http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 01:56:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal Gear Acid 2  (Read 878 times)
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2006, 08:13:36 PM »

Has anyone played this? If so, can you comment on the save system? I read nearly every review and can't find this information anywhere...

My wife is expecting to give birth any day now and I am looking for a good strategy game to while away the hours (more like two days) at the hospital in the recovery wing for new mothers as my wife sleeps.

I'm torn between this and Age of Empires for the DS
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 08:17:38 PM »

I've got a review in, but it hasnt posted yet due to e3 stuff.  That said, you can save between missions, and you can save at any point during missions.  The only downside to the save system is that a 'during mission' save is not removed when you load it.  You have to go back and delete it yourself later on in an intermission.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 08:32:43 PM »

Dreamshadow - Any other comments? Is it enjoyable? Is your review favorable?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 09:08:53 PM »

Before I tell you...I want to clue you in on my reviewer bias on this on...

I'm a sucker for a collectable card game.  MGA2 (and the first one) made me very happy.  I can satify my desire for collecting cards and building decks all day long, and I only have to buy the game. smile  

That said.. I liked the game.  It is a decent turn based tactical game.  Once you get about 100 or cards in your hands, the deck starts to really get customized.  I really think the feature that is missing (and I need to add this to my review) is the ability to save decks.  If I have a stealth level, I'm going to set up my cards one way.  Later on you have a level you have to snipe your way through...required a completely different kind of deck.  Aside from this flaw, the game seems to be well balanced, and I enjoy playing through the maps just to sneak through or kill all the guards.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 09:09:13 PM »

It's a great game.  I'm not sure that's a downside, Dreamshadow, since you can just save over it again during a mission if you want.

I find the game to be quite enjoyable.  It stays true to the metal gear formula of patrolling guards, hiding under tables, etc.  I really like the integration of cutscene's from MGS games that are thrown in there, too.

And also, perhaps my favorite aspect of the game, once you complete a mission, on that map, a few other game-types pop up.  They're totally optional, but if you want to buy more packs of cards, you can go ahead and play through them.  There's a normal elimination, stealth...but also "trial" missions that are more like a puzzle.  The scenario gives you the cards you need to use and you figure out how to complete their task.  I've sat, puzzled at a mission for about an hour until I finally figured out how to do it.  So there's lots of replay value in that and I'm not sure if the major reviews out there touched upon that.

If you're only debating between Ac!dē and Age of Empires, I'd recommend Ac!dē to every gamer, unless that gamer was totally infatuated with the whole AoE series, then they may enjoy the DS AoE.  I found it to be super slow, sort of ugly and just disappointing.  Ac!dē, on the other hand, impresses me the more time I put into it.

(I totally know you didn't ask me, but hey, I have experience with both games and only want to pass on some advice)

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 10:14:17 PM »

the reason i didn't start a thread on mga2 however many weeks ago it was released is because it would've consisted of nothing but lots of over-the-top gushing - i love the acid games, as much for the collectable aspect that dreamshadow mentions as any other, but also everything else: the gameplay, the pacing, the out-there storytelling (with the first one being the better), the mishmash of weird characters, the graphics (with the second one being the better), & let's not forget the music (strongly recommend the dual soundtrack cd - excellent!)...

like tml, i'd recommend both games to any gamer. perfect portable gaming...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 11:49:41 PM »

I haven't played MGA2 (yet) but I love the first game.  It's really incredible how thyey were able to do turn based, card collecting gameplay without sacrficing the stealth elements at the core of the series.  The learning curve (for the first game at least) was a bit steep, but I can' recommend it enough and from what I've heard, MGA2 is an all around improvement.

I do share Destructor's desire for the ability to save decks though- it's a pretty obvious omission.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 02:31:23 AM »

The 2nd is hands-down better than the first (with the possible exception of story, but I'm not far enough into 2 to know) and I enjoyed the first. More in-depth strategy (e.g. trap and linkage cards), much more fluid gameplay (CQC/opening doors/picking up items while moving), color palette is more conducive to playing in brightly lit conditions, being able to choose from 3 bonus missions on each map, better quality visuals on special cards...I could go on.

Great game.

I also have AoE and it's neat, but a much more conventional strategy game.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 03:34:31 AM »

I can't see Metal Gear any more without thinking about "Metal Gear Awesome".
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 12:07:50 PM »

I own both as well . . . go with Acid2 . . . just make sure you can drag yourself away for the delivery . . .  :lol:
BTW . . . congrats.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 06:30:21 PM »

Thanks for all of the responses. I picked up MGA2 today and haven't had a chance to even open it yet...I can post up some impressions as soon as I have a chance to play..Come on labor!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 08:03:03 PM »

How's the loading times for this?  You guys have me seriously tempted to pick this up.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 08:16:06 PM »

All I can say is they've never bothered me....the only time it gets to be a nuisance at all is when reloading repeatedly after buying card packs from the card shop and getting junk....not that I'd EVER do such a thing....  :twisted:

Ruining language with my terrible words.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 11:49:27 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
All I can say is they've never bothered me....the only time it gets to be a nuisance at all is when reloading repeatedly after buying card packs from the card shop and getting junk....not that I'd EVER do such a thing....  :twisted:

agreed: the only noticeable loading times are the ones you yourself create (kinda sleazy, but worth it)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 02:16:46 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
How's the loading times for this?  You guys have me seriously tempted to pick this up.

MGA (the first one at least) is notable for being one of the few PSP titles that is designed to be truly portable.  Almost negligible load times, no FMVs to skip through every time you start the game, save anywhere, instant restore from sleep mode (in contrast to excessive loading of game data in X-Men Legends 2 and Warrior Within)...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: