http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 03:52:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 3 Impressions (No Spoilers)  (Read 7043 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2004, 04:00:04 PM »

I know this series isn't popular around here so this is probably a waste of a lot of digital ink but here goes anyway:

First, if you didn't like either of the previous MGS games then don't bother with this one.  In fact, I'd love it if you would avoid it- yes there are a lot of cutscenes but that's the series' thing and I don't expect it to change.  If you don't enjoy cutscenes, don't bother.

That said, if you liked MGS 1 but didn't enjoy MGS 2 because of Raiden and/or the convulated, wacky plot then you will likely really like MGS 3.

I really respect Gamespot's reviews but Kasavin was way off base when he commented that the the gameplay here wasn't radically different.  The series has had a major overhaul in the gameplay department far more dramatic than the shift from MGS 1 to SOL.  

The biggest shift is the loss of the Soliton radar.  No longer do you have an overlay of the map showing the enemies including their cone of awareness.  Since the game takes place in the 60s you are dealing with "older" tech.  In place of the radar are some other gadgets, all with their pros and cons.

First you have the Sonar- with this equipped it will send out an audible ping to the surrounding area and you will get an indicator of all life forms in the area (though no map overlay).  This is the most accurate device you have but the downside is that the ping is audible so if there are guards close you will be detected.

Then there is the motion sensor- this is passive only so its not detectable by guards.  It only detects moving objects though so it won't pick up stationary guards and it isn't as accurate as the sonar.  Also, it depends on battery life which will slowly drain so you can't keep it permanently equipped.  

Neither one is a full substitute for the radar so you will find that proper surveillance of an area is much more essential this time around.

Another major shift is the guard AI.  Its no longer defined by small cones of awareness. In previous MGS games you could pretty much do anything you want as long as you were more than 15 feet away from a guard.  Not the case here.  Your likelihood of being detected is a function of your camoflague rating and distance from the guard.  Neither is an exact science which leads to many tense situations as you try to determine just how close you can approach without being caught.  

The "food" system is rather interesting and not irritating at all (don't worry its not like feeding your guys in Ultima 7!).  Every area has a large variety of wildlife, each of which are unique in how they taste and what kind of stamina boost they give you.  If Snake continues to eat things he dislikes he will get a sick so its worth seeking out tasty items.  If you kill an animal there is a finite time period you have to eat it before it becomes spoiled.  On the flip-side, capturing live animals means you don't have to worry about spoilage and many live animals can be used to distract guards but the disadvantage here is you waste tranq ammo doing this.

Stamina is of huge importance.  Unlike previous games you don't need medpacks to heal- your health will regenerate over time.  The rate of regeneration is determined by your stamina level which can be boosted by eating.  Other activities like ledge hanging and swimming are also based on your current stamina rating.

Wounds are new too- If you get shot, burned, cut, etc your max health will be shortened until the wound is cured.  You can cure a wound immediately by using various medical supplies.  Supplies are limited, however, so if you cure yourself every time you may run out before they can be replaced.  Wounds will also cure over time so there is an interesting tradeoff between trying to play wounded with limited health or using supplies to get to full health.  

The Close Quarter Combat (CQC) system is also new and plays a big role.  If you have a CQC weapon equipped (bare hands, knife, knife/pistol combo) you can engage in CQC.  It starts like grappling in the previous games- approach an enemy and press the Circle button to grapple the guard.  Now comes the new stuff:  once you have the enemy grappled you can throw him to the ground for an instant knockout, slowly choke him, instantly slit his throat, use him as a human shield, or interrogate him.  

Graphically the game is very nice- it has the best camoflague integration I've ever seen.  With the proper gear, Snake really does blend into the environment.  The same applies for guards- they are much harder to pick out against the background so I've been surprised several times when I did lackluster surveillance on the area.

All of this adds together for probably the best stealth system I've ever seen and one radically different from previous MGS titles and just about every other stealth game.  As you are crawling through the underbrush, avoiding traps, trying to sneak up on guards it was just as immersive as a stealth experience as the Holy Grail of stealth games, the Thief series.  

The story is also much more straightforward.  I'm still relatively early in the game but reviews and other comments indicate that the story stays focused throughout and doesn't devolve into wackiness like MGS 2.  Fair warning though- the beginning of the game is excessively cutscene heavy and not necessarilly indicative of the rest.  There is a lot of setup to get across and a lot of new info to impart to the player so be prepared for some long cutscenes and codec conversations during the Prologue section of the game.  After that it settles out quite a bit.  The cutscenes are still lengthy (and awesomely produced) but the gameplay sections are much longer.  There's still tons of codec dialogue but most of it is optional and player-initiated so you can get as little or as much as you want.

There is also a lot of intentional humor here.  While the story is serious, Kojima isn't afraid to poke some fun at the series itself and particularly MGS 2.  

There's still a lot more but this post is already long enough.  Its a pretty big change from previous games and I admit I got my ass kicked in the beginning area frequently as I adjusted to the new system.  One nice thing- if you get detected and want to restart the area you don't have to sit around let yourself get killed like in previous games.  There is a "fake death" pill that you can take.  I think it has other, gameplay related uses but taking it will instantly give you the Continue screen.

The game is also supposedly pretty long- up to 25 hours or so if you go with the stealth approach for most of the game.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 04:31:49 PM »

I haven't picked this up yet, but you and I seem to be of a small group that loves these games.  I'm waiting on a possible review copy to show up, but I am also going to go out and rent this for the holiday weekend and enjoy it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 04:44:45 PM »

I rented the game from Blockbuster, and have put about three hours into it.  So far, it is easily the best game in the series.  The cutscenes and story are especially well done.

My only real complaint is in one aspect of the controls. I just don't like the way going from crouched to prone is implemented. I keep wanted to move forward while crouching, but whenever you move the analog stick forward while crouching you automatically go prone.  Its a small complaint, but I keep tripping up over it.

Other than that, MGS3 is great fun.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 05:10:13 PM »

Sorry smile

Wake up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 05:18:44 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Not to derail, but I thought this quote conveyed my thoughts on MGS2 perfectly.  (this is actually talking about MGS3 though, which I haven't played).

If you want to know what the game is like but you don’t want to buy it, here’s what you do. Go out into your backyard and lay down in the grass for fifteen hours. Every twenty minutes have a friend come out and step on your balls. That will give you a pretty good idea of what MGS3 is like.

I hated MGS2.

No offense but that's the kind of comments I wanted to avoid here.  As I said the MGS series isn't well liked here (and the reasons have been hashed out many times on this and other forums).  I would prefer to keep this thread focused on MGS 3 and reactions from people who like MGS 1 or 2 or are new to the series.  I don't want to see this thread go down the "Haven't played MGS 3 but I just want to say MGS 2 sucked" path.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 05:21:35 PM »

Quote from: "RamPanther"

My only real complaint is in one aspect of the controls. I just don't like the way going from crouched to prone is implemented. I keep wanted to move forward while crouching, but whenever you move the analog stick forward while crouching you automatically go prone.  Its a small complaint, but I keep tripping up over it.

Yeah, I wish they had a crouched movement mode too.  One nice thing that is new with MGS 3- while prone if you hold down X (vice tap) you will go completely to the standing postion.  In the previous games I would frequently try to stand from the prone position just to find myself accidently going prone almost immediately.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 07:13:58 PM »

That said, if you liked MGS 1 but didn't enjoy MGS 2 because of Raiden and/or the convulated, wacky plot then you will likely really like MGS 3.

Thanks for the impressions, Kevin. I played the Twin Snakes eariler this year and kind of had this love/hate thing going with it so I put down. Came back a couple of months later and found that it had really grown on me. Enjoyed the game for its cinematic feel. I've been scared away from playing the second one due to all the negative comments, so I'm glad that the third one is similar to the first game. I bought four games last week and haven't even opened them yet, so I'm going to hold off on Snake Eater and put it on my Christmas List.

Question: Will I have any trouble playing the game if I haven't played Sons of Liberty? I know it's a prequel and all, but I figure the game might use characters that we're introduced in the second game and might assume that we know who they are. And, of course, this being Kojima, I'm afraid I might miss a lot of references.

Thanks again for the impressions.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 07:25:22 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

Question: Will I have any trouble playing the game if I haven't played Sons of Liberty? I know it's a prequel and all, but I figure the game might use characters that we're introduced in the second game and might assume that we know who they are. And, of course, this being Kojima, I'm afraid I might miss a lot of references.

Tough to say at this point.  At the outset it seems pretty newbie friendly- when you start the game you can select from the following options:

I'm new to the MGS series
I liked MGS 1
I liked MGS 2

I selected the third option and got a very funny easter egg for those who've played part two.  From reading other forums this option is also supposed to tailor the tutorial section for your familiarity with the series.

Since its a prequel I don't think anything in MGS 2 is required however some of the revelations have the potential to be lost on you.  MGS 2 concerns a secret organization called The Patriots and so far there has been at least one reference to them in MGS 3 and I'm expecting more as it goes on.  

I imagine that you'd be fine and the worst that could happen is that some of the plot points in MGS 3 would spoil you for MGS 2 but since you don't plan on playing it that's not much of a worry.  

Also, MGS 2 came with a very elaborate summary of MGS 1's plot, and MGS 1 summarized the NES games IIRC.  Since, MGS 3 has no such thing for either of the two previous games, I'm assuming Kojima would have put one in if it was necessary (he also had a neat video plot summary of ZoE 1 at the beginning of ZoE 2).
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 07:31:13 PM »

What I hated about MSG2 was the lack of gameplay. Yes, they give you all sorts of options and in the end, all I had to do was run full tilt through the areas because the bad guys would just reset from screen to screen. Only on the ship areas was the gameplay really fleshed out and options given. And there's only one boring set of rooms that you repeatedly trek through. The story took a dive near the end into pure masturbation which nearly every anime also falls into.

BUT, I could forget all these things if the gameplay was a little more apparent and if they didn't constantly throw you into sections where you can't see in front of you. But I've heard that time and time again you can't even see the enemies who supposedly see you. Is this the case?

I'll probably get it from SwapYourGames eventually.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 10:12:20 PM »

BUT, I could forget all these things if the gameplay was a little more apparent and if they didn't constantly throw you into sections where you can't see in front of you. But I've heard that time and time again you can't even see the enemies who supposedly see you. Is this the case?

That's intentional- as I said camoflague is a big part of the game for both the enemies and the player.  The enemies *do* blend into the surroundings because they're supposed to.  That means the game puts a greater emphasis on surveillance and stealthy approaches.

As far as gameplay goes- there is a cubic ton of it.  There is so much more that I could write about than what I put in my post above but I'd hate to spoil it.  Each area is like a new, fun sandbox with tons of different approaches and techniques that could be used.  I've often dispateched all of the enemies in an area then restarted it just to do it in a different way.  I'm already looking forward to replaying the game on hard difficulty.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 10:38:00 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

That's intentional- as I said camoflague is a big part of the game for both the enemies and the player.  The enemies *do* blend into the surroundings because they're supposed to.  That means the game puts a greater emphasis on surveillance and stealthy approaches.

The rest sounds good, but I think you're misunderstanding my point here...the camera would turn in such a way that you cannot LOOK in the direction you would like to, which results in offscreen enemies and cameras detecting you. That was my experience in the other games and some have noted this in the third one. Is this as common? Again, stealthy enemies is one thing, offscreen is another.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 12:29:55 AM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"

The rest sounds good, but I think you're misunderstanding my point here...the camera would turn in such a way that you cannot LOOK in the direction you would like to, which results in offscreen enemies and cameras detecting you. That was my experience in the other games and some have noted this in the third one. Is this as common? Again, stealthy enemies is one thing, offscreen is another.

Yes, that's still the case.  The camera system is the most oft-cited complaint in the reviews and I can see the point though it doesn't bother me.  It still defaults to a sort of isometric overhead view but its better than the previous two games- the camera can now be adjusted in each direction and locked into place at the desired angle but it still lacks the freedom of most other 3rd person camera view systems.

It doesn't effect me because I use the first person view heavily, especially with the binoculars.  So far I have yet to be detected due to the camera system failing me but if it was a big annoyance for you in the previous games I would definitely rent it first.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 04:09:18 PM »

I beat the game yesterday and I can say that this is easily the best game I've played this year and one of the best games I've ever played. I loved it. Loved the plot, the characters, the gameplay. I'll definitely be playing it again sometime, probably soon.
Kevin's impressions were dead on, and I recommend you pick this game up if you're even remotely interested. It's incredibly good.

My smile still stays on.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 04:23:13 PM »

I'm taking a helluva long time with this game.  I've logged 21 hours in so far and I'm probably only 2/3 of the way through, if that.

The gameplay is just fantastic.  I really think a lot of people who had been turned off of the series would really enjoy this one once they get into it.  Hell one of the boss battles (which has been repeatedly called one of the best ever in reviews) would make its own fantastic game in and of itself.

My only disappointment so far is the story- its a little too straightforward for a MGS game to me.  I realize most people would like that but aside from some stuff early on, there really haven't been any plot twists so far and one that I'm sure will be coming has been telegraphed a little too strongly.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 05:41:54 PM »

*Edited: Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the title of the thread.

My smile still stays on.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 03:38:59 AM »

Holy Shit this game is awesome.  Right now its a toss up between this and HL2 for my GOTY and if the finale is as awesome as I've heard I think MGS 3 might edge it out.  Probably the most original and best boss battles I've ever encountered (and I normally hate boss battles).
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 03:42:54 AM »

Personally, I think that Half-Life 2 isn't even in the same category (just beat it) but everybody else seems to love it, so I might be missing something. But Snake Eater is definitely my game of the year.

My smile still stays on.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 06:59:05 AM »

Alright, I'm not even done yet but this game seriously has the most amazing finale I've ever played.  I think my PS2 is groaning under the graphical load- Kojima must know about some secret processor that no other devs can access.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 09:49:46 AM »

Okay, I'm done and I'm just sitting here in awe with this incredible buzz.  Without a doubt the best finale and ending I've ever seen in a game.  Fantastic.  Without a doubt my GOTY.  

My final time was 33h 11m.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 11:51:37 AM »

So, ummm... Kevin, you want to share the joy with someone who's experienced it, in another spoiler-full thread? smile

My smile still stays on.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 05:58:51 PM »

Honestly Kevin, your exhuberance has made me excited to play the game. But I can't remember any of the convoluted plot points from the first two games. I know this is set in the past, so will I be able to understand it for the most part?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 06:24:17 PM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"
Honestly Kevin, your exhuberance has made me excited to play the game. But I can't remember any of the convoluted plot points from the first two games. I know this is set in the past, so will I be able to understand it for the most part?

Glad you mentioned that- I wanted to respond defiinitely to Andrew's question from earlier.

Yes, you can start the game knowing nothing of the previous entries.  There are a few nice nods to later events here and there but it tells its own (rather straightforward for a MGS game) story with no prior knowledge required.

Be forewarned- if you don't enjoy the series' cutscenes the first three hours are chock full of them.  After that it settles out considerably with gameplay dominating.  

Also, I found the game pretty damn hard to begin with.  It takes a little while to grasp some of the new gameplay and until I did, I found it a bit frustrating.  Now that I understand though the gameplay options boggle my mind.  Each area is like a wonderful sandbox that has almost unlimited ways you can play it.  There is no one, "right" way to play thorugh anything in this game.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 08:34:07 PM »

it's odd to think that a mgs game would be considered a "sleeper hit", but with all the big releases at this time of year, it just got covered up.  

i'll have to pick this one up sometime.  it would get lost atm though,  too many other games to play.  

thanx for the positive imps kevin.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 08:56:44 PM »

Quote from: "Caine"
it's odd to think that a mgs game would be considered a "sleeper hit", but with all the big releases at this time of year, it just got covered up.  

Well there is definitely a lot of gamer enmity against the series following SOL.  I loved SOL but understand why so many hate it.

In a lot of ways Snake Eater is a big apology.  Tons of fantastic gameplay, no character switching, much higher gameplay to cutscene ratio, very few required codec conversations, straightforward plot, double the length of its predecessor, etc.  In fact there are several areas where MGS 3 directly paradies its predecessor which I won't spoil.  Kojima shows he clearly is learning from gamer reaction.

I've seen MGS 3 get almost universally positive reaction, particulary those who hated the second game.  There are some complaints about the number of cutscenes at the beginning of the game but many of these people have later gone on to proclaim it one of the best games of the year.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2004, 04:51:06 PM »

I am big MGS fan and I've been enjoying the game as well. My initial impression wasn't super positive. I really missed the indoor enviornments of the previous MGS games. I think the idea of an outdoor solid snake adventure is great, but I really wish they had used a different engine or camera setup to match the env change. With the wide open areas, having such a limited view and not being able to move around in 1st person really hurts.

That being said I got over that complaint after about an hour's worth of play. The new toys are fun, the sonar & motion detector, and I found things much easier once you get a hold of the thermal goggles.

The guard AI is awesome. I like how the guards actually get wounded with a nice blood spray and eventually limp around.  Guards will also run for cover in some cases - they don't always just stand there while you mow them down.

The cut scene direction and animation is fantastic this time around. There are some truly unique and impressive fight scenes. The camera work is great as well, very cinematic - not stuff you usually see in video games. Nobody does this better than Koijima and his team.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2004, 07:05:15 PM »

angrycoder- don't worry you will get to some indoor environments later.  I'd say the game is approx 70/30 outdoor to indoor environments.

I'm currently replaying Twin Snakes and its amazing how limited it feels after playing MGS 3.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004, 05:04:51 PM »

A tip for those playing:

There is a major character revelation that is referenced only in an easy to miss codec.  Not required for understanding the plot but it will be of interest to most.

To get this codec:

Following the first boss fight, in the "dark" area that follows, repeatedly query EVA over codec until you get to the revelation(you'll know it when you hear it).  Its cryptic but fairly obvious and will be confirmed later in the game by another character but, oddly enough, is never referenced directly.

From reading other messageboards most seem to miss this.

Another general gamplay tip- takes things *slow*.  There are tons of hidden secrets and gameplay aspects that are easy to miss if you rush through the different areas.  Taking the time to actually interrogate guards and search your surroundings will play off in spades.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 11:04:30 PM »

Hey thanks a lot Kevin!  I just bought the game!  It had better be good or it's your head!  biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2004, 04:31:15 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Hey thanks a lot Kevin!  I just bought the game!  It had better be good or it's your head!  biggrin

Uh oh :shock:

Seriously- its a great game and one that has some really great word of mouth right now.  Gamespot is one of the lowest with their 8.7 and I honestly think Kasavin was hedging his bets with MGS 3 after the backlash of MGS 2 (which Kasavin rated something like a 9.5).  

The same caveat applies that I've repeatedly mentioned- this is a game that truly gets better and better as it goes so if it doesn't knock you out right off give it some time.

Also- read the manual and/or the help menu!  There are *so* many different moves and actions and its very easy to overlook quite a few.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2004, 07:02:18 AM »

Add me to the list of people after Kevin's head if this ends up sucking...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2004, 07:43:27 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

I do think I recommended renting before buying somewhere along the line (checks life insurance policy)....

EDIT- Also its not just me and O.DOGG- Loren raved about it in his review.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2004, 11:38:00 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Dimmona"

I do think I recommended renting before buying somewhere along the line (checks life insurance policy)....

EDIT- Also its not just me and O.DOGG- Loren raved about it in his review.

Yep, I did.  I think there is a lot of trepidation for people to buy this game.  I think a lot of them are thinking it is either:

1. Too much like MGS2 with a confusing plot or far more movies/codecs than gameplay
2. The healing of wounds and necessity to eat don't sound too exciting or as easy as they actually are

Truth is, it's a well done game with lots of avenues for you to explore (which Kevin and O.DOGG have gone into great detail in the spoiler discussion thread).  The fact that Kojima actually makes inside jokes about MGS2 shows me that even he might have thought he went a bit too far in the storytelling for MGS2.

MGS3's story is far more grounded and explanitory with less "out there" ideas unless you go deep into some codec conversations.  MGS3 is basically MGS2s packaging with the great melding gameplay and story of MGS.  That's just my opinion though.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2004, 05:20:28 PM »

mgs:se is a masterpiece...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2004, 03:45:11 AM »

Isn't there a DVD that comes with the game?  Whats on it?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2004, 03:53:08 AM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Isn't there a DVD that comes with the game?  Whats on it?

Not to my knowledge.

EDIT:

I take that back.  I think I read something about a DVD that contains cutscenes from some of the games in the series.  I think it just hit gamestorees though- it wasn't available upon MGS 3's release and I honestly have to no idea to get the disk and may even be wrong about the content.  But I definitely remember *something* about a disk (which is probably no help at all).
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2004, 04:03:36 AM »

There was a Konami preview disc I believe, but I have no clue if this is the same thing or not being talked about.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2004, 02:54:54 AM »

I read something about a DVD containing "the location of the patriots" on it?  Weird.  I didn't know exactly what that meant besides the patriots were in SoL.  Maybe they are talking out of their ass.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2004, 10:42:07 PM »

So I've put in maybe a two hours into the game and have actually controlled Snake for about, oh, ten minutes here and there.  There's a strong sense of disconnect from the game, as if I'm not really playing it so much as I'm watching it, which is fine because what I've seen so far is so damn amazing.  I just wish I had gone in with the mindset that I'll be a passive member rather than playing an active role, which the game won't let me do yet.  

I do think the cinemas are incredibly animated, though the dialouge is a bit stiff and the voice acting isn't the best (is it me or is the woman who does Boss' voice also the voice of the female newscaster on Family Guy?).
Honestly, I think the next move for Kojima should be to make a MGS movie using the game engine or something similiar to it.  There were a couple of elements to the story that reminded me a lot of Ninja Scroll and I think that it would make a hell of a movie.  

But to try and wrap that up into a game...

And yes, before you say it, I know that I have a long way to go and I should give it a chance.  I plan to.  Honest, I will.  It's just that I'm also playing through Half Life 2 and the storytelling in that game is so much more elegant and better integrated.  I had the same problem with Halo 2:  great cinemas, amazing gameplay, awful storytelling and execution.

Oh well.  I guess going to grad school for creative writing has made me focus on storytelling a little too much.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2004, 11:56:11 PM »

As I said in my impressions post- the first several hours of the game are excessively cutscene heavy.  This will change after the first few minutes of Operation Snake Eater and you will find the cinemas and codecs become few and far between (though still spectacular when they show up).

For all of the major improvements Kojima made in MGS 3 I think he would have been better served by making some changes in the prologue- perhaps take a page from MGS 1 and make a lot of the the briefing material available outside the game via the menu system while only giving the basics during the actual game itself.  Kojima really was trying to do a lot in the prologue- pass the story setup, character relationships, and all of the new gameplay and I don't think he did it in the most effective manner he could.  

Trust me- play a bit into Operation Snake Eater and see if it doesn't ratchet your opinion way up.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2004, 12:13:44 AM »

Yeah, well, I have no idea what storytelling you're talking about in HL2. IT HAD NO STORY WHATSOEVER!

My smile still stays on.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: