http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:28:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft take note: this is how you do customer service  (Read 1437 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2004, 06:20:37 AM »

Dead pixel Nintendo DS owners....

So my Xbox's Thompson drive crapped out just a few months after buying it, and MS wanted $100 to replace it.  Not only that, but the lady I talked to at MS went so far as admitting that the Thompson drives were a known problem with some Xbox's, but they still wanted $100 + shipping to fix it.
/rant off[/url]

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 06:25:07 AM »

A few months?  Doesnt the Xbox have a 1 year warranty?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 06:51:50 AM »

Most people assume it has a one year warranty, but if you open up the manual and read it you'll see that it's only covered for 3 months.

^^^this is almost exactly what the MS customer service rep told me on the phone.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 07:48:03 AM »

Was the xbox under warranty? I am certainly not leaping to Micor$oft's defense here, but to compare an RMA procedure of something that is under warranty to something that is out of warranty is completely unfair.  If Nintendo does replace DSs at no charge due to dead pixels even after the warranty expires then I will change my feeling though.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 11:01:32 AM »

That's a good point to bring up. However, does it then make a difference if the problem is a known issue (ie. Thompson drive) that the company chose not to act on? Can a warranty cover a company in such a situation? I mean that's the kind of problem that other companies would have a recall for. Another aspect that makes it harder to compare the DS and the Xbox is that the dead pixel is present right from the get go (right?), whereas the Thompson drive doesn't show problems immediately, despite the fact that its inclusion is likely to result in future drive problems.

Whatever. I think Nintendo's fairly classy here, while I found MS's policy regarding the Thompsons pretty cold.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 02:28:42 PM »

The X-Box Thompson problem (which I also suffer from) is a similar issue as Sony had with the first PS2s.  The DVD drives simply were not high quality, and had a high malfunction/failure rate.  Sony eventually owned up to it, and offered to fix them for free.  

Microsoft has yet to do this, and has a class action suit brewing, from what I've heard.  

Granted, the fact that a $150-300 CONSOLE only has a 90 day warranty is stupid to begin with.  Then again, warranties in general are dying out.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 02:51:58 PM »

I've read of other people who got their Thompson drives replaced for free since they are such a problem after the warrenty. Maybe its just luck as to the person you get on the phone. I'd call them up and basically be an ass if they gave me a hard time about it. My guess is they see if they can get people to pony up the $100 for the DVD drive fix and only do it free if the person pushes the issue.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 08:00:25 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
The X-Box Thompson problem (which I also suffer from) is a similar issue as Sony had with the first PS2s.  The DVD drives simply were not high quality, and had a high malfunction/failure rate.  Sony eventually owned up to it, and offered to fix them for free.  

Microsoft has yet to do this, and has a class action suit brewing, from what I've heard.  

Granted, the fact that a $150-300 CONSOLE only has a 90 day warranty is stupid to begin with.  Then again, warranties in general are dying out.

Not exactly true. My best friend's PS2 broke shortly after launch, and after months of trying to get Sony to replace it he finally went out and bought an Xbox. I wouldnt say they owned up and offered to fix them. Unless you mean a few years down the road (which they might have) in which case most PS2 owners have already bought another one so what is the harm in offering this.

And no, no console company would issue a recall for issues like this. And this has been proven. Sony didnt, MS didnt, and Nintendo didnt. All three of which had defective problems in recent systems. Not one recall.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 08:45:06 PM »

Recalls only happen when 100% of the instances of a product/product configuration are broken.  Otherwise, it is much cheaper for companies to just RMA the components for people who complain about them.

My original complaint is that forcing someone to pay for the RMA on something that is a quality control related issue is just plain wrong.  Yeah it sucks that there are dead pixels on a small % of DS's, but at least you can replace them for free and get them back fairly quickily.  Have to pay $100 to fix an Xbox that I paid $300 for a few months earlier is BS... (so I ended up 'fixing' it myself).

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 09:19:36 PM »

Sony just announced they'll give a free game to anyone who had their memory card erased by the Viewtiful Joe 2 demo on the Playstation Underground disk. I thought that was a nice customer service gesture.
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 09:23:22 PM »

I placed a complaint with the BBB concerning the thompson drive issue.  
I didn't even bother trying to contact MS, since i all ready knew what their response would be.

A few days later, someone from MS called me, and they fixed it for free, all i had to pay was shipping one way.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 10:03:03 PM »

Just throw this out there...All Nintendo hardware has a 12 month warranty and every GAME and accessory comes with a 90 day warranty. It's allways been that way with them, just to let you know. It's not like you really ever would have to use it with their stuff...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: