:39 PM »

Yeah, I read that earlier. Kinda scary, IMHO.

What does Games for Windows do that Xfire, Gamespy Arcade, etc. hasn't done already? And for absolutely FREE?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 04:32:58 PM »

Because admittedly, other OSes have started gaining a lot of ground
Windows still accounts for 93+% of the OS market, and despite Apple's increased sales as of late, their *marketshare* hasn't improved much; not to mention they seem to be abandoning the computer market for the gadget market - for example, iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, etc. and the recent name change from Apple Computers to just Apple, Inc.

Linux made a decent move on business PCs last year
Not a lot of serious gaming done on business machines smile
Apple is poised to make a big push on the Windows market by switching to Intel chips, meaning software that was once only windows because it was too much a hassle to port to the powerPC chip could go to macs.
It's not the difference in CPUS as much as it is the APIs... OSX still doesn't support DirectX (and probably never will) - which most games use these days.  Rather than going to the effort of porting the games, devs will probably just assume people will dual-boot on the Intel Macs and run the games natively in Windows.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 04:37:45 PM by Laner » Logged
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 04:34:49 PM »

DirectX, all by itself, keeps Windows gaming decades ahead of any other OS.

This is just another spin on the "PC Gaming iz teh dedzorz" meme.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »

I can agree with some things in the article. Definitely agree that making already released Xbox or 360 games dependend on Vista and DirectX 10 is one of the stupidest things MS has done in some time. They should do what Bioware did with JE and release Halo 2 so that it runs on what people currently have, not what they might have 3-6 months from now; I mean WTF!! The comments about the state of support on Shadowrun leads me to believe that FASA's status as a MS game studio is very tenuous at the moment. And all of this article reminds me that Ed DeVries (or was it DeFries) is sorely being missed at the games division.

And yes Games for Windows Live should be called Win Live or maybe even Vista Live; the current name is just a marketing nigthmare. I also agree that the right and honest thing to do with Win Live would be to make it a socketable API that other services such as Xfire and Steam could plug into. But  based upon the ca$h cow that Live currently is for MS, I'm quite sure we'll never see this.

I ditto some others here that we're not going to see other OS's make significant inroads on PC gaming. Having watched DirectX over the years handedly beat Glide, OpenGL and the short lived VMRx API's I don't see any real competition to it in the foreseeable future. DirectX is why developers have stuck with Windows and the delivery of XNA has only strengthened this further. If there's one thing MS gets right its the dev tools and game Dev's love to use them. IMHO this is the reason why the XBox was able to build up such a large catalog of games; god knows it certainly wasn't the market share.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 06:37:06 PM »

Halo was an XP-only title when it was release, so I can't really view them likewise making Halo 2 Vista-only as being part of Microsoft's evil plot to destroy PC gaming.

I do view it as a very, very poor marketting decision which will damage the success of the PC version, but hardly part of some kind of secret plot to destroy the PC industry.

What exactly is it about Microsoft which inspires people to manufacture so many insane conspiracy theories?

Also, I don't really see why MS would bother making it possible for XFire or Steam (or any other third party application, for that matter) to plug into it.  Part of the draw to Live is that it is an environment secured and guaranteed by Microsoft.  If they start surrenduring control over that environment to non-MS companies... how exactly do they guarantee anything?

Another facet is that Live is a competitor to any other PC matchmaking service.  Other companies have had over a decade to create a widely accepted service- none of them did, so now MS is doing it their way.  Not only that, but I don't even view anybody as having done anything NEAR a simply acceptable job: XFire is ok, but not that popular.  Gamespy has always sucked.  Anyone else is pretty much out of business (and sucked anyway).  Even in the console arena, MS is unquestionably the superior game matchmaking product.

Most of the complaints I've heard about Live for Windows has been that it isn't extensive enough, but I'm sure that will be resolved in the near future.  Eventually MSN Messenger (or whatever the hell they are calling it this month) will be brought into the fold and become Live Messanger, and be integrated with Live the same way it is on the console.  It just takes time, and it seems somewhat unfair to judge the overall success of the product based on it's initial state, especially comparing it to the XBox Live service which is several years old already.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 11:36:58 PM »

I don't see how Live for Windows would destroy PC gaming any more than it has for 360 gaming. I see the biggest downside to it all being that current free services will become part of Microsoft's subscription-based service. This isn't entirely bad though because MS has proven that the Live atmosphere is a quality-controlled and cheater-free one, which is worth the price of admission to me.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:35:18 AM »

I didn't see people going "Microsoft is killing console gaming" by making it's first-gen games like Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero Xbox 360-exclusive. You support the latest iteration of your platform. I mean, I kind of get what the article is getting at, but I think Microsoft is going in the right direction with at least some standardization.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 04:29:20 PM »

Reads more like a rant than a news article.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 04:43:01 PM »

Quote from: drifter on June 07, 2007, 04:29:20 PM

Reads more like a rant than a news article.

I think that's normally how it goes when an article is rather biased.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 06:13:56 PM »

If anyone is trying to kill PC gaming, it's PS and Sony. Keep in mind that's why the PS3 has a larger HDD and the bluray. In addition to all those features. MS still owns the PC department and all the games that are developed are for. Sony wants to position the PS as the new wave PC.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: