http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 09:17:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft to offer free 360 repairs on systems manufactured before Jan 1!  (Read 1005 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2006, 02:50:02 AM »

And even refund money if already charged

edited title to read manufactured instead of bought
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:30:47 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 03:14:02 AM »

A little late to finally be doing this, perhaps, but I still say Huzzah to them! 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 03:14:15 AM »

I thought it was on systems manufactured before a certain date, not bought before January. Could be wrong.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 03:24:36 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 22, 2006, 02:50:02 AM

So I guess rumors of 30% failure rates are true, and they are probably doing this to fend off potential litigation?  This amounts to what people in the auto industry call "Soft Recall".
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 03:27:17 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 04:09:09 AM »

The end of the article mentions that it's on systems manufactured before 1/1/06, not bought, which makes more sense.

However, the end of the article also mentions that they're only extending the warranty to a full year, which isn't as good.  Hopefully they'll just do the repairs on the launch systems, even if it is over a year.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 04:31:42 AM »

i came across this on Digg earlier today and was pretty surprised...it's a big step to protect the early adopters, especially the decision to reimburse people who have already paid for repairs.  my 360 was assembled on 11/6/05 (bought 12/22) and is still going strong, but i'll rest a little easier knowing i'm still under warranty now. 

Quote from: Chaz on September 22, 2006, 04:09:09 AM

The end of the article mentions that it's on systems manufactured before 1/1/06, not bought, which makes more sense.

However, the end of the article also mentions that they're only extending the warranty to a full year, which isn't as good.  Hopefully they'll just do the repairs on the launch systems, even if it is over a year.

just as big as the decision to extend the original warranty is the fact that they're apparently allowing another chance to purchase an extended warranty within the one-year period.  i didn't fork over the money for an extended warranty when i bought my 360, but i may do it now just to be on the safe side for a couple more years...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 04:42:34 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 10:50:22 AM »

yeah my disc tray broke on my 360 so i sent it back,while on the phone to them i made sure that i wasnt to be charged

me:so,it will be gone for 7-10 days?.......will i be getting charged in anyway for this?

dude on phone:hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  no of course not

me:(feeling a bit of a dick now)ok thats cool,thx

i got the 360 back a week later(yesterday in fact),looking brand new(stickers over the disc tray and infer red port)and in official microsoft package that you got when you took it out of the box when you bought it

hopefully on future models,they are expecting the breakdown on systems to go down

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 11:29:57 AM »

oops, sorry for the confusion. This is great news though. I'm on my second refurbished system (first one only made it a week). This one has been great, but it is still one of the early units. I've been thinking about springing for the extended warranty.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 01:19:29 PM »

*waits for his refund - but doesn't hold his breath*

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 12:19:27 AM »

How do you know when it was made?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 12:40:07 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 23, 2006, 12:19:27 AM

I think the build date is on the tag on the back. I haven't looked at mine. If not there, inside the USB slot on the front.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 04:15:26 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 23, 2006, 12:40:07 AM

Quote from: Lee on September 23, 2006, 12:19:27 AM

I think the build date is on the tag on the back. I haven't looked at mine. If not there, inside the USB slot on the front.

it's printed on a small tag on the back of the console...close to where the A/V cable plugs in if i remember correctly. 

*Gamertag - disarm78*
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 04:23:04 AM »

How would you go about purchasing the extended warranty at this point?

LiveTAG: happydog
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 04:34:55 AM »

Mine was built on 05-12-06 icon_frown  ninja

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 04:44:39 AM »

Quote from: happydog on September 23, 2006, 04:23:04 AM

How would you go about purchasing the extended warranty at this point?
from the discussion over at the official xbox forums where news of this offer first appeared, it sounds like you just have to call up MS and talk to one of their service reps about it.  as long as you have a system built before 1/1/06, they'll supposedly agree to extend your warranty for the usual fee ($60 for two years).  not a bad deal really...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 12:17:36 PM »

Its things like this that keep me from buying launch-day consoles, even if I truly want one. My 360 is from april 06 and still kicking strong.
I'm thinking in a year (if it lasts that long) I'll trade it in and get a new 360 - with all the hardware revisisions and improvements they made over that time. Just like the original xbox (and ps2 for that matter) they continually improved it over time.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 01:05:34 PM »

So just to be clear - if we did not buy any warrantys when the system was purchased I we can get 2 years starting today for $60?

~ Tim
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 05:24:44 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on September 23, 2006, 01:05:34 PM

So just to be clear - if we did not buy any warrantys when the system was purchased I we can get 2 years starting today for $60?

~ Tim
that's my just about my understanding from the discussions over at xbox.com...only difference is that the warranty will start from either the manufacture date or purchase date of your console (not sure which), not the day you sign up for the warranty.  that's still pretty good though.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 06:43:06 PM »

This whole offer is extremely vague.  I have yet to find something written down that fully explains it.

My confusions:

• bought vs. manufactured date.  I've seen both terms used in these "announcements".  I bought mine in April but it has a manufacturing date of 12/24/05.  Technically I think it doesn't fit into the "first run" because that had to happen before the launch date but who knows how long the manufacturing problems lasted.
  • lack of how long the free repair offer lasts.   I mean that if I don't buy the extended warranty and in 2 years my system craps out, do I still get the free repair?  If that's the case, why buy the warranty?

I know....I should just call the support number and find out but I need to take the time to get my serial number written down.  Can't do that from work obviously.

- shaggy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: