http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 01:46:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal Gear Acid Tips?  (Read 2026 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2005, 02:31:35 PM »

(Cross posted from OO because no one replied there)

Hey all. I'm really enjoying MGA so far. I've just gotten through the first "real" mission (the office) and have gained access to the card store, so was hoping for a bit of advice:

Should I drop all of my available funds on card packs or save some money for later?

Also, I know I left some cards behind in the last mission. Should I start the mission over? Not start over but do the map again for the supplemental objective? Not worry about it?

I've got a card that changes Equipment level to 2. Does this increase the available equip slots? If not, what does it do and how do you get more slots?

How are other people enjoying the game?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 03:07:23 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
(Cross posted from OO because no one replied there)

Hey all. I'm really enjoying MGA so far. I've just gotten through the first "real" mission (the office) and have gained access to the card store, so was hoping for a bit of advice:

Should I drop all of my available funds on card packs or save some money for later?

Also, I know I left some cards behind in the last mission. Should I start the mission over? Not start over but do the map again for the supplemental objective? Not worry about it?

I've got a card that changes Equipment level to 2. Does this increase the available equip slots? If not, what does it do and how do you get more slots?

How are other people enjoying the game?

1) be a smart shopper - if you want the special cards (& you do), get ready to do a lot of 'buy 2 packs, no specials, exit to title screen without saving, repeat' -type card shop purchasing...

2) i'd definitely get the mission card packs, & re-doing missions for missed packs is easy enough...

3) yes (you could just try using it, eh?)...

4) enjoyed mga immensely - as perfect an intro to the psp as i could've ever wanted...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 03:13:25 PM »

I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Went to work after I made the post yesterday and didn't get home til late.

I'm going to give it a go today, though.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 03:17:03 PM »

I got to the office part also but have not made much progress there. Something is just not clicking yet. It seems like I am not doing something I should be as it seems like I have to kill everyone (and usually fail at doing that).
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 04:38:45 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
I got to the office part also but have not made much progress there. Something is just not clicking yet. It seems like I am not doing something I should be as it seems like I have to kill everyone (and usually fail at doing that).

I just redid that mission, because I'd left 2 or 3 card packs behind (including one you can get for blowing up the guard bot). This time I wanted to focus on taking everyone out, just to get a handle on the strategies...did a better job this time, as while I was spotted before taking people out, no one actually got a shot off at me.

One thing I'm figuring out is that you shouldn't hesitate to end your turn early. Keep an eye on your cost and the turn order of nearby foes. Often, ending a turn early will set you up better for the following turn (which you may get immediately). This works real well with a plus action card sometimes. Maybe you use only one of your three actions, then end the turn, then get three more immediately. Ending turns eary is also important when using +action so you don't use all your cards up just moving around.

I know it is early in the game, so it will probably get harder, and there are some mechanics I haven't seen yet (no equippable weapons) but I'm getting the hang of things, I think.

Question, though: Is it possible to load a save without quitting the game entirely? Nevermind..just found it on the options menu.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 05:10:10 PM »

One thing I'm figuring out is that you shouldn't hesitate to end your turn early. Keep an eye on your cost and the turn order of nearby foes. Often, ending a turn early will set you up better for the following turn (which you may get immediately). This works real well with a plus action card sometimes. Maybe you use only one of your three actions, then end the turn, then get three more immediately. Ending turns eary is also important when using +action so you don't use all your cards up just moving around.

i think this is about as important an aspect of the game to figure out as any - once this clicked for me, pretty much the whole game clicked...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 05:50:36 PM »

As an example of how you might use that technique, in this most recent mission, I was at 3 actions per turn. I ended my turn early, standing next to a corner. Just around the corner were two guards. On my next turn I was able to move past the corner, toss a grenade, then shoot the grenade.

Deck building isn't real clear yet. I have a bunch of cards I can't use, because I have no weapons that can be equipped (and there don't really appear to be any in the MGS1 packs).

I've looked at some walkthroughs, not for the walkthroughs themselves, but just for general tips. They don't seem to mention the equipment level cards in their decks, so I'm wondering if the effects of those last beyond a particular mission, but I haven't tried yet.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 06:01:20 PM »

The game is designed to support you replaying the mission areas.  First- there are several card packs that you will be unable to get the first time through due to not having the correct card key or technique to get it.  Also, you will find that upon returning to areas the game will generate different mission objectives than before.  Story missions typically just focus on getting from Point A to Point B but replaying missions often produces objectives like "kill everyone," "remain undetected," "steal a key from a guard", etc.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 06:30:32 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
The game is designed to support you replaying the mission areas.  First- there are several card packs that you will be unable to get the first time through due to not having the correct card key or technique to get it.  Also, you will find that upon returning to areas the game will generate different mission objectives than before.  Story missions typically just focus on getting from Point A to Point B but replaying missions often produces objectives like "kill everyone," "remain undetected," "steal a key from a guard", etc.

I've actually replayed the office area once, but I still don't have a key to get in some of the doors. If I replay it again, might I get a new objective, or the same one I just had (when I replayed it the first time)?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 07:34:00 PM »

You'll probably get a new objective. You won't get the key that way though (if we're referring to the same thing).  The "key" in replays is just an artifical constraint forced on the game to prevent you from leaving.  The key you are probably thinking of is one of the Level Card Keys which are obtained later in the game and, in true Metal Gear Series fashion, allow you to return to previous areas and pick up goodies you missed.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 08:17:56 PM »

Yes, I meant the level card key.
I was just buying card packs trying to get that or the C4. I didn't come up with either of those, but managed to snag my first 4+ and 5+ cards (psycho mantis and liquid snake, respectively).

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 08:37:40 PM »

Yes, I meant the level card key.
I was just buying card packs trying to get that or the C4. I didn't come up with either of those, but managed to snag my first 4+ and 5+ cards (psycho mantis and liquid snake, respectively).

Card Keys and C4 (and anything other plot necessary) are doled out i the course of gameplay- you won't get them just by buying card packs.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 08:38:41 PM »

I kind of figured that at this point, but thanks for confirming it for me.
I'm heading toward the C4 now, as a matter of fact.

Have I mentioned I'm having a blast?

Right now if I had to, I might just rank the three games I have:
1) MGA
2) Lumines
3) Wipeout

Even Wipeout is a good game, but I'm finidng that winning races is extremely difficult for me, even in the easiest league.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 04:48:31 PM »

A couple of questions for the experts:

1) Is there a way to unequip something once equiped, or do I simply have to equip something else over it?

2) I now have a bunch of equipable weapons and the documentation says that I need to equip ammo on top of the weapon to use it, but I don't have any ammunition cards at all. Is this normal or am I doing someting wrong?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 06:45:15 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

1) Is there a way to unequip something once equiped, or do I simply have to equip something else over it?

2) I now have a bunch of equipable weapons and the documentation says that I need to equip ammo on top of the weapon to use it, but I don't have any ammunition cards at all. Is this normal or am I doing someting wrong?

1) equip something over it was the only way i ever figured out...
2) what you actually need to equip is any weapon card that uses the same ammo (like a second card of the one equiped, for example) on top of the weapon card you've already equiped (the 'ammo' thing might've been as confusing as any single aspect of the game)...

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 07:27:21 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

1) equip something over it was the only way i ever figured out...
2) what you actually need to equip is any weapon card that uses the same ammo (like a second card of the one equiped, for example) on top of the weapon card you've already equiped (the 'ammo' thing might've been as confusing as any single aspect of the game)...

Thanks, sc. In regards to #2, I equip a weapon in a slot and then use a second weapon card with the same ammo to fire? So, which weapon fires? The one I equipped originally, or the second card I'm equipping on top of it?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 07:40:13 PM »

Andrew, that whole weapon and ammo issue is easily the most confusing aspect of the game and a major mistake in the way they translated.

Basically:

Lets say you have five AK-74u cards in your deck and you plan to use it.

Equip the AK to an equipment slot.  Now its "equipped."

In order to fire it, you have to draw one of the four remaining AK cards and then USE it over the AK in your equipment slot.  That will bring up the interface for choosing which enemy to attack.

Technically, it doesn't have to be an AK as long as the weapon you USE has the same ammo type (.45, 5.55mm, etc).
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 09:40:20 PM »

Cool, think I got it now. Thanks for the info.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 04:16:49 AM »

Note that while I have not had the chance to do this myself, my understanding is that the number of shots fired is always taken from the card used as ammo, even if that number is higher that the weapon that is actually equipped.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 06:14:42 PM »

I finished this over the weekend, but one of the levels  really bugs me. In the last map on Chapter 13, the one with all the catwalks, is there anyway to get past some of the guards that patrol right in front of the terminal that you have to stand next to? I tried using the hang cards, but they don’t seem to work on this level. I finally ended up killing everybody on the map out of irritation, but it bugs me that I couldn’t figure out a way to do it stealthily.

Acid’s kind of an interesting experiment, although I’d be hesitant to call it completely successful. I think I spent as much time frustrated with the game as I did enthralled by it. When it works, it works well, but there wasn’t enough variety in the missions and towards the end it started to wear out its welcome a little bit.

That said, the game must do some things right, as I find myself itching to go back and try some of the maps again to try different strategies that I figured out in later levels. I think the most interesting part of the game is the whole cost management angle. I loved all the different strategies that could be employed by using various support cards and ally cost reduction cards.

In contrast, the game oftentimes became tedious when having to sit there and discard and draw cards endlessly to get the perfect hand because the end stages were so unforgiving. And I have to complain that the last level took too long; I almost threw my PSP when I needed one more hit on the final boss and then got smacked down by an insta-death move.

Venting aside, it’s definitely well worth trying out if your looking for a unique game experience. There’s nothing else quite like it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: