http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:20:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Messed up PS2 disc - Any suggestions?  (Read 1207 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2005, 05:56:48 AM »

So there I was, enjoying my playtime through God of War when I got to a save point and it froze up.  So, I hit the reset button, play through the same 20 minutes get to the save point and try again...it freezes up again.  SO I make the decision to go PAST the save point so I hit reset, play the same 20 minutes to the save point then continue on...well, about 20 seconds later on, the "Now Loading" comes up at the button of the screen and it just freezes up.

My God of War disk is bad.  My roomie has the game and I tested his copy out on my ps2 and it works fine.  I'd return it, but I lost the receipt (I usually keep them - dangit!).  My roomie has the receipt for his copy which I could use to exchange games...but I want to try a little experiment.  

I remember people having methods of boiling cds and things like that.  Maybe that's all my poor God of War disc needs - so before I get this exchanged, any ideas to see if I could get this one to work?  And BTW, there's no scratches or anything on the bottom....

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 06:10:42 AM »

Oh god, boiling GOW. GOod luck tml you crazy bastage.
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 07:10:17 AM »

You are lucky to have another reciept.  Don't do something retarded that you will regret later.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 09:14:41 AM »

Boiling DVDs only helps with certain problems.  I wouldn't take the chance that the problem your disc has is one of them.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 10:15:12 AM »

If the problem comes from scratches on the surface of your disc, then you can easily fix that.  Quite a few DVD places have disc resurfacing machines in back, they can literally bring the surface back to new condition, even with deep scratches.

My friend's PS2 broke and ate up 3 of his games, these were seriously deep scratches all over the place.  We took it to a local game shop and they ran the machine on it, it came out in pristine condition.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 10:43:21 AM »

I think I won't mess around - just seems like it got recorded wrong or something rather than a surface problem.  But when does boiling work and what is the technique?  Just for reference biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 03:26:05 PM »

never tried it myself, but looks like it works, the thread where folks talked about it is here:

http://consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5325

personally, i wouldn't use it on anything other than a disc you've given up on, or a $5 one - or a demo disc... Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 03:48:48 PM »

There's also those DVD/CD restorers you can buy at Best Buy or EB (called the Game Dr. perhaps). I've used it a couple of times before and it usually works (even for deeply scratched games).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: