http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 02:12:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2  (Read 2703 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2004, 04:22:27 PM »

One of them will be like a PC, shock

By Wil Harris: Thursday 11 November 2004, 10:23

A SLIDE from a non disclosure agreement (NDA) presentation seen by the INQ points towards Microsoft launching three versions of the Xbox 2, one of which is a fully functioning PC.
The presentation, understood to have been given to analysts and market researchers in the UK earlier this year, plots a timeline for the introduction of the systems. Xbox Next and Xbox Next HD are planned for Autumn 2005, whereas the Xbox Next PC is pencilled in for Autumn 2006.

The standard Xbox Next will not include a hard drive, which will allow Microsoft to cut costs on this basic unit. Xbox Next HD, as you might imagine, does include a hard drive and will offer increased functionality based on this. Xbox Next PC is, according to the presentation, an entry-level PC that runs Windows and all standard PC software. It also includes CD Burner, Wireless keyboard, mouse and controller and will work best connected to a high-definition TV or PC monitor. Media Center functionality - like movies, music and photos - is also included. The device will also play most available PC games.

System outline specifications note that internet browsing and instant messaging would be key applications, and that the entire unit will be smaller than the current Xbox, although it will not be possible to upgrade the shipping memory or processor.

The year-long gap between the mooted introductions of the 2 standard Xboxes before the Xbox Next PC is an interesting decision, which suggests that Microsoft realises the time that the market needs to acclimatise to TV media functionality. Since the Vole expects to ship Xbox Next before the Sony PlayStation 3, 2 versions of the console allow it to get the first wave out before PS3, but to also spoil the launch of Sony's flagship by concurrently announcing the PC version. ยต

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19615
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7189/Microsoft-to-Release-Three-Versions-of-Xbox-2/

Very interesting and probably true smile

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Rob81Lakes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 04:36:54 PM »

So will Next PC support backward compatibility or just the emulator software needed for backward compatibility?   :roll:

XBL gamertag:  Rob81Lakes
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 04:52:06 PM »

Wow, that pretty cool.  I'd definitely be up for the PC version as I am planning on migrating all my computing to a widescreen LCD TV in the near future anyway.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 05:19:56 PM »

the two most important things for me:  i don't want to use memory cards for anything more than occasional backups of long games - so i want the hard drive;  and, the backward compatability - please, Microsoft, don't do a Nintendo on us!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 05:24:42 PM »

Xbox Next PC is, according to the presentation, an entry-level PC

Not interested.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 05:39:48 PM »

Good idea!

It's like Sony trying to incorporate Tivo and other fuctions into the PS2.

Give us the option and we'll take it from there.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 05:42:32 PM »

Seems like a reasonable idea.  It'd all depend on the price points for me, but I could see myself shelling out a little more to get a built in HD and a few extra features.  The entry level PC thing does nothing for me though.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 05:48:41 PM »

Microsoft should take a lesson from Sony and its PSX. All-in-one devices fail.
Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 05:51:19 PM »

I hope they are able to design the hard drive version in a way that prevents piracy, piracy hurts all gaming, even systems that are difficult to pirate, like the Gamecube, because some people choose the xbox over the Gamecube because it makes piracy incredibly easy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 05:53:46 PM »

That ticks me off.  

'Here's 2 different versions of the X-Box Next but we have a third that will be released a year or so from now.  Of course if you want that version you'll either have to wait to play all of these cool games or you can buy one now and the other later.'

Double dipping at it's finest.  :evil:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 05:54:23 PM »

Quote from: "Dinkytoy"
I hope they are able to design the hard drive version in a way that prevents piracy, piracy hurts all gaming, even systems that are difficult to pirate, like the Gamecube, because some people choose the xbox over the Gamecube because it makes piracy incredibly easy.

Or because gamecube releases like 3, maybe 4 good games per year.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 06:07:37 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Quote from: "Dinkytoy"

Or because gamecube releases like 3, maybe 4 good games per year.

That isn't true, but what does it have to do with what I said ?
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 06:09:11 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
That ticks me off.  

'Here's 2 different versions of the X-Box Next but we have a third that will be released a year or so from now.  Of course if you want that version you'll either have to wait to play all of these cool games or you can buy one now and the other later.'

I remember when Microsoft was saying that they were going to make Xbox 2 games compatible with the Xbox 1.  The games would run but at lower resolutions and without some features.  So much for that.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 06:49:33 PM »

It seems dumb to me on the surface.

No new Xbox "Next" games will use the HD if it isn't standard on all Xboxes.  Why would you put extra development dollars into something that only a part of your users could use?  For example look at DVDs for game releases.  Companies don't bother because they see no value in doing so.  They put out a game on CD and people with cd drives - and DVD drives can use it.   Same with the HD on the Xbox 2.  If you make your game work without it then everyone can use it.

The whol 3rd option of a basic PC.....the reason people buy consoles is to get away from having to figure out a PC.  Have the web TV units done well?  People don't want a PC on their TV particularly.

All this does is create confusion and the best thing about consoles (well it used to be) was simlicity.  You plugged it in and worked with all games for that console.   Now you plug it in and....well if you have the Xbox HD it will work but not if you have the basic one, or you put in the game and it will work on your basic one but with lots of cool features disabled.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 06:57:34 PM »

That ticks me off.  

Is there some reason you couldn't sell the first version? There's always going to be someone who's perfectly happy with the last year's model.  Or just wait until the penultimate one is released?

Not to mention that this is all just rampant speculation until MS actually announces something.
programmerbob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 07:02:23 PM »

Someone that my roommate knows works for the Xbox Live team, let me see if he can confirm or deny existance of 3 xboxes.

Regardless I think it's a BAD idea to have 3 different xboxes, consumers will get confused I think. The current Xbox setup would easily be able to add audio features, Tivo features, email, word processors, etc.

Also isn't one of the selling points of a console is that it doesn't give blue screens of death, convoluted error messages, or the bomb screen?

If you install a full operating system onto the machine, it will crash in bad ways more often guaranteed. The simple fact is that if you add millions of lines of code there will be bugs. And Bugs=crashing.

The one teamxbox article actually says that this information is questionable due to past MSFT statements.

Xbox Live tag: joephis1
AIM/ESO Tag: UTBurner
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 07:16:26 PM »

Personally, I think the article is a load of crap.

Even having just the 2 versions of the Xbox would render the hard drive irrelevant except as a replacement for memory cards. Developers are only going to code to the lowest common denominator - the xbox without a hard drive.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 11:40:36 PM »

I'm not so bothered by the 3 versions as I am by the Autumn 2005 lauch frame. 4 years is too short a lifespan for one generation of hardware. I know some of you PC die-hards will laugh at that, but I want 5 to 6 years out of my  consoles.

I think that coming out first can have a very big Dreamcast-like effect on the XBox-next and having multiple versions would hurt even more.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 12:29:25 AM »

I think the XBox Next-PC rumor is suspect...

Remember Microsoft made a deal with IBM to make chips for them for their XBox 2/Next. And those chips are based off the PPC970's (better known as the G5 in Apple computers). Those processors are RISC-based, not x86. Thus, Windows cannot run on the processor, at least not natively. And even if they port Windows to the PPC platform (it has been done before), it'd still be useless because no software will work on it!
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 05:14:54 AM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"

Even having just the 2 versions of the Xbox would render the hard drive irrelevant except as a replacement for memory cards. Developers are only going to code to the lowest common denominator - the xbox without a hard drive.

What about the main reason most of us use the hard drive... custom soundtracks? I'd shell out extra money for that feature alone.

And what about downloadable content?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 02:46:56 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
That ticks me off.  

Is there some reason you couldn't sell the first version? There's always going to be someone who's perfectly happy with the last year's model.  Or just wait until the penultimate one is released?

Not to mention that this is all just rampant speculation until MS actually announces something.

Sure, you could sell the first one but chances are you'd lose money.  As for the waiting there's the issue of having to wait to play all the cool games.  A year is a long time  :?

I understand it's still speculation but I am still outraged slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 03:01:14 PM »

Tebunker says.

I'm not so bothered by the 3 versions as I am by the Autumn 2005 lauch frame. 4 years is too short a lifespan for one generation of hardware. I know some of you PC die-hards will laugh at that, but I want 5 to 6 years out of my consoles.

I think that coming out first can have a very big Dreamcast-like effect on the XBox-next and having multiple versions would hurt even more.

SIX YEARS?????? Thats a bit extreme is it not? Technology has increased 10 fold in that time.

I buy a new PC JUST ABOUT every 3 years. I went from a p3 500- p4- 3 mhz.. that is an increase 6x if you wait 6 years its 12x.. do 10x is FAIR..

Ill give you 4 years and phased out by 5 but 6????

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 03:09:13 PM »

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 03:29:22 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"

Tebunker says.

I'm not so bothered by the 3 versions as I am by the Autumn 2005 lauch frame. 4 years is too short a lifespan for one generation of hardware. I know some of you PC die-hards will laugh at that, but I want 5 to 6 years out of my consoles.

SIX YEARS?????? Thats a bit extreme is it not? Technology has increased 10 fold in that time.

I buy a new PC JUST ABOUT every 3 years. I went from a p3 500- p4- 3 mhz.. that is an increase 6x if you wait 6 years its 12x.. do 10x is FAIR..

Ill give you 4 years and phased out by 5 but 6????

I think that is the reason people get into consoles (or one of them).  The cost of continual upgrades isn't worth it.  They like the idea of buying one piece of hardware and not having to think about upgrades.  Now MS seems to be shooting that down as a stratagy.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 04:15:36 PM »

The Inquirer - Because Who Needs Facts Anyway?
 :lol:
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2004, 04:36:18 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Quote from: "angrycoder"

What about the main reason most of us use the hard drive... custom soundtracks? I'd shell out extra money for that feature alone.

And what about downloadable content?

Word, rrmorton.  Custom soundtracks, downloadable content and not having to mess with limited memory cards for saves?  Sold!  Hell, just not having to use memory cards is enough for me.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2004, 12:10:48 AM »

think that is the reason people get into consoles (or one of them). The cost of continual upgrades isn't worth it. They like the idea of buying one piece of hardware and not having to think about upgrades. Now MS seems to be shooting that down as a stratagy.

Farley, I agree with you BUT 6 YEARS?!!??! I dont keep CARS that long!!!!!

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2004, 01:44:27 AM »

Give me 5 solid years and fade it out in the SIxth, Nintendo was still selling NES games into the mid nineties, and you could get SNES games up till the late Nineties. PSX was still heavily supported 6 years after release until the PS2 took off in 2001.

It's not unusual for this, get out of the PC mindset. When you push a current generation longer it only makes the next generation that much bigger of a jump and makes it that much more worth it, it doesn't have to be to long of a wait, just another year past what MS is going to do. However releasing a new system every 4 years is ludicrous, and I know I won't get a new Xbox2 if it hits fall of 2005, and they're treading down that slippery slope that Sega navigated and got crushed on. Not saying MS will get crushed, but history has shown that a 5 year lifespan is better than less than 5 years.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2004, 03:40:57 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Give me 5 solid years and fade it out in the SIxth, Nintendo was still selling NES games into the mid nineties, and you could get SNES games up till the late Nineties. PSX was still heavily supported 6 years after release until the PS2 took off in 2001.

Those are also three of the most popular consoles of all time - the undisputed "winner" of each respective generation.  Simply due to that fact they are going to have very long shelf-lives - they are the exception, not the rule.

You can't hold all consoles up to those same standards.  Especially now that there are simultaneously three strong, viable console manufacturers (arguably for the first time ever).  The competition is much greater, meaning there's much more pressure to phase out the current generation sooner rather than later.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2004, 06:23:50 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"

You can't hold all consoles up to those same standards.  Especially now that there are simultaneously three strong, viable console manufacturers (arguably for the first time ever).  The competition is much greater, meaning there's much more pressure to phase out the current generation sooner rather than later.

But its a risky gamble.  If the console life cycle continues to get shorter and shorter then consumers are going to balk at shelling out that kind of dough every few years.

MS is betting that they've built up enough of a base that by being first to launch next generation they will get the kind of headstart Sony had this time out and have an insurmountable lead by the time Sony and Nintendo launch.  Its a very sound tactic but it has the potential to backfire.  One of the key selling points of Xbox is that its the most advanced console on the market.  With Sony launching up to a year after MS there is a very good possibility that Sony could have the tech crown next time out, reducing one of MS's key advantages.

The momentum MS is getting this year is a double edged sword- with all of the Xboxes sold in the last year most of those consumers may balk at Xbox 2 so soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: