http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:29:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mercenaries Impressions  (Read 13294 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2005, 01:55:02 PM »

Tee hee!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 01:16:53 AM »

damn.  i even clicked on this after reading that there were no responses.  

on to page 2!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 01:45:39 AM »

The case looks nice and isn't too heavy... :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 04:16:40 AM »

Initial Impressions after 5 hours of play:

It sucked me in big time. I forgot about dinner  The graphics are great, and the whole 'fog' issue isn't too bad. Vehicle controls are very easy to pick up, although flying can be very hazardous. So far i've caught about 6 cards. The initial cards are somewhat easy but each suit represents a different section of the army and the first suit available is mostly the 'business' section.

On the side there are the different factions that have jobs for you plus varius challenges where you race around or try and complete a task in a set amount of time.

All in all it's fun. It even pulled me away from WoW

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 06:33:08 AM »

i thought this was comin out in a couple more days?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 08:31:29 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri1"
i thought this was comin out in a couple more days?

It's out now.  The TV commercials say the 13th but Gamestop got it yesterday.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 09:26:11 PM »

So the big question... coop?  Dare I ask... is it System Linkable?

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
JeffG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 10:11:14 PM »

No mulitplayer whatsoever.

Even so - my initial impression of this game is 'wow.'  

It's like Silent Storm meets GTA.

Everything is destructable.  EVERYTHING.  It's fun, fast, funny, beautiful and NEVER dips below 60FPS on xbox.  It's huge - no loads!  I drove up a tall mountain, into rolling clouds, then back down again into a sunny orchard.  The game cycled from dawn to midday - painting everything in different colors.  Just incredible.

This game is a must have.  The honeymoon might wear off but I'm doubting it.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 12:00:32 PM »

I played the demo from the OXM disc and was really impressed.  I usually don't enjoy demos that much, but this one was a blast.  I will be picking this one up.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 02:16:12 PM »

Damn you guys...pulled in by my own forum effect....

Guess I need to hunt this down.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 03:47:01 PM »

Well i gotta say this is one hell of a game.  i finished the Clubs suit  right before i went to bed last night.  i pulled in the Ace of clubs for a cool 150 grand, bringing my total to a bit over a million.  I know people are saying this  is like a military GTA, but personaly i think its more analogous to Mafia.   When i play GTA (any of them)  I feel like im doing a bunch of small unrelated missions so i can advance the story a little bit after a butt load of play.  Mafia and now Mercs does not do that.  Everything seems connected, everything seems to have a point, and an effect on the play world. Even missions that dont have anything to do with a card still seem to matter.  For instance i had to take a north korea missle base.  The faction i got the mish from of course gave me info on another card, but after taking out the missles the SK forces moved in walked all over those communist bastards and took over the base giving me another safe strech of road i can drive on with out dodging RPGs.    the story thing and my effect on the world is the reason why i hate GTA, and these guys did a good job addressing that.

Ohh by the way just a littel tip.  when you set off your first bunker bomb stop and watch the show.  i dont care if you are under fire, watch the show.  its worth it even if you die and have to restart.  one of the single most impressive explosions ive ever seen in a game.  If we gave out Explosion of the year awards, this one would win it.

AttA
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 06:27:11 PM »

damn..... i have it at home, have the manual in my coat, and have 8 hours worth of work to slog through.  i haven't been this jazzed about a game in a while, probably gta: sa, and this one totally slipped under the radar.  all my expectations are waiting on one day's worth of work to get through and not weeks of waiting.  

please, more impressions.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 08:25:59 PM »

Does anybody know any specifics of the deal at EBgames where you get Mercenaries for $25 if you trade in two games?

All I really need is a list of the games that they won't take.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 08:59:23 PM »

the list is here, thinj.  i wish i knew about this earlier, i would have done this instead.

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 10:11:46 PM »

ok i went home today and played a little bit more.  Watch out when you finish the clubs.  Man those diamonds are hard to take out.  No more running at them willy nilly and smacking em with the butt of your rifles.  This is really nice in my opinion because it goes well with the theme of the game.  The clubs where part of what was essentialy a state funded mafia.  They where thugs, and while mildly dangerous, they where not that bad.  The diamonds however are high ranking military and they are some bad bad men.

AttA
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 10:31:33 PM »

I have it in my claws right now. As soon as I tear off the plastic-wrap and get a couple of hours in I'll write up some impressions.

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 04:14:37 AM »

Will there eventually be a PC version?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2005, 06:06:57 AM »

Great game!  Only about an hour in, and it's very fun.  It's a free-roaming game.  If you like jacking tanks and blowing up everything, this is the game.  Lots of exploration.   You get better influence with the South Koreans if you find packages of "weapons of mass destruction".  LOL.   Wish I could find a good chopper.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2005, 06:30:22 AM »

Ok, impressions after about 5 hours of play. I bold that because I bought it today, and simply could not put it down.

First: Graphics.
They're fluid, detailed, and pretty. The one downside to them is the fog and draw-in. It's very noticeable at times, specifically if you're flying around at high altitude in a helicopter. But in general, I think the game's beautiful and does exactly what it's supposed to. It shows a very war-torn area, and lights it up brilliantly every time you blow something up smile

Sound is average, but again does it's job extremely well. Not a whole to say other than that the voice-acting is what I would consider to be above average, and far better than some other games I've picked up recently. Mechassault 2, I'm looking at you!

Gameplay is essentially a version of Grand-Theft auto, but without all the silliness. It's all military, and way more entertaining than that series. If you played the GTA games and thought "Well, this is cool and all, but I'm tired of just being a petty criminal.. I want to make things go boom and get paid for it!" then you're a lot like me, and this game is for you. Your goals are to take jobs from four seperate factions, do your best to stay in favor with each of them, and at the same time round up the deck of 52. I've finished rounding up the Clubs, just grabbing the Ace about 15 minutes ago. They get progressively more difficult, and you can essentially find them in whatever order, and whenever you want to. The exception is the ace, that's a special mission. But the rest of it is all up to you. You really don't have to capture any of them if you don't want to, as long as you get the ace. Controls are simple, accurate, and easy to use.

There's plenty more there to talk about, but honestly.. you should all be playing it for yourselves.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 03:14:15 PM »

Man...that list of exclusions is EXHAUSTIVE!

Looks like I'll be waiting for a sale! frown
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 03:30:48 PM »

Thin J
How about that bunkerbuster?

AttA
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2005, 03:41:29 PM »

Got this yesterday at EB for $35.  I didn't have any trade ins... since I am a former manager I asked if they had any cheap PS2/XB/GC preowned games that weren't exlcuded... so they looked it up for me.  Bought the two games for $10, then traded them right back in to get the deal, so $24.99 + the $10 I had just spent.  Not a bad deal at all... you may want to ask in your local store about doing this...most stores will help you out to do this as it boosts thier trade ins and preowned sales, something which is highly looked at within the company.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2005, 04:41:42 AM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
Thin J
How about that bunkerbuster?

Best videogame explosion evar.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 02:58:28 PM »

I picked this up Saturday morning, and wow.  Well, sorta WoW, it actually pulled me away from WoW for several hours in a row Saturday which is mightily impressive.

I'd been planning to buy this one since i first saw it mentioned on IGN, but i held off for impressions and reviews.  For the first time in a while, I can say buying it day 1, I wouldn't have felt cheated at all=)

This game is brilliant and I love it.  It's the most fun i've had on a console to date (I first started consoles about 6 months ago).

All I can really say about the game is I totaly agree with what everyone else posted here about it, its simply amazing, just felt like throwing that in as another confirmation that this game is pure gold.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »

Quick question...

*spoiler*
After collecting enough bounty items I unlocked a cheat to turn into a russian maffia "heavy".  Does anyone know how to change back, and will that allow me to go into russian controlled territory without being attacked?
*end spoiler*

Overall I am really loving this game.  It has sucked me in.  I am really not a fan of the GTA series as they always bored me, but not this game.  I really wish they had put in a coop 2 player.  A friend was over and we were saying how fun it would be having one driving other manning the gun.  Does anyone know if a PC version is planned...?  If so I hope they put something like this in, would be a blast.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2005, 03:36:02 PM »

I love nothing more than mass destruction in my games  :mrgreen:

Looks like I need to buy this game ASAP  thumbsup

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2005, 04:35:20 PM »

I picked up mercs on Friday and I have to say, despite no multiplayer the game is a lot of fun.  I'm just about half way through the game and so far the the missions have been fun, the vehicles and factions interesting, the air strikes are very cool.

Among my favorite things to do during freeplay:
1. Capture North Korean attack copters (by grabbing hte skids when they fly too low smile ) and hunting NK sam sites.
2. Head to the bridge south of the Pyongyang airport and help the Chinese stem the NK tide from the south (at least while I've been hunting the diamonds the NK has contantly been assaulting the chinese there)
3. Borrow an AN blackbird and a full load of troops and fly around until I find something worthy of assaulting, drop into the middle and unload my troops, then fly to a nearby mountain top to call down airstrikes and snipe as the troops attack.
4. Pick a nice hill with a flat top for resupply and ambush enemy vehicles heading down the road.

That's just for starters.  The best thing about the game to me is that they did a good job of making the world seem alive.  Sometimes you will see nothing but humvees and jeeps patroling, but sometimes you will stumble on a major assault that you can hop into and help defeat.

Weapons in the game are nice and varied, plus having the supply drop option allows you to use whatever weapon you want as much as you want as you can call for resupply whenever you run low.  So far I'd have to say the light MG is my favorite weapon.  Not only is the 100 round clip size handy in a big fight, the standard NK ammo fits into the weapon, meaning I can go for a while without neading a supply drop.  The carbine comes in a close second, it has a nice feel to it, but I like the extra ammo of the LMG too much to give up.

More later.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2005, 05:13:25 PM »

Quick update, i am now halfway through the game.  ive captured the Ace of clubs and Diamonds now.  After capping the Ace of diamonds the game opens up a bit more, and you get a whole new map to explore.  I thought that was worth mentioning.

AttA
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2005, 05:26:16 PM »

Quick update, i am now halfway through the game.  ive captured the Ace of clubs and Diamonds now.  After capping the Ace of diamonds the game opens up a bit more, and you get a whole new map to explore.  I thought that was worth mentioning.

Sweet!  I was stuck last night on the Ace of Diamonds missions and was getting frustrated, but if there is a new map to use once i nail him, then I might be able to give it a few more goes.

SPOILER

Any tips on getting in to the area around the prototype gun?  One the Ace of diamonds mission I call in a NK armored APC right when I drop in, and I use that to get all the way to the entrance to the prototype gun, but I keep getting killed because the officer at the gate always spots me... hmmm which does give me an idea... maybe if I had a sniper rifle... hmmm. smile

Any other tips would be appreciated.

s

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2005, 05:38:36 PM »

mispost trying to figure out how to delete it all together.

AttA
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2005, 05:39:10 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

Sweet!  I was stuck last night on the Ace of Diamonds missions and was getting frustrated, but if there is a new map to use once i nail him, then I might be able to give it a few more goes.

SPOILER

Any tips on getting in to the area around the prototype gun?  One the Ace of diamonds mission I call in a NK armored APC right when I drop in, and I use that to get all the way to the entrance to the prototype gun, but I keep getting killed because the officer at the gate always spots me... hmmm which does give me an idea... maybe if I had a sniper rifle... hmmm. smile

Any other tips would be appreciated.

s

Spoilers dont read if you dont want to know.

Order a supply drop for  the NK BMP.  The one with the 75mm slug thrower on the top.  This is a shielded  BMP and is needed to make it through the irradiated zone around the gun.  After your BMP drops make sure the chopper is gone and then get in.  If the chopper is far enough away you will get your disguise right there on the beach.  Now mosey on through the NK ambush there in the woods.  when you get to the road  take a left This is the long way around but its for the best.  After driving a while and right before you get to the point where the 2 roads meet up at the rad zone,  you will see a tower on your right and a fenced in set of barracks to your left.  There is an officer in that fence so stay right righ against the trees so that you dont get spotted.  That worked for me 2 out of 3 times.   if you cant get that to work then no biggie, just back up and park your self near the tower across the road from the fenced in section.  Call in your self a carpet bomber and level that whole yard.  jump back in your BMP and carry on.  The only thing is if you do this you will have to clear out the area around the tower to get your disguise back.

More spoilers incase you  are past this and need more info

Ok once you make it though the rad zone take  a right at the Xroads on the other side of the bridge.  your contact will pop up and tell you that she found a way to destroy the gun.  She wants u to use a slightly smaller gun to target and kill the big gun.  You can find a dirt road leading to this smaller gun on the very west side of the isle.   Once you get to the dirt road in question you will notice the road curves around the right side of a small building.  there is an officer over there so a little bit of off roading is in order.   Take a left around the back side of that building so that you can avoid the officer.  Once you see the road to that gun you will be glad you did.  At the top o the hill clean out the NK infantry and shoot the big gun.  Once you do this you will get a fix on the Ace.  

If you need any info on taking down the ace, let me know and ill help you out.

AttA
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2005, 05:49:41 PM »

So on a side note, how are you guys doing on the deck of 52.  Where are you now in the list, and are you killing or capping the cards?  

So far i have taken down all of the clubs and the diamonds thats numbers and faces.  So far i have not had to kill any of the cards.  The Ace of diamonds was really hard and i almost decided to just kill him and get it over with, but later captured him as well. .

AttA
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2005, 06:10:52 PM »

i've been capping everyone, except for one lowly number who managed to get stuck underneath my humvee slywink.  the bonus money pays off enough to make it worth the hassle.  the danger to the extraction chopper makes it very important to fully clear the LZ, as it costs 25k to replace one of them.  

haven't done the ace of clubs yet as i want to do all the missions first.  do the random missions change after an ace gets brought down?  

i love blowing stuff up, and the control of the choppers and heavy machinery is spot on.  if only the t-54 had a barrel mounted mg.  i hate wasting AT rounds on rpg soldiers.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2005, 06:21:08 PM »

I love it when a game comes out of nowhere, with minimal hype, and ends up being as good as Mercenaries.

Some fun things I've done so far:

- Grab the large helicopter (not sure if the scout helicopters can do this) just outside the AN base to the SW, and fly around jacking vehicles.  Drop the vehicle from the wench at the mafia chop shop garage door, land on the roof, and run down and drive the vehicle in the garage for $.

- Fill up a transport with a multi-national task force.  I like to grab a few people from each faction and drive around looking for trouble.  We then all jump out and assault together as a well organized multi-national task force.  

- You can snipe the pilots of helicopters pretty easy with the sniper rifle.  If the helo is not too high off the ground, it will drop straight down and you have a free helo!  If it's too high, it will spin out of control and crash.

- Grab a tank or bmp, find a bunker spawn point, and blow away anything that dares to exit the bunker or tunnel.  Sometimes vehicles will continue to pour out for a nice string of $$ until the tunnel blows up.  

I wish there were parking lots where you could save your best vehicles (like the garages in GTA).  I know you can save 1 vehicle by getting out and talking with a faction guard, but I'm not sure if that vehicle will still be in their lot if I grab another vehicle and speak to a different faction guard.  Anyone try this yet?
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2005, 07:05:23 PM »

you get a whole new map to explore. I thought that was worth mentioning

Holy Cheese!  Worth mentioning?????????

I thought all it had was the starting map and it was enough for me to be very very happy with!

Another map?!?!?!  <precensored for overexcited content>

YES!  This is the kind of gameplay that makes me a gamer!
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2005, 07:13:53 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I love it when a game comes out of nowhere, with minimal hype, and ends up being as good as Mercenaries.

Some fun things I've done so far:

- Fill up a transport with a multi-national task force.  I like to grab a few people from each faction and drive around looking for trouble.  We then all jump out and assault together as a well organized multi-national task force

I wish there were parking lots where you could save your best vehicles (like the garages in GTA).  I know you can save 1 vehicle by getting out and talking with a faction guard, but I'm not sure if that vehicle will still be in their lot if I grab another vehicle and speak to a different faction guard.  Anyone try this yet?
 Ive got an old Mafia technical that still sitting out side of the AN from like the 3rd or 4th mission and a civi car out side of the chineese HQ thats been sitting there for a long time as well.  

As for your idea about the multi national task force.  that is actualy very useful.  If a member of one of the other factions sees you kill an NK soldier that is engaged with other allied forces you will get faction for the deed.  If you have a multi national assault force you can get a faction bonus for all the factions with just one kill.

AttA
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2005, 07:17:10 PM »

I gotta try that trick.  I keep pissing people off with my strongarm tactics so I occasionlly have to build a little faction up=)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2005, 07:20:01 PM »

While I very much enjoyed Mercenaries up through the clubs, I have hit a definate wall with the diamonds. I guess its because the gameplay is just getting a tad repetetive, so I trun it on and do a mission or two, and then feel bored. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as this is a game that is SO easy to just play for 30 minutes at a time.

One thing that frustrates me is that you dont really get a lot of hints about the cards without doign missions and the only missions I have left squarely pit one faction against each other and I have been at least trying to stay away from that...
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2005, 07:27:34 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
While I very much enjoyed Mercenaries up through the clubs, I have hit a definate wall with the diamonds. I guess its because the gameplay is just getting a tad repetetive, so I trun it on and do a mission or two, and then feel bored. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as this is a game that is SO easy to just play for 30 minutes at a time.

One thing that frustrates me is that you dont really get a lot of hints about the cards without doign missions and the only missions I have left squarely pit one faction against each other and I have been at least trying to stay away from that...

Bleh get over it and pill those suckers off.  you should not care if they are happy or not, your a merc lol.  Seriously tho if you plan on doing the faction missions then you are gonna piss people off.  not much you can do but avoid it.  The good news is people like money and the factions are no exception.  simply grab a car disguise your self and go to the faction HQ.  talk to the guard and pay him 100gs to like you again.  If you are capping the cards and not killing them, then thats chump change.  

As far as finding the number cards, i find the best way to do it is to grab a chopper.  Fly over the places those hints vaugly point too and most of the time you will have no problem finding them.

Of course this requires you to know where AA is but thats a whole nother can of worms.  Ohh by the way one of those number cards has a hint that says general so and so was in charge of the NK air defense and that if they where you they would not attack from the air..... well they are telling the truth.

AttA
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2005, 07:29:19 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

Bleh get over it and pill those suckers off.  you should not care if they are happy or not, your a merc lol.  Seriously tho if you plan on doing the faction missions then you are gonna piss people off.  not much you can do but avoid it.  The good news is people like money and the factions are no exception.  simply grab a car disguise your self and go to the faction HQ.  talk to the guard and pay him 100gs to like you again.  If you are capping the cards and not killing them, then thats chump change.  

As far as finding the number cards, i find the best way to do it is to grab a chopper.  Fly over the places those hints vaugly point too and most of the time you will have no problem finding them.

Ok this all makes sense-but you cannto find the number cards until you have intel right? ANd you dont get that intel until you do the faction missions, so essentially there is no choice-you must do at least the majority of them..l
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: