http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:23:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metroid Wii: No online play.  (Read 3282 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:35:18 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160760

Looks like this game just went from first day purchase to rental for me. 

I thought one of the reasons they delayed it from launch title status was to work on the online portion? 

Weaksauce.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:39:54 PM »

To me, the Metroid series has always been about the single player campaign. I could care less if it had online. If its anything like Prime, day one purchase for me

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 09:42:55 PM »

Bravo. Concentrate on a kick ass single player game. Don't waste resources on multi-player. I approve completely.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 09:44:36 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 03, 2007, 09:35:18 PM

I thought one of the reasons they delayed it from launch title status was to work on the online portion? 

Weaksauce.

That was merely a rumor. Recent interview said it was to put as much possible polish on the title as possible.

Multiplayer was never a big deal for me with regards to this series. See Metroid Prime Hunters for how multiplayer really doesn't "work" with this series. Metroid Prime 2 didn't really have solid multiplayer either.

Remember it's not just no Online, it's no Multiplayer at all, just a really well done single player game.

The only thing I don't like is that the release was pushed back a week, while I am on Vacation, but I will survive until I get back.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:47:31 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 09:45:50 PM »

Weaksauce.

I never heard anything official that would have led me to believe there would be online multiplay in MP3. All that was ever stated about online mplay was just rumours and only that.
As to being a day 1 purchase, I can personally think of a number of reasons, other than online play, to purchase this on release day. smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 10:12:59 PM »

Honestly, I'd never even heard online multiplayers was even a rumor for MP3.  This game is going to live or die based on the quality of its controls and the immersiveness of its world, and I just pray they can deliver an experience that's as great as the original.

-Autistic Angel
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »

Weaksauce.

Good news!
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 10:49:25 PM »

Nintendo strikes again!  No one wants to play online games anyway.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 10:58:31 PM »

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 11:22:26 PM »

Hopefully this will be one of my birthday presents from my wife. I already strongly hinted that MP3 would make a great gift. Multi-player in a Metroid game is not needed, it is all about the single player experience. I hope they lessen the difficulty a bit from Prime 2, as it was very not fun at times. A better save system would be great as well. I think they ditched the ammo system (except for rockets), so that is welcome too.

Rumors say that the game is awesome and the controls are perfect. Not long to wait to find out.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 11:26:58 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on July 03, 2007, 09:39:54 PM

To me, the Metroid series has always been about the single player campaign. I could care less if it had online. If its anything like Prime, day one purchase for me

I'm in for the single player as well.  Having to wrestle with 512-bit hex addresses to connect to a friend is a barrier to entry anyway.  Down with Friend Codes!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 12:02:01 AM »

What, you'd rather a 1024-bit binary address instead? slywink

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 12:30:24 AM »

Quote from: Atragon on July 04, 2007, 12:02:01 AM

Lemme put my geek hat on.

The 512 bit hex is the SHA2-512 secure hash alternative of MD5 encryption.  MD5 only goes up to 128-bit hash value true encryption.  SHA2 is a step up from MD5, but a big step down from Cisco's proprietary MD5 encryption. 

Lemme take this cumbersome hat off.  slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 12:50:50 AM »

To me a shooter with no multiplayer is a rental.  I cannot justify spending $50 just to play through a campaign and then be done with the game.  It amazes me that Nintendo can release the same games over and over virtually unchanged and people continue to lap them up.  Someone above posted that no multiplayer is a good thing.  I guess it's good if you want the Gamecube version with some waggle tacked on.  Personally I was hoping they would (gasp!!!) push the envelope a little bit.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 01:11:44 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 04, 2007, 12:30:24 AM

The 512 bit hex is the SHA2-512 secure hash alternative of MD5 encryption.  MD5 only goes up to 128-bit hash value true encryption.  SHA2 is a step up from MD5, but a big step down from Cisco's proprietary MD5 encryption. 

how about a random lenght of Pi times a random multiplier?

That reminds me, I need to get playing the first 2 Primes!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 01:23:07 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 04, 2007, 12:50:50 AM

To me a shooter with no multiplayer is a rental.  I cannot justify spending $50 just to play through a campaign and then be done with the game.  It amazes me that Nintendo can release the same games over and over virtually unchanged and people continue to lap them up.  Someone above posted that no multiplayer is a good thing.  I guess it's good if you want the Gamecube version with some waggle tacked on.  Personally I was hoping they would (gasp!!!) push the envelope a little bit.

Well, your arguement would hold water if this series wasn't anything but a single player experience.

Nintendo HAS online titles coming, namely Mario Super Strikers, Battalion Wars II and Smash Brothers this year ( I don't know if any others have been announced for online). For those titles it makes sense, for Metroid it doesn't, the series has always been about the singular experience, the lone bounty hunter out in space kind of thing. Also, did you play the previous two games? They're nothing like your normal FPS games, so I think that's why folks are okay with it not having multiplayer, but having a very well done single player game.

It amazes me that ANY PUBLISHER(They all do this) can release the same games over and over virtually unchanged and people continue to lap them up.

There, I fixed that for you. You can point the finger at Nintendo, but make sure to point it at every other publisher as everyone that continues to lap up "virtually the same game" over and over. Ea, Sony, Activision, Microsoft etc etc. all do this.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 01:29:56 AM »

How could it be about anything else besides SP since they never try MP gaming besides the DS title?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 01:43:27 AM »

Believe it or not, there's plenty of us who buy a game ONLY for the single-player experience.  In fact, I'll actively avoid games that are mainly multiplayer focused.  I have zero desire to game with other people, and want something that is engaging and fun for a single player.

If Nintendo put all their effort and resources into creating a truly great single-player Metroid experience, I'll be all over it.  Assuming I can find a Wii, of course.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 01:58:44 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 04, 2007, 01:43:27 AM

Believe it or not, there's plenty of us who buy a game ONLY for the single-player experience.  In fact, I'll actively avoid games that are mainly multiplayer focused.  I have zero desire to game with other people, and want something that is engaging and fun for a single player.

If Nintendo put all their effort and resources into creating a truly great single-player Metroid experience, I'll be all over it.  Assuming I can find a Wii, of course.  smile

My thoughts exactly.  I have zero interest in 99% of multiplayer games.

But it does seem odd to leave MP out when they had it in the DS version of all things.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 02:04:05 AM »

To me a shooter with no multiplayer is a rental. 

You'll be glad to know that Metroid Prime is in no way, shape, or form a shooter, so you can enjoy the single player awesomeness.

-John

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 02:11:45 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on July 04, 2007, 01:29:56 AM

How could it be about anything else besides SP since they never try MP gaming besides the DS title?

Actually I have played and enjoyed Prime, Echoes, and Hunters.  Nintendo did deliver 4 way single cube multiplayer as a new feature in Echoes, and then added online play to Hunters following that.  Given that, I thought it was a logical next step to include online multiplayer in the "next gen" version.    So I am disappointed to hear this news.  Of the 3 games Hunters is the only one I still own and play.  The only reason for that is multiplayer.  I just think Nintendo missed an opportunity here.  Sure the old time Metroid fans are going to buy the game regardless.  But they could have expanded the audience to online shooter lovers.  God knows there are plenty of us out there.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 02:17:22 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 03:36:58 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 04, 2007, 02:11:45 AM

Quote from: Jumangi on July 04, 2007, 01:29:56 AM

Actually I have played and enjoyed Prime, Echoes, and Hunters.  Nintendo did deliver 4 way single cube multiplayer as a new feature in Echoes, and then added online play to Hunters following that.  Given that, I thought it was a logical next step to include online multiplayer in the "next gen" version.    So I am disappointed to hear this news.  Of the 3 games Hunters is the only one I still own and play.  The only reason for that is multiplayer.  I just think Nintendo missed an opportunity here.  Sure the old time Metroid fans are going to buy the game regardless.  But they could have expanded the audience to online shooter lovers.  God knows there are plenty of us out there.

Hunters didn't do very well in sales though.  And Echoes was perceived as a bit of disappointment on the single player end and the resources diverted to put in it's rudimentary multiplayer mode would have been better served on the single player side of things.

Personally with the number of games that are either multi only these days or that have significant teams devoted to multi, I can't understand why people still begrudge us the few single player focused series that we have left.  "Online Shooter Lovers" probably don't have Wii as their only console so why should Retro potentially compromise their single player when they still aren't going to be at the level of Halo 3, Enemy Terratory, Team Fortress, and all the other big multi games hitting this fall?  Teams should play to their strengths, not their weaknesses.  Splash Damage shouldn't have to try and shoehorn some kind of bot-based single player campaign in Quake Wars and Retro and Irrational shouldn't have to put in rudimentary deathmatch into their games. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 03:48:56 AM »

Quote from: JCC on July 03, 2007, 09:42:55 PM

Bravo. Concentrate on a kick ass single player game. Don't waste resources on multi-player. I approve completely.

Absofuckinglutely. I want an outstanding SP Metroid game, because that is what Metroid is. Multiplayer can go into the dumper as far as I'm concerned.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 04:09:08 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 04, 2007, 03:36:58 AM

Personally with the number of games that are either multi only these days or that have significant teams devoted to multi, I can't understand why people still begrudge us the few single player focused series that we have left. 

People hammer on Warhawk and Shadowrun because they have no single player.  I don't see why Metroid should get a pass from those of us who enjoy multiplayer.

"Online Shooter Lovers" probably don't have Wii as their only console so why should Retro potentially compromise their single player when they still aren't going to be at the level of Halo 3, Enemy Territory, Team Fortress, and all the other big multi games hitting this fall? 

There are exactly zero online shooters on the Wii.  Metroid would not be competing with Halo 3, TF, etc.  An online mode would be bringing something new, and in my opinion much needed, to the Wii.  Obviously Nintendo still is not serious about online multiplay, despite what Reggie has been saying all these months.

Teams should play to their strengths, not their weaknesses.  Splash Damage shouldn't have to try and shoehorn some kind of bot-based single player campaign in Quake Wars and Retro and Irrational shouldn't have to put in rudimentary deathmatch into their games. 
I don't think just because an online mode is included the single player portion automatically suffers.  In my opinion the things that made Echoes single player less appealing than Prime's had more to do with "been there done that," than cutting corners to include multiplayer.  In my opinion Corruption's single player mode looks to be yet another rehash of Prime/Echoes without much in the way of innovation beyond the waggle controls. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 05:47:55 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 04, 2007, 04:09:08 AM

Personally with the number of games that are either multi only these days or that have significant teams devoted to multi, I can't understand why people still begrudge us the few single player focused series that we have left. 

People hammer on Warhawk and Shadowrun because they have no single player.  I don't see why Metroid should get a pass from those of us who enjoy multiplayer.

Well Warhawk was initially announced as having single player content (and was itself a sequel to a single player focused game)  so there was some consternation when the multi-only decision was made but it didn't last long and I haven't heard much lamenting of the mp only stuff since just before the beta hit.

Shadowrun is getting beat up for two separate reasons:

1)  For an mp only game there is the perception that there isn't enough content in terms of maps and game modes. 

2) The use of the license itself suggests a lot of single player potential.  If Shadowrun had been announced as mp-only under a different name then I don't think there would have been a peep.

There are exactly zero online shooters on the Wii.  Metroid would not be competing with Halo 3, TF, etc.  An online mode would be bringing something new, and in my opinion much needed, to the Wii.  Obviously Nintendo still is not serious about online multiplay, despite what Reggie has been saying all these months.

Is the market of casuals enjoying Wii Sports, Mario Party, etc really dying for an online shooter?  I doubt it.  And the "Nintendo faithful" care much more about Metroid's single player.  So what's left are online shooter fans who only own a Wii which I would bet is a pretty damn small market segment.  After all, if you already own a 360, PS3, and/or PC in addition to a Wii then why does Wii "need" an online shooter? 

I don't think just because an online mode is included the single player portion automatically suffers.  In my opinion the things that made Echoes single player less appealing than Prime's had more to do with "been there done that," than cutting corners to include multiplayer.  In my opinion Corruption's single player mode looks to be yet another rehash of Prime/Echoes without much in the way of innovation beyond the waggle controls. 

It's a question of resources- given a finite development time then time that is spent in design, asset creation, coding, and testing a multiplayer mode is time that isn't being spent on those same aspects of single player creation.  MP3 has already been significantly delayed in an attempt to get single player up to much higher quality than Echoes- adding an mp mode would probably delay the game until Christmas or beyond which isn't what Nintendo needs.  If they are holding to having Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Brothers out in time for Christmas then they need Metroid out sooner rather than later.

Perhaps Echoes would have been less "more of the same" if Retro didn't feel like they had to include an mp mode.

Frankly, I'm not sure that Metroid is even a great fit for mp- the whole series is based around lone exploration of an environment and is more adventure and less shooter.  If Nintendo truly does need an online shooter it's probably better that they either create a new IP for it or offer financial incentive for a 3rd party with heavy mp experience to make a big splash with a Wii exclusive.  They probably should push for Ubisoft to make some robust multiplayer offerings in the Red Steel sequel. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 06:07:31 AM »

Metroid Hunter's multiplayer aspect sucked.  So I'm glad they abandoned the multiplayer and are focusing on the single player.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »

I actually thought Metroid Prime Hunter's SINGLE player sucked.

Metroid is not just a shooter, any more than System Shock 2 was just a shooter or Thief was just a shooter. Metroid is a first person game with shooting, but it is so much more than a FPS. So, I don't get why multi-player is a "must have" for some people. When shooters come out next year for the Wii (hopefully with much better controls than the ones released so far) they will likely all have online multi-player.

I actually think Echoes' biggest problem was that it was too damn hard. I think they actually improved the morph ball stuff greatly in it. And the lght/dark world stuff was cool. I can't believe after ONE sequel people are ripping Retro for repeating themselves.

-John

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »

having single player is fine,but if you are an ardent fan of the series or just love the game then the game will proberbly last you for the weekend,fine if the game is the size of Oblivion,but something tells me...that it just isn't

having multiplayer now is the way forward to make these games last,and with the amount and quality of other games now being released all the time,once people have finished the game thye are just not gonna go back to it,something needs to be there to entice people back

like denoginizer said...if i was part of a rental place where they did games,this would just be a rental for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 04:55:58 PM »

I never tried playing multiplayer in either Hunters or Echoes because the very idea seemed unappealing.  To continue a comparison from earlier in the thread, it seemed like trying to crowbar multiplayer into Thief -- you could probably set up a couple arenas for people to run around in, but there's no way to implement it without a radical departure from all the game play conventions that define the franchise.

I enjoyed Echoes every bit as much as the original Prime, but even the single player portion of Hunters failed to grab me.  It wasn't developed by Retro Studios and it showed: the game was very linear and the DS controls were uncomfortable and cumbersome compared to the GameCube entries.

-Autistic Angel

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 04:59:59 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 04, 2007, 04:39:42 PM

having single player is fine,but if you are an ardent fan of the series or just love the game then the game will proberbly last you for the weekend,fine if the game is the size of Oblivion,but something tells me...that it just isn't

It took me three weeks to finish MP: Echoes. Sure, the games aren't Oblivion-sized, but they aren't exactly short either.

having multiplayer now is the way forward to make these games last,and with the amount and quality of other games now being released all the time,once people have finished the game thye are just not gonna go back to it,something needs to be there to entice people back

Why do I have to go back to the game? As long as I have a good experience in my first (and probably only) playthrough, I'm going to be happy with the purchase.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 05:12:29 PM »

Let me put my dink hat on.

You suck.

There. Had to be said. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 05:36:19 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on July 04, 2007, 04:59:59 PM

Why do I have to go back to the game? As long as I have a good experience in my first (and probably only) playthrough, I'm going to be happy with the purchase.

Then what?  You either trade it in for $20 at EB or it takes up space on your shelf.  Mine as well just rent it.  I am looking forward to Bioshock.  But not even having the option of playing multiplayer after finishing the campaign makes Bioshock a rental just as much as Metroid to me.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 04, 2007, 05:36:19 PM

Then what?  You either trade it in for $20 at EB or it takes up space on your shelf.  Mine as well just rent it.  I am looking forward to Bioshock.  But not even having the option of playing multiplayer after finishing the campaign makes Bioshock a rental just as much as Metroid to me.

It will take up space on my shelf.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2007, 06:46:30 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on July 04, 2007, 05:58:42 PM

If I were you I'd take the twenty bucks.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2007, 07:13:43 PM »

I don't think I can precisely quantify this for you, but I feel that some games simply deserve to be owned.  X-Com, A Link to the Past, Psychonauts -- these are games which have *earned* my money, and I value having them here on my shelf far more than I would the few dollars they'd be worth on the market.

I also tend to play older games quite frequently.  Just in the last year or so, I've spent a great deal of time replaying Alpha Centauri, Halo, Ninja Gaiden: Black, Baldur's Gate, and FreeSpace 2.  This is in addition to newer titles like Supreme Commander and Super Paper Mario, so it should be no wonder that I'm still playing them long after other people have finished and moved on.  Tongue

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2007, 07:33:32 PM »

But is it going to be a First-Person Shooter or a First-Person Adventure game with an ARM DEDICATED TO ADVENTURING EVERYTHING TO DEATH? slywink

I'm interested in the Wii control aspect; We'll see how it does... on blockbusters dime.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2007, 09:30:56 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 04, 2007, 06:46:30 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on July 04, 2007, 05:58:42 PM

If I were you I'd take the twenty bucks.

I've got lots of shelf space. Just out of curiosity, how many games do you still play MP six to eight weeks after purchase?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 12:32:57 AM »

Quote from: Purge on July 04, 2007, 05:12:29 PM

You suck.

Watch out, kids.  Purge forgot to take his dink hat off! 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 12:57:34 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 05, 2007, 12:32:57 AM

Quote from: Purge on July 04, 2007, 05:12:29 PM

You suck.

Watch out, kids.  Purge forgot to take his dink hat off! 

don't worry, it's just to hide the dink tatoo on his forehead  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 11:54:19 AM »

And my dink attitude is about to show you how to spell tattoo.

Loser.

* Purge removes his dink hat, and immediately the resemblance to CeeKay disappears.

biggrin I'm hoping the new Metroid Prime has some suit upgrades like powerball spin etc.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 11:56:16 AM by Purge » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: