http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:42:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft-No Xbox live Price hike in the next few months!!  (Read 1548 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2009, 02:08:30 PM »

i should hope not either,never mind now or in a few months time,we pay enough...and i hope MS wont make an excuse of putting up the XBL price by saying that we have all these extra features like Facebook or Twitter...its not like we asked for them

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225969

A analyst recently said that he could see Microsoft raising the price of an XBL gold subscription from $50 to $100. When posed with the question of a subs increase, a Microsoft spokesman didn't exactly put the community's mind at rest.

"I don't foresee a scenario where we're going to double the price of Live anytime in the next couple months," he told PC World.

So in theory then, the price of a year-long subscription to Xbox Live with full access to demos and multiplayer could go up by March or April next year?

If Microsoft was to double the price of XBL then, would Sony have to follow suit and start charging for certain PSN privileges like online multiplayer? Would you be prepared to pay for something that used to be free?

i don't see why SONY would have to follow suit and charge,if anything the xbl price hike would be good for PS3...infact i am not even sure where CVG are coming from asking questions about PSN..asking 'would we be prepared to pay for something that used to be free'...it seems like CVG are trying to shift the focus here from MS to SONY

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 02:37:57 PM »

Those are very ominous words. "next few months". I'd probably pay an increase, but it might push more people to play PS3 online, which would be a good thing.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:42:49 PM »

I would LOVE to pay Sony for online with the PS3.

Might make it suck a lot less if they felt they had to provide a service that people paid for.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:46:38 PM »

I would seriously consider dropping to silver membership if they pushed it up to 100 bucks a year.  They generate enough revenue from their content (advertising, content providers, etc.) that they should be giving gold level memberships away for free, imho.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 02:46:47 PM »

Wow. That is some serious quote hedging.  We promise not to double the price in the next 3 months.  They could have actually said something that allayed fears, instead they say something stupidly ominous.  

How can they justify raising the price of the service when their competitors' services (being as they may) are free?
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 02:48:22 PM »

I'd seriously let my sub go down to Silver if there is ANY increase.  Hell....they are already littering the Dashboard with ads.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »

in other words it's a good time to grab a few of the 12 month XBL subscription cards.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 03:07:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 23, 2009, 02:49:00 PM

in other words it's a good time to grab a few of the 12 month XBL subscription cards.

"Hey, boss, I think I found a way to make sales of Live subscription cards absolutely soar this holiday season.  Let me run this statement for the press by ya..."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 03:31:53 PM »

Yea, I'd drop Live completely.  That's outrageous.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 03:38:16 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 23, 2009, 03:31:53 PM

Yea, the reporting is outrageous. Some random analyst spouts off about how he could see MS doubling the price of XBox Live and then a corporate spokesman gives a non-definitive denial. I could say that I can see pink elephants flying out of MS's ass and a corporate spokesman would give a non-definitive denial. That's what they do. It's a complete non-story.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 04:32:06 PM »

I already dropped my gold down to silver.  I rarely play online these days.  The only thing I miss Netflix
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on October 23, 2009, 03:38:16 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 23, 2009, 03:31:53 PM

Yea, the reporting is outrageous. Some random analyst spouts off about how he could see MS doubling the price of XBox Live and then a corporate spokesman gives a non-definitive denial. I could say that I can see pink elephants flying out of MS's ass and a corporate spokesman would give a non-definitive denial. That's what they do. It's a complete non-story.

nod

I small bullsh!t!
MS is not stupid enough to double the price of XBOX Live.
The smart thing would be to actually lower the price. (Free would be nice but you know it's not going to happen)
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 04:50:26 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if someone started the rumor for that very reason; MS XBL needs the cash flow and wants gamers to sub or re-sub before the holiday gaming glut drains their wallets. Not that I trying to be conspiratorial or anything, but strategic rumoring has been part of the gaming biz for some time.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 23, 2009, 04:50:26 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if someone started the rumor for that very reason; MS XBL needs the cash flow and wants gamers to sub or re-sub before the holiday gaming glut drains their wallets. Not that I trying to be conspiratorial or anything, but strategic rumoring has been part of the gaming biz for some time.

yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 06:00:04 PM »

I'm selling my 360 today.
I wish I could donate to Sony or something. They have the basic set up, but they need better servers.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 23, 2009, 02:46:38 PM

I would seriously consider dropping to silver membership if they pushed it up to 100 bucks a year.  They generate enough revenue from their content (advertising, content providers, etc.) that they should be giving gold level memberships away for free, imho.

EXACTLY! Well said Hepcat. There are so many ads (Ford, McDonalds, Doritos, etc) the last thing they should do is raise the price of Live. We pay enough for it, especially when you consider, the competition is free, and that the service is basically ad supported.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »

Quote from: Bob on October 23, 2009, 02:46:47 PM

Wow. That is some serious quote hedging.  We promise not to double the price in the next 3 months.  They could have actually said something that allayed fears, instead they say something stupidly ominous.

Are you saying you'd rather a corporate company flat-out lie?

I have a feeling that gamers would be seriously upset too if they did that.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 23, 2009, 06:43:57 PM

Quote from: hepcat on October 23, 2009, 02:46:38 PM

EXACTLY! Well said Hepcat. There are so many ads (Ford, McDonalds, Doritos, etc) the last thing they should do is raise the price of Live. We pay enough for it, especially when you consider, the competition is free, and that the service is basically ad supported.

Absolutely!  That is just what I was thinking from the start of the thread.   disgust

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 08:14:34 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 23, 2009, 07:38:51 PM

I am completely sick of corporate double-speak (and political double-speak, too.)  I'd rather they say nothing or actually say something meaningful.  Meaningful in this case is truthful and complete.  Saying they aren't going to double the price in the next few months isn't promising anything at all.  It could mean they are planning on increasing the price by 99.9% tomorrow.

I don't think MS should have responded to Pachter at all. Their response lends his prediction legitimacy.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:21:16 PM by Bob » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 08:27:38 PM »

they can't win.  if they say nothing, people will say they are staying quiet because it's true.  If they deny, people say they are denying it because it's true.  If they say it's true, people get pissed because it's true.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 08:32:18 PM »

Oh, this was Pachter? Why does anyone listen to Pachter? The guy is never right. But he must be a genius, because he's the only guy who's managed to get hired by a firm as a video games industry analyst and is therefore the only "analyst" that anyone can talk to.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »

Quote from: Bob on October 23, 2009, 08:14:34 PM

Quote from: KePoW on October 23, 2009, 07:38:51 PM

I am completely sick of corporate double-speak (and political double-speak, too.)  I'd rather they say nothing or actually say something meaningful.  Meaningful in this case is truthful and complete.  Saying they aren't going to double the price in the next few months isn't promising anything at all.  It could mean they are planning on increasing the price by 99.9% tomorrow.

I don't think MS should have responded to Pachter at all. Their response lends his prediction legitimacy.

Ok that makes more sense...ideally.

But in reality, what Harkonis said is true.  Imagine if MS said "no comment"... gamers would get all in a huff about that too.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 10:34:26 PM »

Article is really reaching for a story.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 10:47:17 PM »

Quote from: Darren8r on October 23, 2009, 06:00:04 PM

I'm selling my 360 today.
I wish I could donate to Sony or something. They have the basic set up, but they need better servers.

Donate to me and i will spend the $ on PS3 games.

morlac00 on PSN
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 11:14:34 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 23, 2009, 08:27:38 PM

they can't win.  if they say nothing, people will say they are staying quiet because it's true.  If they deny, people say they are denying it because it's true.  If they say it's true, people get pissed because it's true.

The problem here is, they didn't do any of the above. They didn't confirm, deny, or remain silent.  They issued a weak 'maybe' response.

Also, if they deny a false report, and someone tells themselves, "they are denying it because it's true" only by virtue of denying it, we can safely classify that person as an idiot.  If I say, "MS is secretly harvesting organs on the black market to build their own army of cyborgs", and MS issues a response, "UH, no we're not, nutjob", people would correctly say I am an idiot for making such a stupid baseless claim in the first place.  If a human being categorically states that any rumor denied is automatically true, that human being is a epic clueless moron.

As for the price increase, screw the 'doubling' noise.  If they raise the price a fucking nickel for features which slowed down the core function (game playing), they can go screw themselves.  As always in these posts, let me reiterate my position that the NXE ranks right with HOME as a terribly dumb idea.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 01:14:30 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if MS rolls out a platinum level membership with a higher fee and keeps gold where it is.  More content and services could justify a higher fee.  For instance, if a platinum level membership allowed you to play WoW in your living room from your 360, I think most people would say that a higher fee is justified.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 01:29:07 AM »

lol pachter is so fucking stupid.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 01:53:16 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 23, 2009, 08:32:18 PM

Oh, this was Pachter? Why does anyone listen to Pachter? The guy is never right. But he must be a genius, because he's the only guy who's managed to get hired by a firm as a video games industry analyst and is therefore the only "analyst" that anyone can talk to.

I often wonder the same thing.  I bet he gets paid a ton, too!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 02:52:44 AM »

Quote from: KC on October 24, 2009, 01:14:30 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if MS rolls out a platinum level membership with a higher fee and keeps gold where it is.  More content and services could justify a higher fee.  For instance, if a platinum level membership allowed you to play WoW in your living room from your 360, I think most people would say that a higher fee is justified.

whatever happened to that Diamond account?,was that U.S only?..and what did that do?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 09:29:08 AM »

Quote from: KC on October 24, 2009, 01:14:30 AM

Excellent point, but then WoW itself would have to be free, or cheap, to justify the price of a Platinum fee, no?  If something like that was covered by only the Platinum fee, that would be too large of a bargain... if WoW costs $15-$20 a month like FFXI did.  I doubt MS would give us that good of a deal (silly me, I'm being sarcastic about MS possibly caring about it's customers!)  I'm console-only, so I don't know much about WoW, but I can't imagine it's monthly fee is too far off in comparison to FFXI's.  

Metal, that Diamond thing is free, for now at least: I got a plastic card for signing up, ages ago.  It looks like a credit card or store card and allows me discounts at various places, if only I could remember that I have it and which stores it works in.  Hell, I'm not even certain that it's still valid, lol.  I don't know where else it was offered, but it was certainly offered in the U.S.

All of this is sheer speculation, of course, but the possibility that something is afoot will always draw lots of stir in gaming forums.  It's just another thing to talk about to pass the workday for many of you, or kill time for the out of work, retired, or disabled (and a few insomniacs.)  I say, bring it on!  If speculating about things like this was no fun, people would stop talking about how they'd spend the money if they won a big lottery - and that hasn't happened yet. (*Cue the daydream sequence where I think about what I'd do with 40 million dollars!*)  icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 12:06:34 AM »

I'd pay whatever they ask.  The service is that good to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: