http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 11:09:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS4 Release Date....It's Today!!  (Read 23619 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2008, 03:08:15 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 17, 2008, 02:08:10 AM

Ok Kevin, I do have one question...again my MGS background is that I played through MGS on the original PS and I played half of MGS2 on the Xbox.  So with that in mind....who is Liquid Ocelot?  I know there was an Ocelot that got his hand cut off in MGS and he looks like the dude in the MGS4 trailers. 

MGS2 Spoiler:
Spoiler for Hiden:
  Ocelot replaced his missing arm with one from Liquid's corpse.  However, that caused some sort of bizarre personality transference where at times Liquid would overtake Ocelot's personality and take control of the body.  While I haven't been pooring over every story detail of MGS4 that's been released (don't  want to be too spoiled), I thik the name Liquid Ocelot in MGS4 symbolizes either that Liquid is in predominate control over Ocelot's body or that the personalities merge.  Bizarre?  Sure is.  Though stories of people inheriting memories and personality traits from limb and organ transplants have long been the subject of many B-movies so it's pretty at home in the MGS universe.   How this is occurred is not explained in MGS2.  Presumably it will be explicitly explained in MGS4 but, based on information revealed in MGS3 we can speculate...

Never played MGS3?  Are you going to?  You really should.  It's an amazing game and I would hate to spoil it.  However if you are intent on being spoiled...

MGS3 spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
  In MGS3 it is revealed that Ocelot is the son of Boss (not to be confused with Big Boss) and The Sorrow.  The Sorrow has the unique ability to commune with spirits.  So it's very likely that Ocelot inherited some of this ability from his father and that's what's enabling him to commune with Liquid's spirit.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2008, 03:12:15 AM »

Thanks Kevin, I'd like to play through 3, but I was dumb and got the 40 GB ps and I refuse to shell out all the money for a ps2, cables, memory card, and games, etc.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2008, 03:20:51 AM »

Oh, bummer.  I think the MGS Saga discs are primarily targeted as refreshers to people who have already played the games so it might be worthwhile to do some youtube hunting for cutscene compilations, Gamefaqs story summaries,  or maybe check out metalgearsolid.org which has a wealth of information about the series. 

From what I've heard, they are trying to go out of their way in MGS4 to put in-game catch up features in play (you'll get the option periodically to select "flashbacks" that will recap relevant bits of story).  I'm a bit dubious about this effort because, frankly, I think there is too much backstory in play at this point to make MGS4 a reasonable jumping on point, especially since this has to pick up the pieces from the mind boggling MGS2.  I think it would be better to close out the "Solid" series as intended with this one and then make "Metal Gear Plasma" or whatever follows as a jumping on place for newcomers. 

But I'm more than happy to answer any and all questions- I love to talk about Metal Gear!  Heck, I'm one of the few people who understand MGS2!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2008, 03:41:39 AM »

Can anyone tell me how many digits you have in your code?  My download code isn't working (it's saying it's not valid).  However the voucher number I have is in the format:

XXXX-XXXX-X

and having only one digit for the final section seems odd to me so I'm wondering if my voucher is in error.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2008, 03:45:24 AM »

It's a printing error.
There are supposed to be 12 digiits.

It looks like we need to send an email to [email protected] with the 9 digit code and they will either supply the missing digits or a new 12 digit code.

Seems to be pretty widespread.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 03:48:06 AM by stimpy » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2008, 03:45:48 AM »

Uh oh, I have 12 digits, Kevin.  I remember reading something about bad 9-digit vouchers on NeoGAF...

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 17, 2008, 04:00:54 AM »

My code was xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: April 17, 2008, 04:04:28 AM »

'pounded' isn't the right word.  more like useless, and fuct up, and 'oh crap i'm going to get stuck with a crap name'

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 17, 2008, 04:27:32 AM »

Ah, thanks guys.  Looks like I need to send that email....
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: April 17, 2008, 05:11:03 AM »

man, that sucks kevin.  hopefully they can get everything all figured out soon.

this has not been a good launch for the beta.  inadequate registration server, slow patch download system and misprinted codes.  let's hope the beta goes better

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2008, 05:18:46 AM »

Quote from: Caine on April 17, 2008, 05:11:03 AM

this has not been a good launch for the beta.  inadequate registration server, slow patch download system and misprinted codes.  let's hope the beta goes better

I guess it's a good thing they are doing this for a beta and not for retail release.  Although I do think Konami made a good decision in allowing beta downloads before you can actually play.  I imagine the outcry would be far more severe if all of these issues were actually preventing people from playing tonight.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »

Kojima's disappointed with MGS4.  Not really gameplay-wise, but graphics-wise:

"Game-wise, it's pretty close to the original vision: you sneak into the battlefield and can choose whether to do a stealth game or interfere with the battle more directly. But the graphic, side things like motion-blending and the size of the map, totally was not accomplished to my original vision - to my satisfaction.

"When we first showed the game engine at TGS, the staff were really proud and happy. PS3 was a dream machine, y'know, and we were going to work on this and that - and we had so many ideas. But when we actually started developing the game, we realized there were a lot of restrictions and so it turned out how you see it today. The original vision was to go ten steps further, the reality was just one step, which isn't to say we didn't progress.

Sort of sad to hear from Kojima, but the man IS a perfectionist...

And at least he's happy with the gameplay and fulfilling the credo of interfering with a war on the battlefield.

I'm still excited, Hideo!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »

LOL the guy is a kook!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »

The game seems to look great in screenshots, the only element of the graphics that is bothering me at this point is the horrid shade of green and grey over everything.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 18, 2008, 06:10:51 PM

The game seems to look great in screenshots, the only element of the graphics that is bothering me at this point is the horrid shade of green and grey over everything.

The latest Kojima Report or whatever (the podcast) said that the MAJORITY of screenshots that everyone has seen has been from like, the first chapter in three or four or something... so I'm expecting the game to show off some different locales.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2008, 07:38:15 PM »

I don't know what Kojima is talking about, the gameplay trailers have graphics that blow me away.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2008, 07:47:38 PM »

I'm sure the corporate bigwigs at Konami are shaking their heads at this.  I understand what Kojima is saying but it doesn't play well in sound bites. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »

has anyone been able to create an account since the beta was available?  it has been horribly slow and has the nasty tendency to time out on you, forcing you back to the start.  what makes that worse is when the page timeout period is reached waiting for the previous page to load, meaning as soon as you get to next one you have to go back.  that alone is pissing me off to no end.  i've been able to hit the account creation screen 3 times only to lose it all that way.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »

I believe they announced that the site is down for the time being.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2008, 10:24:28 PM »

I was able to create a account last night.
It was pretty late, like 2 a.m. so I think the traffic was less at that time.
The whole process kinda sucks though.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2008, 11:16:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 18, 2008, 07:47:38 PM

I'm sure the corporate bigwigs at Konami are shaking their heads at this.  I understand what Kojima is saying but it doesn't play well in sound bites. 

well, yeah,... but i'm pretty sure they've already been shaking their heads over kojima for years now, anyway smile ...

edit: my question is:

will the futuristic vehicle he's riding be in the game?...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:54:51 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on April 18, 2008, 10:24:28 PM

i'll try it the next time the little one wakes me up for a bleary-eyed feeding at 0-fuk-it's-dark in the morning.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2008, 11:31:08 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 21, 2008, 06:01:27 PM

Quote from: stimpy on April 18, 2008, 10:24:28 PM

i'll try it the next time the little one wakes me up for a bleary-eyed feeding at 0-fuk-it's-dark in the morning.

finally got registered yesterday, but hell if i can get konami to send me the email they're supposed to send (i've had them resend twice, & yes, i've checked my junk mail)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2008, 03:10:40 PM »

MGS4 theme got posted on the PSN for Europe.  Hopefully it makes it to the U.S. today.  I have been hoping they would make one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2008, 10:46:59 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 24, 2008, 03:10:40 PM

MGS4 theme got posted on the PSN for Europe.  Hopefully it makes it to the U.S. today.  I have been hoping they would make one.

Bah, we didn't get it in the U.S.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2008, 10:52:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 24, 2008, 10:46:59 PM

Quote from: The Grue on April 24, 2008, 03:10:40 PM

Bah, we didn't get it in the U.S.

dood! - just create an account...

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2008, 05:29:27 AM »

Keep in mind that the Siren: New Translation demo was released on the Japanese PSN.  Creepy as heck from what I've heard.  But it's something to try besides downloading the MGO beta.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »

If MGO looks THIS sexy....

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2008, 02:34:16 PM »

I played MGO for one match this morning and I have one complaint.  It takes forever to kill someone.  Not sure I like that.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2008, 04:36:33 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 25, 2008, 02:34:16 PM

I played MGO for one match this morning and I have one complaint.  It takes forever to kill someone.  Not sure I like that.

Not if you shoot the head slywink

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2008, 09:04:11 PM »

jesus christ on a moped,this has been nothing but a pain

downloaded the 'beta' from psn....that took 3 hrs,the patch took another 3-4 hrs,then the second patch took another hour,then going to the konami site to create a 'konami ID' and 'Game ID'...took another 20-30 minutes,because all my ideas for names were taken..then when i got that sorted out and confirmed the email thing,the servers were full because of traffick(no shit sherlock)

i have been in a few beta's and this has been worse than siging up for final fantasy 11!!,seriously konami need to pony up with decent servers for one thing to let the people play and let them download the patches faster......and why cant we just use our damn PSN account????

and i am still not sure if this bluetooth headset(which is really an earpiece,who the fuck named it a headset?)works!!

sorry,as you can see...i am pissed!!!!

the gameplay trailer looked a bit shit anyway,looked stupid and jerky,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2008, 09:37:53 PM »

The multiplayer is burdened by too much state switching.  For example, to be combat effective you have to keep jumping around between free look third person, over the shoulder third person aiming, first person aiming, etc...

They thankfully reduced the amount of presses you need for either and overall it's a lot easier than previous metal gears.  But it's clear that these controls are still more for single player games.

Sticking to cover is useless because of how slow it is to do anything while in cover, and it doesn't really give you that much of a benefit.  To pop out of cover to shoot it's a slow awkward animation where instead of keeping your body behind cover and just showing a small part of you, you pop out your whole body out of cover to fire, there's even a lag between pressing the button to pop out and shoot, and shooting.

Even despite the problems, the game can be quite fun.  But, they need more interesting game modes, and more fluid gameplay online.  I think they're going to have to make some hard decisions between going for gamey gameplay a la Metal Gear, and the Western style shooter.

One thing is for sure though.  Besides CoD4 this doesn't do much to fill the niche that FPS competative online FPS gamers in the US, it's definitely not for the FPS crowd.  But, on the other hand, if they put in some good modes, MG players who want a more tactical experience online and can work together will be rewarded.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2008, 09:56:19 PM »

i actually just got onto a server and have been playing for the last 30 or so minutes...hated it,very much so

its so slow and Turtle you are right about the controls,especially switching to grenade etc

for some reason after i die for the first time in a game i respawn and then die again straight away,not sure whats going on there,also i had to aim and then fire on the enemy for a looong time until he actually died as well,i am talking 4-5 seconds of constant shooting and hitting him...maybe i have missed something i dunno,but that was me hitting him in the head as well

i liked the character custom screen...but that was about it for the whole experience,and maybe the part where you have to waggle the left stick if you get stunned to be awake again(you waggle the infamous 'MGS above head stars' away)..but i can see that becomeing very tiresome

graphics were nice,not wow though

if this is a seperate purchase like rumoured,i definetly wont be buying it

i enjoyed lost planet online more than this

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2008, 12:15:38 AM »

The main problem with this, and MG series in general is that they've been mixing both a very Japanese gamey style mechanics such as state switching and the three camera modes, with more American simulation/free movement style mechanics (headshots kill in one hit, FPS view, etc...).

The two work together in the single player, or maybe even co-op where different players can use these features at their leasure.  But in a fast paced online game, or at least online modes like these that are basically deathmatch variants, the gamey aspects just make the controls confusing, and the simulation aspects make it so that the Western FPS gamers can dominate in ways.

Try playing the game like this.  Make sure to set the Camera Switch to Camera oriented.  Then, make sure you only use the over the shoulder aim view when you want to aim  Move around freely, and when you want to shoot at someone just hold L1 to aim.  Don't bother with auto aiming or FPS view for now and just treat it like a basic third person shooter.  Once you get that down, start experimenting with how the auto aim and first person views can help.  Always aim for the head as certain weapons have very fast firing rates, and 1-2 hits to the head will kill them.  Never stick to cover, it's useless and slows you down.  Just crouch behind it and you'll be fine.

Now, I think the game is quite fun, and I've got the controls down, anyone who goes through the single player MGS will find it easier to jump into MGO.  But I also know that the controls are really going to detract from the game with American shooter crowd.  I very sure that because of the controls and related game mechanics problems, it's not going to get the kind of audience that Konami wants (as evidenced by how Konami stupidly bypassed the PSN and made their own matchmaking servers).  However, this game isn't exactly made for the shooter crowd.

Oh and there's actually more room for stealth in MGO than you'd think.  Besides having a third person camera at all times allowing you greater situational awareness even while you're hidden, you can keep your body behind an obstacle and use the camera to look over.  Also, the game constantly spawns cardboard boxes in various places.  Most people don't check every box they see and if there's fighting, they're more likely to ignore a stationary box that looks exactly like 2-4 other boxes in view.

MGO screams out for co-op missions or adversarial multiplayer that's completely objective based.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 12:27:38 AM by Turtle » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2008, 01:17:20 AM »

YES, a welcome addition, since using a cardbox box in the other Metal Gear Solid games online pretty much equaled death if you tried to fool people.

I've shot an entire round at a box, being so freakin' paranoid when a dude jumped out of one and killed me earlier in the match.

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2008, 01:27:51 AM »

just checked out the tutorial (which's as far as i'm going). looks nice enough, sounds great, & the controls seem comfortable once you figure'm out - & are able to take your own sweet time smile ...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »

So, the MGO discussions has kind of moved to the Multiplayer forum, but the new map and gametype are out, and you can now play as Snake!

The new map, btw, is gorgeous and is easily the best of the 3 in the beta.

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2008, 09:45:51 PM »

yeah i heard about the new map...didnt know there was already two maps though!!!

and i will come along to the multiplayer discussion,only i prolly wont play this again for a few days....GTA4 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 01, 2008, 09:05:14 PM »

Kojima is definitely up to something....MGS remake on the MGS4 disc?????

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/27108/PlayStation-3/Metal-Gear-Solid-4-Guns-of-the-Patriots
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 01, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »

I don't want to watch that vid for fear of spoiling anything, but is there any validity to an MGS remake?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: