http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 03:52:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft to purchase EA?  (Read 763 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »

http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#2CIxX4/www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176152/

what you reckon?...BS or not?

i personally can't see it happening...i just couldn't think EA games only being on the 360 and GFW..but what do i know,i just pass this stuff on icon_biggrin....didn't EA just bring out that Sports game for the Wii?(resort or something like that)

..but if true....wow!!

content of link quoted below
Scuttlebutt is going around Wall Street regarding a possible takeover of Electronic Arts at the hands of Microsoft. Talk of the potential buy has been dismissed as "unsubstantiated chatter" by Reuters, but rumors among traders have already served to drive up the stock of both companies. EA stock is up 5.24% to $19.36, while MS increased by 0.9% to $26. Some traders, at least, are banking on the possibility.

Whether purely the product of imagination or a legitimate piece of inside info, the rumor is plausible enough. The last year has seen a steady fall in videogame sales, the largest sales drop in nine years, leaving EA in a potentially weakened state. Such acquisitions have happened increasingly often, as in the case of "Activision Blizzard", and Zenimax/ID, and even EA's own attempts to acquire Take-Two.

Just how such a buy would change the face of the industry is difficult to comprehend. With EA dominating 20% game publishing market share and Microsoft 35% of hardware sales, the two combined would represent an absolute monolith. Or, at the very least, a chance to have a playable John Madden character for Halo 3: ODST's Firefight mode as DLC.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »

I suppose it could happen, but it'd be a TOOONNNN of money.  Probably more than EA is worth in sales, even as high as they are.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »

It would be incredible if they could pull it off.  I mean, think of it:  Madden as a 360 exclusive?  I mean, daaaaaang.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:11:41 PM »

Even if they did buy EA, would they cut off that many customers from the EA titles?  That seems like a bad business move.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:16:45 PM by leo8877 » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 08:11:53 PM »

found this one also

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1027673p1.html

US,  September 23, 2009 - Rumblings of a Electronic Arts takeover by Microsoft have driven Wall Street into a frenzy this morning.

Reuters is reporting "unsubstantiated talk" of a possible sale, causing shares to jump for both companies. Electronic Arts saw a jump of over 8% to $20.01, while Microsoft's shares increased 1.1 percent to $26.05

"There's talk that Microsoft might be interested in acquiring Electronic Arts. It's unsubstantiated chatter, but it's out there," said options strategist Frederic Ruffy.

Analyst Trip Chowdhry said talk of this sale is unjustified. "Our contacts just don't see Microsoft buying Electronic Arts, no synergies whatsoever, and also not Microsoft's corporate primary focus right now."

Electronic Arts and Microsoft have yet to issue any comments on this story.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter told IGN a sale of this magnitude is highly unlikely.

"Their value as a one platform exclusive publisher is lower than their value on multi-platform. A media company would pay a lot more," he said. "Also, most licenses would terminate."

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:16:14 PM »

That would be a huge gamechanger in the console marketplace.  The question at that point would be would MS force EA to go console exclusive, or simply rake in a cut of every game sold on the competitor's systems.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »

I call bunk. I have no good rationale for this. It's just too mind-boggling.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »

It's more likely someone spread this rumor just to inflate some stock prices.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:28:58 PM »

Quote from: Bob on September 23, 2009, 09:16:34 PM

I call bunk. I have no good rationale for this. It's just too mind-boggling.

yup,prolly....i remember the rumours of MS buying Take Two(Before EA were trying to buy it)...and weren't Disney trying to buy EA a few months back?

i have heard today that THQ is gonna be bought by Warner..whether that is true i don't know either

so,if MS did buy EA..would the companies EA own go with them?(yes,i am thinking Bioware/DICE here)

apart from the sports,EA still have quite a few great franchises..just been looking on the wiki page of games by EA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Electronic_Arts_games
Burnout,Dead Space,Battlefield,C+C,Godfather,Mass Effect,Medal of Honor,Mirrors Edge,Need for Speed(or is that under their sports titles?),The Sims,er..Harry Potter

isn't Valve part of EA as well?

holy cow,i just found this page for an EA game..who remembers this The Train:Escape From Normandy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Train:_Escape_to_Normandy

brings back memories

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 09:29:07 PM »

For all the love I have for Microsoft thanks to excellent releases like Visual Studio and Windows 7, it'd all turn to hate in a second if they did this. We all know Microsoft well enough to know that this would mean tons of exclusives for the 360, not because the games couldn't be done on the PS3 but simply because Microsoft wouldn't want them to.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 10:29:40 PM »

This exact same rumor went around during the time of the original xbox. It is just wild speculation, although it would probably be a better business maneuver than the whole Google thing. EA is more vulnerable than in previous years, but the deal would be too costly.

But EA Sports exclusive to the Xbox....damn! But I imagine the contracts dictate multi-platform releases for those titles.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 10:39:06 PM »

This is all part of why we brought kathode in.  Picture it now:  We open the game with you creeping through a post-apocalyptic Texas with your Spartan buddies, looking for mankind's last refuge, Cowboys Stadium, where a holographic John Madden trains the next generation of football warriors.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 10:41:51 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on September 23, 2009, 10:29:40 PM

But EA Sports exclusive to the Xbox....damn! But I imagine the contracts dictate multi-platform releases for those titles.

yeah, but imagine if they just ported over the Wii version to all the other consoles  icon_twisted

add another +whatever to this being a pants rumor.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »

None of this means that Microsoft would keep titles exclusive to their systems... if there's more money to be made allowing Sony and Nintendo to play Madden than keeping it exclusive, you can bet Madden will be on those systems.

xbox live: nude rick james
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 11:48:36 PM »

Quote from: Clay on September 23, 2009, 11:09:36 PM

None of this means that Microsoft would keep titles exclusive to their systems... if there's more money to be made allowing Sony and Nintendo to play Madden than keeping it exclusive, you can bet Madden will be on those systems.

I agree, it seems a little bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul - the amount of $$ EA makes on its multiplatform releases (and almost all of their releases are multiplatform) would likely greatly outweigh any potential increase in units due to certain titles being 'Xbox360 only'.  At the same time the company could get into a very sticky console favoritism situation if they allowed EA to remain a multiplatform publisher.

At a minimum it would be funny to see Peter Moore as a Microsoft employee again biggrin

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 12:38:41 AM »

well,that rumour lasted for about 4 and a half hours,not bad going...longer than some icon_lol

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/180058.asp

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 12:40:45 AM »

That would be like 2 sucks = a mega suck.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 02:57:20 AM »

IN!

Although I don't care, it would be fun to see such a tremendous amount of hate focused in one place.

Do it!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 03:55:48 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 23, 2009, 10:39:06 PM

This is all part of why we brought kathode in.  Picture it now:  We open the game with you creeping through a post-apocalyptic Texas with your Spartan buddies, looking for mankind's last refuge, Cowboys Stadium, where a holographic Jerry Jones trains the next generation of football warriors.
FTFY

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 04:09:19 AM »

Great point - he's already 80% artificial!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: