http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:36:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Flight now available for download  (Read 1286 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2012, 06:15:39 AM »

Link to the site. Downloading now, 1.5 gigs. Free! Includes the Big Island of Hawaii and some planes. 

We’re proud to open the hangar doors and present the future of flying on your PC. Whether you’re a complete newcomer to aviation or an experienced PC pilot, we believe you’ll enjoy flying with us.

The release of Flight represents the culmination of three years of hard work and experimentation as we worked to reimagine the 30-year-old Flight Simulator franchise, push forward the evolution of the PC flying experience, and bring the thrill and wonder of flight to whole new audiences.

There’s a lot to do in Flight’s version of Hawaii, from basic flight instruction to hunts for hidden Aerocaches, from experimenting with different aircraft to showing off your skills in aerobatics challenges, from ferrying passengers and cargo around the islands to advancing your career as a pilot. We hope you’ll have fun exploring the environment we’ve built.

We’ve only scratched the surface of how we can deliver on our vision. There are a lot of opportunities on the horizon to continue to evolve the experience, and the team is already hard at work designing ways to fulfill the promise those opportunities represent. We’re excited about continuing to provide new and interesting ways to fly.

The future is bright. We hope you’ll enjoy what we’ve made so far and can’t wait to show you what we’re working on next.

See you in the sky!

Joshua Howard

Executive Producer, Microsoft Flight

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:34:04 AM »

Computer doesn't meet the minimum specs. *sigh* Oh well...
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »

Since it's been so long since I've played a PC game that actually required me to think about specs (most of my FPS and gaming is on the Xbox360) I guess I should mention my rig's performance in the game. I have an HP with an i7-2600S CPU, 2.80 GHz, 8GB of RAM. My video card is a pretty much bottom of the barrel Radeon HD 6570; I got this as an office machine rather than a gaming rig. Still, the game (and this is a game, not a sim, more below) runs fine at Low and Medium graphics settings and stutters just a bit at High. This is in daylight with some puffy clouds and pretty good sight distances.

This is not the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulators! The first hit, err, download is free to give you a taste. You get a nice little amphibian to fly around the Big Island of Hawaii. No NAVAIDS are available, although they are listed on the map. I suspect that as you upgrade these will become available. There is another plane, a Stearman, which you unlock by reaching level 2 or 3, you level up by getting XP through completing lessons, flying to new airports and completing missions and challenges.

The business model of the game is pretty much all DLC. It's 1600 Microsoft Points to unlock the rest of the state of Hawaii and more missions and (I think) planes. You can also spend MSP to buy a basic P-51 Mustang or a Maule. The Maule is needed for missions on the big island.

This is definitely a casual flight sim. In that respect, it's not a bad approach. You don't have to pony up $60 to get flying. Graphically it's prettier than FSX, the last Microsoft Flight Simulator version. Also, apparently the game is continuing in development. I suspect that if there isn't a lot of public reaction we won't be getting much more than we see now in the DLC, but if they do get some interest from folks they will add on stuff bit by bit.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:21:28 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on February 29, 2012, 07:34:04 AM

I'm slightly above the minimum, but based on my experiences of running FS since version 3.0 I know that's not nearly enough. Heck I barely get framerates in the 20's in FS 2004 with all the bells and whistle turned on and 3rd party scenery.  icon_confused
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:24:28 PM by kronovan » Logged
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:56:24 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 29, 2012, 06:21:28 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on February 29, 2012, 07:34:04 AM

I'm slightly above the minimum, but based on my experiences of running FS since version 3.0 I know that's not nearly enough. Heck I barely get framerates in the 20's in FS 2004 with all the bells and whistle turned on and 3rd party scenery.  icon_confused

Yeah, flight sims are among the most demanding, so it's not surprising. My computer's not a dual core and I'm finding it more and more common that dual core is needed, yet I'm not about to upgrade. I just can't spare that kind of expenses anymore.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:04:54 AM »

played around with it for the first two missions (tutorials basically) and the game looks nice.  it defaulted everything to High for me, and controls very nicely with the mouse and keyboard.  I doubt I'll spend any money on it until I get a decent flight stick set-up though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 03:11:14 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 01, 2012, 02:04:54 AM

I doubt I'll spend any money on it until I get a decent flight stick set-up though.

If you're happy flying less than realistic with some of the physics simulation turned off, you can make do with a twist-rudder stick. With all of the realism on though, you really need a full (stick+throttle+rudder pedals) setup.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 04:11:05 AM »

Yeah a HOTAS set up for sim flying is pretty much the only way to fly. I fired up A10 Warthog today and just used my Saitek Cyborg....I had to dial back the realism without the HOTAS set up.(hands on throttle and stick)

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: