http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 06:38:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mercenaries Impressions  (Read 13283 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2005, 06:40:57 PM »

there's another one in the N province where you have to drop jeeps into a nuclear reactor.  it's surprisingly more difficult then you would think.  the drivers always try to roll off the rim of the reactor.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2005, 04:57:29 AM »

I got a great tip from the game tonight and had a lot of fun with it. Grab a vehicle, civilian or news cars work best. Jump on the hood and plant a C4 charge. Jump in the vehicle and drive towards your target and then hit the left trigger to jump out. Right before the car hits anything trigger the C4. Enjoy the fireworks. biggrin

I love how deliriously twisted this game is with military hardware and firepower. The Mafia mission where as a bonus you can bribe a Chinese official to launch an artillery barrage against your friends while you take out the NK's. Perfect cover - run towards your allies then toss the barrage grenade, then spin around and charge back towards the NK's. While the allies get hammered by the barrage, you take out the NK's in front of them and actually accrue faction while killing your friends. biggrin

Funny story: Mafia mission where you have to kill four targets, with the bonus being the mission completion without letting anyone know it was you who did the killing. I take out the first target, then see the second target moving in the Allied hum-vee. I jump out and zoom in with my sniper rifle then fire through the back window where I guesstimated the driver's head to be. Sure enough, a solid hit and everyone jumped out. My next shot took out the second target. I took out the third, then went after the fourth who was on a patrol. I spotted a great hill to take the shot from and drove up it right into an NK encampment where a firefight ensued. After taking them out I retreated due to their bunkers reinforcing their position. I get to ground level and see him coming around the corner. I drive my civilian vehicle a good ways down the road and park off to the side, kneel by the side of the car and line up my shot. Right as he starts to come through the fog, I take the shot and that's four. Mission pay plus bonus = good times. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2005, 10:51:15 PM »

What is the save system like in this game? Can you save any time?

See my list of games I have and want.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2005, 10:52:18 PM »

Quote from: "Nakor"

On the PS2 version, at least, its a bit wonky. You CAN save anywhere, but it mostly just saves your faction stats, your health, your money, and your progress. It doesn't save your location or your vehicles.

PSN ID: EduardoX
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2005, 12:11:40 AM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"

On the PS2 version, at least, its a bit wonky. You CAN save anywhere, but it mostly just saves your faction stats, your health, your money, and your progress. It doesn't save your location or your vehicles.

Huh. I thought that was limited to the XBox. Go figure. So yes, you can save anywhere just don't expect to have that shiny new NK tank with you when you restart.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2005, 10:52:56 PM »

well that's not perfect, but it's a lot better than checkpoints.

See my list of games I have and want.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2005, 11:59:56 PM »

well that's not perfect, but it's a lot better than checkpoints.
Or driving to a garage to save.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2005, 07:01:51 PM »

Anyone else notice the Star Wars references scattered through out? Be they blue prints or the scroll at the bottom of the news casts following the capture of an Ace. I'm laughing at quite a lot of them as I find them. smile

ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2005, 08:56:57 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Anyone else notice the Star Wars references scattered through out? Be they blue prints or the scroll at the bottom of the news casts following the capture of an Ace. I'm laughing at quite a lot of them as I find them. smile

Or Han Solo as a playable character?  No kidding.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2005, 09:02:27 PM »

Once I unlocked that cheat, I've been playing with Solo as much as possible just because it's so damn cool. But picking up a blueprints that turned out to be the Kessel Starcharts was too much. biggrin

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2005, 07:19:45 PM »

What is the story with Stealth in this game?  I was doing a Russian job to eliminate 4 potential moles "queitly" and could never accomplish it for the bonus?  They said "don't let the reporter see you do it."  I tried a few times witht he sniper rifle and even a helicopter once (to get ontop of a building).  But every time I was foiled.  Any tips?
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2005, 02:49:06 PM »

Mafia elimination mission spoiler!.

Wait a few minutes for him to finish his speach then take him out when he's out of sight of the reporter.  He'll hop in a hummer and you can snipe him out of that on the road outside of town etc.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2005, 05:45:47 PM »

I managed to off him while the reporter was interviewing him, actually. I got to the far side of the parking lot off to the side of the road and took the shot. I had to slightly guess whether the shot would hit the AN guy in the head, but it did and I was able to go on about my way and still get the bonus. The goal is that the reporter does not see YOU actually pull the trigger, and if you are far enough out then there's nothing to worry about.

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2005, 06:53:06 PM »

Yeah i did it way way back on the road.  the guy was nothing but a shadow in my scope when i nailed him.  Worked like a charm.

AttA
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2005, 09:13:49 PM »

BTW Atta - I beat it last night and you were right - that final mission only offers about 20 different ways to approach it. As I got access to the Cheaters weapon drop, I picked that up and about fell out laughing at the sheer amount of firepower each gun has. biggrin I'm going through it again with the intent of executing each of the 52, including Song. Trying to be more stealthy then. Of course, with $108 million in the bank, it might be too much to resist just carpet bombing the holy shit out of everything in sight. biggrin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: