http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 01:19:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS4 Release Date....It's Today!!  (Read 23481 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2008, 01:40:26 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 27, 2008, 01:23:46 AM

Quote from: Darren8r on February 27, 2008, 01:16:13 AM

Quote from: Ridah on February 26, 2008, 11:42:31 PM

I'm betting that 6+ months down the line a "complete" version of MGS4 hits the 360 which includes the PS3 version plus the online component.
I bet your betting right, Microsoft would be insanely stupid not to ship truck loads of money over to get it to the 360.

Noooooooo way.

*If* it does get ported to the 360, I don't see them including the online MGS with MGS4 together at a normal game price. 

I disagree.  Actually I think that is exactly what will happen sometime in 2009.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2008, 02:09:48 AM »

*If* it does get ported to the 360,

<shrug>

so what if it's a port?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2008, 03:09:49 AM »

We shouldn't have to pay extra for the online portion anyways, if I buy MGS4 on June 12th for the PS3 there's no way I'm paying an additional fee (unless we're talking about a $5 download, that's the max I would pay) for the rest of the game. If anything, WE are the ones doing Konami a favor by not bitching about missing the online component in the first place.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2008, 03:14:41 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 27, 2008, 03:09:49 AM

We shouldn't have to pay extra for the online portion anyways, if I buy MGS4 on June 12th for the PS3 there's no way I'm paying an additional fee (unless we're talking about a $5 download, that's the max I would pay) for the rest of the game. If anything, WE are the ones doing Konami a favor by not bitching about missing the online component in the first place.

There is an online component in MGS4.  It's just more limited compared to what will be in the separate MGO. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 03:45:01 AM »

I'm betting that 6+ months down the line a "complete" version of MGS4 hits the 360 which includes the PS3 version plus the online component.

Just like MGS 3!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 04:51:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 27, 2008, 02:09:48 AM

<shrug>

so what if it's a port?

It's a big deal because no 360 games have ever been ported to the PS3, amirite? Hold on, wait, what?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 04:58:38 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 27, 2008, 04:51:24 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 27, 2008, 02:09:48 AM

<shrug>

so what if it's a port?

It's a big deal because no 360 games have ever been ported to the PS3, amirite? Hold on, wait, what?

Will you marry me?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2008, 05:13:41 AM »

I bet your betting right, Microsoft would be insanely stupid not to ship truck loads of money over to get it to the 360.

Noooooooo way.

*If* it does get ported to the 360, I don't see them including the online MGS with MGS4 together at a normal game price. 

I agree with TML. I expect that MGS4 will be ported to the 360, and updated with a few extra features to get the fans who own both systems to buy it a second time, but I sincerely can't see them releasing MGSO + MGS4 together for the price of one regular release. Not gonna happen.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2008, 06:44:04 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 27, 2008, 05:13:41 AM

Noooooooo way.

I agree with TML. I expect that MGS4 will be ported to the 360, and updated with a few extra features to get the fans who own both systems to buy it a second time, but I sincerely can't see them releasing MGSO + MGS4 together for the price of one regular release. Not gonna happen.

Why not? To me it would make absolutely no sense to release them seperately if by the time a 360 version was released MGSO was already on shelves or available for download. Putting them on one disc seems is common sense, especially considering the importance of online gaming to the 360 community.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 07:31:21 AM »

Heh, problem is they won't fit on the same disc.  slywink

But really, while it's true MS will be ponying up truckloads of money for MGS to go multiplatform, Sony will pony up even more to make sure it doesn't.  Remember, this is real competition here.

However, in the end what matters is sales.  If sales are poor for the PS3 MGS4, we'll see a 360 version 6 months down the line.  However, it's very likely that it'll sell really well and that Sony will pay through the nose to keep MGS4 on the PS3, but Konami isn't stupid, they'll make sure there's a clause in any contract they sign that allows them to go multiplatform if a certain level of sales isn't reached.  This is probably why Sony made a MGS4 bundle in the first place.

And don't start with the fanboy crap either.  It's just good business sense to pay craploads of money to keep a high profile game exclusive to your system, especially when your system needs a lot more high profile games to help promote it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:42:13 AM by Turtle » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 07:36:52 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 27, 2008, 07:31:21 AM

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 07:50:14 AM »

And don't start with the fanboy crap either. 

Yeah... ok.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 08:20:20 AM »

Yeah... it is ok.  I mean others can drop those kind of little jabs and not get called on it, but I can't because I'm saying it about a PS3?  Isn't that a bit double standard there?

And way to selectively quote.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 09:19:27 AM »

Twelve months from now, it won't matter if MGS4 comes to the Xbox 360. Old news is old news, and I doubt MS will pay "buckets" of money to get a game that is getting as Gray as Snake's hair.  Besides, I still think MS looks at Splinter Cell Conviction as their answer to MGS4, even though the two are fairly far apart.

I'll hold out and hope for the best because I prefer the xbox controller and I have a large backlog of games, but if MGS4 does come to the 360 it will be because Konami needs MS, not the other way around.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 12:52:17 PM »

Well, MSG4 would be the game to get me to buy a PS3, no doubt...but not at the 399.00 or 499. price point.

If i find out that MSG4 is coming out even two years later on 360, I can wait though as, again, there are games on the PS3 that I'd like to play, butnone that I have to play...though MGS4 does fall into that latter category- there's the whole problem of expense.

I hope MGS4 is a blockbuster and moves PS3s like bananas.  But I also hope the SDF won't be all 'the 360 is conquerz' like they were when the Jan NPDs were released.

Question: Do you think that the announcement of a date will boost sales of the PS3 from now until launch or only the month and month after launch?

I don't think the Halo date announcement had any impact until the actual month. Wonder if the MGS4 date + HD Death will lead to a sustainable uptick.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 12:56:46 PM »

Well if I had to choose between getting a PS3 now with a sixaxis controller now or waiting and getting a PS3 with a Dual Shock controller, I would definitely wait.  A lot of people might be thinking the same thing, especially if, like you, the only game they want is MGS4
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2008, 01:40:42 PM »

So your supposition is that Sony can better afford to pay for this than Microsoft (if they so desire)?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »

But really, while it's true MS will be ponying up truckloads of money for MGS to go multiplatform, Sony will pony up even more to make sure it doesn't.  Remember, this is real competition here.

However, in the end what matters is sales.  If sales are poor for the PS3 MGS4, we'll see a 360 version 6 months down the line.  However, it's very likely that it'll sell really well and that Sony will pay through the nose to keep MGS4 on the PS3, but Konami isn't stupid, they'll make sure there's a clause in any contract they sign that allows them to go multiplatform if a certain level of sales isn't reached.  This is probably why Sony made a MGS4 bundle in the first place.

And don't start with the fanboy crap either.  It's just good business sense to pay craploads of money to keep a high profile game exclusive to your system, especially when your system needs a lot more high profile games to help promote it.

Eh, just look at the GTA series- Sony only paid for six month exclusivity.  Timed exclusives are very effective- it's relatively rare for a port six or so months later to sell comparably to what the original release did (Even GTA, which did excellent by any standard on Xbox, only sold about 10-20% of what the PS2 versions did).  Gaming is very focused on the latest and greatest and it's hard for a lot of gamers to get really excited about a game that came out on another system six or more months ago (ie an eternity in the video game world). 

EDIT- Ah, I just clicked on the second page of the thread and see Dante said basically the same thing. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:44:55 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »

For me, it doesn't matter what system it comes out for - I have little to no care about the series as a whole.

The series has been on a downhill slide in my eyes since 2. 3 tried to redeem the series, but 4 looks to be just as goofy as 2 was.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 27, 2008, 01:48:05 PM

For me, it doesn't matter what system it comes out for - I have little to no care about the series as a whole.

The series has been on a downhill slide in my eyes since 2. 3 tried to redeem the series, but 4 looks to be just as goofy as 2 was.

I think there is a segment out there that enjoys the goofiness of the games.  But I also think the series has become so polarizing that it will not be a huge seller anymore.  From what I have seen of the pre- release trailers they seem to be catering to the existing fans of the series instead of going for mass market appeal. I respect that approach but I doubt I will be trying MGS4 myself.  I have zero desire to play through Sons of Liberty and I feel like I would be completely lost in MGS4.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »

I would say I'm a fan of the series, but not a diehard. I thought 2 was a compelling and immersive experience and thus far what I've played of MGS3 has been quite enjoyable.

I won't claim to understand most of the story, but I love the narrative, the cutscenes and most of the characters...
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2008, 02:34:44 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 27, 2008, 02:02:48 PM

Quote from: Destructor on February 27, 2008, 01:48:05 PM

I think there is a segment out there that enjoys the goofiness of the games.  But I also think the series has become so polarizing that it will not be a huge seller anymore.  From what I have seen of the pre- release trailers they seem to be catering to the existing fans of the series instead of going for mass market appeal. I respect that approach but I doubt I will be trying MGS4 myself.  I have zero desire to play through Sons of Liberty and I feel like I would be completely lost in MGS4.

I would love to see a game that combined the campiness and boss battles of MGS with the stealth gameplay of Splinter Cell.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2008, 02:37:20 PM »

Turtle, my main counterpoint to your claim that MGS4 will remain exclusive is this: all three of the previous games, at some point, went multiplatform. Granted, the original went to the PC at first, and didn't hit another console until it was remade/upgraded, but the point remains.

And as for it making sense to release MGSO and MGS4 on the same disc, seriously, that'd be atypical. When Resident Evil 4 was released to the PS2 for example, it didn't get Resident Evil 0 (the other GC exclusive RE title at the time) packed-in.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 27, 2008, 02:37:20 PM

Turtle, my main counterpoint to your claim that MGS4 will remain exclusive is this: all three of the previous games, at some point, went multiplatform. Granted, the original went to the PC at first, and didn't hit another console until it was remade/upgraded, but the point remains.

And as for it making sense to release MGSO and MGS4 on the same disc, seriously, that'd be atypical. When Resident Evil 4 was released to the PS2 for example, it didn't get Resident Evil 0 (the other GC exclusive RE title at the time) packed-in.

MGS3 remains PS2 only. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »

I'm not sure what 360 owners are concerned about.  If you want something with alot of CGI movies and no gameplay just rent any movie from Pixar  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2008, 03:51:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 27, 2008, 02:41:36 PM

MGS3 remains PS2 only. 

...Well /facepalm time it is for me then! retard I could've sworn MGS3 was ported to the X-Box, and have been operating under that false assumption all this time.

I stand corrected! And that does make MGS4 releasing on the 360 not-guaranteed in my mind now. Could go either way.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2008, 03:57:22 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 27, 2008, 03:51:19 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 27, 2008, 02:41:36 PM

MGS3 remains PS2 only. 

...Well /facepalm time it is for me then! retard I could've sworn MGS3 was ported to the X-Box, and have been operating under that false assumption all this time.

I stand corrected! And that does make MGS4 releasing on the 360 not-guaranteed in my mind now. Could go either way.

Personally, I think it will end up on there.  I think the reason that MGS3 wasn't ported was because of lackluster sales of the MGS2 port along with the Xbox being DOA at the time of the Subsistence re-release.  But it's a whole new generation so I think Konami will try again. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2008, 04:12:31 PM »

I thought MGS1 was amazing.  2 was horrible and that's the last one I played.  I'm excited about this one though.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 27, 2008, 04:12:31 PM

I thought MGS1 was amazing.  2 was horrible and that's the last one I played.  I'm excited about this one though.

You should play 3. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »

2 was horrible

To the guillotine!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2008, 05:15:56 PM »

I thought MGS1 was amazing.  2 was horrible and that's the last one I played.

I felt the same way.  I liked 1 but thought 2 was terrible.  I tried to play Snake Eater but I just could not get into it.  I have heard that it starts slow and gets better.  But I just could not get past the beginning in multiple tries.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2008, 05:28:48 PM »

I'd urge you to give MGS3 a shot - and grab the Subsistence version for a controllable camera.  The pacing in the beginning is a little weird, but to be honest, the rest is such an enjoyable, whimsical ride; it truly takes the best of MGS1 and MGS2 and provides many amazing moments.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2008, 07:07:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 27, 2008, 02:30:51 PM

I would say I'm a fan of the series, but not a diehard. I thought 2 was a compelling and immersive experience and thus far what I've played of MGS3 has been quite enjoyable.

You sure you don't mean 1? And the Gamecube version of 1 at that? Now that was a compelling and immersive game. 2...not so. Why am I playing as some freak instead of the lead character?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of the Twin Snakes.  They brought in a lot of the gameplay enhancements from MGS2 without changing much in the way of level design or AI to take advantage of it.  The result was absurdly easy.  I also don't care for some of the new cutscenes.  Too over the top for me (which,considering what happens in the other games, is saying something). 

While I've played through Twin Snakes a couple of times and am happy to have it in my collection, these days I find that I more often than not go back to the PSX original when I get a hankering for MGS1. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2008, 09:17:58 PM »

I have to agree with KG; Twin Snakes was good, but despite the gorgeous facelift and the gameplay enhancements, I also prefer the original over it. The stickler for me is the cutscenes going beyond silly at times:
Spoiler for Hiden:
They ruined -- ruined -- the scene where Liquid attacks Solid with the chopper at the top of the tower. In the PS1 version that was a tense, acceptably anime-ish scene for a serious anime film. In the Twin Snakes version, he's freaking Mario-hopping off of the missiles. That crossed my threshold for silliness tolerance.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of the changes that MGS2 made, but I did enjoy the game overall despite annoyances with how Raiden and his girlfriend were handled.

I still need to play MGS3, and from what I've heard, it'll be worth it.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 27, 2008, 09:17:58 PM

Me too.  We need to form a team and have Kevin Grey lead us on a guided tour.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2008, 03:31:10 AM »

Quote from: warning on February 27, 2008, 09:44:26 PM

Ok, but I'll be Otakon, you have to be Meryl. icon_twisted

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2008, 03:35:10 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 28, 2008, 03:31:10 AM

Quote from: warning on February 27, 2008, 09:44:26 PM

Ok, but I'll be Otakon, you have to be Meryl. icon_twisted

And I'll be Raiden!!!....er, I mean Snake!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2008, 04:08:26 AM »

Hmm.. I actually didn't realize how successful timed exclusives were (especially with no press or hints of it being non timed to the public).

That definitely changes things as Sony could save a lot of money by going for timed exclusive rights, and not just exclusive rights.  But that said, losing MGS4 any time this year would be a blow to the PS3's image.

Oh and, you guys just hit on something I really want to see in the sneaker/operative forumula, real team based operations with multiplayer, different players taking up different roles.

For example, one guy plays the lead Snake/Fisher operative character.  Another handles computer/electronics, another handles overall operation, calling in support etc, another could be research.  All of them have different interfaces and various mini-games.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2008, 05:08:15 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 28, 2008, 04:08:26 AM

For example, one guy plays the lead Snake/Fisher operative character.  Another handles computer/electronics, another handles overall operation, calling in support etc, another could be research.  All of them have different interfaces and various mini-games.

I would love it if a game did that!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: