http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 07:48:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS Twin Snakes Question  (Read 957 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2005, 12:55:01 AM »

This site's review says you only get 3 hours of gameplay in the game.  The other 3 hours of the game are cutscenes.  Is that true?  Is that what some of you experienced?  I am debating this title, but not sure how much I would pay for that little gameplay.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 02:03:56 AM »

I haven't played Twin Snakes, but I did play Metal Gear Solid (this is just a remake with better graphics and new cutscenes).  Tim is probably right on with the amount of time to beat the game.  Each MGS has gotten progressively longer since the original.

You have to remember this is a re-doing of a game that wowed the world in 1997 when it was released.  The game is not long, but it was groundbreaking when it came out.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 04:06:56 AM »

That's what I was afraid of.  I have played alot of games that 'wowed' people back when only to be disappointed in them because there have been so many better games played since then.  

I think my time can better be spent on others.  Appreciate the answer.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 05:01:58 AM »

Even as an MGS fan, I'd have to agree about the gameplay to cutscene ratio.

However, I disagree about the amount of game time.  Unless they changed things, only an absolute pro could go through the game in 3 hours of gameplay.  It'll take longer, although a good lot of that might be waiting in dark places for a guard to pass by.  slywink
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 07:47:24 AM »

I haven't played Twin Snakes, but I've founded that most people grossly overestimate cutscene to gameplay ratio.  I would guess that gameplay seems to go by much faster than cutscenes since you are actually involved in the action, leading people to think the cutscenes take longer than they do.  For instance, you'll hear a lot of people say that Xenosaga spends as much time on cutscenes as on gameplay, whereas there are actually only around 8 hours of cutscenes in 40-50 hours of play.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 03:44:27 PM »

That's what I was afraid of. I have played alot of games that 'wowed' people back when only to be disappointed in them because there have been so many better games played since then.

i'd say the 'wow' factor for mgs (original or ts version) is still pretty damn high even today - the quality of the story, characters, & gameplay is pretty much timeless...

ps: i enjoyed ts (played it following snake eater), but still favor the original...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 03:59:53 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
This site's review says you only get 3 hours of gameplay in the game.  The other 3 hours of the game are cutscenes.  Is that true?  Is that what some of you experienced?  I am debating this title, but not sure how much I would pay for that little gameplay.

As far as I remember, yes, that was pretty much the ratio. Or at least somewhat close to it (3 hours gameplay, 2 hours cutscenes, or somewhere close).

But keep in mind - this 5 to 6 hours of total playtime was some of the best playtime I've ever put into a console game. Even now it still holds up very well to the rest of the very crowded gaming market.

If you find it cheap, I'd get it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 06:24:54 PM »

Six hours total to beat the game? That's a complete low-ball estimate. The only way I can see that is if you've already played the PSX game and remeber the level design and how to beat the bosses. I had never played an MGS game before Twin Snakes and I'd say it probably took me twelve to fifteen hours to complete.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 10:50:21 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Six hours total to beat the game? That's a complete low-ball estimate. The only way I can see that is if you've already played the PSX game and remeber the level design and how to beat the bosses. I had never played an MGS game before Twin Snakes and I'd say it probably took me twelve to fifteen hours to complete.

That might explain a few things then. I was a huge Metal Gear fan ("Uh oh! The truck have started to move!" biggrin ), at least until MGS 2. The PSX version of 1 (and the Gamecube remake) will always hold a treasured place in my gaming heart.

And from my review:
"Unfortunately, there are some issues. First off, the game is short. Very short. The average gamer will finish this game in six hours or so. Half of that are the outstanding cinema scenes. On successive run-throughs, if you skip everything important, the game can easily be finished in about two hours. For that matter, the second CD is almost nothing but either boss fights or cinemas."

I do remember keeping an eye out on the clock as I played this title for review, as I knew that other reviews had stated this game was short.

One thing to remember - time to completion times vary wildly from person to person.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: