http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 06:10:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metroid.... Pinball?  (Read 2541 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2005, 09:19:53 PM »

Awesome

It just sucks that right now it looks like we'll be waiting for this fall to get our hands on all of the cool DS games (Animal Crossing, Age of Empires, etc.)

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 09:28:56 PM »

The DS is in serious trouble. I'll honestly be surprised if it's even a viable platform a year from now.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 09:30:02 PM »

Sorry, I dont find any pinball game to be awsome.  :twisted:
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 09:41:10 PM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"
The DS is in serious trouble. I'll honestly be surprised if it's even a viable platform a year from now.

How is it in serious trouble?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 09:45:08 PM »

Yeah, I'd like to hear this as well.  It sold extremely well from a hardware standpoint.  Yeah, there's a pretty big game drought happening right now, but that's not uncommon as most companies hold their cards to their chest from Feb-April in anticipation of E3.

I love my DS.  I only have Mario and Urban Asphalt (both of which are great), but I think it was worth the price alone to see how good GBA games look on it.  And with Wario Ware coming out next week, I think it'll continue to get good playing time for quite a while.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 12:13:32 AM »

Sorry, I dont find any pinball game to be awsome.

Last edited by Chrisoc13 on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Then you havent played Pinball.........

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 12:16:02 AM »

Yes, HankRaptor, those are three fantastic pinball tables.

But you forgot Road Show. And Medieval Madness. Both absolutely fantastic tables. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 12:17:01 AM »

This thread needs more:

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 01:03:52 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Quote from: "Cleric7"

How is it in serious trouble?

I think we're already seeing the tip of the iceberg as far as Nintendo's biggest problem with the DS is concerned. Game makers are unable or unwilling (or both!) to take advantage of its unique features. Imagine if you're a game developer with a sack of gold to make one handheld game on one platform.

If you consider the DS, you have a set of hardware features that require your team to be creative, to think in new ways and to create the sort of game they have never created before ... Guess what? That's going to be mighty scary to the average developer! And there's no sense (really) in just ignoring those features and making a straight version that does little to take advantage of the unique features of the DS. Why not just make the same game (with fabulously better graphics) (and in VIABLE 3-D) for the PSP, a system that will very shortly have a vastly greater install base (I guarantee it)

I think that one of the biggest problems with the DS is that it just doesn't have 3-D gaming. Has anyone (ANYONE????) finished Super Mario on the DS?? Let's face it, the thumb strap is an absolute joke that not one person in ten is going to be comfortable with. Metroid is simply not going to be a satisfying game for most people.

And you know what? I think Nintendo already knows that the DS is not going to be a lasting success! They have been overly-adamant about saying that this is NOT the next Gameboy!! What does that suggest????

Listen I bought a DS on Day One. I would LOVE to see it succeed!! But there is so much writing on the wall, in my humble opinion...

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 01:57:01 AM »

OK - Someone has to post a picture of Scared Stiff!!

I agree with Cleric - I couldn't be more dissapointed in my DS. It's got a bunch of potential but, at this point, the best games are Sega's Touchy Feely and a version of Bejeweled (Zoo Keeper).

Combining this and the 10 year old, re-made games for the GC and I've lost so much faith in Nintendo.  frown

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 02:12:46 AM »

Wow, I'm glad I didn't buy a DS.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 05:34:17 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"

Combining this and the 10 year old, re-made games for the GC and I've lost so much faith in Nintendo.  frown

I weep for the future of gaming.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 06:16:29 AM »

I meant simulated  biggrin . It just isnt the same in a video game, and I dont like them at all unless they are real.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 10:04:07 AM »

I wouldn`t quite say this... "Wow, I'm glad I didn't buy a DS."

At least I wouldn`t and don`t.
 I have M64DS and it rocks. Next week wario ware is out. Another great title. Then there is animal crossing(SWEET!), lost in blue, Metroid, a few 3d zeldas I`m sure, viewtiful joe, etc, etc, etc. I don`t see what there is to be angry about.
 I`d rather see someone try to do new things. Otherwise we just play the same game over and over again.

Noone seems to remember the ps2 launch games...icky. :wink:
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 01:01:21 PM »

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2005, 01:02:06 PM »

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2005, 01:04:29 PM »

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2005, 01:05:32 PM »

And you dont like pinball...

I MISS pinball..

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2005, 03:52:53 PM »

Thanks Hank!!!

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2005, 06:37:40 PM »

Listen I bought a DS on Day One. I would LOVE to see it succeed!! But there is so much writing on the wall, in my humble opinion...

Well, obviously you feel very strongly about it and since most of your concerns is just supposition the only thing I can really say is that I couldn't disagree more. The DS is still selling briskly, even with a weak post-launch lineup and there is no reason to believe it won't continue to sell well given the spring/summer titles.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2005, 11:15:56 PM »

The DS is still selling briskly, even with a weak post-launch lineup and there is no reason to believe it won't continue to sell well given the spring/summer titles.

Not that you were quoting me or anything, but I'm sure the sales will be HUGE for the system but that doesn't really have any impact on my perceived value.

Britny Spears sells tons of CDs.

If you want to play Pokemon, the DS is the way to go.

biggrin

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 11:20:01 PM »

Not that you were quoting me or anything, but I'm sure the sales will be HUGE for the system but that doesn't really have any impact on my perceived value.

What does this have to do with anything? We were discussing whether the DS is 'in serious trouble' or it will be a 'viable platform a year from now'. Unit sales are entirely relevant to that.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2005, 04:02:29 AM »

What does this have to do with anything? We were discussing whether the DS is 'in serious trouble' or it will be a 'viable platform a year from now'. Unit sales are entirely relevant to that.

It has EVERYTHING to do with it. Viable within a year? Is that a measure of success for Nintendo now? Stay relavent for a year? They could box up a steaming pile of ox crap with 'Mario 64-Ox Crap Edition' and it will sell for a year.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't recommend a DS to anyone and this, in combination with dissapointment in the GC, and the arrival of the PSP leaves Nintendo vulnerable.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2005, 05:12:39 AM »

And you dont like pinball...

Simulated pinball on a handheld is a huge difference from the real deal. Man, what does someone have to do to get there post read around here? Put a pinball machine in it?
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2005, 06:07:52 AM »

It has EVERYTHING to do with it. Viable within a year? Is that a measure of success for Nintendo now? Stay relavent for a year? They could box up a steaming pile of ox crap with 'Mario 64-Ox Crap Edition' and it will sell for a year.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't recommend a DS to anyone and this, in combination with dissapointment in the GC, and the arrival of the PSP leaves Nintendo vulnerable.

Cleric7 implied he thought the DS would be as dead as Dreamcast in a year, that's what Andrew was referencing.

DS games are fun, for me. I never had an N64, so Mario isn't a re-hash to me, and I suspect a great many people who did play it like having it in a handheld version. Feel the Magic is a blast. Wario Touched looks even better and more bizarre than Wario Ware. Metroid will be a good game. I think there are lots of reasons to recommend it.

And just to head 'em off at the pass, liking the DS doesn't mean I think the PSP is better suited for ass-wiping. I have a few issues with the price and design, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2005, 07:06:30 AM »

I don't even know how we got in this discussion. I thought Cleric7 had seen some bad sales numbers or negative forecasts for the DS when he said that the DS would be dead as a viable platform within a year. Instead, I get a response along the lines of that he doesn't like any of the launch titles, the thumbstrap sucks, and developers are "scared" of the DS's unique features.

I don't care whether or not you or Cleric7 like the DS (it's certainly your perrogative).  I also certainly respect other gamer's gut feelings about the relative health of a platform. But I do think the DS's sales forecasts up to this point contradict much of of the doom and gloom you and Cleric feel.

'Course I would probably buy Mario 64-Ox Crap Edition,  Cool
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2005, 02:35:54 PM »

I'm with you on how we got to this, but I liked the pinball stuff!!

I was just agreeing with Cleric on the fact that I'm dissapointed with my DS. It seems like there's so much potential and maybe that's the frustrating part. I'm sure it will sell well but it's making me very unlikely to buy another Nintendo system. If more people start feeling this way, It's bound to start hurting sales.

Although I'm probably talking out of my ass and I'd be in line right behind you for Ox Crap Mario. I'm weak... biggrin

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2005, 11:26:51 PM »

HankRaptor - you, sir are an overachiever!  lol... any chance you've heard of a "bowling" pinball machine... that may have been it's name even.  the pinballs were red i think.

back to the DS:  i don't know if it will last, or if the developers will stick with it, but i love one thing about it - the brighter, more colorful screen.  i can actually tell colors apart, peripherally, on Dr. Mario (couldn't always on the SP) - and Pokemon Sapphire looks like a different game.  i wasn't even going to get one, i was going to force myself to wait for the 2nd iteration of the PSP.  but then Christmas came, i got one, and i love it. of course, it helps not to have paid for it, too!

the other thing to remember is that the DS doesn't really have to last very long, either!  isn't this the same company that has produced 5 handhelds in, what 15 or so years?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2005, 02:32:25 AM »

5 handhelds in 15 years, but with only one will graphics upgrade. Sure one to add color, but other then that, very little actual advancement. If youa re going to stick by that logic you could also say that Sony has released 4 consoles in the last 10 years or so, when they really have only released 2, and then two slimmer smaller versions.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2005, 03:12:24 PM »

hey, Chrisoc13, i think you made my point for me :wink:

Sony has released 4 consoles in the last 10 years or so, when they really have only released 2, and then two slimmer smaller versions.

absolutely true, PLUS the latest PS2 is still as defective, out of the box, as the past ones, and people are still buying them...  i think the same will be true of the DS or any Nintendo handheld - and at least Nintendo, for the most part, makes a more durable product than Sony (based totally on personal experience, btw)...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2005, 04:15:29 PM »

Bowling?

What time frame are you talking about as,  there are ALOT of bowling themed pinballs.....

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2005, 04:47:27 PM »

uh-oh, i'll have to "out" my age...  circa 1975-ish.... never mind how old i was then... :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2005, 05:14:28 PM »

Look here to see if you can find it

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Bowling&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2005, 06:03:02 PM »

well, before we get yelled at for bending this thread too much, i started another one on Off-Topic Tongue

http://consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4786

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: