http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:00:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS4 Reviews!  (Read 1706 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2008, 07:31:49 AM »

So far so good. Most of the reviews are coming in good so far. I`m have mixed feelings about the whole series, but I think I`m going to like this one bigtime. Look at those production values! So I think I`m grabbing it at midnight tommarrow. Anyone else?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:34:13 PM »

Just go ahead and rename this thread MGS4 Impressions and let's make it official.

I'm not going to go at midnight, but I'm planning on playing it a good deal Thursday night.

I'm just about down with MGS3 and am anxious to play MGS4 for sho.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:53:24 PM »

I expect we'll see reviews drop a bit in the coming days, either because some companies try and penalize the game for Konami's draconian review NDAs or because Konami may have had an embargo that only allows early reviews if they meet a certain minimum score like Ubi did with AC (the latter is just speculation). 
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:12:27 PM »

Only reviews that I listen to are the ones from other gamers (and GTs of course  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.)
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:13:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 11, 2008, 12:53:24 PM

I expect we'll see reviews drop a bit in the coming days, either because some companies try and penalize the game for Konami's draconian review NDAs or because Konami may have had an embargo that only allows early reviews if they meet a certain minimum score like Ubi did with AC (the latter is just speculation). 
I heard that Konami had an embargo on the cutscene length, meaning you couldn't mention it in early reviews, along with a few other caveats. I've only read through the Eurogamer review, and they give specifics on the cutscene's length there.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 03:20:03 PM »

I think Eurogamer gave the finger to Konami's embargo all around since they were also the first to mention the between act installs (which is what I think Konami was really trying to hide instead of the total footprint which is pretty much a non-issue). 

The fact that EG is the only non-print review to give the game less than a 9 is also what leads me to believe that Konami might have pulled an Assassin's Creed and embargoed reviews that didn't score the game above a certain threshold.  I find it rather curious that, in addition to 1Up (who have already stated that they refused to review the game early under Konami's conditions), most of the other major online outlets are quiet.  Especially considering pretty much ever IGN region except the US published their review a while ago. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »

the konami review fiasco concerns me a bit, but i think they have reason to be concerned.  mgs2 was so highly rated but popularly lambasted that it hurt mgs3, imo.  they want to cut down on the pre launch buzz kill that a hugely critical review would do, and i think critics are more likely to drop the scores simply because it's an mgs game.

the eg review sounds like the perfect middle ground for mgs players.  it has the good, bad and the ugly, and it doesn't dissaude me from playing.  it confirms why i like the series, even as i dislike its flaws.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:05:40 PM »

I thought the Eurogamer review was great- it pretty much told me that I'll probably absolutely love the game. 
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:18:15 PM »

5 and half hours!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on June 11, 2008, 10:18:15 PM

5 and half hours!

Is that the install time, the total length of the cutscenes, or the total length of the actual gameplay?   slywink
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:44:51 PM by Graham » Logged

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:21:57 PM »

Quote from: Graham on June 12, 2008, 08:15:39 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on June 11, 2008, 10:18:15 PM

5 and half hours!

Is that the install time, the total length of the cutscenes, or the total length of the actually gameplay?   slywink

LOL,thanks...thats what i was gonna ask as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 08:09:57 PM »

Looks like Konami's draconian NDAs didn't effect the scores of those outlets who decided to wait- both IGN US and Gamespot gave the game a 10. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 08:51:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 13, 2008, 08:09:57 PM

Looks like Konami's draconian NDAs didn't effect the scores of those outlets who decided to wait- both IGN US and Gamespot gave the game a 10. 

yeah,... what's with that? smile ...

(i still think reviews are crap, btw...)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 01:16:02 AM »

Tom Chick trashed it.

http://www.crispygamer.com/_GeneratedPages/GameReviews/Review170.aspx

I generally agree with his reviews and he kind of confirmed my fears about buying the game if you are unfamiliar with the storyline.  Having passed on Ninja Gaiden 2, Prizefighter, and now MGS4 I am really jonesing for something new to play.

Maybe Grid is on sale somewhere.... paranoid

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 01:21:08 AM »

Yes, the second half of the game is complete fan service.  As a huge fan, I adored it but I can't fathom a non-fan enjoying it.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 17, 2008, 01:21:08 AM

Yes, the second half of the game is complete fan service.  As a huge fan, I adored it but I can't fathom a non-fan enjoying it.

You know what? I think I'm okay with that.  With a series as long running, popular, and widely available as this one is, I think it's a fair assumption (requirement) that the player be at least relatively familiar with the story so far.  I've never liked series that spend the first chapter/act/prologue recapping the previous episodes.  If you're going into the last episode of a trilogy without knowing what happened in episodes 1 and 2, you know what? You should be confused.  I don't remember Return of the Jedi doing a lot of explaining about why this dude in black with the magic powers is going to rescue the other dude who was frozen in that block of metal.

Aiming the criticism of "I didn't play the other six games in this legendarily plot-heavy game, and now I don't know what's going on!" at this game is a bit silly.  Criticize the mechanics all you want.  Criticize the acting, writing, heavy-handedness of it all, and that's both fine and fair.  But to say "I don't get it, and you didn't explain it to me" is a poor argument to make.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 03:03:52 AM »

I absolutely agree.  I am continually surprised at people who expect differently though- I recall lots of complaints about Halo 3 not properly preparing new players to the series as well. 

I do think Konami has some culpability though.  I recall a lot of instances of producer Ryan Peyton advertising MGS4 as a good jumping on point.  I think that's misleading advertising personally.

It looks very much like any future Metal Gear games will be starting relatively fresh and I think that's when Konami should be pushing to bring "new" players onboard. 
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 03:22:08 AM »

MGS is the "poster child" of the love it or hate it school of thought for video games, and MGS 4 isn't going to be any different.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 17, 2008, 01:16:02 AM

'Perhaps most disappointing is that Kojima seems to have lost some of his playfulness...'

while the reviewer's apparently lost all of his (if he ever had any to begin with - i've never read anything by him before): this isn't so much a review of mgs4 as it is a long-time grudge boiling over... which's fine, tho it does make you wonder just what it is about kojima &/or the mgs series that obviously angers him so much...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »

Haven't read chick yet- i'll wait till i'm done with the game, but the game seems pretty playful to me.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 11:22:56 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 19, 2008, 09:00:00 PM

Haven't read chick yet- i'll wait till i'm done with the game, but the game seems pretty playful to me.

telling people not to buy the game? - whatever... telling people not to even try (as in 'rent', i assume) one of the major releases of the year? - wtf is that all about? is he afraid someone might actually like it?...

just plain nasty thumbsdown ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: