http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 07:00:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metroid Prime 2 Echoes?  (Read 2810 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2004, 12:44:27 AM »

Anyone get this? I'm not planning on buying this until next year (when I have a chance to finish #1) but I am still interested in hearing about it! I guess everyone got HL2 instead!  Tongue

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 12:49:41 AM »

My copy shipped from Canada today, but wont get here (UK) for a few days.

I've been really surprised at the apparent lack of enthusiasm and hype for the game on here though.  Where's the Metroid love?

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 12:55:50 AM »

Well, I think MP2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 have flown in under the radar because of Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Everquest II and World of Warcraft (yes, I realize 3 of those are PC games, but they are rather big PC games).  Any other year if these games had come out without the behemoths they'd be getting a lot more press.

I'll pick my MP2 up tomorrow.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 12:58:53 AM »

I thought the first one was as overrated as games get-so I am taking a pass. Hope you guys enjoy it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 01:11:40 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Well, I think MP2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 have flown in under the radar because of Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Everquest II and World of Warcraft (yes, I realize 3 of those are PC games, but they are rather big PC games).  Any other year if these games had come out without the behemoths they'd be getting a lot more press.

Yeah - 4 AAA titles in a single week is absurd. There's something like EIGHT this month alone.

MP2 and MGS3 are just slipping under the radar.

My first impressions of MP2 are simple - it's more of the same. And you know what? I loved the original MP so much, I really don't care. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 02:34:10 AM »

I found the first game a little to hard for my liking (a.k.a. the game went from fun to work to sold for credit) and I've heard that the second is even harder. I want to like the game, as Super Metroid is an all-time fav of mine, but if I'm going to get my ass served back to me on a platter then I'm not up for it.

And I'm of the camp that didn't mesh completely with the controls, so that's two strikes before I've even played the game.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 03:02:56 AM »

I just finished the first one last week.  There's too much other stuff I'm playing now so I think MP2 will go on the ol' Christmas list.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 05:01:06 AM »

I was disappointed with the first Prime. Very disappointed. The game just didn't click with me at all. The sequel seems to be more of the same, which in my case, isn't good. However, I'm not one to dismiss potential good games without even having giving them a go. So I'll keep my eye out for it when I'm renting.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 07:18:00 AM »

It's more of the same, bit now the basic monsters require different tricks to kill.  I liked it, but it got tedious at points, and the lack of character interaction (beyond shooting bad guys) made it even more dull.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 12:12:36 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
It's more of the same, bit now the basic monsters require different tricks to kill.  I liked it, but it got tedious at points, and the lack of character interaction (beyond shooting bad guys) made it even more dull.

What do you expect?  Samus is a BOUNTY HUNTER.  What is she going to do, talk to a spieces whose language I'm sure she doesn't understand before blowing them to bits?  Oy.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 01:19:42 PM »

Metriod Prime is meant to be played slowly.  You get MUCH more out of the game by scanning all the objects and allow yourself to absorb the atmosphere the game creates.  

If you try to hurry through it.  You not only miss all the cool details but you will miss secrets and hidden areas.   Thus, the puzzles will become frustrating and the bosses will be difficult.  You won't have the top-notch powerups from the hidden areas.

I'm a slow gamer in general.  I love detail.  So, the first MP cube game was perfect for me.  And it wasn't difficult.  I will be picking up the second one soon.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 05:25:26 PM »

Played to the first save point last night.  Excellent.  Honestly, I wasn't expecting much.  "More of the same," the reviews kept saying (though they were all positive).  I thought It'd feel a little been there, etc.  But playing it reminded me of how much I loved the first one (so sorry you lot who didn't seem to like the last one, not much here for you).  

Torfish is exactly right, though "playing slowly" may make the game sound boring.  It's anything but.  However, the game gets exponentially harder the fewer secrets you find.  Those secrets are all power-ups (usually extra missiles or life tanks) and are vital to winning.

And there is a lot of background to be discovered by scanning everything.  The last one was a rich world, and this one looks to be as well.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TrackZ
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 06:18:16 PM »

Quote from: "AJ McClain"
I was disappointed with the first Prime. Very disappointed. The game just didn't click with me at all. The sequel seems to be more of the same, which in my case, isn't good. However, I'm not one to dismiss potential good games without even having giving them a go. So I'll keep my eye out for it when I'm renting.

How refreshing to see some like-minded opinions. I'm a big Nintendo and Metroid fan going back to the NES, but Prime (and lots of recent N games) just feel tired. More of the same hits it exactly. I was totally underwhelmed by Prime and 2 doesn't seem to be different. Even the IGN review made so many references to aspects being repeated (crash land, lose your power-ups, find the same stuff, etc), yet these games are regarded so highly in discussion and in reviews.

That being said, I probably will play it anyway.  :?

Xbox Live Tag: TrackZ
Playing DOAU, Halo 2, etc and tons of games from any other console. Also playing City of Heroes as Arctic Star on Vicotry.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 03:19:15 AM »

Quote from: "Torfish"
Metriod Prime is meant to be played slowly.  You get MUCH more out of the game by scanning all the objects and allow yourself to absorb the atmosphere the game creates.  

If you try to hurry through it.  You not only miss all the cool details but you will miss secrets and hidden areas.   Thus, the puzzles will become frustrating and the bosses will be difficult.  You won't have the top-notch powerups from the hidden areas.

I'm a slow gamer in general.  I love detail.  So, the first MP cube game was perfect for me.  And it wasn't difficult.  I will be picking up the second one soon.

I think this is what I liked best about the first one.  I really felt like a bounty hunter alone on a dead world.  When you think about it who would Samus talk to?  She is alone...the game did a great job of making me feel that.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 03:03:14 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Torfish"

I think this is what I liked best about the first one.  I really felt like a bounty hunter alone on a dead world.  When you think about it who would Samus talk to?  She is alone...the game did a great job of making me feel that.

Even better is that they recreated the Metroid experience in a FPS.  

Sadly, I just don't have enough time to play all of these games.  I hope to get to this one eventually.  frown
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 05:12:50 PM »

Well more impressions anyone?  I am interested in this game but many of the reviews have pointed out that it is hard - much harder than the first game.  I have to admit I don't really care for really hard games, I simply have to much to play to get hung up on one fustrating game.

Anyway, how are people finding the difficulty?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 06:04:55 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Well more impressions anyone?  I am interested in this game but many of the reviews have pointed out that it is hard - much harder than the first game.  I have to admit I don't really care for really hard games, I simply have to much to play to get hung up on one fustrating game.

Anyway, how are people finding the difficulty?

Yes, the game is a bit harder than the original. Also, you have to (once again) wander the planet and try to find the artifacts hidden all over the place.

Is the difficulty a turn off though for me? As somebody who loved the first Metroid Prime, no, it isn't. I'm enjoying the added challenge.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 07:12:52 PM »

I really loved the first game. Until I got to the Omega Pirate Boss where I had to abandon the game in frustration.  Word that Prime 2 is even harder makes it very unlikely I will play it.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004, 09:19:45 PM »

Kevin, that is the exact moment I turned my back on Prime 1, and why I'm frightened to pick up Echoes.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 09:26:07 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I really loved the first game. Until I got to the Omega Pirate Boss where I had to abandon the game in frustration.  Word that Prime 2 is even harder makes it very unlikely I will play it.

Well I at least made it to the last boss! smile

I wonder how far I will get in MP2

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 09:28:06 PM »

Funny, I had no isssues with the omega pirate, in fact I felt he was easier than any of the other bosses, I was worried after hearing everyone talk so badly about it, but I took him out my first try. I'm more afraid of Metroid Prime itself than anything, I don't have to patience to play through such a long boss battle..

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 03:38:15 AM »

Honestly, I'm a wimpy gamer.  I play a lot of games on easy (mostly because I play a lot of games, and they take less time that way), and while there were some challenges in Prime, I found it pretty manageable.  

I'm 11% of the way through Prime 2, and there have been some tough moments (the dark world adds challenge by having you run to safe zones, similar to the moving chalice in Crystal Chronicles, but they're fixed), but nothing unbearable.  I've faced two or three bosses, but was never in real danger.

I do think the challenge increases dramatically if you don't work at finding all of the health and missile tanks.

For me, the most challenging thing in the last game was figuring out the map and keeping track of where I'd been, where I needed to go and to where I needed to return.  So far this one has been easier in that regard.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2004, 01:30:04 AM »

I got to the final boss in MP1, but I never could beat it.  I tried a couple of times, but damn it was a long fight!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2004, 02:00:59 AM »

The boys over at Penny Arcade really seem to love MP2 - to them, it's either HL2 or Echoes for GOTY. Sounds like it's really worth a try, maybe a rental or a used copy.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2004, 02:37:32 AM »

Been playing since finishing HL2 and am currently about 20% done. If you were a fan of Metroid Prime then you will love the sequel too, no question. Of course if you didn't like the first Prime then this wont change your mind either. It's more of the same (though the LttP like Light/Dark worlds provide an interesting twist), but that's exactly what I wanted - more Metroid goodness.  I already know that I'm going to be sad to see it end.

While everyone is creaming themselves over the graphics in HL2 and Halo 2, the art design in MP2 is stunning and deserves more recognition. I think the game looks much better than Halo 2 to be honest; while it may not have all of the technical innovations the design and detail of the environments are exceptional. I guess the look just appeals to me more.

The game is definitely a bit harder, but then one of the complaints fans had of MP1 is that it was way too easy aside from the final boss. So far difficulty has felt about right for me; it's more challenging but not been frustrating or anything.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2004, 05:25:10 AM »

Just started playing today.  Got two days off biggrin I'm kindof busy with Thanksgiving, but I'm really loving it so far.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 12:46:31 AM »

Well it took me a while, but I finally finished this today. I thought it was great, but I definitely prefer the first one. This game was just much harder than MP1. The graphics were slightly better in 2, and the scanning was done much better with bigger targets to scan and better color coding of what was important, and the morph ball was used to much better effect in 2. Otherwise, I prefer 1.

My main problem with 2 is that the difficulty was so much harder that my frustration level was sky high. I got frustrated at points in the first one too, but this one was far worse. I also was befuddled by the fact that there seemed to be fewer save points in this game! (I HATE SAVEPOINTS!) I really wish Retro would employ more of a Zelda like save/continue system where you could save at anytime. If you died or relaoded you can start back at the save point but with any progrss (items picked up) preserved. That would be a major improvement for me.

I thought the light/dark thing was a mixed bag. Sometimes the constant damage in the dark world just stressed me out to the point  of irritation. Plus you ended up wasting several minutes at a time sitting in the light spots recharging. They really should have put in a change where if you're idle (not moving or being attacked) you regenerated health much more quickly. The puzzles between light/dark worlds were pretty neat ala Link to the Past. I did think between the 2 worlds there was a bit too much backtracking. I know it's a Metroid staple, but I thought it was a bit excessive this time around, and I got genuinely sick of trapsing through a lot of these areas over and over again looking for things I missed.

Some of the boss fights were just brutal. One early one for the boost ball was a fun fight, but the boss just hit way too hard. I was maxed on energy tanks when I fought it, but I still had to replay several times to win it. The Ing Emperor was just a monster. I played it around 8 times before beating it and I was very close to dying myself when I finally, BARELY beat him. In particular I hated the first of the 3 parts where it's so tedious  trying to shoot all the tentacles and you get such a narrow window of time (and aim) to actually do damage.

I will say kudos to Retro for letting you continue AFTER killing the Emperor when you die at the hands of Dark Samus. Without that feature, I may not have ever finished the game. DS wasn't too bad, but it took me a couple tries to get the hang of catching the phazon and firing it back at her, so I needed the continues.

Still, a great game and one of my favorites for the cube. The morph ball puzzle increase was a boon and I really enjoyed a lot of the puzzles and boss fights involving the morph ball. MP3, more than anything else, is probably the reason I'll get a Wii, barring disastrous reviews. Now I need to give MP: Hunters a try!!! I really hope they put out a 2D Metroid for the DS.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: