http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:19:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS2: Sons of Liberty... I tried  (Read 1186 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2006, 08:14:56 PM »

I haven't owned a PS2 in a while, so my friend recently let me borrow his in order to catch up on some of the so-called classics I missed. Of the stack of games he gave me, which included MGS2, MGS3, God of War, and Shadow of the Colossus, I decided I would try to play through the MGS games so I knew what was going on when I picked up MGS4 for PS3.

I put about 3.5 hours into it, I really tried to like it, but I'm simply not having a good time with this game. The graphics now are very outdated, but besides that the level design is weak so far, the camera is WAY to close in most of the time making me feel claustraphobic, the dialogue is cheesy as all hell, and the cutscenes are too long. I'm not exactly feeling the voice acting and sound effects either. It seems like the storyline is very detailed and involving, but honestly if all I was looking for was a story I would read a book. I need gameplay. It feels like Splinter Cell-lite.

Ah well, I tried to love it, but I think I'll pass on MGS2. I'll give God of War a spin.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 08:29:49 PM »

Bah. Splinter Cell wishes it was MGS.

I played the first one just this year. Story was amazing and I LOVE cutscenes.

Just started up MGS 2 and the jump from 1 to 2 in terms of gameplay, graphics and innovation is pretty alarming- with regard to the better camera, new weapon types, story weaving, different views etc.

I'm about 2 hrs into it and loving it.

Solid Snake would kick Sam Fisher's butt.

So there!

But like I said, I love me a good cutscene. I can see why those who don't wouldn't like the game.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:12:36 PM »

I just played it through about a month ago and mostly loved it.  The ending is pretty much ass but the game itself was a lot of fun.  But then I also played MGS1 and loved it so I knew what I was getting myself into.

Kevin Grey will be showing up here shortly - he's the resident MGS guru.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 09:46:03 PM »

I played the original MGS as well, way back when it was on the PSX. It just seems like MGS2 is very dated compared to today's standards.

Bah. Splinter Cell wishes it was MGS.

Actually, I see it the other way around. I don't think SC attempted to create an epic storyline, but give you some really good stealth gameplay with a storyline to tie all the missions together. In MGS, it feels like there's this deep story, but the gameplay struggles to keep you involved from cutscene to cutscene. Don't get me wrong, I love cutscenes, but sometimes I have to wonder if I've been watching more than I've been playing.

Sean Lama
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 09:59:44 PM »

Quote from: "Ridah"
It just seems like MGS2 is very dated compared to today's standards.

Of course it is, it came out long time ago.

But people loved it at the time.

I dont see how graphics, camera, and dialogue can ruin your experience.

I still go back and play CT on SNES and Mario(No dialogue hardly, bad graphics, no real story) and Final Fantasy(Which had terrible graphics and extremely cheesey dialogue. In the early ones).

Your letting yourself, convince yourself its a bad game by comparing it to, todays games. These days all anyone cares about is sleek graphics(well alot of people do) To me, I dont care if the game is stick figures, if it has a good story and like able characters, then I'll give it a go.

I've never played MGS2, but I've played 3 and 1. They were both great.

I'll have to give 2 a try and see what I think.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 10:43:42 PM »

Hmmm.  Tis is on my 'to get to' list.  I picked it up for ~$5, and I'll try it out...someday.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 10:59:54 PM »

I agree with the original post in every way.  Give me Splinter Cell over MGS any day of the week.  To each his own I guess.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 11:49:57 PM »

Quote from: "Ridah"
Actually, I see it the other way around. I don't think SC attempted to create an epic storyline, but give you some really good stealth gameplay with a storyline to tie all the missions together. In MGS, it feels like there's this deep story, but the gameplay struggles to keep you involved from cutscene to cutscene. Don't get me wrong, I love cutscenes, but sometimes I have to wonder if I've been watching more than I've been playing.

I'll put the gameplay of MGS2 up against Splinter Cell every day of the week.  MGS2 has some really great gameplay but it is kind of buried.  Most games sort of hit you over the head with "here is everything you can do and how to do it" in some sort of tutorial level but the MGS series tends to reward discovery a bit more.  They are the type of games that you read about other ways of getting by obstacles and think "cool, I never knew you could do that."  Unfortunately, the core game system of MGS makes it relatively easy to brute force through areas since enemies won't follow from section to section.  Consequently, a lot of the cool bits of the game can be lost rather easily.  I recommend turning up the difficulty to hard with Radar off if you want to extend the gameplay bits.  

That said, it pains me that so many people feel that it has to be either Splinter Cell or MGS.  Although I prefer MGS, I love the Splinter Cell series very much, particularly Chaos Theory.  Splinter Cell is much closer to Thief in terms of gameplay than MGS so while they both fit into the stealth genre, they are pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum and just because you like one style doesn't mean you'll like the other.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 02:22:37 AM »

I dunno if you got to the part where they introduce Vamp, but I just did and man was it something great....

That whole cinematic was quite tense.  Great stuff.

Muahahahaha. I love MGS!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 05:20:17 AM »

lol,i dont mind the cut scenes,especially when i first played it,as i smoked then,and that was my que to spark up :lol:

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 01:31:52 PM »

how far did you get into MGS2? Did you only play as snake on the tanker?

I feel like the tanker part of the game was just a intro to the actual game (to build the story)..to be honest I can't even comprehend it as having bad voice acting, or bad graphics.  I don't know what kind of games you regularly play..but what kind of graphics do you expect?  Most of my favorite games have worse graphics than MGS2.

As far as the MG series..I feel that it would make more sense to play the first one before the second (to get the inside jokes that you would find cheesy without knowing) as well has help understand the story.  But from what you say about MGS2's graphics..I wouldn't recommend MGS1 for you to play.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 01:44:35 PM »

snakes and ocelots and mullets, oh my!  smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 02:28:43 PM »

if you do go back to MGS 1 first...make sure its the gamecube version..the twin snakes....as the ps1 version has aged terribly

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 02:51:40 PM »

Quote from: "metallicorphan"
if you do go back to MGS 1 first...make sure its the gamecube version..the twin snakes....as the ps1 version has aged terribly

Gonna disagree.  The game is great.  If by age  you mean the graphics, they're easy to get passed...unless graphics are your sole reason for playing a game.

The hardest part of MGS is that the controls were rather primitive and the views available weren't the best with regard to the camera....

It still rates an A+ AFAIC
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 03:56:30 PM »

i tried playing it a week or two ago on ps2 (with ps1 copy)..and i could hardly tell what things were...and yes i do mean graphics Cool ..talk about square!!(not the company,LOL)

...but i bought the twin snakes when it first came out..so i always stick with that when playing it....i was just playing the ps1 version out of curiosity

1 thing though is the cube version is a lot easier than ps 1 version due to first person shooting...easier to take out those cameras...

you decide whether that is a good thing :?

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 04:16:22 PM »

i tried playing it a week or two ago on ps2 (with ps1 copy)..and i could hardly tell what things were...and yes i do mean graphics  ..talk about square!!(

I did that too. It was the 3rd game I'd ever played on teh P2.  It didn't bother me a bit. Differen't willises for different arnolds I guess.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 10:23:27 PM »

Yea so who wants to sell my MGS1 and MGS2.

smile

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 10:29:46 PM »

I recentely played through the entire MGS trilogy, and have also completed the SC trilogy as well.

While the story in MGS is interesting, I'd have to vote SC as having far superior gameplay.

MGS really bothered me in terms of the alert system, never ending guards, respawning enemies, and the freaking backtracking.

SC had some grittier, more 'realistic' type gameplay, and Chaos theory added alot of cool, fun moves.  The shadow system was great, whereas the 'sight cone' thing of MGS struck me as very odd. Also, the radar system was strange to me as well. I would have enjoyed playing through the games without it, but the controls/UI/camera would have made this an infuriating experience.

Also, the level designs were far superior in SC IMHO (course, this is apples and oranges, but at least you got variety in SC. MGS3 was a bit better in terms of this, but still only one 'type' of level through the whole game (jungle)).

I enjoyed both series, but for me, MGS gameplay was pulling teeth just to get the cool story.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 01:50:00 AM »

I enjoyed both series, but for me, MGS gameplay was pulling teeth just to get the cool story.

That about sums it up for me.

Sean Lama
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »

Man! I just hit an awesome part of the story again involving Vamp.  Wow!  I'm loving this game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: