http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 02:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mercenaries 2: PS3, PS2, 360 and PC!  (Read 2265 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2007, 03:32:51 PM »

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/766/766680p1.html

Whoa.  The one that boggles my mind is the PS2 port.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 03:38:42 PM »

NICE!! If they all come out at the same time I can just buy whichever the reviews say is the best (of the ps3, 360, and pc choices obviously)
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 03:38:54 PM »

Great news!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:43:56 PM »

With crackdown, and now Mercenaries 2...open game world heaven for the 360!

I absolutely loved the first Mercenaries game, can't wait for this one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »

Well, from the sounds of it the PS3/360 versions will be the same, so I may end up picking this up on the 360 or the PC (since I already own one and since this isn't an exclusive it doesn't fall into my 'Rule of Five' for the PS3) depending on the reviews.  I actually never finished the first one and they haven't made it BC yet so I traded it in awhile back.

Nice to see they're still supporting the PS2 though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 03:48:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 22, 2007, 03:47:04 PM

Well, from the sounds of it the PS3/360 versions will be the same, so I may end up picking this up on the 360 or the PC (since I already own one and since this isn't an exclusive it doesn't fall into my 'Rule of Five' for the PS3) depending on the reviews.  I actually never finished the first one and they haven't made it BC yet so I traded it in awhile back.

Yeah unless the graphics or control is better on ps3 through reviews, I will likely get the 360 version SOLELY because of achievements. I dont know if sony can or is thinking about bringing back the entitlement concept that was scrapped, but I really wish they would. Its so pathetic and small of me, but I really like achievement points.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 03:53:36 PM »

I liked, but did not love Mercenaries as I found it had too much driving and repetition of missions.

However, it was/is the PERFECT game for achievements so I may end up getting it.

George Patton: Shoot down 10 helicopters with a pistol.

Pascifist: Take 8 face cards without firing a shot

Bloody rampage: Kill 40 civilians.

No Free Press: Kill 4 reporters.

etc.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 04:05:02 PM »

Well, I guess I'm adding Mercenaries to my backlog of games I want to replay.  Maybe I'll just break down and buy Crackdown instead.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 04:19:17 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 22, 2007, 04:05:02 PM

Well, I guess I'm adding Mercenaries to my backlog of games I want to replay.  Maybe I'll just break down and buy Crackdown instead.

Hmm. I wouldn't think that Mercenaries would be a very good replay game....at least IMO.

Sure you could have some skirmishes, but those skirmishes will always refresh (one of my biggest complaints about the game) and you can do it all over again at any time.

I hope the new version is a bit more real world...so if you destroy an enemy base it stays destroyed until it is rebuilt (in real game time).  Also, I hope the saves will be dynamic so that the world as it is as at the point of saving is how it is when you load back in.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 04:31:07 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 03:38:42 PM

NICE!! If they all come out at the same time I can just buy whichever the reviews say is the best (of the ps3, 360, and pc choices obviously)

if i had a ps3,i would proberbly stick to buying the 360 version .....mainly because of XBOX LIVE(i have many friends on there you see,incase of LIVE or co-op games)..and because of the achievements...i think 360 is my default system,if a game came out on all systems

does the ps3 have anything like achievements?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 04:44:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 22, 2007, 04:31:07 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 03:38:42 PM

if i had a ps3,i would proberbly stick to buying the 360 version .....mainly because of XBOX LIVE(i have many friends on there you see,incase of LIVE or co-op games)..and because of the achievements...i think 360 is my default system,if a game came out on all systems

does the ps3 have anything like achievements?

No it does not. It was going to (rumored to) but it never happened. I would be shocked if they don't attempt to integrate something of that nature in eventually though.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 05:21:04 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa!

IF they did co-op that would be hot!

Or MP vs matches!

OMG...MY HEAD ASPLODE!!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 06:11:04 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 22, 2007, 05:21:04 PM

Whoa whoa whoa!

Or MP vs matches!

OMG...MY HEAD ASPLODE!!

No joke. Some camper/sniper would have a hard time capping people once someone drops a bunker buster on top of his head. This game could possibly be the greatest ever. Here's hoping it's as exciting as the original and bear in mind that I love the original, faults and all.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 06:20:21 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 22, 2007, 06:11:04 PM

Quote from: ATB on February 22, 2007, 05:21:04 PM

Whoa whoa whoa!

Or MP vs matches!

OMG...MY HEAD ASPLODE!!

No joke. Some camper/sniper would have a hard time capping people once someone drops a bunker buster on top of his head. This game could possibly be the greatest ever. Here's hoping it's as exciting as the original and bear in mind that I love the original, faults and all.

Is the original backwards compatible? I got about halfway through and never finished it and I am REALLY jonesing to play. If not, is the PS2 version any good?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 06:21:52 PM »

It's not BC for the 360, no. A buddy of mine had the PS2 version and it seemed to run just fine but I only played on it briefly.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 06:26:02 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 03:48:41 PM

Yeah unless the graphics or control is better on ps3 through reviews, I will likely get the 360 version SOLELY because of achievements. I dont know if sony can or is thinking about bringing back the entitlement concept that was scrapped, but I really wish they would. Its so pathetic and small of me, but I really like achievement points.

+1

Achievement Points are the best thing that MS has done so far with the 360. Unless the graphics are way better on the PS3, Ill be picking up multi-platform games on the 360.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 22, 2007, 06:21:52 PM

It's not BC for the 360, no. A buddy of mine had the PS2 version and it seemed to run just fine but I only played on it briefly.

OK thanks going to try to find it cheap.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 06:29:30 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 22, 2007, 06:26:02 PM

+1

Achievement Points are the best thing that MS has done so far with the 360. Unless the graphics are way better on the PS3, Ill be picking up multi-platform games on the 360.

Other than some sports games (for downloadable rosters) this is my plan as well. And I also agree that the achievements are up there. For me they are #2 behind the entire live setup and interface. I dunno Hetz, what do you think-will entitlements return?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 06:31:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 06:29:30 PM

+1

Other than some sports games (for downloadable rosters) this is my plan as well. And I also agree that the achievements are up there. For me they are #2 behind the entire live setup and interface. I dunno Hetz, what do you think-will entitlements return?

I hope so. I really hope that Sony sees how popular stuff like that is.

There is something like it in Resistance. You get points and unlock stuff based on completing things throughout the game.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 06:35:06 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 22, 2007, 06:31:49 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 06:29:30 PM

+1

I hope so. I really hope that Sony sees how popular stuff like that is.

There is something like it in Resistance. You get points and unlock stuff based on completing things throughout the game.

Yeah-probably in case the concept made it in. I dont see it being too difficult to incorporate in a big firmware update if they really want to do it. lets keep our fingers crossed.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 06:39:14 PM »

At E3 2005 they showed us some achievement-like stuff but it has never been mentioned since.  Maybe they didn't wanna 'me too'.  Of course, with as cool as Achievements are (it requires caps baby!) they might have to rethink that. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »

Woohoo!  I loved Mercenaries.  One of my favorite games on the Xbox.  I hope they're able to keep the same sand box, open feel of the original on the 360. 
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 07:23:59 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 06:35:06 PM

Yeah-probably in case the concept made it in. I dont see it being too difficult to incorporate in a big firmware update if they really want to do it. lets keep our fingers crossed.

It's meaningless without also requiring that game developers implement support for it (and, clearly, that's not going to happen for anything that's already shipped).
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 07:37:32 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 22, 2007, 07:23:59 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 06:35:06 PM

It's meaningless without also requiring that game developers implement support for it (and, clearly, that's not going to happen for anything that's already shipped).

Its not meaningless for anything coming forward if it ever works out, and I mean, we all know it would have to be mandatory for the devs. Not sure what you are getting at-obviously they aren't going to BC in the current slew of games if this ever happens.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 07:41:27 PM by Calvin » Logged
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 08:06:55 PM »

/agree

nerd points ftw

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 08:13:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 07:37:32 PM

Its not meaningless for anything coming forward if it ever works out, and I mean, we all know it would have to be mandatory for the devs. Not sure what you are getting at-obviously they aren't going to BC in the current slew of games if this ever happens.

My point is just that it's not a simple thing to shoehorn in:  if developers are required to implement it, then that's a new feature added to their schedules and up-front design planning necessary to decide what the achievements are for, implement hooks to tie it into the achievement API, etc.  Even if Sony announced an API for it tomorrow, it'd be awhile before they could enforce it.  The platform hooks are the hardest thing to get right on the first try, and also the hardest thing to implement after the fact (online presence, messaging between games, etc on the Xbox side, for example are all in their second iteration after being only somewhat useful the first time around).  It's just an observation:  not a criticism...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 08:15:28 PM »

Hopefully, this explains why some of the recently-released screenshots look like PS2 shots.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 08:25:44 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 22, 2007, 08:13:49 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 22, 2007, 07:37:32 PM

My point is just that it's not a simple thing to shoehorn in:  if developers are required to implement it, then that's a new feature added to their schedules and up-front design planning necessary to decide what the achievements are for, implement hooks to tie it into the achievement API, etc.  Even if Sony announced an API for it tomorrow, it'd be awhile before they could enforce it.  The platform hooks are the hardest thing to get right on the first try, and also the hardest thing to implement after the fact (online presence, messaging between games, etc on the Xbox side, for example are all in their second iteration after being only somewhat useful the first time around).  It's just an observation:  not a criticism...

Well sure but I thought that was a given  icon_wink
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 08:33:02 PM »

I would've thought it was a given that people'd know that Microsoft's not "holding out" on XBLA games to make people upset, but it turns out that's not the case. slywink

I had a fun time with the first Mercenaries, so I'm glad this one didn't turn out to be a platform exclusive.  Crackdown'll whet my appetite for more sandbox games for sure, so sign me up for this (and GTA IV etc etc etc).  Wikipedia says co-op is confirmed, so I'm double in!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 09:00:09 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 22, 2007, 08:33:02 PM

I would've thought it was a given that people'd know that Microsoft's not "holding out" on XBLA games to make people upset, but it turns out that's not the case. slywink

I had a fun time with the first Mercenaries, so I'm glad this one didn't turn out to be a platform exclusive.  Crackdown'll whet my appetite for more sandbox games for sure, so sign me up for this (and GTA IV etc etc etc).  Wikipedia says co-op is confirmed, so I'm double in!

They are not doing it to make people upset, they are doing it because the whole Live Arcade division are a little slow at best and incompetent at worst.

Two head guys over at Live Arcade have left the company now....in the last month. Interesting, no?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 09:04:42 PM »

Oh and the two employees that have bolted are: Ross Erickson (Worldwide Games Portfolio Manager for Live Arcade) and Greg Canessa (XBLA General Manager).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:06:50 PM by Hetz » Logged

Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 09:23:54 PM »

I started off really enjoying the first Mercenaries, and started enjoying it less when I discovered that unlimited, re-occuring enemies started coming out of the bunkers. Then one day I loaded up and headed for the mountains for an assault on that fortified base. I spent alot of time calling in air strikes and stuff to blow up those big assault cannons and other impediments. Then I can't remember if I went somewhere to get more ammo or just stayed in the same area...(it was a while ago afterall), but then next thing I knew most, if not all of the things I blew up 'magically' re-appeared.  finger

I sold the game the next day.

If these 2 problems are eliminated, I'd buy the new version in a second.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 09:27:58 PM »

I undersatnd the winky and find it funny too-but that one shot is going to open the derail floodgates here.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 09:29:58 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 22, 2007, 09:00:09 PM

They are not doing it to make people upset, they are doing it because the whole Live Arcade division are a little slow at best and incompetent at worst.

Two head guys over at Live Arcade have left the company now....in the last month. Interesting, no?

That doesn't surprise me. I spent two years as a MS employee and it was amazing that anything ever got accomplished there despite all the bureaucratic BS that goes on. You can bet that two upper level guys leaving the Live Arcade group has a lot more behind it than just random chance.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »

One less reason to own a PS3 for me.

I love achievements, and until Sony catches up on that front, I would buy the 360 version over a PS3 version all day long.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »

I still think you achievement lovers are crazy, but for me the 360 version would win just for the controller.  When I eventually get a PS3, it'll be for the exclusives.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2007, 03:02:51 PM »

Depends, when you are competing with a friend over a game, who gets what achievement.. its a HOOT it also shows how much someone has played the game... Its just cool.... And I am ill-qualified to say if I prefer the 360 pad to the PS3 I havent even so much as handled a PS3... I will say, the 360 controller is the best I have EVER used.... TO DATE.

And it keeps coming back to teh PS3... An interesting thought, everyone is saying EVENTUALLY I will get one... This seems dangerous for SOny. the more time that passes with the 360 in the lead, the more ground and DEVELOPERS they will lose. This mercenaries announcement IM SURE is due to the XMAS sell through numbers. The fact that the 360 outsold the PS3 last month (BY A SMALL MARGIN) is bad for the PS3 they need to sell two-three times the 360 to even CATCH UP!.... Without exclusives I am STILL struggling justifying the purchase.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 03:06:54 PM by HankRaptor » Logged

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on February 23, 2007, 03:02:51 PM

Depends, when you are competing with a friend over a game, who gets what achievement.. its a HOOT it also shows how much someone has played the game... Its just cool.... And I am ill-qualified to say if I prefer the 360 pad to the PS3 I havent even so much as handled a PS3... I will say, the 360 controller is the best I have EVER used.... TO DATE.

And it keeps coming back to teh PS3... An interesting thought, everyone is saying EVENTUALLY I will get one... This seems dangerous for SOny. the more time that passes with the 360 in the lead, the more ground and DEVELOPERS they will lose. This mercenaries announcement IM SURE is due to the XMAS sell through numbers. The fact that the 360 outsold the PS3 last month (BY A SMALL MARGIN) is bad for the PS3 they need to sell two-three times the 360 to even CATCH UP!.... Without exclusives I am STILL struggling justifying the purchase.

Well as someone who has now used the PS3 controller quite a bit I can tell you that the 360 controller is still the best on the market. I like the PS3 controlelr but it has 3 issues. It is too light (see problem 2), it has no rumble, and the sticks are not offset, which makes it less accurate and precise for shooters and things like that. Still, its a more refined, wireless, comfy version of the dualshock 2, which IMO is still a great controller.

As for the achievements, well I don't really have any competition thing going with friends as Hank does-its more like competition mainly with myself-both for total points and for unlocking certain achievements. Eihter way its an awfully tempting force, even though I do objectively realize its silly.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2007, 03:24:09 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 23, 2007, 03:18:13 PM

Well as someone who has now used the PS3 controller quite a bit I can tell you that the 360 controller is still the best on the market. I like the PS3 controlelr but it has 3 issues. It is too light (see problem 2), it has no rumble, and the sticks are not offset, which makes it less accurate and precise for shooters and things like that. Still, its a more refined, wireless, comfy version of the dualshock 2, which IMO is still a great controller.

As for the achievements, well I don't really have any competition thing going with friends as Hank does-its more like competition mainly with myself-both for total points and for unlocking certain achievements. Eihter way its an awfully tempting force, even though I do objectively realize its silly.

If you stop and think of video games as a whole... its pretty silly how much time we waste.... American Pop Culture is silly... I just tend to throw my hands up, hold my breath and jump in the deep end. If its interesting I read it/Play it/Smoke it... An example is how I know how silly this whole Britney Spears things is, but Ill be damned if I can look away....

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2007, 03:26:51 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on February 23, 2007, 03:24:09 PM

Quote from: Calvin on February 23, 2007, 03:18:13 PM

If you stop and think of video games as a whole... its pretty silly how much time we waste.... American Pop Culture is silly... I just tend to throw my hands up, hold my breath and jump in the deep end. If its interesting I read it/Play it/Smoke it... An example is how I know how silly this whole Britney Spears things is, but Ill be damned if I can look away....

You know-I hear you, but I almost disagree about it being silly as a whole-because I look at it purely like any other hobby-so maybe all hobbies are silly, but I sort of think if its your hobby, its not silly or a waste of time. Some of the rat race type things we do IN games are silly though-one reason why I am just a smidge away from completely quitting all MMOs.

Anyways-Mercenaries-I buy it on PS2 tomorrow to try to replay it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: