http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 06:38:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metroid Prime:Hunters reviews are coming in,and impressions!  (Read 3250 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2006, 08:43:44 AM »

I`m just curious it looks like this one is out there already in some places. Not sure if anyone is selling it yet, but... If so, I`d like to know about it! :wink: I just read that this game also uses the rumble pack...drool...me love the DS rumble pack...
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 10:47:22 AM »

So... I don't even know what MP:H is.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 11:02:09 AM »

Metroid Prime: Hunters

Perhaps an edit of your title might be in order? slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 06:14:08 PM »

I didn't know it came with a Rumble Pack!
Although... that's not really neccesary.

PSN ID: EduardoX
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 07:14:01 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"

I don't think it comes with it...it just uses it.  Metroid Prime Pinball was the one that came with it and you can now by the rumble pack alone for $10.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 07:21:11 PM »

Cannot WAIT to play this.  Multiplayer is going to be insaaaaane!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 01:28:54 AM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Quote from: "Eduardo X"

I don't think it comes with it...it just uses it.  Metroid Prime Pinball was the one that came with it and you can now by the rumble pack alone for $10.

Yea, to my knowledge it USES it, but does not come with it. Metroid Prime Pinball came with it, and you can order them for 10 bucks. This will be the 3rd game to use it though. I can`t wait!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 09:48:40 AM »

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920760.asp

Hopefully more will come sooner than later :wink: . Supposedly Nintendo power also gave a good score. I`m gonna love this Tongue .
siege

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 03:41:57 AM »

Nintendo Power gave it an 8/8.5 citing the single player was linear and repetitive, but the great multiplayer made up for it.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 07:09:31 AM »

Any impressions I`ve read on the Single player made it sound really good. I`m assuming that will be the case, even if it is a bit repetitive and linear :wink:.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 02:17:18 PM »

Can't wait for this.  Just put my money down for a copy at Gamestop. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 02:39:52 PM »

I'm definitely in the wait-and-see camp.  I'm not that wild about multiplayer and while I loved what I played of the first Metroid Prime, the control scheme made me mental.

Apparently the single-player game in the DS version is not its strong suit so I'm potentially OUT.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 03:34:24 PM »

Too busy playing Oblivion (once it comes out) to think about this game. Even though I love the Metroid series.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 09:44:11 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I'm definitely in the wait-and-see camp.  I'm not that wild about multiplayer and while I loved what I played of the first Metroid Prime, the control scheme made me mental.

Apparently the single-player game in the DS version is not its strong suit so I'm potentially OUT.

The controls in this are practically just like a fps on the PC, great stuff. I`ve heard some really good things from users who got it early about the single player too, so we`ll just have to wait and see :wink: !
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 02:21:57 PM »

Anyone get their call from Gamestop yet?  I'm hoping to pick this up today.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 02:31:47 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Anyone get their call from Gamestop yet?  I'm hoping to pick this up today.

I got mine last night.  Then, later, I got my call for Oblivion.  Today is going to be a great day.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 03:30:51 PM »

Took too long to come out.. lost interest..... wont look at reviews..... noooooooooooo..

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 08:33:53 PM »

I should be going top get mine really soon :wink: .
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 08:51:16 PM »

Go!  GO!  Tomorrow is my day to get it, so reading your impressions would be nice tonight   biggrin

See?  Now you have a reason to leave immediately to go pick it up!

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 11:09:19 PM »

My copy is gonna be here any sec. My kind wife :wink: , was kind (see I told you so :wink: ) enough to grab it ont her way home for me. I`ll give impressions later tonight. Prolly way later, but later nevertheless.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 11:49:37 PM »

Didn't a demo come with the DS when it launched like.. well over a year ago?

Either way I'm wondering just how a FPS game is going to control on a system without analog sticks. (It's bad enough on the PSP with just one, but none?)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 12:12:32 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Didn't a demo come with the DS when it launched like.. well over a year ago?

Either way I'm wondering just how a FPS game is going to control on a system without analog sticks. (It's bad enough on the PSP with just one, but none?)

The control scheme is ten times better than a dual-analog setup. You move the character with the d-pad. The DS comes with a "thumb strap" that has a little nub on it that you slip over your thumb. You then use the nub on the touch screen to look around and aim. Essentially it's just like using a mouse with the same level of precision.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 12:31:10 AM »

thumb doesnt get in the way? also, it can tell between "look left" and say "move screen more left" ? as in someone at the left edge - hmm hard to explain - um screen scroll and just looking on the same square handles well?

though your description kinda has me excited...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 01:45:36 AM »

The D-pad works like a PC's WASD setup, and the touch screen works like a PC FPS mouse look. Left trigger is fire, if I remember correctly. Tried the demo on my little cousin's DS and found the stylus look very intuitive, much more so than a console controller's right analogue stick. It was the D-pad that actually took some getting used to.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 03:10:36 AM »

Okay, I've been playing for about 30 minutes... I'm impressed.  The graphics aren't OUTSTANDING BLOW YOUR MIND 3d, but for the hardware it is running on, it looks outstandingly good.  I'm not completely sold on the control scheme.  The DUAL control (d-pad and buttons) isn't fine enough to hit some targets, but the Stylus and control feature cramps my hand after a few minutes.  Hooray for them providing decent lefty support though. smile  The Single Player game seems decent so far.  I'll know more when I have an idea on how many different areas there are to play through.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 03:10:42 AM »

WOOT thanks to Mr. stiffler my copy arrived today!  Should get some play time sometime tonight, though, must go to bed early for work tomorrow.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 03:41:18 AM »

... the Stylus and control feature cramps my hand after a few minutes.

Try it with the little thumb strap thingie. I don't even have a DS, so I can't say from experience, but most previews and reviews seem to think the game is easier to control, and more comfortable to control, with the thumb strap instead of the stylus.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 04:34:21 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
... the Stylus and control feature cramps my hand after a few minutes.

Try it with the little thumb strap thingie. I don't even have a DS, so I can't say from experience, but most previews and reviews seem to think the game is easier to control, and more comfortable to control, with the thumb strap instead of the stylus.

My thumbs aren't agile enough.  I tried it with the demo (and this version doesn't change how the stylus is used).  Thanks for the suggestion. The good news: It can be paused easily..so I can play until my hand kills me, and then break for a few.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2006, 04:51:22 AM »

Still sucks that playing the game kills your hands.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2006, 05:22:50 AM »

So far, I`m digging it too. I played the Adventure for about an hour or so and it was fun, that`s for sure. It is ALOT more action-y than the GC Prime so far, but that`s not a bad thing. It is called Metroid Prime:Hunters, not Metroid Prime DS :wink: ! The graphics are pretty cool actually. Given the hardware, there somethings that I`ve seen that are really impressive. The smoke off of you gun :shock: . When the first boss attacks you you`re screen has this cool special effect on it etc. I played a few bots and I lost everytime... But I got 2nd once :lol: . I can`twait to get wi-fi. Lol, I have MK, AC, and now this and still no wi-fi. Must...get...router...very...soon...SO far though, very fun. ANd if you look around, the moajority of people are saying the same.

No issues with the thumb strap here at all really.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2006, 05:34:24 AM »

Not that they haven`t rated things too high before, but anywho...

http://ds.ign.com/articles/697/697307p1.html  

So far a 9.0, 9.0, 8.5, 9.1...mainly smaller sites though.

I`d agree so far, well I gotta grab a beer and put the headphones on this time!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2006, 05:47:38 AM »

I'm having a fun time with it.  Love the sound effects and music . . . even with the main menu sounds and set-up.  Just very sleek and cool.

So far I've played up until I'm 9% complete and 12% with the Octoliths, so about an hour . . . a little more perhaps.  There's a little learning curve present - like what the IGN review states - but I've already gotten a handle on the controls fairly well.  Naturally, in the first hour the enemies/bosses are designed for you to become accustomed to the control scheme and so forth.  But I'm learning!

Yeah, my hand started to cramp up a little, so I took a break and went back to it.  I'm sure things will get better with that though.  It was the same with Mario Kart!  In the beginning my hands hurt, but I was able to find a position where they started not to.

But GAH living at home with my parents (which I can barely stand at the moment) sucks.  Why?  Well first because I'm 23.  Secondly it's because we live out in the boonies and yet, my Dad decided about two weeks ago or so to put a form of security on our wireless network.  Umm, there's absolutely no one around to actually steal our connection.  So currently I can't play online.  I'll give it a go when I'm at work tomorrow and see if I can possibly get on their network.  Or perhaps I'll just point out how retarded it is to have any form of security on our wireless network when the closest neighbor couldn't possibly access our network.

Ok!  Enough about that rambling - the game so far has had a surprising amount of cutscenes!  Awesome.  Graphics are of the "VERY good but not 'blow your mind out'" sort of proportions.  But they've certainly made it look great.

I've also noticed - it's a bit faster than the demo.  I like it.

Good stuff here!  Hope to figure out a situation to play with you vagabonds online!

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2006, 05:56:17 AM »

Did they include bots with it?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2006, 06:01:49 AM »

Yes there are bots. Pretty good to so far so it seems. One,Two, and Three stars are the Bot settings. I`m outtie no to really have that beer and play some more :wink: .
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2006, 09:10:09 AM »

Ok wow! Now after that playtime I just put into that, just WOW! Now don`t get me wrong, it`s far from perfect, but it is THE BEST FPS on a handheld ever (which isn`t saying much really in itself...), it simply has to do with the great control, once you get used to it of course :wink: .

The campaign or adventure mode as they call it better than some were making it out to sound like. I`m enjoying it quite a bit really. It`s straight forward shooting with puzzles and whatnot , but this is really the first good FPS on a handheld and overall the singler player is quite fun. Maybe people with other expectations would think otherwise, got me :? .

The graphics look better the more I play. For a DS game, this is top notch stuff. Up against anything the look of this game is good really. The sound is also really good, same for music etc. I read someone didn`t like the music...well... :? got me there too. I was using my Bose tripod headhpones with this game and it rocked. The overall presentation is very well put together also.

Has anyone played on wifi? I played bots quite a bit, and they seem fun enough that`s for sure.

Like I said it`s not perfect... It is like a maze in some areas, kinda like Halo and H2. But since I`m sitting and playing this on a handheld!!! :shock: The things that are "wrong" with the game, really don`t take anything away from it for me so far. Overall I`m very impessed and I need sleep :o

. But, the pros IMHO, FAR outweigh the cons in this case. Like I said before too, it is WAY more action-y, if you will, than Prime on the GC. But I`m liking that aspect alot so far.

I`ll grab a router VERY, VERY soon! Tongue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2006, 12:50:10 PM »

We've got this in an interactive in the store and I messed with it for a couple of minutes. The control setup seemed really clever with L and R on the D pad for strafing and using the stylus to turn. My boss got a copy of this to promote the game...while I don't play FPS games generally, I may ask if I can borrow it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2006, 01:25:21 PM »

I played the single player yesterday a little, getting up to the first bounty hunter.  One problem is that I havebeen playing a lot of PSP lately, so the graphics are pretty bad to me, but I know they are good for the DS.  I used the default controls of looking around with the stylus, shooting wth L, and moving with the D-Pad.  COntrol is fluid and I had no problems.

One negative is getting into scan mode.  I wish you could just tap the button to flip to it instead of having to hold that button down for a few seconds.  Not sure why they put the delay in there.  The reason it can be bothersome is I want to scan enemies, but the delay makes them get some hits on me.

The level design was fairly simple, but I enjoyed the little platforms you have to jump up to get to a higher level.  Again, the interface is easy, with double tapping making you jump.  I didn't really miss a platform, so that means the controls are pretty good.

I didn't try multiplayer at all.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2006, 03:52:02 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
One negative is getting into scan mode.  I wish you could just tap the button to flip to it instead of having to hold that button down for a few seconds.  Not sure why they put the delay in there.  The reason it can be bothersome is I want to scan enemies, but the delay makes them get some hits on me.

That's probably why there's the delay, so that you have to time your scans.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
WOOT thanks to Mr. stiffler my copy arrived today!

Glad you're enjoying it!  I've been enjoying your contribution for weeks now.

I'm probably going to pick this one up simply because I have nothing like it in my handheld arsenal.  Just seems like a nice change of pace from the stack of GBA side-scrollers and RPG's.

Keep the impressions coming.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2006, 11:10:53 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
Ok wow! Now after that playtime I just put into that, just WOW! Now don`t get me wrong, it`s far from perfect, but it is THE BEST FPS on a handheld ever

Strong words there!  Are you sure it's better than Faceball 2000 was?  That was an awesome game!   biggrin

No, seriously, I loved that game!  I had a blast with it, and I'm the only person I've ever met who played all the way through it and through the secret levels as well!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: