http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:35:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft charges YOU for shipping of busted 360s  (Read 2167 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2006, 04:15:26 AM »

Yeah, and you thought Microsoft couldn't do any wrong. First they got cheap with their repair policy (standard shipping instead of 2 day), now they're making YOU PAY for shipping. Via Evil Avatar:

Starting today apparently, Microsoft no longer pays for shipping on the Xbox 360 parts and consoles covered under the warranty they offer. Pre-posted UPS boxes and cross-shipping are no longer covered under their warranty service.

Chris the Xbox 360 Hardware Supervisor (id#: 201780) says:

It is the responsibility of the customer to pay shipping costs for the repairs.

If you want any repairs at all, you must pay shipping.

Warranty items will not be cross-shipped.

Customers were not informed of this change in the warranty process unless they called in and request another repair.

Any customers who paid for repairs on a console with a Manufacture date in 2005 will be recieving a reimbursement check sent to their mailing address listed on their account.

I am aware of pending class action lawsuits against Microsoft concerning the 360 console hardware and I do not wish to comment on them.

I do not wish to have our conversation recorded. It's just against company policy.

I just checked USPS.com and, not including shipping materials, the cost of shipping a 360 console is upwards of $15USD. Moral of the story? Get an extended service plan with the place you purchase you console from. At least they won't charge you for repairs during their warranty period.

So...with my double repair to and from Microsoft (as my first 'repair' was anything but), I would've paid $60 just for shipping my POS system. And it still has one of the JET FANS OF DOOM in it.

I am SO glad I have a warranty through my Gamestop right now it's not even funny.

Good luck to all of you who currently have a 360 in transit. May Microsoft not charge you.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 04:20:45 AM »

I am aware of pending class action lawsuits against Microsoft concerning the 360 console hardware and I do not wish to comment on them.
Good!  It needs a longer warranty and less jerking around with the repair/return process.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 04:25:01 AM »

I'm so getting my 360 at Costco on the day I decide to pull the trigger. Should it ever fail back to the store it goes for a full refund, with none of this lame ass Microsoft bullcrap. But reading between the lines though tells me that Microsoft must be receiving a ton of 360s back in for repair. If they're losing their shirts paying for all these POS consoles back then it's possible that something was wrong to begin with.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 07:26:57 AM »

Yeah.... of course if I have to send mine back again, I'll be sending it next day, at least I'll have less downtime.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 10:29:25 AM »

Hmm. Does anyone know if Frys offers an extended warranty plan through their website?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 10:32:37 AM »

That's too bad, there really must have been a ton of 360s going back to them for repair and the cost was too much of a burden on MS, so they pass it off to us instead because of problems with their hardware.

Maybe on the bright side this means the newer and future models will be built more stable. Almost any console's launch batch are going to have problems, I know they've already switched dvd drives once or twice in the 360, just as they did with the original xbox.

Has anyone had a newer (maybe june 06 or later) model fail yet? My april '06 recently got the red lights of death recently (woudn't even so much as open the disc drive) and my current august 06 model is working fine. Whether it stays that way or not, who knows.. but I definitely take good care of my systems and IMO, it's not fair to us to have such expensive hardware fail so frequently.

I'm on my third, and hopefully last, 360 right now.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 12:29:01 PM »

The one I just got was built in June 06.  Are there known manufacture dates that have more trouble than others?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 12:32:31 PM »

I better damn well not have to pay to ship my system.  Gonna be pissed if I don't get a working one back this time.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »

oooh just missed it.....mine came back about 3 weeks ago

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Irongut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 01:25:51 PM »

Mine is arriving at the Texas repair center tomorrow probably.  It was a May or June 06 manufactured system.  I wonder if they will hit me with shipping it back since its mid repair cycle. 

Honestly, I have had some fun with my 360, but I only had it from 8/15 - 10/15 and by mid / late September it was already acting flakey.  I never got red rings, my dvd had trouble detecting/reading 360 discs, it would crash out of games (probably having trouble accessing data) and also would stutter when streaming from the HD (i.e. Call of Duty 2 intro movies etc).  There was no fragmentation, I had reformated the harddrive during trouble shooting to no avail.

I feel like I'm standing on a cliff overlooking 'Totally Dissatisfied Valley.'  This isnt even the earliest I've ever bought a launch unit for a new console(August 06) but I have never had suched mixed feelings before.  I admit I was totally excited about it so spent a good deal of green on extra accessories (controller #2, plugncharge, quickcharge etc etc), let alone games.... and regardless of the corporate spin, it just seems a far too sensitive and poorly manufactured item.  I know I'm gonna be biased, but wouldnt you with problems developing within 100 hours of playtime.  Technical complexity is not an excuse for units pushed to retail that fail.  Every time I would go to boot it up I would experience at least one false start, one crash out etc, usually multiple.  I was babying it too and following all the recommended best practices.  Never played it long enough that it even blew out warm air.

Loved my XBOX1 (I still have 2 of 'em and that unit didnt deserve its quick corporate execution).  This policy change is a clear indicator that there are far too many issues with the hardware revisions to date and MS cant absorb the cost anymore.  It was rushed to market and consumers even with warranty are paying the price.  Heck even if you do trade in for a bigbox store warranty, be prepared to only have access to your XBLA purchases when you are logged into Live.  Maybe thats not such an issue now, but someday it will be, when Microsoft has something new and shiny to roll out and kicks its own 360 (like XBOX1) to the curb to move on.  I dont even know why I'm so mad, I know there are other folks with worse horror stories (then again, maybe mine i just starting)

I hope when they release their financials next time around, we can get a glimmer into how much the 360 is costing them, not just from a loss per unit perspective, but also around repairs and associated costs.  It was interesting that the article linked above references a class action lawsuit, more power to those folks.  Maybe discovery will lead to some interesting numbers, MS has been hiding under the rug.

I know.  Arent I Mr Smiley this morning, and looking up, ohmigosh I wrote a book.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 01:43:30 PM by Irongut » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 02:53:55 PM »

dear friend,

bill & i are delighted to offer you yet another opportunity to make a difference! a portion of every 'defunct 360' shipping charge you pay will go toward the purchase of needed medicines for underpriviledged children via the gates foundation. no need to thank us - we enjoy doing this type of thing...

sincerely,
melinda

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 03:05:36 PM »

The thread title is missing the "In Soviet Russia..." prelude. Let's get with the program here.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »

Quote from: Irongut on October 17, 2006, 01:25:51 PM

Mine is arriving at the Texas repair center tomorrow probably.  It was a May or June 06 manufactured system.  I wonder if they will hit me with shipping it back since its mid repair cycle.

Mine should have arrived at the repair center today. They better not try to charge to ship it back.  icon_mad

LiveTAG: happydog
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 05:04:50 PM »

microsoft are a bunch of whores, always have been.  So much for their claims of 1-4% failure rates, now we know the truth.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 05:48:34 PM »

This all makes me want to postpone my 360 purchase even longer.  At least until they get some of these issues straightened out.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 05:58:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 17, 2006, 05:48:34 PM

This all makes me want to postpone my 360 purchase even longer.  At least until they get some of these issues straightened out.

Unfortunately I think these issues are ingrained into the company culture and will never get straightened out. 

Oh wait, you meant the technical issues?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 06:45:19 PM »

I woudn't worry about it so long as you get it at a place like Costco or Gamestop with their 2 year warranty ($40) if anything happens to it just bring it back to the store for a new one.
It's those of us who didn't get any warranties, or the Microsoft extended one, that are paying the bills here because of problems on their side, not ours.
I'm on my third 360 now and am giving MS the benefit of the doubt that their later models (august 06 is my current one) had most of the issues ironed out from the earlier models.
If this one breaks down, I might just go out and sell my soul to buy a new PC and be done with console gaming!  icon_evil 

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 06:57:56 PM »

As an aside, when I had to have my ps2 fixed, I had to pay for shipping.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 07:35:41 PM »

Well too bad I just bought my 360 at a great discount from Tower records, paid less than $300 bucks for a premium. Unfortunately I can't get a warranty from them because they are going out of business, so the $50 for a 2 year warranty from MS sounds good to me, I don't care if I have to pay 15 bucks for shipping, I'll still come out ahead for the most part.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 09:09:37 PM »

The day mine breaks and isn't repaired for free is the day I stop playing and buying 360 games.  Ridiculous that such an expensive device has so many issues.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 09:48:15 PM »

Think I could buy a warranty from Gamestop, even if I didn't buy the system from them?  (Probably a retarded question).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 10:03:36 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 17, 2006, 07:35:41 PM

Well too bad I just bought my 360 at a great discount from Tower records, paid less than $300 bucks for a premium. Unfortunately I can't get a warranty from them because they are going out of business, so the $50 for a 2 year warranty from MS sounds good to me, I don't care if I have to pay 15 bucks for shipping, I'll still come out ahead for the most part.

Which Tower Records was this!?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 10:25:16 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 17, 2006, 10:03:36 PM

All of them, I believe. Tower Records went belly up.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 11:59:16 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 17, 2006, 03:05:36 PM

The thread title is missing the "In Soviet Russia..." prelude. Let's get with the program here.

Cute. Didn't think of that.  icon_smile

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 17, 2006, 09:48:15 PM

Think I could buy a warranty from Gamestop, even if I didn't buy the system from them?  (Probably a retarded question).

Unless you know a manager or something that works there, odds are very heavily against you being able to do that.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 12:02:31 AM »

I have the microsoft warranty and the next time my 360 breaks and they tell me to pony up money to ship it they can go f##! themselves costco here I come.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 04:26:13 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 17, 2006, 10:25:16 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on October 17, 2006, 10:03:36 PM

All of them, I believe. Tower Records went belly up.

Eh.  Some of the Towers in Northern Va didn't sell video games.  Since Tebunker lives in the same general area as I do, I was hoping he could point me at a particular store.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: