http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:35:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS3: Back on the Shelf for Now  (Read 1037 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2006, 01:15:01 AM »

Okay- thus far I'm enjoying but progress is super slow as I figure out the game.

Questions: Is it better just to kill the enemies?  I've been tranqing and choking them out, but not killing them.  When they wake up, do they immediately go on alert?  I was 90% camoed and rose to my knees with no guards around.

Suddenly I hear 'WE're under attack.' So i hit the deck and go to 90% stealth and am in 'Caution' mode. The search patrol comes around and says 'we're under enemy fire', the assualt team arrives, finds me and hi hit reset- now at this point I've fired exactly 2 tranq darts on this section of map. One at a guard who I hid well out of sight and the other at a snake.  There's no way my presense was known unless someone woke up and called hq. Tips?

What are those green frog toys that are scattered all over the map...if you shoot them they make a funny noise. Any ideas?

Is there any easy way to tell which trees you can climb?

Is there any way to tell the encumbrance value of an item when you carry it on your person?

How do you get more batteries?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 02:52:37 AM »

Unfortunately, I can only answer the least important question. The green frogs are an easter egg sort of thing - there is one in each section (?) of the game. If you hit them all you get some sort of bonus extra (a camo suit?).

And don't worry about starting out super slow. It takes awhile to pick up on the new game mechanics and, IMO, the story takes a bit of time to get going. After a couple of hours it'll pick up speed.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 03:16:03 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Questions: Is it better just to kill the enemies?

What are those green frog toys that are scattered all over the map...if you shoot them they make a funny noise. Any ideas?

Is there any easy way to tell which trees you can climb?

Is there any way to tell the encumbrance value of an item when you carry it on your person?

How do you get more batteries?

1) Sneak up on enemies, grab them toss them to the ground, stab when with your knife, one stab = dead. Yes kill them, but without anyone knowing.

Or you could run and gun the shit out of everyone, once you get that first auto.... Your choice.

2) Think Hidden Packages. If you shoot them, all they are hidden all over the game, you get this special camo at the end.

3) Yes trees you can climb are large in size, in width around the trunk and it has like green plant, type stuff on one side of them. Like moss, you can climb this.

4) Dont understand value of this question.

5) They recharge and I think you pick other stuff up to help with them. I forgot.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 03:43:28 AM »

I will only say that who you kill does affect the game but won't tell you how.  Play it how you prefer, it won't hurt anything.  Personally, I find it more satisfying to play as stealthy and non-lethal as possible but, playing on European Extreme where you can *never* be detected and also being approximately 90% non lethal, took me about 30 hours and that was after already beating it twice so it might destroy some of the cinematic pacing to go that slow.  First time through I was generally pretty stealthy but also pretty lethal and it took me about 25 hours but most people do it in closer to 15.  

Here is a tip for permanent non-lethal takedowns:  sneak up and grab an enemy, then throw him to ground, then immediately pull out your weapon and do a hold up maneuver while he is still on the ground.  He will put his hands behind his head and stay in that exact postion indefinitely.  All other non lethal takedowns will have the enemy waking up at some point.  When they wake up they might trigger caution mode.  The difference may be whether you put them to sleep or knock them out but I'm not positive.

Re: trees- they aren't very common and you are 100% exposed while in them so I found them relatively useless aside from a few specific areas.  

Re: Batteries- you'll find them as you explore and they recharge when not in use.  Speaking of exploring- you will find lots of other optional equipment (including most of the camo and face paint) by exploring so it plays not to take a bee line for the exit.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 04:38:13 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Re: trees- they aren't very common and you are 100% exposed while in them so I found them relatively useless aside from a few specific areas.  

Agree with Kevin here.

I'm sure he will agree with me when you get to that one part(you know what I'm talking about, with the fence)

That is so sweet climbing that tree.

Like sooo badass. That was one of the funniest parts of the game for me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The part with the electrical fence and you have to find holes in the fence to crawl threw and then when you get to the very inside fence, it has claymores around it, then you have to shoot the electric box to make the fence not dangerous. Then you climb the tree and you can scope off the enemy soliders. But when you jump down, don't alert the dogs smile - Does anyone know what I'm talking about lol?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 12:01:38 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
The green frogs are an easter egg sort of thing - there is one in each section (?) of the game.

As in one per screen?  That's a lot of extra time for a camo suit. Is it like a super camo suit? Is it worth the effort?
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 01:06:35 PM »

i would get extremely frustrated with trying not to  be seen ever, and not killing enemies.  I believe it's all or nothing..cause once you kill one person you don't get the "extras" at the end.  I would say it's more enjoyable to  just kill the ones you need to, then after you beat it go back and try without killing anyone.

But normally when they wake up I thought they just did the "huh?!" and looked around for a few and then went back to normal.  I know if you don't shoot them in the head with the tranq. they will go into alert sometimes.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 01:16:07 PM »

As in one per screen?  That's a lot of extra time for a camo suit. Is it like a super camo suit? Is it worth the effort?

Nah, not worth the effort at all.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 01:16:26 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
The green frogs are an easter egg sort of thing - there is one in each section (?) of the game.

I don't think it's one per screen, but rather one per general location. I'm not sure about that, though.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 01:17:17 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
I believe it's all or nothing..cause once you kill one person you don't get the "extras" at the end.  

Generally speaking, what are these extras?  Is it worth slogging through not killing anyone to get them?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 03:30:06 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I will only say that who you kill does affect the game but won't tell you how.

So awesome.

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 01:56:50 AM »

New Control Scheme. New Era. New mechanics. New characters. New New Camera. New Aiming System. New blah bla blah. Too much new.  

It feels like work right now (though seeing a young Ocelot was cool), so I'm putting MGS3 back on the shelf for now.

I've replayed the entry to Dr. Sokolov so many times now that I'm too impatient to stealth my way any further.  

Maybe in a month or two.

On to God of War.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 02:24:05 AM »

FWIW, you're stuck at the same place that most get stuck at.  That first section is pretty hard.  Most people think it picks up dramatically after you get to Sokolov but, yeah, it might be better to come back to it when you aren't straight off of MGS2.  Sounds to me like you are forcing yourself into a playstyle that isn't a natural fit.  Plus, until you come to grips with the new CQC system you really aren't seeing what the game has to offer.  

BTW, you can go back to the old camera if you want, but the vast majority of prefer the new camera from Subsistance.  

Wait a minute- when you said you replayed the entrance to Sokolov I assumed you hadn't made it past it but you mention meeting Ocelot.  Are you just replaying that first section over and over again?  If so, don't.  Go ahead and progress and learn as you go.  You've got plenty of time- it's a much larger game than the first two (probably twice as big at least).
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 10:53:25 AM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
I believe it's all or nothing..cause once you kill one person you don't get the "extras" at the end.  

Generally speaking, what are these extras?  Is it worth slogging through not killing anyone to get them?

I believe either the unlimited ammo or stealth..I can't remember.  The usual extras at the end of a MG game.  I think I never really caught onto MGS3 was because it was so different.  Don't get me wrong I played probley 75% of it through..but i just would get to frustrated.  I'm sure ill get it out again some day (like I did with MGS2) and end up beating it and loving it.  Just not today.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 01:10:26 PM »

I did the same thing the first time I tried MGS3. I played a couple of hours, wasn't getting into it, and put it away. A month or so later I picked it up again and got past those first sections. Then the game started opening up and I began to get used to the controls. All of sudden I went from forcing myself to play the game to wanting to play every chance I got.

The moral of this story is, well, I don't know. But stick with it, man. It gets much, much better.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 03:03:27 PM »

Saddened to hear about the shelfing...but I seriously shelfed it about 3 times until I finally "got it", so go at your own pace.

I encourage you on giving it another shot when you're fully prepared dive headfirst into a game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: